Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The Netflix Fyre Festival documentary is pretty entertaining. I also noticed several Nine Inch Nails songs as background music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

Viacom just purchased Pluto TV, so expect that to go in the shitter.

gently caress this.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Pretty lame, i've been using a lot of pluto.tv recently. Only complaint I have is the ads play at random times it seems, so it just cuts out of the show at non commercial break times.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ha, I like the Hulu Fyre doc showed the girl from Travelers feeling sooo bad *wink* for everybody else.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Medullah posted:

Oh hey, Ballad of Buster Scruggs got nominated for an Oscar for best song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MA4qCoa69o

Spoiler for stupid video preview

So deserving. I'm sure it won't win because it's going against Kendrick Lamar and Lady Gaga, and the Oscars this year seem poised for a "hey, this is popular, let's give it an award!" approach, but the live performance of it will probably be the highlight of the entire show at least for me.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

In a perfect world, it would remain an ad supported platform with some good content from Viacom. Like, a Star Trek channel would be cool.

But knowing them, they'll probably dump all the good poo poo and change it to a pay service.

i found a basic cable channel called h&i a few years back which shows a lot of old random shows including star trek, tng, ds9, voyager, and enterprise every night from 7pm-midnight and i enjoy watching that more than just some random episode on netflix. they run them in sequential order, too which is nice and also the commercial blocks are usually just one long 2 minute commercial usually for some kind of old person product and honestly they kind of add to the experience.

i bet a lot of people would use a "tv mode" or something that lets you pick random shows/episodes/seasons and randomize them, but i guess that flies in the face of the business model of trying to get us to consume as much new content as humanly possible.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Alterian posted:

If I remember correctly, wasn't it even a slighlty watered down "son of a bitch"?

Like son of a gun?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
On the topic of censorship I have been watching a show called "Shrink" on Hulu. It has the NBC logo on it and only has 8 episodes that are all about 30 minutes in run time. Anyway, this show uses every swear word I can think of but the N word. Pretty weird, the show came out in 2017 it looks like. I assume this was running at like 11:30 PM over the summer when SNL was on break.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Michael Corleone posted:

On the topic of censorship I have been watching a show called "Shrink" on Hulu. It has the NBC logo on it and only has 8 episodes that are all about 30 minutes in run time. Anyway, this show uses every swear word I can think of but the N word. Pretty weird, the show came out in 2017 it looks like. I assume this was running at like 11:30 PM over the summer when SNL was on break.

This was actually an original show from the online comedy streaming service Seeso, which had no enforced censorship at all. It was a short-lived service, and all of it's original properties are either lost in limbo or have been picked up by other networks.

Shrink, Bajillion Dollar Properties and The UCB Show were the most popular shows from that service.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I got some good laughs out of Bajillion Dollar Properties

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Chaotic Flame posted:

I got some good laughs out of Bajillion Dollar Properties

I'm not a huge fan of reality show parodies, but I did love that show, and I consider it one of the best of that genre. Every episode has fun guest stars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In the silly Star Wars thread, there was talk about Alec Guinness and other roles he has done outside of Star Wars, and I was wondering if any of his movies that are worth watching are on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I think Doctor Zhivago is on Netflix if you haven't seen it, but it's a commitment.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

In the silly Star Wars thread, there was talk about Alec Guinness and other roles he has done outside of Star Wars, and I was wondering if any of his movies that are worth watching are on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

I absolutely love The Lavender Hill Mob, but it looks like it's only available as an itunes rental right now.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm not a huge fan of reality show parodies, but I did love that show, and I consider it one of the best of that genre. Every episode has fun guest stars.

I am a huge Paul F. Tompkins fan and go out of my way to listen to podcasts he is on (so, basically every podcast) and even so the hardest I’ve ever laughed at anything of his is probably the Predator episode of Bajillion from...I think Season 2.

The rest of the show is also good. Ryan Gaul and Drew Tarver are standouts IMO.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Alterian posted:

The Netflix Fyre Festival documentary is pretty entertaining. I also noticed several Nine Inch Nails songs as background music.

The Hulu one is a lot better, in my opinion.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Netflix ones does a better job of showing the disorganization and over promises of the festival, the Hulu doc does a better job showing what a scam artist Billy is. Say what you will about them paying him for an interview but it shows exactly the kind of person he is and his responses (and lack thereof) to questions only made him look worse. They're best watched back to back, if you ask me.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I think you can rent Kind Hearts and Coronets on Amazon and possibly find it on YouTube. Alec plays all the descendants a man is trying to murder in order to become the next heir. It’s fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Netflix ones does a better job of showing the disorganization and over promises of the festival, the Hulu doc does a better job showing what a scam artist Billy is. Say what you will about them paying him for an interview but it shows exactly the kind of person he is and his responses (and lack thereof) to questions only made him look worse. They're best watched back to back, if you ask me.

Yea it's weird because it's almost like they were purposely produced as companion documentaries. They really are best watched together because without the Hulu doc with the interview you're missing a huge piece of the situation, which is Billy's ridiculous narcissism.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

This was actually an original show from the online comedy streaming service Seeso, which had no enforced censorship at all. It was a short-lived service, and all of it's original properties are either lost in limbo or have been picked up by other networks.

Shrink, Bajillion Dollar Properties and The UCB Show were the most popular shows from that service.

MBMBAM was also pretty popular on Seeso, too. They landed on VRV (which always weirds me out, as VRV is the shorthand for Von Rutenberg Ventures, a lovely restaurant group here in Madison) and they've been hinting another season is coming.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

MBMBAM was also pretty popular on Seeso, too. They landed on VRV (which always weirds me out, as VRV is the shorthand for Von Rutenberg Ventures, a lovely restaurant group here in Madison) and they've been hinting another season is coming.

Really? On the podcast they act like it crashed and burned, though playing that up would definitely fit their tone.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tumble posted:

The Hulu one is a lot better, in my opinion.

I will also be watching the Hulu one. I just wanted to add to the conversation that the Netflix one is worthwhile. The part at the end with the restaurant owner was crushing, but this makes it better:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fyre-festival-bahamian-restaurant-owners-gofundme-campaign-recoups-more-than-100000-from-scam/

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They both did things well. The Netflix one was better at showing the plight of the locals and the big day felt worse, and it had the blowjob story. The Hulu was one was better at showing how much of fraudster Billy is and had more complete footage of the big day.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Started watching Friends from College and made it about 3 episodes before tapping out. I was hoping it would be like Happy Endings. It was not.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

10 Beers posted:

Started watching Friends from College and made it about 3 episodes before tapping out. I was hoping it would be like Happy Endings. It was not.

I mostly split from the bad reviews and thought S1 was alright, but thought what I saw of S2 was thoroughly unfunny garbage.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just got this from Hulu, helps the Netflix price hike sting.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Then you remember you got Hulu for an entire year for $12.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Thwomp posted:

I wish, sadly that wasn't for existing customers. :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sir Kodiak posted:

Really? On the podcast they act like it crashed and burned, though playing that up would definitely fit their tone.

Being popular on Seeso was crashing and burning. That network was stillborn.

The trailers for most of their shows looked like what you would get if you gave that one friend who swore he was going to make it as a standup a small budget and a camera so I wasn’t too surprised when it died.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Agreed that one should watch both of them, they have different angles. The wristband payment thing mentioned in the Netflix one kind of blew my mind. Like, that cemented just how drat greedy they were.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Part of me wants the context of that guy running at the camera at the campsite on the Netflix doc, but it's probably boring. As is, it's looks like something out of a horror movie and that's perfect.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thwomp posted:

I get both hulu and spotify for $5 a month, never cancelling that deal

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Watching the Fyre doc, is it wrong to hate the influencers more than anyone else?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Medullah posted:

I wish, sadly that wasn't for existing customers. :(

Just lol if you don't have a throw away email address. Hell, I even used the same debit card for billing.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Filthy Hans posted:

Watching the Fyre doc, is it wrong to hate the influencers more than anyone else?

Not at all, you're not alone.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

No, they're trash.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Filthy Hans posted:

Burn all "influencers".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Who the hell coined that terrible term?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Lycus posted:

Who the hell coined that terrible term?

Influencers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

After now watching the Hulu fyre festival documentary I have reached the conclusion that cocaine is a hell of a drug.