Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waffle! posted:

:toot: Surprise! Goat Simulator is out! ... at $30 :smith:

WHAT

I think I paid like €5 for it on PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Does it have ALL the DLC at least?

e: Goat Sim Bundle on Steam is $28 with bundle discount, so that's not terribly off.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Second is Goat simulator fun and for how long? Or is it just a gimmicky physics simulator? The idea is dumb but I appreciate it and it seems to have the fun open world of San Andreas.

It’s totally fun.

It’s stupid and wonky and dumb as a bag of hair, but it’s basically Tony Hawk: The Goat. I bought it years ago on the ps3. Your mileage may vary, and I haven’t played it in years but it’s definitely good for a larf.

Edit: 30$?!? gently caress no. I mean, for five or maybe ten sure.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Frankston posted:

Oh it's a card game? That's a dampener.

Looking through the press release it's more of a deck builder type of game.

Which is fine, I've played a few with board gaming friends, so I'm at least familiar with the genre.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's an Action/RPG/Puzzle/Platformer, and also sort of a Quintet fan game. The combat is pretty neat, it's a super fast mix of melee and ranged combat, with parries and element juggling and interaction with the environment. It's got a lot of that super fast pacing and heavily skill based gameplay of older Ys games. There's a skill tree to work through as well, mainly it serves as a way to customize your combat special attacks though.

It's also is packed full of puzzles and environmental platforming, lots of figuring out how to traverse map screen and get to secrets and stuff like that. One of your core combat/puzzle abilities is to throw aimed projects with the R-stick, which can bounce off walls to hit switches or manipulate objects, all of which gets increasingly more complex as you gain access to new elements that interact with things in different ways.

Story and characters are a lot of fun, it's a bizarre virtual MMO kind of deal (sort of like .Hack or stuff like that). Tons of side questing to do.

That being said, kind of the issue with the game is that it's just a bit too much. Based on the trailers you'd think it's mostly an action/rpg, but in reality is about 80% jumping around and solving puzzles, the combat is a pretty small part of it. And on top of that, as the game goes on even the combat starts largely becoming puzzle oriented in places. It's also very a long game for it's type, and I see people constantly posting about how they get burnt out on it like half way through (exact same thing happened to me, though I still hope to be able to get back into it and finish it eventually).

Yeah that may be a bit much. Thank you though. It sounds cool, but it feels like it should've stuck to one thing. Your description reminds me a bit of HLD which I adored, but I feel like it'll be a bit more half-baked compared to that.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

It’s totally fun.

It’s stupid and wonky and dumb as a bag of hair, but it’s basically Tony Hawk: The Goat. I bought it years ago on the ps3. Your mileage may vary, and I haven’t played it in years but it’s definitely good for a larf.

Edit: 30$?!? gently caress no. I mean, for five or maybe ten sure.

Hm. Ok. And how much time did you put into it? 30 bucks is a lot. Though it does come with all the DLC.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Waffle! posted:

Lmfao

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Dead Cells crew, how do you have your buttons set up?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

WHAT

I think I paid like €5 for it on PS4

To be fair this includes all the DLC. Not that I'd pay that much for it anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Waffle! posted:

Greatest. Of. All. Tariffs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Which is fine, I've played a few with board gaming friends, so I'm at least familiar with the genre.

If the cards just end up being a simile for "addable abilities" and nothing more, I can live with that fo sho.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would make fun of everyone who buys goat simulator for switch for $30 bucks in 2019 but it will end up being the best selling version and Id look the fool.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah that may be a bit much. Thank you though. It sounds cool, but it feels like it should've stuck to one thing. Your description reminds me a bit of HLD which I adored, but I feel like it'll be a bit more half-baked compared to that.

Hm. Ok. And how much time did you put into it? 30 bucks is a lot. Though it does come with all the DLC.

Maybe five hours over the years? I mean, I’ve only played vanilla and had no idea there was any DLC at all but you’re a crazy floppy goat with jetpack powers sometimes so.....

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Maybe five hours over the years? I mean, I’ve only played vanilla and had no idea there was any DLC at all but you’re a crazy floppy goat with jetpack powers sometimes so.....

I'll wait for a sale. I'm sure it'll come. You've sold me.

There needs to be more "Be an Animal" game. I really liked Shelter, simplistic as it was. Where's my Goose Game?

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Metal Goose Solid you mean? I don’t know but I want it.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I like Dominion (the card game), would I like Slay The Spire?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Waffle! posted:

That sentence was a real rollercoaster of emotions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

Probably

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

Greatest. Of. All. Tariffs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
goat simulator is funny but definitely not $30 funny

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Looper posted:

goat simulator is funny but definitely not $30 funny

It's hardly $3 funny

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Goat Simulator at $30 lmfao

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It's worth maybe $1

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the price of an actual live goat

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought Cave Story+ for $30 was the epitome of the Switch Tax but I think Goat Simulator is even worse.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

We announced it :toot:

SWQ has been in development for what feels like forever (though it doesn't beat Heist by a wide shot). It's so weird, and nervous, watching the reveal of something you've been working on every day for so long it just seems ordinary to you now. Ain't much I can tell you about it aside from what's on the page, sadly - marketing and keeping things secret blah blah, you know the drill. It's quite a big departure from what we've done before, but I hope you'll like it. If you think you might not, hey, that's okay too.

Personally I'm excited to finally get to play Wargroove.

I hope you have the same huge sales on the switch other indie games report. Good luck!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Here's one of the games that they tossed on the E-Shop today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rskuZKO8hk

Folklore based Rayman Legends? Yeah, that sounds pretty cool.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

<3
I was proud of that one.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Oh man this is extremely my jam, can't wait!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Huxley posted:

Dig 2 is a better Metroid game than Hollow Knight.

what is good about it? I like hollow knight but it feels like a bit of a slog sometimes

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

what is good about it? I like hollow knight but it feels like a bit of a slog sometimes

I preferred the exploration and movement and it has basically zero focus on boss fights, which were far and away my least-favorite parts of HK.

HK is more of a combat platformer where SD2 is more of a chill poke around and explore new places game (until you get the last movement upgrade and it turns into a rollicking 2D spider man game).

It's map is probably half the size of HK but the game is a quarter as long, which was a plus for me.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

We announced it :toot:

Congratulations! Always nice to see hardworking goons have success.

I might pick your brain after your lips have loosened about the card game aspect. I've been working on a hobby side project that'll probably never see the light of day and I realized that deck-building combat would be perfect for it.

Only to discover that that's now in vogue and I'm late to the party.

But I still enjoy giving it thought and implementation.

Mons Hubris posted:

If you're a casual Dominion fan, then definitely. But if you're serious and opinionated about deck builders, possibly not.

One thing that Dominion nailed, partially by accident, that never seems to be replicated is its symmetry with near-perfect knowledge. When the kingdom piles are laid out you know exactly what will be available for the duration of the game and can begin planning your strategy immediately. More importantly, you also know your opponent has this same knowledge, so you can begin planning your own plans to counter their plans or contingencies if it looks like they're going down a certain route.

Almost every other deck builder I've played misses out on that. They add a face-down card pool that has more variety in it from which a limited number of cards are temporarily available, with limited (if any) knowledge about what's coming next. This seems exciting at first, as there's an element of surprise, more randomization (which is sometimes assumed to be more replayability), and a greater variety of cards available. But what it ends up doing is restricting the range of significant and informed decisions you can make while playing. It's impractical to plan against things that might come up with a 1/60 chance -- instead you just react locally to what's available in the short term. It ends up gutting a lot of the strategy and deep interaction between combatants.

Slay the Spire does a number of clever things since it realizes that it's not a card game but a computer game that uses card abstractions. The enemies don't use cards but they do telegraph their next actions, which is deep enough information for the style of game it is, and a number of cards do cool things that would be infeasible or inconvenient with paper cards (such as altering their costs based on a number of temporary effects). But it falls prey to the supply pile problem most non-Dominion deck builders have -- you don't know which cards will be made available to you except in small immediate-decision situations where three to six cards might be presented to you.

Slay the Spire is a very compelling experience, but merely a decent game. The draw comes from the decks you almost could've made had you gotten the right cards, not the things you actually did do while chasing that dragon.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Steamworld Dig 2 had the most satisfying movement (through the world, not combat) of any metroidvania game I've ever played

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Huxley posted:

I preferred the exploration and movement and it has basically zero focus on boss fights, which were far and away my least-favorite parts of HK.

HK is more of a combat platformer where SD2 is more of a chill poke around and explore new places game (until you get the last movement upgrade and it turns into a rollicking 2D spider man game).

It's map is probably half the size of HK but the game is a quarter as long, which was a plus for me.

Do i gotta Dig 1 first? That sounds nice.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Slay the Spire is the best game of 2018

probably 2019 too

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Do i gotta Dig 1 first? That sounds nice.

Nope, 2 is better in pretty much every way and the story in 2 will catch you up quickly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Can’t wait to be disappointed by Wargroove next week

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Aw dang I want steamworld heist 2 dammit. Not too keen on card based games, but image and form have never led me astray, so I'm gonna day 1 it

I need a new tactics game and I see achtung cthulhu tactics is getting released tomorrow for $25, is that a good game?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Can't wait to buy and play through 1/3 of Wargroove before I remember I suck at these games and only beat advance wars through following guides on gamefaqs

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pharohman777 posted:

I hope you have the same huge sales on the switch other indie games report. Good luck!

Switch has been great for us in terms of profit, so I sure hope so!

Hammer Bro. posted:

I might pick your brain after your lips have loosened about the card game aspect. I've been working on a hobby side project that'll probably never see the light of day and I realized that deck-building combat would be perfect for it.

Be happy to, my dude. And thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's an Action/RPG/Puzzle/Platformer, and also sort of a Quintet fan game. The combat is pretty neat, it's a super fast mix of melee and ranged combat, with parries and element juggling and interaction with the environment. It's got a lot of that super fast pacing and heavily skill based gameplay of older Ys games. There's a skill tree to work through as well, mainly it serves as a way to customize your combat special attacks though.

It's also is packed full of puzzles and environmental platforming, lots of figuring out how to traverse map screen and get to secrets and stuff like that. One of your core combat/puzzle abilities is to throw aimed projects with the R-stick, which can bounce off walls to hit switches or manipulate objects, all of which gets increasingly more complex as you gain access to new elements that interact with things in different ways.

Story and characters are a lot of fun, it's a bizarre virtual MMO kind of deal (sort of like .Hack or stuff like that). Tons of side questing to do.

That being said, kind of the issue with the game is that it's just a bit too much. Based on the trailers you'd think it's mostly an action/rpg, but in reality is about 80% jumping around and solving puzzles, the combat is a pretty small part of it. And on top of that, as the game goes on even the combat starts largely becoming puzzle oriented in places. It's also very a long game for it's type, and I see people constantly posting about how they get burnt out on it like half way through (exact same thing happened to me, though I still hope to be able to get back into it and finish it eventually).

It actually sounds like something I’d be pretty interested in trying out!