Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mcmagic posted:

We gotta get AOC as Imperator

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm hoping that in 2020, Democratic voters will see 'reaching across the aisle' as a negative trait.

i mean, i think we do already, or at least the younger/freshmen/millenial dems.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

friendbot2000 posted:

Is WitSec listed as Essential?

Yes - the funding is. Though THAT brings up an interesting question about those marshals - all the field officers are for sure essentials (support staff isn't always) so they are likely not getting a ton of support. I can't fathom how the day to day stuff is currently getting done.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

mcmagic posted:

We gotta get AOC talking about a wealth tax....

While we're at it, let's lean into the "death tax."

"Of course we're gonna take those rich fucks' money after they die. Their spoiled kids certainly don't need any more of it and I know of about 10,000 kids who could get an education with that money."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I'm fine with that.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Democrats have no idea what to do with a winning hand.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1088098230355853312?s=19

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

This is clearly a bait to get Trump to admit the shutdown is about *his* stupid wall.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

No it isn't. This was always gonna happen. The purpose of laws like this is not that they will work but to get abortion relitigated in the Supreme Court.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Yes - the funding is. Though THAT brings up an interesting question about those marshals - all the field officers are for sure essentials (support staff isn't always) so they are likely not getting a ton of support. I can't fathom how the day to day stuff is currently getting done.

So people who process intel regarding threats to witnesses and other analysts that keep WitSec turning might not be essential. Fantastic.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Hasn't this been Democrats position? Money for border security, sure, but not a wall?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Reminder also that Bernie surprised everyone with an upset win in Michigan so :lol: that Biden would sabotage the Dems there.

Also Glenn Kessler: "I showed you my pinocchios, please respond"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pylons posted:

Hasn't this been Democrats position? Money for border security, sure, but not a wall?

It *was* the Democrat position. Now the position should be "no business of any kind will be considered until the government is reopened".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How quickly would this resolve itself if essential presidential staff started calling in?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

No Safe Word posted:

Ah yes let's ask the rich if they want to give up their money, clearly they are unbiased.

The whole prosperity gospel approach is possibly the worst thing to emerge from capitalism in the past century.

Its the divine right of kings all over again but with wealth.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DynamicSloth posted:

A reminder that Pelosi's leadership team is utter poo poo.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Pylons posted:

More along the lines of money for ports of entry, not racist monuments. We desperately need to upgrade ports of entry because our infrastructure there is loving abysmal.

They are operating on refurbished Dell Optiplex PCs and Pentium 2s....

saltylopez posted:

Reminder also that Bernie surprised everyone with an upset win in Michigan so :lol: that Biden would sabotage the Dems there.

Also Glenn Kessler: "I showed you my pinocchios, please respond"

This is what Kessler calls his mushroom dick

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Executive staff is all pretty much loyalists anymore so them not getting paid doesn't matter to most of them. Specially since most already make enough money to not care.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

haveblue posted:

It *was* the Democrat position. Now the position should be "no business of any kind will be considered until the government is reopened".

I mean, I thought some amount of border security money was in the CR that's passed the house. Just not for a wall.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1088120001964462080

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
5.7 is too much, and I don't really like that it's being offered but I'm not suffering directly from the shutdown yet so whatever I guess.

edit: just possibility of it being offered

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

Republicans and Trump will refuse, which will reinforce the notion that this is about the wall and Trump's ego, not border security.

It isn't the worst idea.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Dems have previously increased their offer of additional non-wall border security since the shutdown began. This isn’t some unprecedented development. It’s obvious bait that Trump will fall for by rejecting it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Republicans and Trump will refuse, which will reinforce the notion that this is about the wall and Trump's ego, not border security.

It isn't the worst idea.

And it kills the defense that "dems are just too cheap to pay for border security"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Pylons posted:

So there really is no difference in their positions. 5.7 billion won't be enough to build a real wall anyway. 800,000 federal workers are going without pay over whether the same money spent the same way is branded a wall or not. If Trump was smart enough to take the money he'll just call whatever barriers they erect with the money his "wall" anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I don't see him doing anything that shows that he's addressing his unpopularity with non-chuds.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DynamicSloth posted:

So there really is no difference in their positions. 5.7 billion won't be enough to build a real wall anyway. 800,000 federal workers are going without pay over whether the same money spent the same way is branded a wall or not. If Trump was smart enough to take the money he'll just call whatever barriers they erect with the money his "wall" anyway.

"You see, it was more of a metaphorical wall"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pylons posted:

Yeah. The 1 billion figure previously offered had 1/2 go to points of entry improvements and the rest to staffing and immigration judges

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

"You see, it was more of a metaphorical wall"

Donny has no object permanency so he would never get how a metaphor works.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dems have previously increased their offer of additional non-wall border security since the shutdown began. This isn’t some unprecedented development. It’s obvious bait that Trump will fall for by rejecting it.

The dumbest thing is that if the President were anyone but Trump, Democrats wouldn't bother.

Then again, if anyone but Trump were President the government wouldn't be shut down, sooooo...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Radish posted:

https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/1088074733357285377?s=19

Conservatives could solve the climate crisis if they could harness their malicious hypocracy into green energy.

Dang

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
How much would it cost to have mimes pantomiming walls all along the border at all times?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

friendbot2000 posted:

Donny has no object permanency so he would never get how a metaphor works.

He does understand blatantly lying though, and it might just be enough!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1087907799151984640

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1088069209303760896

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

friendbot2000 posted:

So people who process intel regarding threats to witnesses and other analysts that keep WitSec turning might not be essential. Fantastic.

Support staff meaning the administrative people, assistants and secretaries I mean. Analysts and such are most certainly essential. For example - my husband’s agency has run into the issue with car insurance and have suspended field work. Except...the operations people in his office are not all essential and so they had a scramble to figure out what needed to be done to figure out the insurance situation. The name of the department which handles all that stuff for the entire government has completely slipped my mind - but they are not all essential. It’s like, the IRS is up and running but if there is no one there to do the actually work, tax returns aren’t getting done.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Trump has never had the slightest problem calling existing barriers part of his wall and Foxnews and Rush Limbaugh aren't going to call him on it either.

If Trump takes this deal he's going to look like a genius and his numbers will shoot back (to their normal 45%).

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Ralepozozaxe posted:

How much would it cost to have mimes pantomiming walls all along the border at all times?

Why do you want to drown hundreds of mimes in the middle of the Rio Grande River?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/1088121796014919681

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Trump is about as smart as a bowl of porridge.

Sending him grainy footage of people, dressed as migrants, pantomiming a wall in a desert landscape then telling him NASA came up with some newfangled Invis-O-Brick technology would probably loving work.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Family Values posted:

Why do you want to drown hundreds of mimes in the middle of the Rio Grande River?

Why do you not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Trump is about as smart as a bowl of porridge.

Sending him grainy footage of people, dressed as migrants, pantomiming a wall in a desert landscape then telling him NASA came up with some newfangled Invis-O-Brick technology would probably loving work.
No joke, Trump thinks the stealth jets are actually invisible.