Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Telsa Cola posted:

Is a Xenomorph mod possible with the code base?

Absolutely. You can actually make most of it with just XML stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Not pictured: another screen full of bugs.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Sunday Morning posted:

Rhadamant's YouTube LPs are pretty good. He has a few 1.0 LPs finished and a few ongoing.

Seconding this guy. Basically taught me the game. His Ice Sheet Challenge series was pretty impressive, if tedious at times. I'm really digging his Black Lake User Voted Challenge right now.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Since the Therapy mods author has semi stopped modding, any good mods for curing addictions that aren't too op?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

There's probably a mod that removes the negative mood from eating colonists. Never seen a fine meal addicted to anything.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Since the Therapy mods author has semi stopped modding, any good mods for curing addictions that aren't too op?

I forget which mod I have that does it, but it adds methadone as a “removes negative mood of addiction” while still having the work penalties and needing to be taken daily. You can also get them addicted to methadone.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

isndl posted:

Do your animals know how to operate the dispenser or do you have someone on full time feeding duty? What about your herbivores?

Paste is paste man. Doesn't matter what went in, what comes out is paste.

See here for how to mass produce paste:

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Nutrient_paste_dispenser

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

There's also a mod that let's you make paste at a drugs bench(bulk too)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pharnakes posted:

Paste is paste man. Doesn't matter what went in, what comes out is paste.

See here for how to mass produce paste:

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Nutrient_paste_dispenser

Guess animals don't get moodlets so don't care if it used to be meat. Having to micro a pawn to generate more meals seems like too much work for me though, I don't really look at stockpile numbers unless I'm trying to plan a new project.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

isndl posted:

Guess animals don't get moodlets so don't care if it used to be meat. Having to micro a pawn to generate more meals seems like too much work for me though, I don't really look at stockpile numbers unless I'm trying to plan a new project.

Now that I'm actually home, this is the mod I was talking about https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1555583045

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Either use a mod or else exploit the 3 tile raids pickup limit. Choke all the tiles within 3 around the dispenser with chunks or something, then put the pawn beside the dispenser and just hold down R.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Lol this game.

Started tutorial, Randy (base builder). Built some basic stuff inside a large walled enclave. Rooms are set up in corners of the square.

Room 1: Beds, desk, stove, table, chairs
Room 2: Nonorganic storage
Room 3: Butcher room / organic storage
Room 4: Wood -fired generator.

Open field: potato farm.

Everything is built, Im looking for what to do ... potato harvest isnt done yet. And we're almost out of meals. I sent my gunner out to shoot a megasloth, which ... rages out and downs him. Then heads for my colony. My two other people (married couple) stab it to death. They grab the downed colonist, put him in bed, begin harvesting the sloth.

Except, I have the stove and the butcher room 30 tiles from each other. And while Butcher guy is walking, the injuried guy dies in his bed. So I have Crafter girl begin digging a grave. And then Butcher collapses from infection. And crafter runs in from the outside, carries him to his bed ... and also collapses from starvation. I'm all set to watch this colony die.

And then ... new colonist. The Man in Black. He immediately starts treating everyone :v:

Thanks Randy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warmachine posted:

Not pictured: another screen full of bugs.

That is a lot of bugs and a lot of pawns. How do you manage THAT many pawns?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Loel posted:

Lol this game.

Started tutorial, Randy (base builder). Built some basic stuff inside a large walled enclave. Rooms are set up in corners of the square.

Room 1: Beds, desk, stove, table, chairs
Room 2: Nonorganic storage
Room 3: Butcher room / organic storage
Room 4: Wood -fired generator.

Open field: potato farm.

Everything is built, Im looking for what to do ... potato harvest isnt done yet. And we're almost out of meals. I sent my gunner out to shoot a megasloth, which ... rages out and downs him. Then heads for my colony. My two other people (married couple) stab it to death. They grab the downed colonist, put him in bed, begin harvesting the sloth.

In the future plant a small field of rice first. Like as soon as the game unpauses have everyone grab their weapons then immediately plant a small field of rice. Rice grows the fastest and gives you the best chance of a harvest before starvation. You don't want a BIG field of rice because it is also the most labour intensive per nutrition.

Corn is the best labor/nutrition, but it grows the slowest. Corn is usually your main crop. You don't want all corn though, because if your crop gets taken out by fire or blight forcing you to replant then you'll have a long wait for the next crop to come in. Also you have to be careful with corn in very cold biomes when there is less than 10 days left in your growing season.

Potato is the mediumist. It's special feature is that it reacts the least to soil fertility. If you have rocky soil plant potatoes. On the flip side, if your farm is in a "rich soil" area definitely don't plant potatoes there because they get the least benefit from it, plant rice or corn there.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
They slurrypede from alpha animals also makes feeding animals easy and I think you can basically have it feed itself.

It was nice till I had like 150 paste meals lying around rotting.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I saw a mod a while back that removed the random flavor debris and pebble graphics from smooth stone floors, but I didn't grab it at the time and I can't seem to find it again. Anyone else remember what it was called? :ohdear:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

jokes posted:

How do you manage THAT many pawns?

I just surpassed 70 pawns. I have them split 3/2 day shift/night shift. I've got 4 tailoring benches, 3 fabrication benches, 4 research benches, 2 electric stoves, 3 sculptors tables, ~20 muffalo/camel/alpacas, ~8 boomalopes, and 1 each of machining table/smithy/stone cutter table/drug table/brewery. From mods, I've got a rock processor bench from one of RFs terraforming mods, a grain grinding wheel, repair table, 2 looms, and probably a few other crafting locations I've forgotten. I have 4-6 colonists each on construction and planting duties. I have 6 colonists I've designated wardens who wear power armor, carrying maces and pain sticks (from Sparkling Worlds mod) who hang around the prison barracks and guest quarters, chatting up everyone, and otherwise they clean the area.

I've got massive outside fields and 2 sunlamps set up indoors with hydroponics.

I have wanted chickens, but I have not been able to obtain chickens.

I almost always have 8-10 colonists out on caravan mission duty.

With that many colonists, I use extended storage so I can store 110 meals on two tiles and I have one area that is basically food deep storage zone where, before winter starts, I try to have 600 fine meals (hearty stews from Rimcuisine, to be precise) as well as a full freezer of raw food for making during the winter. I also have ~2000 pemmican and ~4000 hardtack (basically pemmican, from Rimcuisine) on hand for caravan and "oh poo poo" supply.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Asimo posted:

I saw a mod a while back that removed the random flavor debris and pebble graphics from smooth stone floors, but I didn't grab it at the time and I can't seem to find it again. Anyone else remember what it was called? :ohdear:

It's called No Debris.

Original mod (0.18, still works)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=953263771
1.0 update (version number update)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1523001773

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Having such a rough start has really made me appreciate how important a comm panel and trade beacons are. Normally I have them set up pretty early but this time I'm 110 days without one set up and I'm yet to meet a non-neolithic trader. I'm drowning in weapons, leather and neutroglycerin and that's likely to make raids nastier. Hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running before long.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

I just surpassed 70 pawns. I have them split 3/2 day shift/night shift. I've got 4 tailoring benches, 3 fabrication benches, 4 research benches, 2 electric stoves, 3 sculptors tables, ~20 muffalo/camel/alpacas, ~8 boomalopes, and 1 each of machining table/smithy/stone cutter table/drug table/brewery. From mods, I've got a rock processor bench from one of RFs terraforming mods, a grain grinding wheel, repair table, 2 looms, and probably a few other crafting locations I've forgotten. I have 4-6 colonists each on construction and planting duties. I have 6 colonists I've designated wardens who wear power armor, carrying maces and pain sticks (from Sparkling Worlds mod) who hang around the prison barracks and guest quarters, chatting up everyone, and otherwise they clean the area.

I've got massive outside fields and 2 sunlamps set up indoors with hydroponics.

I have wanted chickens, but I have not been able to obtain chickens.

I almost always have 8-10 colonists out on caravan mission duty.

With that many colonists, I use extended storage so I can store 110 meals on two tiles and I have one area that is basically food deep storage zone where, before winter starts, I try to have 600 fine meals (hearty stews from Rimcuisine, to be precise) as well as a full freezer of raw food for making during the winter. I also have ~2000 pemmican and ~4000 hardtack (basically pemmican, from Rimcuisine) on hand for caravan and "oh poo poo" supply.

Avoid the chickens. They breed rapidly, and scale well, but christ almighty they are a burden on processing. I'm sure you already have felt the slow down, but adding chickens to the mix makes the problem infinitely worse. I had noticeable performance gains when my chickens were all caravanned off map due to a food shortage.

And, to provide my answer to the original question, you manage them like an RTS, with selection boxes and hotkeys. The biggest challenge is remembering who is supposed to do what.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Now that I'm actually home, this is the mod I was talking about https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1555583045

Half the draw of nutrient paste is that you don't have to spend work time making the meals, so adding recipes to make paste seems to be missing the point. Guess it's still good for those emergency situations where your cooks are gone.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thank you! :worship:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Avoid the chickens. They breed rapidly, and scale well, but christ almighty they are a burden on processing. I'm sure you already have felt the slow down, but adding chickens to the mix makes the problem infinitely worse. I had noticeable performance gains when my chickens were all caravanned off map due to a food shortage.

And, to provide my answer to the original question, you manage them like an RTS, with selection boxes and hotkeys. The biggest challenge is remembering who is supposed to do what.

Oh, processing speed... yeah, good point. I can only reliably run the game on 2x speed now, 3x speed doesn't seem any different.

I like to keep a supply of meat sources for fine meals though, and I don't really like relying on wild animal spawns. But, I may have to do just that.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

If your colony is at the point where you can sustain enough animals to make meat a staple but its costing you in processing, then that's the time to look for a mod to let you plant meat or something. I made myself an egg plant before things like Synthmeat and A Mod About Meat became available and that's as easy as a bit of copy and paste, but mods might float your boat more. They're OP if you don't have self restraint and use them before you're at the point of ranching, but whatever it's a single player game anyway.

If you just want to rip my laziness off place this somewhere in a plant def. It is OP as gently caress, since it's meant to substitute for an arbitrarily large chicken farm so act accordingly.
code:
<ThingDef ParentName="PlantBase">
    <defName>PlantEggPlant</defName>
    <label>egg plant</label>
    <description>A genetically modified plant that produces chicken eggs. Needs fertile soil to grow well.</description>
    <statBases>
      <MaxHitPoints>150</MaxHitPoints>
    </statBases>
    <graphicData>
      <texPath>Things/Plant/SmokeleafPlant</texPath>
      <graphicClass>Graphic_Random</graphicClass>
    </graphicData>
    <selectable>true</selectable>
    <pathCost>12</pathCost>
    <ingestible>
      <nutrition>0.30</nutrition>
    </ingestible>
    <plant>
			<fertilitySensitivity>1.0</fertilitySensitivity>
			<dieIfLeafless>true</dieIfLeafless>
			<reproduces>false</reproduces>
			<harvestTag>Standard</harvestTag>
			<harvestedThingDef>EggChickenUnfertilized</harvestedThingDef>
			<harvestYield>6</harvestYield>
			<sowTags>
				<li>Ground</li>
				<li>Hydroponic</li>
			</sowTags>
			<topWindExposure>0.35</topWindExposure>
			<growDays>11.3</growDays>
			<visualSizeRange>
        <min>0.3</min>
        <max>1.4</max>
      </visualSizeRange>
    </plant>
  </ThingDef>

Complications fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 24, 2019

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hen eggs are excellent sources of animal protein for lavish meals.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 24, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

isndl posted:

Half the draw of nutrient paste is that you don't have to spend work time making the meals, so adding recipes to make paste seems to be missing the point. Guess it's still good for those emergency situations where your cooks are gone.

It's mostly just to feed your prisoners paste without having a nutrient paste dispenser, especially prisoners that can't move which mine mysteriously don't.

Is there a mod that lets me have a sneak peek at what's beyond some rocks? like a ground scanner or something.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vegetable Garden had meat substitutes. I'll just keep hunting and maybe do some off-tile hunting if needed. Dinosauria and Megafauna mod means more chances for huge meat sources.

The local pirates decided to demand 266 silver from my colony (I've got over 27000 silver stockpiled) so I figured that meant I shouldn't take them seriously. I move my colonists to the front lines, stick my 5 on the mortars, and tell the pirates nope.

I am pretty poor at hitting moving targets with mortars. Like, outrageously bad.

But this time...

I changed my mind where to shoot the mortars twice. As they fired and the mortars were traveling, the pirates went past where I had targeted. I thought, "oh, another missed mortar barrage" and completely forgot that they could miss in a beneficial direction, and that's exactly what happened. Two mortars landed way off target, which happened to be right in the middle of the huge cluster of pirates. Out of the 56 pirates that showed up, only 8 made it off the map, and I only launched 5 mortars (1 barrage).

That was immensely satisfying.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You know you can target pawns with the.mortars right? You don't have to just use area fire.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Nalesh posted:

It's mostly just to feed your prisoners paste without having a nutrient paste dispenser, especially prisoners that can't move which mine mysteriously don't.

Put the nutrient paste dispenser in the prison and prisoners will pull paste out of it automatically (or if they're unable to move, your warden will pull paste from it). My base designs now have the prison adjacent to the freezer for this reason!

Pharnakes posted:

You know you can target pawns with the.mortars right? You don't have to just use area fire.

He's trying to lead the target to account for travel time, targeting the pawn directly means it's a whiff when the mortar lands where the pawn used to be as they walk towards your base.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Started a new map now that I have the basic idea. Built storage rooms, butcher/kitchens, research/artisan, and bedrooms, surronded by a nice sandstone wall.

I can't for the life of me figure out growing. Ive got a field of corn on good soil with light, but havent gotten a single harvest yet. Ambushed a couple muffalo which has helped keep me afloat. Randy has been incredibly nice so far, I feel like he's watching his 5 year old brother play. "Oh kiddo, you don't know farming ... here's a crash pod of potatoes. And two convoys who give you food. And the raids will be one guy with a club."

The main problem I'm hitting is I've run out of wood. A big fire cleared out all the forest within 3 screens of me, and I can't keep up with the wood fuel generator. This means my AC/freezer rooms are down, which means people are starting to get heat stroke, and my food is going bad. I thought I had it covered when I built a wind turbine and connected the power, but the freezer room hasn't turned back on yet.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Loel posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out growing. Ive got a field of corn on good soil with light, but havent gotten a single harvest yet.

Rice grows in a quarter of the time compared corn, which makes it a better option for the early game when you haven't built up stock.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Loel posted:

The main problem I'm hitting is I've run out of wood. A big fire cleared out all the forest within 3 screens of me, and I can't keep up with the wood fuel generator. This means my AC/freezer rooms are down, which means people are starting to get heat stroke, and my food is going bad. I thought I had it covered when I built a wind turbine and connected the power, but the freezer room hasn't turned back on yet.

Your right side wind turbine isn't on the grid, add a couple conduits to connect it. If you're unsure if you have enough capacity on a grid, when you click on a building that uses power it'll tell you the capacity of the grid it's connected to.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Bryter posted:

Rice grows in a quarter of the time compared corn, which makes it a better option for the early game when you haven't built up stock.

Also, since you're in a heat wave the corn will have stopped growing. Plants either slow or stop growth when the temperature is outside their comfort zone. It will show you the current penalty if you click on the crops.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nalesh posted:

Is there a mod that lets me have a sneak peek at what's beyond some rocks? like a ground scanner or something.

I don't think so, but you can go into your game options, activate dev mode, click on the fourth dev mode icon, and disable fog (it's in the bottom left). That'll reveal everything.

If you just want a peek, do that, and then turn fog back on after you've looked.

E: Fourth icon, not third...

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 1, 2019

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I abandoned my new game in favor of an old save of a previous colony before they flew off on the ship. I have 4 pawns completely decked out in advanced bionics and I'm having a blast fending off 40+ raids with so few people.

One pawn is rocking double Power Arms and his melee DPS is sickening, so I hide him up front, then bait with snipers and have melee guy savage them from the back.

It's a little stale as far as building and things go, but I'm sending them out on all the Realistic Ruins I can find, and those are really awesome.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

isndl posted:

He's trying to lead the target to account for travel time, targeting the pawn directly means it's a whiff when the mortar lands where the pawn used to be as they walk towards your base.

Yeah, it's like 6 or 7 seconds from mortar fire to the shell impacting. If I targeted pawns, I'd not get hits on the clustered groups. When they start going double file down the hallway though, that's when I can target the front pawn... though being behind walls means even fewer good hit spots.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I could swear that the game accounts for shell travel time, but it's been a while since I used mortars right enough.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

There's a MineCo Scanner mod that you set up and it scans in an expanding radius to see if there are resource pockets, but it doesn't scan for caves or anything like that last I checked. I haven't used it in a while since I foudn it a bit tedious to be constantly setting up, waiting for the scan radius to max out, and tearing down.

Pharnakes posted:

I could swear that the game accounts for shell travel time, but it's been a while since I used mortars right enough.

Not in my experience, though I usually get extremely frustrated with the miss radius so I don't use mortars against moving targets anyway. I'll counter-battery a siege, or a "preparing" raid, but between leading the target and the forced miss radius, the cost just isn't worth it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Using Numbers I can see that my colonist's immunity gain speed is 117% but his immunity is dropping further behind his infection, what gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Honestly it might, but any travel time correction is ruined due to pawns being less accurate with a mortar than a loving toddler.