Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

jivjov posted:

Which was done in the middle of the night in a remote location; again, the point being made is not "nah, things were hunkey dorey", it's "the public face of things was kept civil, while all the nasty poo poo happened in dark alleys and after dark".

That "civil face" was underwritten by the threat of violence, and was also used as a blank check to cover myriad forms of systemic exploitation and abuse. If you and your entire community are coerced into performing a subservient role because "nasty poo poo in the dark" is inevitably going to result from transgressive the perimeters of that role, than that mask of civility is not even a mask worth acknowledging. Racial politics in the US in the mid-20th century were characterized by violence, full-stop. Black Americans knew that white Americans would pay them less, demean their children, sexually harass or rape them with impunity, swindle them, humiliate them, and yes, physically assault or even kill them, because the country's monopoly on force was firmly on the side of white supremacy.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day was literally yesterday. Consider this quote from his Letter From Birmingham Jail, which reliably makes the rounds this time of year:

quote:

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

What King got, and which I think Letter forcefully demonstrates, is that this "negative peace" is just the resting state of a hideous violence. You can't separate the two-- the sneering, spitting, closed-fist racism of the lynch mob or the numerous men and women who terrorized Civil Rights demonstrators at sit-ins and marches isn't different in kind from the "polite racism" you're talking about. They're symptoms of the same thing-- one couldn't exist without the other. Look at photos from Birmingham, 1963; black demonstrators being blasted with hoses and attacked by police dogs. The famous photo from Bed-Stuy, '64-- little kids, teenage girls, running in terror from placid-faced cops. John Lewis in his capacity as chairman of the loving SNCC being beaten in Selam at 1965-- look at the photo, the way the cop's truncheon is swung back in an assured but almost lazy way, the way Lewis is protecting the side of his head just so-- this was the dance both of them knew. This was the bedrock that "civil" racism was built on. Look at this, also from 1965, Jackson, Mississippi. The kid is five years old and wouldn't give up a small American flag.

Or here-- this is the National Guard turning guns and unsheathed bayonets on peaceful marchers in 1968:

Because, look, for white supremacy, "peaceful marchers" is a contradiction. "Nonviolent demonstration" is a paradox. Anything that resists or challenges power in its resting state-- it's "civil" texture-- is responded to with maximal force. This is as true now as it was then. Conservative pearl-clutching about NFL players kneeling is incoherent without the knowledge that police can shoot black teenagers with a reasonable chance of getting away with it. "The Wall" is powerless as a concept without the unspoken understanding that the military could just massacre people at the border and a sizable chunk of the population wouldn't care. The family separation crisis is a case in point-- a grotesque violence against common humanity and dignity that most people just sort of.... didn't like but decided they could accept. If you're punching someone in the face with one hand while getting a relaxing manicure on the other, you can't in good faith say you're characterized by the chill pleasure of the manicure. You can't disavow the closed fist.

Edit: I think we posted at roughly the same time, so apologies. I think this:

Burkion posted:

They're not going to wonder if maybe they harbor some residual toxic thinking, because THEY aren't cartoonishly racist. Clearly we as a people have gotten better!

That's part of what rubs me the wrong way about the episode. The one bit of modern day racism we get is brought up super briefly in one of the only Yaz related dialogue moments. There's very little nuance on screen that might make a kid stop and go "is this still a problem, can I recognize these traits in myself?"

"Is there a situation where I would knowingly or unknowingly conform to racist ideals just because they are part of the societal norms?"

Is actually a really really sound point and one I agree with totally. The episode soft-pedals the extent to which racism has never been "solved." It's a poor fit with the series' gentle utopianism on a whole and the pointed pacifism of Whitaker's Doctor in particular-- I think in general placing the Doctor smack dab in the middle of historical atrocity raises uncomfortable questions that the series is rarely liable to address. If they're going to do an episode like this, though, they should be asking those uncomfortable questions. You're correct, contemporary kids should leave an episode where the Doctor faces white supremacy in the American South with some hard questions about themselves and their society, that I don't think this episode adequately sets up.

quote:

Which is also a bit odd given how intertwined feminism and the civil rights were in the 60s, which maybe should have been touched on more.

This is also spot-on I think and it's wild to me how cautious this series was about tackling sexism directly. I guess I'm not 100% surprised but it felt underwritten in many places in that regard.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

jivjov posted:

Which was done in the middle of the night in a remote location; again, the point being made is not "nah, things were hunkey dorey", it's "the public face of things was kept civil, while all the nasty poo poo happened in dark alleys and after dark".

This might have been accurate when it came to lynchings in the late 20th century or now, but not earlier. Some lynchings were announced in the local paper, made a spectacle, photographed, and then turned into postcards.

The idea that "the public face of things was kept civil" is not even accurate NOW, in 2019 Alabama. Racism is certainly more covert at times than it used to be, and many people who are racist need some indication beyond "I see you are white" to start saying racist things. But racist behavior registers immediately and publicly to its victims, and if pervasive, colors all their interactions with white people even in circumstances where racism is not directly at work. Institutional racism is part of why Presidents Bush and Trump could get angry or shout-y without a problem but President Obama had to be extremely careful not to show anger outside a very specific set of controlled behaviors.

It is true that there's some "bless your heart" style "polite" racism on display here. But there's multiple news stories every year about somebody leaning out the window of a frat house and yelling racial insults at a black student walking past. In broad daylight. On a college campus. In 21st century Alabama.

Racism loses its effectiveness if the people it is meant to "keep in line" are unaware of it. A facade of politeness might be put on for the benefit of the powerful, who might not themselves all be racist and thus could cause problems, but it will rarely be put on for the benefit of the powerless.

Burkion posted:

Let me clarify exactly what my issue was, because I think that's been lost.

My issue was not how racism was shown- or rather, it was the fact that literally every single white person in the entire episode that is from 1950s Alabama WAS super racist.

The one dude, the old people, sure whatever, the cop most definitely

But the waitress?

She shouldn't have been presented as the problem. For as lovely as the laws were, the Doctor and company came into this restaurant that was very clearly racist, but she's given zero sympathy. This would have been the one time to show a working woman, which is ITSELF a whole thing in 1950s Alabama (let alone 1950s in general) as sympathetic even if she still has to kow tow to the racist law of the land. Have her be frustrated that this group of people are making her already lovely day at work worse, not just belligerently racist and also mistaking an Indian woman for a Mexican

Because if literally every single person we see in the episode is so super racist and ready to pop off, without exception, that means that there is no one to relate to. Which is kind of a problem, because no one nowadays, no one in the modern day, that actually watches the show and enjoys it, is going to look at this episode and wonder 'is this still a serious problem?'

Besides our main characters, I related to every single black person on screen. While I understand your point, you might want to think about why you phrase the situation as "literally every single person" when what you mean is "every single white person who isn't Graham or the Doctor," because I don't think you don't see the black people as people. Why, then, does the episode not "work" unless there's a white person in the period who is relatable? And would you expect a black child in 2019 Alabama to need a white person to relate to as an ally (besides the Doctor and Graham, who to my mind are plenty enough) or the episode doesn't work for that child?

To your broader point, if I were a parent with a child watching this episode, I would want the conversation afterward to be "were things really that bad in the 50's" followed by me explaining that while not every white person was racist, racism was so institutionalized and pervasive that every single white person participated in it. There are plenty of people who were adults in the 50's and 60's you can talk to about that time. When my father worked in Baltimore in the 60s, he was in restaurants and at lunch counters when black protesters came in and sat down (illegally). Was he supporting a racist policy by eating at these institutions? Once these people (men, overwhelmingly) sat at the counter, what action could my father take that would support them? Is just sitting there quietly and doing nothing a tacit support for the racist law they were challenging? No 50 minute TV episode is going to get at these complex issues as well as a conversation can; the point is to trigger the conversations, not to render them unnecessary, because they ARE necessary even if Rosa had been a perfect episode of Doctor Who.

And Rosa wasn't written or aimed at people who are thoughtlessly racist. It isn't pitched at the modern racist who will see himself on the screen and rethink the way he lives his life. And that is fine. Because I genuinely do not believe that such a person would change his behavior if confronted with it in a single Doctor Who episode. Just consider what I think is your likely reaction to the blowback to your initial comment (which, I am guessing, must include a certain level of offense at being perceived as a racist when you want to be an ally, and an inevitable amount of defensiveness, too). From your perspective, you want to have the conversation and you get attacked as a racist for trying to start it.

But from another perspective, you could sound like the white moderate Archyduchess was just quoting MLK writing about. And for someone who might themselves have had the dogs set on them, phrasing like "literally every single person" sounds exactly like what they've had to live with every day of their lives.

The episode is clearly pitched at younger people who don't know the history at all, and who will be provoked into doing their own research and starting their own conversations. You can't even make the facile point that "things are better now, though," if you're ignorant about how bad they were VERY RECENTLY. Given that there are now teenagers for whom anything that happened in the 20th century is "ancient history," what the episode was doing seems worthwhile and even praiseworthy, though we can certainly argue about whether it would have been wiser or more effective to target an older audience.

Racism is complex, interwoven into everyone's lives, and covert mainly for the privileged. As privileged people engaging in a conversation about racism (or perhaps, direct action regarding it), we cannot afford to exempt ourselves from scrutiny. There's no switch inside your skull that gets flipped to "racist" as if it were an "on/off" variable. An initial step for people who are not the targets of racism needs to be a particular kind of awareness, and Rosa is a huge step forward for a show that has had fairly recent problems itself, ranging from Micky and Martha to the cringeworthy decision to have Twelve address Danny Pink as "P.E." I don't think we can have a conversation about the choices made in depicting racism in this one episode of the show without engaging more broadly with the program's own mixed record: I wasn't dismayed in watching that we didn't see a local white person who wasn't implicitly racist because I was too busy being relieved that the episode itself wasn't being unintentionally racist while trying to condemn racism.

To address your point in another way: the episode was about Rosa and the effect of racism on her life, not about a waitress in a Southern town who wasn't herself racist but who had to keep her feelings bottled up because if she served a black man she would lose her job. There are interesting and worthwhile stories to tell about the effect of racism on white people. But it seems reasonable to let the show first tell a story (one innovative for this program) about the effect of racism on black people.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 22, 2019

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Can we talk about how the newyears special is complete balls compared to eccie and Dalek instead?

Considering the plot is super similar.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dalek is actually pretty bad in most of the scenes/plot. It's just that the good stuff is SO GOOD that it makes up for a lot of the other shortcomings.

Resolution is a better episode overall/consistency wise, though it never hits the highs of Dalek. But then again it is always going to be difficult to make,"IT'S A DALEK!" hit as hard as that first appearance, considering there was some conjecture that the Daleks might end up not being part of the revival Doctor Who at all.

Edit: Also I don't want to look like I'm trying to sidle away from the racism conversation, because it's really good and interesting and I think it was (or should have been) one of the goals of Rosa to actually generate some level of conversation among people about racism in both its overt and covert forms.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Just saw the dumbest thing ever. Someone claiming that the ep "Rosa" was just pushing a "SJW agenda" because people weren't racist back then.
You can't call literally anything racist without a white person showing up to argue that it wasn't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

fist4jesus posted:

Can we talk about how the newyears special is complete balls compared to eccie and Dalek instead?

Considering the plot is super similar.

I don't even know if they are similar, really. The core element of 'a single Dalek turns up in a season devoid of them, wrecks poo poo, dies at the end' is there, but the episodes go in totally different directions with it. Dalek is a base under seige story that (rather literally) humanizes the Dalek, while Resolution is all about hunting this objective, undeniable monster down so they can stop it. Resolution has a lot of family and relationship-focused subplots with not much Doctor spotlight, Dalek is basically all about the Doctor processing that there's a living Dalek survivor of the Time War.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tangentially related, but that moment where all the Doctor's rage and hatred culminates in him breaking down and despairing,"They're all dead, Rose :negative:" in what I believe is the first explicit demonstration of his utter grief/guilt is an incredible moment.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Cleretic posted:

I don't even know if they are similar, really. The core element of 'a single Dalek turns up in a season devoid of them, wrecks poo poo, dies at the end' is there, but the episodes go in totally different directions with it. Dalek is a base under seige story that (rather literally) humanizes the Dalek, while Resolution is all about hunting this objective, undeniable monster down so they can stop it. Resolution has a lot of family and relationship-focused subplots with not much Doctor spotlight, Dalek is basically all about the Doctor processing that there's a living Dalek survivor of the Time War.

Dalek arrives on earth alone.
Dalek is defeated and captured by humans.
Humans contain Dalek.
Doctor picks up a signal and arrives.
Dalek escapes (I know I'm reaching here)
Dalek rampage.
Dr rallys, fights Dalek.

Its sort of the same basic framework. But Resolution is just bad.
Compare the doctors agony in Dalek, to resolutions where she is smirking and telling old mate, that she is the doctor. poo poo I think there is even a brexit joke in there, i'm sure that'll age well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jerusalem posted:

Tangentially related, but that moment where all the Doctor's rage and hatred culminates in him breaking down and despairing,"They're all dead, Rose :negative:" in what I believe is the first explicit demonstration of his utter grief/guilt is an incredible moment.

The whole Time War thing was teased out pretty slowly iirc. First episode mentions a war the Doctor fought in, second episode mentions that the Time Lords are all gone, then it's not until the sixth episode that we learn the Doctor deatroyed the Time Lords and Daleks together. I admire the patience

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

My biggest Doctor Who kokoro wish is to see Eccleston portray the Doctor just one more time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

fist4jesus posted:

Dalek arrives on earth alone.
Dalek is defeated and captured by humans.
Humans contain Dalek.
Doctor picks up a signal and arrives.
Dalek escapes (I know I'm reaching here)
Dalek rampage.
Dr rallys, fights Dalek.

Its sort of the same basic framework. But Resolution is just bad.
Compare the doctors agony in Dalek, to resolutions where she is smirking and telling old mate, that she is the doctor. poo poo I think there is even a brexit joke in there, i'm sure that'll age well.

Yeah, that's all sort of a base structural thing, rather than what most of the episodes actually focus on. You could probably deconstruct Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel and World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls similarly in a way that would make them sound similar, but I think most of us would disagree that they're alike outside of both being Cyberman origins.

That is sort of an interesting way to look at it, that they're essentially totally different stories built from the same base skeleton of story beats, but I wouldn't decry one of them for being a worse version of the other because they're interested in such fundamentally different parts of that story. I wouldn't even necessarily say that comparing the two Doctors' reactions is called for, because it's actually a very different context they find themselves in; Nine didn't even know the Daleks could still be around, while Thirteen is abundantly aware of their presence and abilities. Selling it as 'smirking and saying she's The Doctor' is deliberately simplifying it, too, because she's clearly got two very different responses to it, being smirking and bombastic to the Dalek's face while taking it seriously behind its back, which I think is a unique approach to things among revival Doctors but is something Thirteen seems to have made a thing of (I think Eleven might've done it sometimes, but Thirteen's been doing it a lot). So simplifying it as only one of those two sides is kinda reductive.

Also, the Brexit joke will age just fine, because they weren't specific about it so it won't date the episode much. The worst joke in the episode is the cut to the family with no internet, and that one will always be a groaner.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 23, 2019

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, that's all sort of a base structural thing, rather than what most of the episodes actually focus on. You could probably deconstruct Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel and World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls similarly in a way that would make them sound similar, but I think most of us would disagree that they're alike outside of both being Cyberman origins.

That is sort of an interesting way to look at it, that they're essentially totally different stories built from the same base skeleton of story beats, but I wouldn't decry one of them for being a worse version of the other because they're interested in such fundamentally different parts of that story. I wouldn't even necessarily say that comparing the two Doctors' reactions is called for, because it's actually a very different context they find themselves in; Nine didn't even know the Daleks could still be around, while Thirteen is abundantly aware of their presence and abilities. Selling it as 'smirking and saying she's The Doctor' is deliberately simplifying it, too, because she's clearly got two very different responses to it, being smirking and bombastic to the Dalek's face while taking it seriously behind its back, which I think is a unique approach to things among revival Doctors but is something Thirteen seems to have made a thing of (I think Eleven might've done it sometimes, but Thirteen's been doing it a lot). So simplifying it as only one of those two sides is kinda reductive.

Also, the Brexit joke will age just fine, because they weren't specific about it so it won't date the episode much. The worst joke in the episode is the cut to the family with no internet, and that one will always be a groaner.

alternatively; it's lazy bullshit writing for idiot british children from a disinterested and unmotivated showrunner.

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Also I don't want to look like I'm trying to sidle away from the racism conversation, because it's really good and interesting and I think it was (or should have been) one of the goals of Rosa to actually generate some level of conversation among people about racism in both its overt and covert forms.

*dean stockwell appears* "ziggy says there's a 98.99% chance the civil rights movement will never happen if rosa parks doesn't sit on that bus!"
*the doctor looks in a shop window and sees the reflection of a racist space greaser* "oh boy!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

Christ the bits with Nero running after his slave Barbara for just a little kiss haven’t aged well. Everyone having a good chuckle and the comedy music.

Haha, yeah, that one is tough to watch. It's like one stage removed from her grabbing her boobs and it making a "honka-honka!" noise.

I get where Burkion is coming from, that confronting more overt forms of racism or sexism is something writers frequently do to pat themselves on the backs instead of unpacking what racism really is, but I think Rosa is actually pretty good, and I went into it dreading that it would be cringeworthy. For one thing, the timing of it is good. Nevermind that people were very definitely that loudly racist in the streets back then, they've taken to being that loudly racist in the streets right now . People have been putting away their dogwhistles and breaking out their bullhorns in America.

They also intentionally take a break for the characters to discuss their present-day experiences and acknowledge that things have gotten better, but there's still a long way to go, in a way that I think has subtlety and nuance. Plus the actual villain of the story is basically just United States Representative, Steve King, given a time travel kit.

I get, but don't really agree with the idea that the episode is harmed by its characters forcing a specific event to occur, because it over-emphasizes false narratives about flashbulb moments in history (like, eh, sure, but that has universally been a thing for Doctor Who, and it's so that they can put the characters in historical situations without dealing with the "Why didn't you change it?" question - it's why Fixed Moments in Time is so vague as a concept), but the idea that Chibnall was doing a Whedonesque plea for cookies is wrongheaded IMO, if for no other reason than the co-wrote it with a black woman whose specialty is writing science fiction which explores racism.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The song at the end was over the top though, I admit.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

The song at the end was over the top though, I admit.

Yeah, that and the "check out this asteroid that was named Rosa Parks" moment were the only things that fell flat for me, and they're hardly the greatest television crimes ever committed by Doctor Who.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Bicyclops posted:

co-wrote it with a black woman whose specialty is writing science fiction which explores racism.

...for children and young adults, the intended audience of doctor who.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/1088164519229165569

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:3:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tosin Cole looks unhappy. IS HE LEAVING THE SHOW?!?!?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:toot:

Nowhere in the UK, judging by the weather.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Have they ever said if there will be a new years special next year?

If so then I'm vaguely curious if they are filming it first (because it will be the next episode to air) or last (because festive specials are usually tagged onto the end of shooting the regular episodes) or somewhere in the middle (because they dont need to record poo poo in broadcast order).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait they're filming a brand new season this year

but not releasing it until next year some time

Why

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Burkion posted:

Wait they're filming a brand new season this year

but not releasing it until next year some time

Why

Post-production and editing: It's A Thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Post-production and editing: It's A Thing.

For that long though?

Filming on Who doesn't take TOO long, you'd think they'd be able to start airing the new season late this year.

If filming started some time in the summer, I could see it. It's still January.

Is there a particular reason they're pushing off airing it all until next year?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Why, how long does filming take?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Really bummed I missed The Caves of Androzani on Twitch either late last night or early this morning. I've managed to watch every other regeneration episode.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Cleretic posted:

Selling it as 'smirking and saying she's The Doctor' is deliberately simplifying it, too

Yeah, nah I dont think so.

Lets compare: Resolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMcJx-Qz_aM

To: Dalek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjUSzpYcuA

Same basic elements. But in my opinion only the second works.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Burkion posted:

For that long though?

:pray: 13 episode season + a special? Maybe? Hopefully?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

fist4jesus posted:

Yeah, nah I dont think so.

Lets compare: Resolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMcJx-Qz_aM

To: Dalek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjUSzpYcuA

Same basic elements. But in my opinion only the second works.

Fun how you ignored the actual point I was making that she treats it far differently to its face than behind its back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Tosin Cole looks unhappy. IS HE LEAVING THE SHOW?!?!?

"You know all that character development you got last season?"
"Yeah? :haw:"
"Well this year it's Mandip's turn."
"gently caress."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He would be the best one to eliminate imo as Yaz hasn't had any of her potential touched on yet and Graham is the favourite, and also Tosin Cole is the worst actor of the four

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like him! I don't want him gone, I just think he (and Graham to be fair) got the bulk of the character work last season and I hope Yaz gets more next time.

I mean, ideally they should ALL get a ton of character development.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This is the year that EVERY Who companion learns to call Graham "grandad."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

IO9 has a nice write up on Big Finish for newbies in The Year of No TV Who:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/there-has-never-been-a-better-time-to-start-listening-t-1831936544

And in the comments, the hottest of hot takes:

quote:

wl;akj
James Whitbrook
1/23/19 6:37pm
No thanks. Sorry but why should I care about this? It’s about a stuck up white manexplainer who needs to fill in his hapless badly written female damsel character. Nevermind how stupid the stories are. Where’s the message, where’s the explanation of the truth? All they have are dump and pointless “monsters” (if you are being exceptionally generous) turn up while the Doctor waves a magic wand and stops them. So glad this new direction is finally getting rid of this malarkey or reinventing it to be so much better than anything in the past could ever hope to match. Maybe when a good doctor (ie the 13th, ie the only good one) shows up in the audios maybe then they might be good and interesting.

And I’m surprised and ashamed of you for pushing this thing, io9. Yeah just keep shoving those bland and unremarkable white guy heroes when you have so much better stuff to rewatch now.

I can't even tell what's real and what's parody anymore. :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's an extremely obvious troll but a bunch of people will take the bait.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The sad thing is, if you swapped the genders that they're complaining about, I'd probably believe they were being genuine

There's a lot of weird loving people

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

This is the year that EVERY Who companion learns to call Graham "grandad."

Finally, Susan returns!

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
So what was up with Demon's of the Punjab looking about 10 times better than any other episode of who, like that was some seriously stunning cinematography.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Catfishenfuego posted:

So what was up with Demon's of the Punjab looking about 10 times better than any other episode of who, like that was some seriously stunning cinematography.

Spain + Fresh DP, probably.

Sam Heasman did that episode and the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Might just be as simple as the location making a huge difference :shrug: