Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

spankmeister posted:

Funny because the trail of bits guy CTF one was one of the very few sponsor interviews that I listened to and actively enjoyed. I usually skip them after a couple of minutes.

This one was absolutely great. It's because I like to play CTF's and it's cool to hear from someone who designs these absolutely insane challenges.

It's also nice that they used their sponsor spot to just tell a story about a cool CTF challenge, instead of actively trying to push some product.

Non-commutative arithmetics legit freak me the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Schadenboner posted:

Welcome to the matrix.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

e: this is not the buttcoin thread

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 23, 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fisting by many posted:

oh no, there's more and it's worse

https://twitter.com/jinnysims

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2019CITZ0002-000062

of all the entities that would possibly be lured by "trustless" "immutable" ledgers, i can't for the life of me understand why that would be of interest to a government. it doesn't matter if loonies don't trust you, you're the law! :psyduck:

1) Conjecture: They got suckered by IT staff and/or some trusted advisors who were enamoured with Bitcoin.

2) Fact: Some Vancouver gangster got killed out of country recently and one of the things that guy did was run a Bitcoin exchange which came up in the ongoing trial of El Chapo.

3) Fact: The BC government has repeatedly shut down every regulatory team/organization that goes sniffing after money laundering that's within their reach.

4) Conjecture: The BC government's trusted IT advisors are organized crime figures involved in money laundering.

(There's a lot more on the fact side, but I'm phone posting here.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Schadenboner posted:

wait, these exist?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wait, these exist?

sure; for arbitrary square matrices A and B, it is not necessarily the case that AB = BA

e: see also subtraction 1 - 0 ~= 0 - 1
or division 0/1 ? 1/0

leper khan fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 23, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

quaternions are some crazy poo poo, let alone the higher dimension ones.

If they weren't so useful I would say they are an abomination.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

spankmeister posted:

thankfully you probably won’t need to deal with the algebra yourself (had to know for a class, promptly forgot after) and just, bang on functions whichever library provides. surely less of a headache than rotation matrices in 3d space

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wait, these exist?

Does string concatenation count as an arithmetic?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doom Mathematic posted:

Does string concatenation count as an arithmetic?

it is a characterization of the free monoid yeah

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

spankmeister posted:

abominations can be useful e.g. computers

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
a product manager literally just asked me if i have any concerns about allowing paid users to upload selenium jars and exes which our product will process

trying to figure out a diplomatic way to say "absolutely not why would you think this is a good idea?"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Blinkz0rz posted:

a product manager literally just asked me if i have any concerns about allowing paid users to upload selenium jars and exes which our product will process

trying to figure out a diplomatic way to say "absolutely not why would you think this is a good idea?"

“Have you run it by the auditors?”

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

the only diplomatic way is to "demo the concept of the system" using kournikova.jps.vbs

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

“Have you run it by the auditors?”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

spankmeister posted:

quaternions are great, the real horror is euler angles

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fritz posted:

quaternions are great, the real horror is euler angles

those are ok

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

they are not, use rotors.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

oiler or yewler?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Hexyflexy posted:

they are not, use rotors.

ugh at trying to do math on a palm pilot

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chris Knight posted:

ugh at trying to do math on a palm pilot

big lomarf

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Raere posted:

oiler or yewler?

Euler was Swiss, so absolutely oiler

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

someone bothered to do a cursory review of 7zip's aes implementation aaaaaaaand

https://twitter.com/3lbios/status/1087855341226942465

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
just loving use gpg jesus christ

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

someone bothered to do a cursory review of 7zip's aes implementation aaaaaaaand

https://twitter.com/3lbios/status/1087855341226942465

oh good, more legit issues reported in the style of a whiny child having a tantrum

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The_Franz posted:

oh good, more legit issues reported in the style of a whiny child having a tantrum

he said he thought about posting this to their sourceforge repo but it was flooded with a bunch of nerds posting conspiracy poo poo about AES being backdoored by the NSA and demanding chacha20 support or whatever dumb poo poo which seems par the course for an opensource project maintained by posturing turbonerds

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

he said he thought about posting this to their sourceforge repo but it was flooded with a bunch of nerds posting conspiracy poo poo about AES being backdoored by the NSA and demanding chacha20 support or whatever dumb poo poo which seems par the course for an opensource project maintained by posturing turbonerds

i looked in the souceforge page and the only "durrr aes is insecure" stuff was from some random guy 10+ years ago. there was no real argument either, just the developers saying "no"

whiny twitter guy couldn't report this issue directly to the developers because he was triggered by some random guy asking for twofish support on their forums in 2007.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 23, 2019

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Blinkz0rz posted:

Tell them their idea stinks.

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2012/05/15/things_i_wont_work_with_selenophenol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

i looked in the souceforge page and the only "durrr aes is insecure" stuff was from some random guy 10+ years ago. there was no real argument either, just the developers saying "no"

whiny twitter guy couldn't report this issue directly to the developers because he was triggered by some random guy asking for twofish support on their forums in 2007.

so, which 7zip maintainer are you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/DCFurs/status/1087663240421593089

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I want to know why it Kool-aid manned through the wall to begin with

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

physical penetration testing

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

click the tweet there are some videos
idk why call in police vs animal rehabilitation, or maybe they work together on this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

deer jump through small windows like that a fair bit, especially when they're moving around at dawn/dusk and visibility is poor. that facility cheaped out and didn't remove/brick over the windows and instead decided to treat sheetrock as a security boundary which is loving precious. looks like a hole they can jump through and a half-inch of drywall isn't going to stop an animal of that size. my high school went on code-red lockdown for one morning when one bombed through a similar window in the admin office and proceeded to trash the place until they locked it in a bathroom

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

DEFCON Furs is a group that organizes events and parties at DEFCON for members of the infosec community that share an interest in the furry fandom.

501c3

how the hell are they a 501c3 :psyduck:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

what’s that

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

why wouldn't they be? you have a preferred organization style that aint 501c3 or something?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh i see they had a charity raffle or something, ok. and i'm sure the prizes are completely normal and not at all wei-

quote:

Knot Gag - Donated by Primal Hardwere
Krubera w/ medium egg mold kit - Donated by Primal Hardwere

oh.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

why wouldn't they be? you have a preferred organization style that aint 501c3 or something?

they're basically a meetup group, other than the one charity raffle that went to a completely different charity anyway i'm not really sure why they need to be any kind of organization at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

click the tweet there are some videos
idk why call in police vs animal rehabilitation, or maybe they work together on this

animal rehab might not be staffed at 2am