Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"It peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 music chart, and was certified as double platinum, meaning two million copies were sold in the United States. Worldwide, the album sold around six million copies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pastry of the Year posted:

"It peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 music chart, and was certified as double platinum, meaning two million copies were sold in the United States. Worldwide, the album sold around six million copies."

So that's what that Simpsons joke was about.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

My mom had that!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Der Kyhe posted:

On CDs the glues and lacquers used to keep the layers together oxidize and get dimmer, making the CD harder to read.

Usually this becomes a problem with CDR/W -disks within 5-10 years, and album grade CDs in 15-20 years.

Other reasons:

A lot of people would leave CDs lying around in between listens, and not put them back into the case. If you were at a party at any time since CD players became a thing, you know what I mean. And what a bunch of those people would do is to put the CD label-side down, so that the playing surface wouldn't get scratched. But that was a misconception; the data layer is protected by a thick layer of polycarbonate on the bottom of the CD and it's much easier to damage the data layer by damaging the label side of the disc.

In the late 80s-early 90s, there was a large number of discs that started going bad due to a manufacturing defect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc_bronzing

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I liked that cd

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I love those guys.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4F9DxYhqmKw

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sir Lemming posted:

So that's what that Simpsons joke was about.

Also The Critic, though who other than turbo nerds that were around in the 90s remembers that show?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Also The Critic, though who other than turbo nerds that were around in the 90s remembers that show?

The Critic was really loving good.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

It stinks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Were the Benedictines responsible for the sample in Enigma's songs, or were Enigma popular enough to make the Benedictine recording happen?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I duno but man, listening to Enigma on my headphones at school made me feel like I was just so deep and spiritual. I was a fuckin dumbass though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

I duno but man, listening to Enigma on my headphones at school made me feel like I was just so deep and spiritual. I was a fuckin dumbass though.

Nah

Enigma was good, the benedictine monks were good

Deep forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJHTuh5wXkU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

syscall girl posted:

Nah

I didn't say the music sucked, I just said listening to it and thinking it makes you deep and spiritual is loving dumb.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My cousin played Return to Innocence at my birthday party. He said "this song speaks about America's taking of native american lands, which I am strongly against" and I was all 'ok can you show me how to finish Ninja Gaiden II now??'

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

I didn't say the music sucked, I just said listening to it and thinking it makes you deep and spiritual is loving dumb.

Sure. And that is perfect description of adolescence.

For me it was NIN, Depeche Mode and only later Nirvana.

Didn't get into the band until I was in college. Screaming along with Kurdt's vocals on the drive to school.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

Nah

Deep forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJHTuh5wXkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuIcT-u2Dmo

whole album owned

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

By my book! Lives on in every podcast.

Much music used to play the Uncensored version of Principles Of Lust. Titties on tv!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

twistedmentat posted:

I was 6 when The Critic ended and I have more memories of it than The Simpsons which I watched until moving to college in 07

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Has anyone posted The Ben Stiller Show? Too bad, here it is anyway.

https://youtu.be/AGfmfPYiO1w

Fun fact: writing for this is where Bob and David met

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Buy my book! Buy my book! Buy my book! Buy my book! BUY MY BOOK!
man that phrase looks like it's in a foreign language when you see it written out enough times

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Grassy Knowles posted:

Has anyone posted The Ben Stiller Show? Too bad, here it is anyway.

https://youtu.be/AGfmfPYiO1w

Fun fact: writing for this is where Bob and David met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-KnJP5ZP0

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The Critic is still pretty well-remembered, I think. The real deep-dive of adult animated sitcoms of the 90's would be...

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

The Critic is still pretty well-remembered, I think. The real deep-dive of adult animated sitcoms of the 90's would be...

I watched Duckman reruns on late night USA. When I saw a box set of the first two seasons for $4, I couldn't help myself.

What I've rewatched ... it isn't that bad. I'm sure there is cringey stuff, but Duckman himself was never presented as an upstanding individual.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Duckman himself was never presented as an upstanding individual.
Nah, he's pretty much set his life on autopilot/debauchery to avoid dealing with his wife's death.

The times he was portrayed sympathetically either dealt with his family or his inability to be a better person.
Which wasnt that bad in Duckman world, since everything was pretty hosed anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I don't think i've met anyone younger than me that knows anything about it. But nerds my age always talk fondly of it. Though everyone agrees on King of the Hill.

Duckman its actually pretty good, but it did get Family Guy levels of meanness sometimes.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I remember the sperm donation episode and literally nothing else about the series.

Does mission hill make the cutoff or does some of it coming out after 9/11 make it ineligible?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Volcott posted:

I remember the sperm donation episode and literally nothing else about the series.

Does mission hill make the cutoff or does some of it coming out after 9/11 make it ineligible?

I say because it was written and developed in the 90s, and takes a lot of its visual and other style cues from 90s stuff, I say it counts. And I loving LOVE MISSION HILL, I certainly saw myself as somewhat Andy and somewhat Kevin. It's also crazy ahead of its time, like there is an episode where the central story has a MMORPG as its focus. Who the gently caress in 99 or 2000 knew what that was? I barely knew something like Ultima Online or Dark Age of Camelot existed.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
Found a bootleg of the first concert I went to, Nirvana playing the Arizona State fair in 1993: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJhcNhepSUU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

uli2000 posted:

Found a bootleg of the first concert I went to, Nirvana playing the Arizona State fair in 1993: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJhcNhepSUU

Nice! That's on my playlist now.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Pffft, you want obscure "adult" animated sitcoms? I bring you Hanna-Barbera's twin failures:

At least people liked Duckman. Capitol Critters sucked and nobody even saw Fish Police.

See also: Family Dog, which aired at the same time and also crashed and burned, but my sister was upset by its loss

root beer has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Jan 24, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Pffft, you want obscure "adult" animated sitcoms? I bring you Hanna-Barbera's twin failures:

At least people liked Duckman. Capitol Critters sucked and nobody even saw Fish Police.

See also: Family Dog, which aired at the same time and also crashed and burned, but my sister was upset by its loss

I remember the Family Dog, it was a spinoff from an episode of Amazing Stories (I think)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember the Family Dog, it was a spinoff from an episode of Amazing Stories (I think)

Am I misremembering, or was the dog on that show really neglected/abused/etc.? I was young enough when it aired to basically have a sweet tooth for anything animated regardless of content or quality and yet I seem to specifically being upset enough by one viewing of that show to never watch it again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Am I misremembering, or was the dog on that show really neglected/abused/etc.? I was young enough when it aired to basically have a sweet tooth for anything animated regardless of content or quality and yet I seem to specifically being upset enough by one viewing of that show to never watch it again.

I don't really remember much other than the family went out one night, and they came back and had been robbed but the dog was just chilling, so everyone was mad at him. Then they went out again, and the same thing happened.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Simpsons already did it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

It was also created by Brad Bird.

My ex had a signed illustration of it from him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pffft, you want obscure "adult" animated sitcoms? I

Technically 90s adjacent but, I bring you the sitcom you watched and maybe read in papers and forgot ever existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6InUVg2Xds

Weird they never tried to make a Foxtrot animated series, now that I think about it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

No, the dog on the original short was a terrible guard dog, but a lovable and happy dog otherwise. After failing to protect the house again, he was sent to guard dog school to become "quivering, snarling, white-hot ball of canine terror." He ends up joining the criminals and begins a life of crime in the "Dog Gang".

There is a happy ending.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

No, the dog on the original short was a terrible guard dog, but a lovable and happy dog otherwise. After failing to protect the house again, he was sent to guard dog school to become "quivering, snarling, white-hot ball of canine terror." He ends up joining the criminals and begins a life of crime in the "Dog Gang".

There is a happy ending.

That's a relief! Where on earth did I get that memory? A bad dream?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Technically 90s adjacent but, I bring you the sitcom you watched and maybe read in papers and forgot ever existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6InUVg2Xds

Weird they never tried to make a Foxtrot animated series, now that I think about it.

All I remember from this is the episode where Drew Carrey convinces them to buy a minivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Sadly, none of this is SWAT KATS.