Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

AceClown posted:

It should be stable AF right now, honestly, they've tested the ever loving poo poo out of this pack to ensure there's no quest bugs or any issues at all.
So much anticipation for PO3's hard/kappa modes. Hopefully they're all done and released in time for finally finishing off sevtech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
in thaumcraft is there a good way to increase the amount of vis available for crafting things in your chunk or am i going to have to like, move my whole base somewhere else

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

in thaumcraft is there a good way to increase the amount of vis available for crafting things in your chunk or am i going to have to like, move my whole base somewhere else

You can't really increase max vis, but you CAN make a crafting bench add-on that uses 9 chunks of vis instead of just 1. If you can't make the items leading up to it, you can just pick up your bench and go put it down in a better chunk to make the items then bring your bench back.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Thaumcraft 2 may also have been my last preferred version because you could actually automate research :v:

I have good memories of back then, RIP YogBox, you were a ton of fun. Also the painterly texture pack with it was really good. Also the minions mod, all the different adventuring mods, etc.

Also I laughed when people said I was doing a terrible thing when I found a millinare temple and I uploaded a picture of me using a BC quarry on it's roof for it's gold blocks.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Project Ozone 3 is out and I removed some pointless mods (twitch chat integration, journeymap, chance cubes) and now a bunch of my recipes are hosed. I can't make string meshes because it just defaults to Erebus silk and the usual tiny charcoal recipe becomes useless Galacticraft charcoal chunks. It's not like it adds a bunch of load time to put those mods back in, but man that's a lovely thing.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Whalley posted:

Project Ozone 3 is out and I removed some pointless mods (twitch chat integration, journeymap, chance cubes) and now a bunch of my recipes are hosed. I can't make string meshes because it just defaults to Erebus silk and the usual tiny charcoal recipe becomes useless Galacticraft charcoal chunks. It's not like it adds a bunch of load time to put those mods back in, but man that's a lovely thing.

Those three mods aren't ones that should even be touching recipes, but with these huge mod packs who the gently caress knows how things actually interact.

I wonder what I should be spending all these reward tokens on. The ability totems are useless because you can easily get them with a mob farm, but I don't know what can even drop from the loot crates.

Edit: For Titan/Kappa modes I really hope that we don't have to dip into the hunting dimension if Ancient Golems don't ever spawn because you're apparently in the wrong biome in the sky. Having to hunt one down while dodging twelve million creepers and sniper skeletons.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 25, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Whalley posted:

Journeymap isn't pointless; even if you're on the skyblock garden of glass start, you open up a fully-featured nether, and probably other dimensions too.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Journeymap isn't pointless; even if you're on the skyblock garden of glass start, you open up a fully-featured nether, and probably other dimensions too.
I mean it's pointless to me. I turn it off and it slows down loading and I like having keybinds free to do other poo poo. I'm not calling it a terrible mod, just one I don't like.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Whalley posted:

I mean it's pointless to me. I turn it off and it slows down loading and I like having keybinds free to do other poo poo. I'm not calling it a terrible mod, just one I don't like.

You're nuts. If the map in question has any normal terrain generation, I need waypoints to live. How do you mark things that you've found to come back to later?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You're nuts. If the map in question has any normal terrain generation, I need waypoints to live. How do you mark things that you've found to come back to later?

I got me one of them there Brains What Remembers Maps. It forgets things like "what part of holding a sandwich is bread and what part is fingers" when eating, but maps? I got it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
In real life I can usually find my way if I get turned around but in minecraft I am loving lost without a map. I cant even play vanilla without F3.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Whalley posted:

I got me one of them there Brains What Remembers Maps. It forgets things like "what part of holding a sandwich is bread and what part is fingers" when eating, but maps? I got it.

So you're able to remember where hundreds of things are, even if you put the game down for a week then come back to it? Wow.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Maybe I'm not communicating it properly. Here's part of my TNFCEZ map:

They're not all on that slice, but I have 371 waypoints created. Granted, TFC's an extreme example, but gently caress me if waypoints aren't crucial on any map that isn't a pure skyblock with no alternate dimensions.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

People playing minecraft in a different way than me? Why I never

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Whalley posted:

*chuckles softly* I see you've never played Gregtech New Horizons. See the below image for an example of an ore waypoint grid I created to keep track of what ore vein is where. Good luck remembering a tenth of this in your head. And how do you avoid getting confused by false memories of worlds you've stopped playing?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I dunno it's kinda like saying "I don't use NEI/JEI I just remember recipes". Not using Journeymap definitely makes you the weird one.

Not that's it's wrong, it's just like bread and ketchup. I'm not going down that road but my best friend ate that for every meal of his entire life.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I think it's very different. There's in game ways in vanilla to signpost stuff, create roads, put up pillars, use signs. A map isn't that necessary, waypoints aren't necessary, and waypoint warps aren't necessary either. They're all helpful and can speedup gameplay depending on what you find fun, but they're hardly necessary.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I dunno it's kinda like saying "I don't use NEI/JEI I just remember recipes". Not using Journeymap definitely makes you the weird one.

Not that's it's wrong, it's just like bread and ketchup. I'm not going down that road but my best friend ate that for every meal of his entire life.

Didn't live long, did he?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

*chuckles softly* I see you've never played Gregtech New Horizons.

I tried this out for a bit a while back. Does NEI lag to utter poo poo for you when you look stuff up, too? I wonder what that is.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

McFrugal posted:

Didn't live long, did he?

Only because he fell off a 50 foot cliff.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I tried this out for a bit a while back. Does NEI lag to utter poo poo for you when you look stuff up, too? I wonder what that is.

Only the first time I open it. Standard procedure when I load a saved GTNH game is to open inventory, wait for lag spike, show the recipe for a random item, wait for second lag spike, then it's mostly fine until I get done with that play session however many hours later.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Maybe I'm not communicating it properly. Here's part of my TNFCEZ map:

They're not all on that slice, but I have 371 waypoints created. Granted, TFC's an extreme example, but gently caress me if waypoints aren't crucial on any map that isn't a pure skyblock with no alternate dimensions.
God, this screenshot. I'd forgotten the absolute stupidity of TFC's world generation.
If there's one single thing not exposed to configuration that I wish had been, that I wish I could have changed in TNFCEZ, it'd be biome size. I know they were trying to go for "realism" but it turns out there's a reason everything in Minecraft is scaled down. Having to trek across the whole loving world just to get a chance at a new stone layer (which has like a 1/16 chance of being the one you need, under the original configs) does not make a terribly enjoyable gameplay experience.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ambaire posted:

*chuckles softly* I see you've never played Gregtech New Horizons. See the below image for an example of an ore waypoint grid I created to keep track of what ore vein is where. Good luck remembering a tenth of this in your head. And how do you avoid getting confused by false memories of worlds you've stopped playing?

No that looks like unfun garbage tbh. I don't know, not everything is worth remembering or coming back to, but I don't really have problems remembering where poo poo is in Minecraft, even if I don't play a world for like a year. It's just, I dunno. Easy? To me? I don't really try at it, no memorizing or anything, it just happens.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

God, this screenshot. I'd forgotten the absolute stupidity of TFC's world generation.
If there's one single thing not exposed to configuration that I wish had been, that I wish I could have changed in TNFCEZ, it'd be biome size. I know they were trying to go for "realism" but it turns out there's a reason everything in Minecraft is scaled down. Having to trek across the whole loving world just to get a chance at a new stone layer (which has like a 1/16 chance of being the one you need, under the original configs) does not make a terribly enjoyable gameplay experience.

Yeah. This is actually an example of a very, very lucky spawn. Fruit was copious, I had a full suite of animals (even chickens, which are normally pretty tricky to find), and I found every single ore or mineral I needed except graphite, which had an alternate recipe with charcoal in TNFCEZ. (And once I no longer needed graphite for progression, of course I found a vein of it while excavating something else.) I've had TFC maps spawn me in the sub-500 rainfall dry grass that go on for light years with no available clay or fruit trees, the lack of the former locking me out of the entire tech tree.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
In the new Thaumcraft can you share research completely like before?
I didn't get much into it but my friend did and when he made the tome of whatever to share his knowledge it did give me something supposedly but I still couldn't do most things unless I went through and hit some of the steps myself.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So project ozone 3 garden of glass, is that skyblock?

Im sort of looking for a new mob pack but one that isnt skyblock (im still enjoying enigmatica 2, but looking at the crap i need for wyvern cores.... id have to compeltely reset up my base.)

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

So project ozone 3 garden of glass, is that skyblock?

Im sort of looking for a new mob pack but one that isnt skyblock (im still enjoying enigmatica 2, but looking at the crap i need for wyvern cores.... id have to compeltely reset up my base.)

Yes, Garden of Glass world type is a skyblock, but there are other types you can select if you don’t want a skyblock map. Just be aware that you’ll have to deal with blood moons on other map types.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Maguoob posted:

Yes, Garden of Glass world type is a skyblock, but there are other types you can select if you don’t want a skyblock map. Just be aware that you’ll have to deal with blood moons on other map types.

any difference in blood moons since 1.7 or whatever the last big batch of mods were? We're not talking teleporting creepers with x-ray vison right? just a whole bunch of mobs and cant sleep?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Just turn down blood moon frequency if you're doing non-skyblock maps. Or turn it off. For PO2, at least, it was supposedly only there to make mob farming easier for the skyblock start.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

any difference in blood moons since 1.7 or whatever the last big batch of mods were? We're not talking teleporting creepers with x-ray vison right? just a whole bunch of mobs and cant sleep?

Blood Moons in PO3 are on a 45% chance and all they do is greatly increase the spawn rate and prevent you from sleeping. Now you're not going to want to actually be out and about fighting mobs on the ground during a blood moon. You have normal creepers, charged creepers, and John Cena creepers are also back. Skeletons with bows are snipers and are super annoying to deal with when they're constantly spawning. If you play on a world type where you have to deal with mob spawns (default, sky islands, noodle) then you'll want to secure your area with torches and wall yourself off or you'll be spending blood moon time doing nothing.

None of the mobs in PO3 are inherently unfair, but a blood moon means you'll be swarmed with them. Obviously Garden of Glass means you don't have any areas they can spawn on unless you make it, but on default you can still do the tried and true dig down and live underground method. Also if you're playing on default and plan on going out in the world I'd recommend making a waystone (or two) and a warp stone so you can easily travel between your base and the world itself. Or you could just turn off (or greatly lower) the chances of blood moons, so that exploring isn't super risky.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

cool.

What are noodle and skyland maps like?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

cool.

What are noodle and skyland maps like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsU0uqLaf8g is a youtube video on the noodle world type. Just mute it and skip to like 1 minute in to actually see what it looks like.

Sky island is just, well, islands in the sky. If you look at the yogscast play through of PO2 that is what sky islands is. Also they can show you how not to play minecraft.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So noodle is when you mess up an rftool's world.

Sky islands looks sort of like a mix of skyblock but with some pre gen

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Skylands is a fantastic 'skyblock' style start in that there are a bunch of islands made of dirt. In the sky. Skip the early dirt grind and just restart until you have an aesthetically pleasing starting area.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ambaire posted:

*chuckles softly*

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maguoob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsU0uqLaf8g is a youtube video on the noodle world type. Just mute it and skip to like 1 minute in to actually see what it looks like.

Okay, I get that Noodle is spawning only filled-in caves, but: holy gently caress, this guy. This is the most obnoxious video I’ve seen in a long time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Stupid question, but, did something huge change between like ... 1.7? (whatever the old really popular modding version was) and 1.12? I remember running old technic mod packs like tekkit and hexxit without issues, but trying to run the Tekxit 1.12 mod pack just has my game totally chugging and hitching to the point it's completely unplayable.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 26, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Stupid question, but, did something huge change between like ... 1.7? (whatever the old really popular modding version was) and 1.12? I remember running old technic mod packs like tekkit and hexxit without issues, but trying to run the Tekxit 1.12 mod pack just has my game totally chugging and hitching to the point it's completely unplayable.

Yeah, everything takes significantly more ram now and while it's better in some ways, yikes at running bigger packs nowadays on a 1.7 specced computer

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

To expand, everything is now loaded into memory when the game starts which can be either really good or really bad depending on the system you're using.

The hitching is most likely java's garbage collection and can be helped along with
code:
-XX:+UseG1GC -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=2147483646 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M
Dump it into the "Additional Java Arguments" in whatever launcher you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Also check your Java. I have been trying a few 1.12 modpacks lately and they all ran like poo poo.
Finally I checked my Java, I was on version 8 but not the latest one. Updated and those slow modpacks work fine now.

Trying out Wheels of Time pack now and its pretty good.
Grindy but not too grindy.
Ores give 6 nuggets while gravel ores give 4. 1 coal per ore, though 1 coal per 8 flour.
Trees have stumps. No wooden axe or sword. Hardcore darkness, when no moon is out it gets real dark, real fast. And there is fear with effects.
Only have to chop lower part of tree.
Main mods are Better with Mods, Immersive Engineering and Thaumcraft.