Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It got to the point where there’s one good line or joke per episode and you were sat there thinking, well maybe there’ll be TWO next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was up against an appallingly bad family guy episode and even a subpar BB episode so for the first time since it ran concurrently with those shows, Simpsons was the best Fox cartoon of the night.

Bob’s Burgers has been struggling, and I want the show to be good. Last one I saw was Tina tried to build a radio to talk to aliens and the whole thing was nothing.

Rewatching older episodes, Gene had a weird character evolution. He went from saying odd things to which other people reacted, to saying elaborate word play that no one seems to hear. It doesn’t work, seems to be a way for the writers to show off but hurts the story to have a non sequitur machine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
BB's reached a comfortable point and the characters are established. It's running into a Simpsons problem where you need new characters to play off of the established ones and put them into new situations.

But, for example, you know that Louise and Logan are going to get into arguments if they're in an episode. So even that has a limit.

American Dad kind of spoofed that habit when the fat kid and the stoner son in law met for an episode, with all the main characters treating it like a huge thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Bob’s Burgers has been struggling, and I want the show to be good. Last one I saw was Tina tried to build a radio to talk to aliens and the whole thing was nothing.

Rewatching older episodes, Gene had a weird character evolution. He went from saying odd things to which other people reacted, to saying elaborate word play that no one seems to hear. It doesn’t work, seems to be a way for the writers to show off but hurts the story to have a non sequitur machine.

Louise too much of a bon mot machine now.

FilthyImp posted:

But, for example, you know that Louise and Logan are going to get into arguments if they're in an episode. So even that has a limit.

I'm more fine with this though. Nothing wrong with a nemesis so long as its done well

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Bob's Burgers passed the point where they should have started changing up the formula and status quo a bit to keep things interesting a few seasons ago. Their unflinching refusal to experiment in fear of altering the quality is impressive, but everything now runs together as bland filler.

The first eight seasons of The Simpsons remain a shining example of keeping a comedy show fresh for so many reasons. First you have the fact that the showrunners were swapped out every two to three seasons, each one bringing their own style and tone to the show. Each season also evolved and expanded on the previous one and the show universe continued to expand with it. Most importantly though is the fact that this entire run is a grab bag of different episode styles, ranging from grounded, emotionally driven episodes to completely rapid-fire absurdity.

With Bob's Burgers, a season 9 episode feels the same as a season 3 episode, aside from the characters yelling significantly less and there's usually a musical number now. The in-show universe doesn't feel like it has expanded at all, because they seem to have stopped establishing new recurring characters in season 3. They also all hit the exact same beats - no character or antagonist is ever truly bad or has truly bad intentions. Their drive for positivity is nice and refreshing but also cloying.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

According to the Wiki, ratings were on a downward trend after season 2 (when it was moved to primetime Thursday). Around season 8 you've gone past the Bartman Eat My shorts stuff and it becomes a staple instead of an innovator.
Maybe they would have been pushed out if Fox had something else to anchor their Sunday night blocks.

Man, in my little bubble, I thought that Simpsons only kept getting more and more popular and only declined when the mediocre seasons started. Funny how different perception is from reality. :smith:

Btw, RE: season 12.

I was going over the episode list, and I have to say, I'm legitimately impressed there were a good number of decent episodes in there. Sure, they're not gold, but they have golden moments.

- Insane Clown Poppy
- A Tale of Two Springfields
- Lisa the Tree Hugger
- The Computer Wore Menace Shoes
- Skinner's Sense of Snow
- HOMR
-Pokey Mom
- Worst Episode Ever
- Day of the Jackanapes
- New Kids on the Blecch
- Hungry, Hungry Homer
- Simpson Safari (guess the guy who came up with episode titles was on vacation for this one)
- Trilogy of Error
- I'm Goin' to Praiseland (I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of this one overall, but I have to put it on here for the previously mentioned Frank Sinatra scene)
- Children of a Lesser Clod
- Simpsons Tall Tales

That's almost the entire season!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

:chloe:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was up against an appallingly bad family guy episode and even a subpar BB episode so for the first time since it ran concurrently with those shows, Simpsons was the best Fox cartoon of the night.

What was bad about the family guy I havent watched in years

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I knew the risks. I make no regrets.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Flannelette posted:

We got the "Why doesn't mine look like that!?" joke out of it which has survived the ages at least.

A friend and I were stranded in heavy snow somewhere near Dijon, France when our bus broke down, and the nearest place to hang out and not freeze to death while we waited for the bus to be towed/repaired/brought back was a crappy roadside diner called La Grille.

So we got drunk while periodically shouting "La Grille?! What the hell is that?!"

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Trump Guy (13 Jan. 2019)
The Griffins move to the White House where Peter is hired as the new Press Secretary.

Quotes
Lois Griffin: Meg, you expect us to believe that the president of the United States would grab a woman by her pussy? That's ridiculous!

:trumppop:

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Are you kidding? Season 8 is the high point of the series. It's almost entirely perfect episodes.

It's like home run after home run. The "worst" episodes in that season are probably the one with Rodney Dangerfield as Burns' brother and the one where Bart gets Laddie to replace Santa's Little Helper, and the only reason those seem worse is because the rest is so drat good.

Season 8 forever.

(there is a precipitous drop in quality after 8, and 9 of course leads off with principal tamzarian)

I disagree! As I said I think there's some trash in season 8, though there are a bunch of good eps including my favourite (You only move twice), the chili episode, and the hurricane. You mentioned the laddie and Dangerfield episodes, but I also think the recycling one is pretty lame, same with the one where Lisa dates Nelson. There are small but not insignificant cracks in season 8 that I think widen in 9 and just get worse from there

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was watching Mr. Plow (season 4) and was surprised that the later season habit of going 'Oh Hey it's Random Celebrity Person here at place!' occurred twice in that episode.

First it's Adam West looking like a crazy has been at the auto show, the it's Linda Rondstat with Barney.

Both are later reused for a joke (Adam gets his driveway plowed by Barney and drives away in a rickety Batmobile, Linda has a short song in a hot tub with Barney). Still, I guess I'd forgotten that celebs would shown up as themselves that early.

Also, they do a trick when West is ranting where the camera slowly goes into a Dutch angle just like in the Batman Tv series. Clever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

I was watching Mr. Plow (season 4) and was surprised that the later season habit of going 'Oh Hey it's Random Celebrity Person here at place!' occurred twice in that episode.

First it's Adam West looking like a crazy has been at the auto show, the it's Linda Rondstat with Barney.

Both are later reused for a joke (Adam gets his driveway plowed by Barney and drives away in a rickety Batmobile, Linda has a short song in a hot tub with Barney). Still, I guess I'd forgotten that celebs would shown up as themselves that early.

Also, they do a trick when West is ranting where the camera slowly goes into a Dutch angle just like in the Batman Tv series. Clever.

Also a recent rewatcher of Mr. Plow, and those celebrity cameos are different because they tell a joke that isn't "hey, I"m Adam West!" and then centering the plot around Adam West.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Iron Crowned posted:

Also a recent rewatcher of Mr. Plow, and those celebrity cameos are different because they tell a joke that isn't "hey, I"m Adam West!" and then centering the plot around Adam West.

A golden age era episode that centered on Adam West actually sounds good.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Did you stop watching before or after the bit where Quagmire rapes Marge and kills all the Simpsons?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Lisa meets a new friend and lies about her family because, well, for obvious reasons.

I have very few complaints, it was easily the best episode of the season. It did have an annoying flourish of stupid title cards and french cafe music coming up at various story beats announcing the story beats. Also Lisa declares it her first happy ending, so someone there must have read that article about how Lisa stories always punish Lisa for no reason.

I watched it per your recommendation and it was a pretty enjoyable watch. If we were to compile 12-20 episodes for a single post-se14 "season" this would make it on the list.

And then all those episodes will be rerecorded to VHS and then digitally reuploaded, maybe give them some Sony Vegas filters to make it look somewhat old and crusty.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MNIMWA posted:

Dangerfield episodes

That episode was amazing. :colbert:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Razorwired posted:

Did you stop watching before or after the bit where Quagmire rapes Marge and kills all the Simpsons?

Ya know I think the Rocky episode was the one that finally made me lost all interest but the rush Limbaugh episode didnt help either, or the serious one about quagmires sister That or when they decided that quagmire hates Brian because of all the characters to call someone out it should be the serial rapist?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

It looks like it was written by a bunch of edgelord high schoolers at a lunch table. Every character is irredeemably cruel and vulgar in some way, there's tons of blood and guts violence from cruel shock gags, and they rely really heavily on filler gags that are just people talking really slowly for ridiculous amounts of time. There's no charm in it anymore, the voices all sound like they're recorded in different booths, It's got New Simpsons' problem of dialogue being really stilted and only serving really cringey lowball jokes you see coming a mile away. I still maintain Seasons 1-3 of Family Guy are fantastic and hold up well. The others are forgettable at best, despicable at worst, and date themselves really badly.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It very common for new a Family Guy / Simpsons episode to have a ton of filler but not an actual ending. Between that, the excessive couch gag , non-sequitur first act and longer-than-ever ad breaks the Simpsons uses up a lot of time without making doing much at all.

Family Guy loves to shove in as many establishing shots as it can, even when the location hasn't changed.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Plan Z posted:

It looks like it was written by a bunch of edgelord high schoolers at a lunch table. Every character is irredeemably cruel and vulgar in some way, there's tons of blood and guts violence from cruel shock gags, and they rely really heavily on filler gags that are just people talking really slowly for ridiculous amounts of time. There's no charm in it anymore, the voices all sound like they're recorded in different booths, It's got New Simpsons' problem of dialogue being really stilted and only serving really cringey lowball jokes you see coming a mile away. I still maintain Seasons 1-3 of Family Guy are fantastic and hold up well. The others are forgettable at best, despicable at worst, and date themselves really badly.

eh that’s a little unfair towards family guy, yeah there are a lot of lame cutaways and the characters are pretty lovely but I’ve laughed way more at new family guy then new simpsons

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

My Linux Rig posted:

eh that’s a little unfair towards family guy, yeah there are a lot of lame cutaways and the characters are pretty lovely but I’ve laughed way more at new family guy then new simpsons

that's a low bar though

and the fact that you don't know the difference between then and than proves you are low IQ enough to enjoy family guy

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Family Guy has been surprisingly decent this season. It feels like they kind of give a poo poo again.

Re: Simpsons season 8. I do remember back when it was new thinking it was the first season to feel "off" to me, even as a kid. Many episodes have a slower pace, a somewhat bleak tone, and there's this sense that the end of the show was near so they're trying to change up the status quo a bit. They of course were way, wayyyy wrong. I still consider it one of the golden era seasons, very arguably the final one, and there are tons of classics and I don't feel that any of the episodes are downright bad.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

snack eater posted:

that's a low bar though

and the fact that you don't know the difference between then and than proves you are low IQ enough to enjoy family guy

oh you got me, I hosed up grammar rules to a small and almost imperceptible way, that means I’m no better than a chimpanzee

Deez nuts, bitch

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You misspelled "these". See me after class.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Is American Dad still good? It was still going really strong the last time I watched but I sort of fell out of touch with it at around the point Jeff was trying to get back from space.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Applewhite posted:

Is American Dad still good? It was still going really strong the last time I watched but I sort of fell out of touch with it at around the point Jeff was trying to get back from space.

Yes, it’s still very good. The quality hasn’t dropped really at all, even after the TBS move.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes, it’s still very good. The quality hasn’t dropped really at all, even after the TBS move.

Nice. I’m continually impressed by how tight their scripts are. Even when an individual episode isn’t uproariously funny, it’s almost always satisfying to watch, like a basketball team that focuses on the fundamentals. Maybe it doesn’t make as many flashy plays you might get with other teams, but all the players work together and nobody’s talent is wasted so it functions like a well-tuned watch.

I wish they’d apply some of that to a few Orville episodes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'm amazed that the Family Guy knockoff turned out better than Family Guy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm amazed that the Family Guy knockoff turned out better than Family Guy.

Yeah I’d written it off before seeing a single episode. I didn’t find out it was good until season 3. I was pretty stunned.

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Applewhite posted:

I, still, am completely floored by Wax Fang's Majestic bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ciBWNwjsY

No idea if anything else is worth a drat beyond the nihilistic Family Guy's regular feed (which I still dig as a Nihilist). I can't watch The Simpsons without feeling a dreadful sense of an even worser sense of nihilism, but y'all do you...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean... that's as may be but it's still just a straight-played performance of a preexisting song, right? Where the novelty of it comes from the characters performing it?

I wrote off Family Guy way back in the day right around the time they all did the "So Long, Farewell" song, and not a thing about it was altered from the original except "lol Stewie is Liesl". It's like ... it's funny because it's Peter saying "no" all aristocratic-like instead of Christopher Plummer? Ok then

I get the irony and the emotional impact of the above scene and all but people in the comments saying this is on par with Futurama songs? Like, the original songs you mean?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I hate all musical comedy and nothing makes me mute faster than when funny people start singing

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I hate all musical comedy and nothing makes me mute faster than when funny people start singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOeUXEpxzcc

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

:same:

One of the worst Simpsons episodes for me is the all singing all dancing one because I'm just embarrassed for everyone involved the whole time.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Yeah what the poo poo? Planet of the Apes: The Musical is one of the funniest things in the whole series.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i like whne funny man sing

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM5-xFenaZI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Simpsons was actually good, is the difference