Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

All the dialogue is horrible and horribly delivered because Lucas "stylized" it that way.

Except for Ewen McGregor and Ian McDiarmid who give good performances that are pretty much universally liked. Uhhhh, Lucas wanted it that way too. Purposefully stilted performances all around except for those two. The auteur's vision.

So you are saying the good parts were accidental and he didn’t intend them to do it like that. The guy who had complete and utter control over all aspects of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Anakin is not ‘consumed by a fire of hate’. Anakin is consumed by a fire of magma.

You know, magma's irritating and gets everywhere. And once it cools it forms rocks and sand.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

So you are saying the good parts were accidental and he didn’t intend them to do it like that. The guy who had complete and utter control over all aspects of the movie.

I mean, I sure hope he intended for their performances to be good. You'd think that would be a major goal of a director for every movie.

He got good performances out of those two, and then complete dogshit out of the other 85% of the cast.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

As has been pointed out Luke’s Temple was on his home world since that is where the clue to him was found right by Lars in the beginning of TFA

Luke's temple was on Polis Masa? That'd be pretty neat

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

euphronius posted:

If trump called immigrants “animals” you’d rightly call him a racist demagogue.

Have you ever heard of Tarzan, ya dingus? Mowgli? Have you ever cracked a book in your life? No? Then don't go flinging around terms you don't understand. Don't start throwing heavy things around if you don't want heavy things thrown back at you. That's a free lesson. You didn't even need to read a book for that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, I sure hope he intended for their performances to be good. You'd think that would be a major goal of a director for every movie.

He got good performances out of those two, and then complete dogshit out of the other 85% of the cast.

He got what he was going for yeah. I can definitely see and am understanding of the point of view that the anachronistic line reads and stylization rub modern viewers the wrong way.

It just kind of baffles me that the criticism is reserved for the prequels when it’s all over the ot as well.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

PostNouveau posted:

All the dialogue is horrible and horribly delivered because Lucas "stylized" it that way.

Except for Ewen McGregor and Ian McDiarmid who give good performances that are pretty much universally liked. Uhhhh, Lucas wanted it that way too. Purposefully stilted performances all around except for those two. The auteur's vision.

Something could be intentional but still executed poorly. Shocking revelation, I know.

Cnut the Great posted:

Have you ever heard of Tarzan, ya dingus? Mowgli? Have you ever cracked a book in your life? No? Then don't go flinging around terms you don't understand. Don't start throwing heavy things around if you don't want heavy things thrown back at you. That's a free lesson. You didn't even need to read a book for that.

lmao Chewbacca has displayed way human characteristics than Tarzan and Mowgli at the beginning of their respective arcs. Like no poo poo Chewie is a big yeti dude; that doesn't mean he's less of a person than Han, Luke, and Leia.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 23, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Equeen posted:

Something could be intentional but still executed poorly. Shocking revelation, I know.

What was executed poorly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

To be fair that is a pretty racist thing to say.

It seems like he can't go a single post without saying something blatantly racist and then he blames everyone else for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So you are saying calling Chewbacca an animal isn’t racist because he’s Tarzan?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Luke's temple was on Polis Masa? That'd be pretty neat

Is that the Eu location ? I don’t know that.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
That's the asteroid base/planet from Revenge of the Sith where Padme gave birth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Is that the Eu location ? I don’t know that.

Polis Massa (sorry, misspelled it the first time) is where Luke and Leia were born.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Polis Massa (sorry, misspelled it the first time) is where Luke and Leia were born.

Fair enough and yeah that is correct.

But Luke also considered the planet to be home and I think people refer to - for example - their “home state” or “Home city” as the place they were born or the place they were principally raised or currently live.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Polis Massa is Tattooine

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Equeen posted:

lmao Chewbacca has displayed way human characteristics than Tarzan and Mowgli at the beginning of their respective arcs. Like no poo poo Chewie is a big yeti dude; that doesn't mean he's less of a person that Han, Luke, and Leia.

Chewbacca is a man with distinctly bestial characteristics and mannerisms who is also a sophisticated and intelligent technological being. He can pilot spaceships and effect complex repairs to machinery just as easily as he can blindly wander into a trap in the forest because he smells a dead animal and wants to eat it. Just as do Tarzan and Mowgli, he represents the everpresent tension between the primeval and civilized aspects of man. That's the only reason he exists in the narrative. He doesn't even have an arc. He's aesthetic flair. He was based on George Lucas's dog. Han Solo literally pets him:

Now do I get a pet on the head for pointing out the obvious to you?

euphronius posted:

So you are saying calling Chewbacca an animal isn’t racist because he’s Tarzan?

No one is talking to you anymore. You've gotten all I'm going to give you, and you should be grateful for that much. Sit down and listen now.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

euphronius posted:

Bad acting: Lucas fault

Good acting: Lucas gets no credit.

Am I wrong though? Please point out all these other great directed actors. Ian mcdiarmid is a stage actor, he's used to projecting.

Ewan McGregor is a fantastic actor, but he's also an indie at heart, so star wars is the least work he's every had to do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Am I wrong though? Please point out all these other great directed actors. Ian mcdiarmid is a stage actor, he's used to projecting.

What specifically are you asking me for again.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Is george a good director of actors?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Is george a good director of actors?

What is your criteria for good. Does he get the performance he wants from them? Yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s funny that the defense of “my POV isn’t racist” relies on Tarzan and the Jungle book.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

What is your criteria for good. Does he get the performance he wants from them? Yes.

No he doesn't. Lol, we know for a fact he edits their performances together to make it work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

No he doesn't. Lol, we one for a fact he edits their performances together to make it work.

How is editing a sign of bad directing. Every director edits different takes together. I guess there are some directors who specialize in single takes.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Wait, so a director literally edits individual takes into a single moment and you think that means he got what he wanted? Lol

Google sloppy edits in revenge of the sith and then stop trying to defend him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Wait, so a director literally edits individual takes into a single moment and you think that means he got what he wanted? Lol

You may be right and if that is fact not a normal cinematic practice then that is evidence he is a bad director of actors in that context.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It's not, most directors literally don't have the means to do it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Do all wookies go to heaven?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ruddiger posted:

Yes, but they have to stop by purgatoory first.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ruddiger posted:

God doesn't care about furry animals or droids.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What would Rudyard Kipling think about Chewbacca? An interesting avenue of exploration.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

It's not, most directors literally don't have the means to do it.

I cede to you on that point then as I’m not up do date on editing techniques.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I don't think "comping multiple takes into a single take" is a sign of bad direction because Fincher does it too. I'm sure there's others as well. It's just utilizing all the tools available to them. And even if it is sign of bad directing, at what point do you draw the line on how much editing means the directing is bad?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9VhORkPv7w

George Lucas posted:

I said, "Well, I got this movie ... it's sort of a space opera thing we have ... I think dogs driving spaceships ..."

Of course the animal aspect which lies within all men is just as much an asset as it can be a liability. Note that Chewbacca's act of "thinking with his stomach" is precisely what brings the heroes into contact with the Ewoks, whose primitive connection to nature plays an integral role in the Rebels' triumph over the purely technological Empire. Jar Jar's similar act of thinking with his stomach, combined with his clumsiness, is what brings the heroes of that film into contact with the child Anakin, who like the diminutive Ewoks represents a more youthful and innocent state of existence. Anakin too proves instrumental in the heroes' triumph over a technological enemy, when he obliterates the droid control ship through a compounding series of clumsy "errors."

Chewbacca's hunger connects the heroes with the Ewoks, who themselves nearly eat the heroes before turning their energies against the Empire. Jar Jar's clumsiness connects the heroes with Anakin, whose clumsiness ends up defeating the Trade Federation. These are all intentional connections.

bushisms.txt posted:

Lots of directors end up realizing they didn't get exactly what they wanted when it comes time to edit. Every director has experienced this, in fact. They just end up going with the best shot they have, because it's all they have.

The only difference here is that Lucas had the ability to manipulate the actors' takes in post. So he did. And no one seemed to notice until years later, and even then it's only noticeable if you're paying attention to Anakin's face while Palpatine is speaking. So it seems like his implementation of the technology was pretty successful, even in such a primitive form.

Disney has been further developing the technology in recent years and I would be surprised if this doesn't eventually become a standard editing tool. It's just too useful not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nJpaCXL0k

For those claiming this proves George Lucas is sloppy for editing individual takes into a single moment, you may be surprised to learn that David Fincher routinely does just that and has for pretty much his entire career:

quote:

As seen in Zhou’s video essay about the four things Fincher doesn’t do, handheld is not one of the element that feeds the filmmaker’s work. His use of stable frames in general has allowed him to develop a filmmaking habit of mixing takes within invisible split-screens.

What that means is that instead of either alternating takes by cutting and using coverage, like all filmmakers used to do pre-digital era, or using the split-screen as a way of showing multiple angles at once, Fincher and his editors, Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall, are splitting the screen seamlessly so they can modify performances all the while showing a “continuous” take.

Nothing you see in a movie is actually real. It's all an illusion. Time and space are always being manipulated in some way. I love what Paul Bettany had to say about it:

quote:

A lot of your relationship with Elizabeth Olsen’s Wanda happens off-screen. How did you two go about building this chemistry that we're mostly meant to take for granted?

Well, I don't believe in chemistry.

Okay, let's talk about that.

I know it's not real, because I've seen it too many times, actors that hate each other and it be amazing and everybody goes, "Oh, yeah, but that's a different kind of chemistry." No it's not. Often, they can't get your eye line tight enough to look at the person, to the actual actor, so they'll put a cross of tape right on the camera. And you'll be playing a love scene to a sticker. And it's impossible to have chemistry with that. So I resist the idea of there being on-screen chemistry. I think it's something that people like to say without thinking.

So you really don't think there's any kind of relationship between actors that can't be modulated?

I 100 percent can prove that it can be modulated. I don't even need CG to modulate it—you could be looking at me in the scene, and I can just flip the negative and you're looking the other way and saying the same things to whoever, which is gonna change the relationship toward me.

But it so happens that Lizzy and I just get on really well with each other, and she's super professional and, you know, she's never late. And I'm never late, and I love that. Because when you've got three kids and a life to be living and somebody's half an hour late to set, you start to get a little bit like, "Come on. Come on, let's get this done."

So punctuality is better and realer than chemistry?

I didn't say that, you did. I just said that it can all be modulated and I've had chemistry—what people think is chemistry—with a piece of tape on a matte box.

What people don't realize is that even practical effects aren't real. When Luke was doing his scenes with Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, he was talking to a silent puppet, because he couldn't hear Frank Oz underneath the floor; Frank Oz then dubbed his own lines in a recording booth. When you see a head-on shot of a character talking to Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi, they aren't talking to a fully-operated Jabba puppet; they're talking to a piece of tape on the wall behind the camera.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 23, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one is arguing that it isn’t *possible* to read Chewbacca as subhuman

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

I expect SMG and various others will be along shortly to inform me that my association of Darth Maul's bright red skin with evil is indicative of a toxic racism towards Native Americans. "No no no, Darth Maul has red skin because he is an alien who evolved different pigments in his epidermis. Duh." Film analysis!

Lucas is referring to Maul’s face tattoo. It has a flamelike design that he deliberately chose to accentuate his skin colour.

‘Evil’ is not a racial trait. Maul wants the Jedi to go to hell - why not? To that end, he uses the tattoos, martial-arts training and deliberate silence to fashion himself into a figure of vengeance - vengeance for his people. He’s a person. He’s not a subhuman machine.

Btw he’s a gif of Han petting a bestial Luke Skywalker:

Here's the same bestial Luke Skywalker petting a bestial R2D2:

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 23, 2019

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

euphronius posted:

No one is arguing that it isn’t *possible* to read Chewbacca as subhuman

You do understand I'm far smarter than you, right? That can't possibly have escaped your notice, even as dull as you are.

This is not me bragging about my intelligence, by the way. I am truly of strictly average intelligence. Think about the implications of that. I think even you can figure out what that means.

Please stop. I know I said I'd leave you alone, but this is too tempting, and everyone knows how little willpower I have when it comes to keeping away from the chew toy. I don't want to keep doing this, but at this point you're really only doing it to yourself.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lucas is referring to Maul’s face tattoo. It has a flamelike design that he deliberately chose to accentuate his skin colour.

quote:

MOYERS: And does your use of red suggest the flames of hell?

LUCAS: Yes. It's a motif that I've been using with the Emperor and the Emperor's minions. I mean, red is an aggressive color. Evil is aggressive.

This is basic reading comprehension, SMG.

And now we bring you a bit from our newest segment, SMG's Greatest Hits:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Anakin is not ‘consumed by a fire of hate’. Anakin is consumed by a fire of magma.

IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS (AND I MEAN IMMEDIATELY):

“Hm, yes, well, you see, your pitiful worship of the Author-God blah blah blah blah blah FAAAAART.”

I mean, Christ, SMG. You would fail an introductory film studies course. You’re a clown.

Let this post stand as a monument to your towering stupidity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's actually canon now that Darth Maul does not have facial tattoos. That's literally how his race of people look. Facial tattoos may have been the case when Phantom Menace released, but now he has a recognized race and they all look similar.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There's nothing in that Lucas quote that says Maul is racially inferior. It simply says that Lucas used red as a part of Maul's design.

Maul himself uses red: the red of his skin is used as part of his tattoo's design.

You are choosing to perceive Maul as racially inferior, marked like Cain by author-god Lucas. In that way, you are twisting the quote into something racist.

But you're not even consistent about this. Obiwan flies a red ship. Does that also represent the mechanical fires of rage hate? Amidala also wears a red dress with glowing orange bits on it. Is that hate also? Of course not.

I said come in! posted:

It's actually canon now that Darth Maul does not have facial tattoos. That's literally how his race of people look. Facial tattoos may have been the case when Phantom Menace released, but now he has a recognized race and they all look similar.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 23, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

You do understand I'm far smarter than you, right? That can't possibly have escaped your notice, even as dull as you are.

Let this post stand as a monument to your towering stupidity.

woof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
“I mean, you can't say they don't look like that. That's what they look like, right? They look like prawns.”
-Cnut watching District 9