Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

No one is arguing that it isn’t *possible* to read Chewbacca as subhuman

It's funny because in Mel Brooks' seminal lampoon spoof, Spaceballs, he makes the same dog comparison that Cnut does by turning Chewbacca into a Mog, a half-man, half-dog person, but unlike Cnut, he doesn't read the character as an animalistic stereotype, but rather gives Barf culture (his full name is Barfolemew, which implies class stature), religion (Barf's an implied christian as he recites the Lord's Prayer during the final act), and his own agency (he's "his own best friend" and has thus transcended both his dog half and his narcissistic human half who needs validation from outsides species because he can't be his own best friend).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

And you're a blithering moron who has never contributed anything remotely worthwhile to the thread in all the years I've seen you post here. But at least what I said has the benefit of being true.

This is a pretty good self own tho.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I am thoroughly enjoying this

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cnut the Great posted:

That moment represents the final death of the last remaining vestige of Anakin Skywalker. It's the moment of ultimate despair where he has lost the very last thing tying him to humanity and shuts down once and for all, giving himself fully to the machine. It is the last step in his reconstruction as Vader, which is why Sidious is so happy.

When next we see Vader, he is taking his place next to his master to oversee the construction of the Death Star, the ultimate symbol of all the concepts which we have been discussing. His arms are crossed in front of his chest, his body language explicitly closed, indicating that he has indeed closed himself off to human emotion:

This is in direct contrast to his final despairing wail, in which his arms are outstretched and his bosom exposed, in an emotionally vulnerable pose glaringly uncharacteristic for the Vader we later come to know:

There is a reason this transition is made, and made in the manner that it is, and in the context that it is.

Here's the thing: Vader is obviously not emotionless, and clearly displays emotion in every Star Wars movie in which he appears, starting from the first. He gets annoyed or full-on angry, he acts petty and spiteful, he gets confused, he makes little jokes to himself, he emotes animatedly with his arms and stance even though we can't see his facial expression. If you think that Vader is an emotionless machine, you are in disagreement with Luke Skywalker himself, who correctly judged that Vader actually has plenty of complex feelings which he's just trained himself not to act on.

Like, you understand that if someone gets really, really mad, like screaming-at-God mad, and then a little while later they're standing quietly with their arms crossed, they haven't stopped feeling things, right? While someone in a sulk would certainly like to think that they are, or that they look like, an unfeeling automaton, the truth is that they're in a sulk. They're feeling all kinds of stuff.

Bongo Bill pointed out earlier that you're badly confusing the idea of being dehumanized (socially designated as lacking human rights, and therefore an acceptable target of abuse) and not being a person (being, like, a tree stump or a cow). You treat characters within the world of Star Wars who are dehumanized (like R2D2, or Darth Vader) as though they actually aren't people and actually, morally, deserve to be treated like slaves and monsters.

Well, you're also confusing the idea of being emotionally closed off and of being emotionless. If someone is badly hurt, they may turn inward and become unwilling to express their feelings to others. But those feelings are still there - something being repressed is not the same as something being absent. And the proof is right there at the end of the third movie - RotJ ends with Vader's repressed emotions coming to the fore, just as Luke predicts.

Your problem is that you've decided what the answer has to be before actually making an investigation, which is why you keep making all these nonsensical and internally contradictory claims about acting too emotionally is what makes people into emotionless machines or how a droid's lack of emotion is evident in the way that a droid is incapable of restricting or disciplining their emotions. Also, speaking of the end of RotJ,

Cnut the Great posted:

This is all meaningless blather. The intellectual clarity of my post juxtaposed against the confused word salad which you have produced to respond to it is sufficient counter-response. I only respond to you when it presents an opportunity for constructive correction or elaboration on a topic which interests me. This squishy turd of yours presents no such opportunities. However, I do want to draw special attention to this, for entertainment purposes:

Here you're responding to a very straightforward, and trivially true point: Luke's intent at the end of RotJ is to kill the Emperor with Vader's help. He succeeds. So what's the problem? Why do you cringe away from actually responding?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its interesting how easily and quickly feelings of superiority come to him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It’s important to understand that was punctuated with the slap of a glove across the cheek.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Seeing the color orange intelligently:

Luke Skywalker's orange jumpsuit shows that he is a bestial, animalistic, child-creature (fire-creature) governed by mechanical impulses. The pure hatred of the jumpsuit consumes Luke, consuming him in the system (machine). He's soulless. He's a goddamn monkey.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Cnut the Great posted:

You do understand I'm far smarter than you, right? That can't possibly have escaped your notice, even as dull as you are.

This is not me bragging about my intelligence, by the way. I am truly of strictly average intelligence. Think about the implications of that. I think even you can figure out what that means.

in case you didnt figure it out euphronis, cnut is calling you stupid

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Imagine being such an rear end in a top hat in an argument that SMG comes off as the reasonable one

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Luke Skywalker's orange jumpsuit shows that he is a bestial, animalistic, child-creature (fire-creature) governed by mechanical impulses. The pure hatred of the jumpsuit consumes Luke, consuming him in the system (machine). He's soulless. He's a goddamn monkey.

C’mon, you apes! You wanna live forever by the grace of the living Force?!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

C’mon, you apes! You wanna live forever by the grace of the living Force?!

Everyone fought, and no one quit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Slutitution posted:

How about Knights of the Old Republic with the tone of Blade Runner, with an emphasis on the majestic power and ideology of the Jedi and the Sith. The plot can involve some detective noir stuff.

Yep, and for love of the Force, include HK-47.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ruddiger posted:

(he's "his own best friend" and has thus transcended both his dog half and his narcissistic human half who needs validation from outsides species because he can't be his own best friend).

this is an extremely funny post, thank you

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TizzCmFZmas

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ferrinus posted:

Here you're responding to a very straightforward, and trivially true point: Luke's intent at the end of RotJ is to kill the Emperor with Vader's help. He succeeds. So what's the problem? Why do you cringe away from actually responding?

This might be a good time to point out Cnut will not answer the question of whether calling fictional black characters - in this case, Mace Windu - the n-word is racist or not (it is, Cnut); in fact, he threw a bizarre temper tantrum when the question was posed to him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuvwsjtel8Q

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Slutitution posted:

This might be a good time to point out Cnut will not answer the question of whether calling fictional black characters - in this case, Mace Windu - the n-word is racist or not (it is, Cnut); in fact, he threw a bizarre temper tantrum when the question was posed to him.

Not to toot my own horn but, actually, it was posed to me and I dismantled that challenge’s premises fully and thoroughly.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

porfiria posted:

Not to toot my own horn but, actually, it was posed to me and I dismantled that challenge’s premises fully and thoroughly.

It was posed to him as well. I must have missed your answer, though. So, are you a racist? :smug:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Slutitution posted:

It was posed to him as well. I must have missed your answer, though. So, are you a racist? :smug:

I am a racist but the premise is still flawed.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

porfiria posted:

I am a racist but the premise is still flawed.

So own it and call Mace Windu the n-word, then.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Slutitution posted:

I already have search through my post history.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

porfiria posted:

I already have search through my post history.

You gave a dodgy answer last time. Now is the time to be explicit about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The solution to this gordian knot is that even if you don't consider Mace Windu a person or whatever that particular stupid argument is, leaving aside the person who is portraying the fictional non-person or whatever the gently caress, the n-word has its own connotations in reality and you're bringing them in when you use it. It would not be much better if, for instance, you called Boba Fett, Poe, Kit Fisto, or Han Solo that word. The word still has weight, same as when idiot high schoolers throw it or other words around, like when they use "gay" or the r-word as a negative.

e: I'm probably wording this badly

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 24, 2019

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Slutitution posted:

You gave a dodgy answer last time. Now is the time to be explicit about it.

Okay let me blunt: I have irrefutable proof that Mace Windu wasn’t born on Coruscant and was in fact born on Cato Neimodia. I’ll will be posting this proof on my blog in the days to come.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

porfiria posted:

Okay let me blunt: I have irrefutable proof that Mace Windu wasn’t born on Coruscant and was in fact born on Cato Neimodia. I’ll will be posting this proof on my blog in the days to come.

Why not just call Mace Windu the n-word now and get it over with?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Slutitution posted:

you seem extremely cool and normal

how did this thread end up in the place where people are making this baffling argument

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cease to Hope posted:

how did this thread end up in the place where people are making this baffling argument

People are trying very hard to own each other and not doing a great job of it

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

This thread is hilariously terrible. I love it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

Are droids people?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

PostNouveau posted:

Are droids people?

Depends. What color are they painted with?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I have information that will lead to Chancellor's Palpatine arrest.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Are droids people?

some of them. others are puppets or CG renders.

how did you get from there to calling mace windu racial slurs

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

People are trying very hard to own each other and not doing a great job of it

Star Wars: Droid got owned but is not a slave.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ya’ll need to get stung by bees

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This recent meltdown has rather highlighted the importance of social and economic context. Cnut’s rhetorical tactic is to use a sort of purposeful selective ignorance to decontextualize everything and create a new causality that he calls ‘symbolism’.

What is a machine? We just don’t know - we’ve given ourselves amnesia. But we’re also watching Star Wars, so let’s define machines as ‘Darth Vader’.

The thing they refer to as a ‘landspeeder’, for example, is clearly a type of Darth Vader. It must be powered by rage. No wonder Obiwan wants to get rid of it. Luke is consumed by the Darthspeeder - trapped in the front compartment behind a wall of glass, just like Darth Vader is trapped behind his googles. This glass barrier keeps Luke forever separated from the natural clouds of sand that would naturally blow into his eyeballs. He hates sand just like Darth Vader does - so the Darthspeeder is clearly overtaking Luke’s brain functions, controlling him in unnaturally.

And what is C3PO if not a Darthspeeder that has fully devoured its captive? There’s no Luke left behind those glassy sand-lenses. He’s an empty shell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator posted:

Ya’ll need to get stung by bees

I'm deathly allergic to bee stings so i'm gonna pass on this.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

This recent meltdown has rather highlighted the importance of social and economic context. Cnut’s rhetorical tactic is to use a sort of purposeful selective ignorance to decontextualize everything and create a new causality that he calls ‘symbolism’.

What is a machine? We just don’t know - we’ve given ourselves amnesia. But we’re also watching Star Wars, so let’s define machines as ‘Darth Vader’.

The thing they refer to as a ‘landspeeder’, for example, is clearly a type of Darth Vader. It must be powered by rage. No wonder Obiwan wants to get rid of it. Luke is consumed by the Darthspeeder - trapped in the front compartment behind a wall of glass, just like Darth Vader is trapped behind his googles. This glass barrier keeps Luke forever separated from the natural clouds of sand that would naturally blow into his eyeballs. He hates sand just like Darth Vader does - so the Darthspeeder is clearly overtaking Luke’s brain functions, controlling him in unnaturally.

And what is C3PO if not a Darthspeeder that has fully devoured its captive? There’s no Luke left behind those glassy sand-lenses. He’s an empty shell.

are you having a stroke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

some of them. others are puppets or CG renders.

how did you get from there to calling mace windu racial slurs

Uh so it's something like

"It's prejudiced to say they aren't people"

"No it's not because they're fictional"

"Well Mace Windu is fictional so if you really believed that, you'd be fine with calling him the n-word"

Everyone involved is a moron