Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Baldinger said his ceiling is the next Jason Peters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It's a shame the matchups last week weren't reversed so we'd be watching the Saints vs the Eagles this week

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Well, I no longer feel that the missed fumble in the Eagles/Cowboys game is the most egregious officiating error this season.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

True, but he left out that Zach Ertz became an unstoppable machine at TE. The receivers are fine I think. I have a good feeling about Goddard turning into a real genuine scary threat.

Biggest issue with Eagles this year were injuries and the loss of a real threat at RB. The injuries in the secondary actually brought out some dudes who look like they can play. I'm a Wentz backer and think the birds are in good shape headed into the offseason, especially in this division.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

gently caress the Patriots

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Bananana posted:

gently caress the Patriots

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nah, if the Cowboys aren't going to make it I'd rather the rest of the league be unhappy. Go Patriots. This league deserves it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is Peters a hall of famer? 6 all pros, 9 pro bowls, a decade of relative dominance and another half of very good play, technically has a ring... I'm not sure exactly what it takes for linemen to get in, but it seems like he has a good case

e: two all pros and four second team all pros, apparently. also: he started as a TE??

indigi fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 21, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I absolutely believe he can do it. He's a rare athlete, with immense size and strength but also incredible agility for a 6'8" man.

I also really want him to succeed because I think it would be very cool if the NFL sourced more players from abroad.

Asproigerosis posted:

? that's a lot of wishful thinking when the guy hasn't played a single snap.

Well yeah it's just a hope, but remember that he'd never played football before in his life. So the fact that he hasn't played yet doesn't mean anything except he had a lot to learn. In fact him still being on the team at all is a good sign I'd say.

He looked very promising in the preseason, and that was when he had just a few weeks of football experience. Apparently he injured his back this season which is one of the reasons he never played.

indigi posted:

is Peters a hall of famer? 6 all pros, 9 pro bowls, a decade of relative dominance and another half of very good play, technically has a ring... I'm not sure exactly what it takes for linemen to get in, but it seems like he has a good case

I think so, for sure. No idea if others will agree but he's had an excellent career.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Peters is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

no question.

IMO

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Nah, if the Cowboys aren't going to make it I'd rather the rest of the league be unhappy. Go Patriots. This league deserves it.

gently caress off idiot

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

sponges posted:

gently caress off idiot

My way or the highway, burn it all

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

My way or the highway, burn it all

I recommend you stop watching altogether, as the Cowboys will never get there again

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell yeah dude, fight the power

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Go Pats

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Shinjobi, I like you and think that you are a good poster, but you are wrong. Tom Brady deserves nothing but sadness. I'm going to cheer for the Rams, but I'll probably not watch the Superbowl.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/thephillyvoice/status/1087349148922322950?s=19

cool

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

audience of one [carson wentz]

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don't buy it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Completely unsurprising

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
https://twitter.com/fcoxx_91/status/1087367581323984896

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

See, that's that good poo poo.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Perhaps the writer had an agenda? Peep the date...

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/TorreySmithWR/status/1087384667253133312?s=19
https://twitter.com/NateSudfeld/status/1087392560861986816?s=19
https://twitter.com/LaneJohnson65/status/1087378123895726080?s=19

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 21, 2019

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WIP Caller Galaxy Brain Theory - Carson is such a narcissist that he is actually the source for the article and he did it to see how his teammates would react.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a new study bible! posted:

Shinjobi, I like you and think that you are a good poster, but you are wrong. Tom Brady deserves nothing but sadness. I'm going to cheer for the Rams, but I'll probably not watch the Superbowl.

Everybody has their own approach to it, so you do you and be cool with it, imo

I'm as tired of the Pats in the super bowl as everyone else, but knowing that it literally drives every other fanbase insane gives me some sort of comfort.

EDIT: also that article is balls and shame on anyone in Philly who buys into it. The second the Eagles abandon Wentz there will be 1000 years of darkness.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

WIP Caller Galaxy Brain Theory - Carson is such a narcissist that he is actually the source for the article and he did it to see how his teammates would react.

I'd buy that he was feeling insecure after being sidelined the last two playoff runs more than I would narcissism (obviously neither are true)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

ELO Musk posted:

I don't buy it

Chris James 2 posted:

Completely unsurprising

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

WIP has been utterly consumed by this story all day

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

shyduck posted:

WIP has been utterly consumed by this story all day

Yeah but I’m glad it’s being ripped apart by that guy whose name escapes me

E: Eskin

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

EDIT: also that article is balls and shame on anyone in Philly who buys into it. The second the Eagles abandon Wentz there will be 1000 years of darkness.

For some reason, Philly fans like to gently caress around with their best players and biggest stars. Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Charles Barkley, Randall Cunningham, Eric Lindros, McNabb, Ryan Howard...

They seem to be doing it now with Wentz and Ben Simmons too. Certain guys get a pass it seems (Dykstra, Iverson, Pete Rose, Reggie White) but overall, for some reason, we really seem to beat up on our best guys while they're playing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Who do you guys think the source was? Given the complaints about Ertz always getting the ball, I suppose I'd guess Agholor. If it isn't made up from whole cloth, of course

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Play posted:

Who do you guys think the source was? Given the complaints about Ertz always getting the ball, I suppose I'd guess Agholor. If it isn't made up from whole cloth, of course

Chip Kelly dressed in a fake moustache and comedy glasses/nose

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Which one?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

They seem to be doing it now with Wentz and Ben Simmons too. Certain guys get a pass it seems (Dykstra, Iverson, Pete Rose, Reggie White) but overall, for some reason, we really seem to beat up on our best guys while they're playing.

Maybe you are too young to remember it, but Iverson certainly did not get a pass. I think he divided the city more any athlete in my lifetime. And it was mostly along racial lines.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Embiid seems pretty immune to it right now.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think the city/US culture has changed a lot since the days of Iverson so it would stand to reason that Embiid wouldn't get the same bullshit. I watched something on Iverson last year and it made a point to talk about how much he was affecting basketball/sports culture in the way he acted so that's probably part of it too. He was a bit before my time, though, so I don't know how true that is.

rujasu posted:

Which one?

Howard

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

Maybe you are too young to remember it, but Iverson certainly did not get a pass. I think he divided the city more any athlete in my lifetime. And it was mostly along racial lines.

I don't recall him catching a lot of poo poo as a player and I'm pretty old. I know he was controversial but fans (for a change) didn't hang the team's failures on him.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

ELO Musk posted:

I think the city/US culture has changed a lot since the days of Iverson so it would stand to reason that Embiid wouldn't get the same bullshit. I watched something on Iverson last year and it made a point to talk about how much he was affecting basketball/sports culture in the way he acted so that's probably part of it too. He was a bit before my time, though, so I don't know how true that is.

It’s absolute true. Iverson is the reason the NBA has a dress code. He was one of the first players to wear cornrows. He was one of the players that brought tattoos into the mainstream. He brought hip hop and urban culture to the NBA and the league loving despised him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

For some reason, Philly fans like to gently caress around with their best players and biggest stars. Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Charles Barkley, Randall Cunningham, Eric Lindros, McNabb, Ryan Howard...

I love the man but Ryan Howard absolutely doesn't belong on this list. he was probably the fourth or fifth best player on those teams. also Ben Simmons is afraid to shoot and that's corny and he needs to be better

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't recall him catching a lot of poo poo as a player and I'm pretty old. I know he was controversial but fans (for a change) didn't hang the team's failures on him.

yeah they didn't "like" him but they loved the way he played. even his biggest haters were absolutely smitten with his 2001 playoff performance. they weren't crazy about the dude or his personality but they at least respected his game

e:

Play posted:

probably Jeffrey or Agholor, although even Torrey Smith came out in support of Wentz so idk, could have just been some assistant position coach trying to get some shine

indigi fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 23, 2019