Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I fully admit the whole WaPo part of the story lost me and could be missing a key part of the story that I'm confused on. I did see the reports that the DOJ pressured the SCO and while I think that's certainly a meaningful and troubling aspect of the story I'm not sure it actually speaks to the question of Buzzfeed's reporting. Unless we're assuming the SCO lied as a result of the DOJ pressure to undermine Buzzfeed. Its obviously a problem that DOJ applied that pressure at all, and maybe that the SCO responded in any way (although that seems tough to judge not knowing the details of what's true and not). But assuming the SCO was making an honest (if vague and solicited) statement it still leaves us in the same place RE: Buzzfeed and the original story.

I'm not sure I'm willing to take the step that "since many of the people criticizing Buzzfeed were doing so in bad faith and since the Trump Admin was obviously pushing to discredit Buzzfeed it means that Buzzfeed gains credibility in response."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I fully admit the whole WaPo part of the story lost me and could be missing a key part of the story that I'm confused on. I did see the reports that the DOJ pressured the SCO and while I think that's certainly a meaningful and troubling aspect of the story I'm not sure it actually speaks to the question of Buzzfeed's reporting. Unless we're assuming the SCO lied as a result of the DOJ pressure to undermine Buzzfeed. Its obviously a problem that DOJ applied that pressure at all, and maybe that the SCO responded in any way (although that seems tough to judge not knowing the details of what's true and not). But assuming the SCO was making an honest (if vague and solicited) statement it still leaves us in the same place RE: Buzzfeed and the original story.

I'm not sure I'm willing to take the step that "since many of the people criticizing Buzzfeed were doing so in bad faith and since the Trump Admin was obviously pushing to discredit Buzzfeed it means that Buzzfeed gains credibility in response."

The problem is that the SCO's response wasn't just vague, it was vague to the point of being meaningless -- they object, not to any specific statements or documents, but to the "description" of statements and the "characterization" of documents, neither of which amount to points of fact. It was initially viewed, justifiably under the circumstances, as a direct and unprecedented repudiation of the Buzzfeed story, mostly because the SCO never responds to anything.

But it later turned out that the SCO had not initially intended to respond to this until provoked by internal DOJ prodding, which was couple with extremely heavy and, in retrospect, now suspect characterization of the SCO response filtered through the Wapo by DOJ sources. To quote:

quote:

The Post reported that with the Department of Justice, which oversees Mueller’s investigation, “the statement was viewed as a huge step, and one that would have been taken only if the special counsel’s office viewed the story as almost entirely incorrect. The special counsel’s office seemed to be disputing every aspect of the story that addressed comments or evidence given to its investigators.”

Which sounds bold and impressive but is a lot less impressive when you later learn that the SCO response being characterized was solicited by the same outside-the-SCO sources leaking to the Wapo.

Once you take away the impact of it coming directly from the always silent SCO, the actual statement from Mueller -- "BuzzFeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen’s Congressional testimony are not accurate,” is ambiguous as fuuuuuuck. If that had come from Trump's team, we'd be tearing it apart.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess, and maybe I'm just completely wrong in this regard, I've been taking this as soon as the SCO statement came out Buzzfeed started walking back their claims/implications that there was direct evidence linking Trump to Cohen's perjury and started refocusing the reporting on proving that Cohen lied at all and that the Moscow project was more than they've admitted. And maybe that's a misreading that I formed from the SCO and/or my own suspicions from the original article but while the DOJ/WaPo stuff is certainly a matter of concern it doesn't seem to actually add credibility to Buzzfeed's piece as people seem to be suggesting. Not to mention that they're still out there on their own with the story.

I mean, its definitely a think we probably have to just wait and see how it all plays out since Buzzfeed isn't officially backing off. But I guess I'm reacting to the people who seem to feel like Buzzfeed is "winning" this in some way.

Which I understand probably comes from a broader dissatisfaction with the way some mainstream media has handled other stories like the Covington Catholic thing. But still doesn't strike me as terribly helpful as I don't much care for "one side is bad so the other side must be good" thinking.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

But it later turned out that the SCO had not initially intended to respond to this until provoked by internal DOJ prodding,

Is there evidence of all of this aside from Rosenstein apparently asking? ie, could the SCO been planning on responding regardless of Rosenstein?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:crossarms:
https://twitter.com/PeterWelch/status/1087829080316301313

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol, Trump's could never have pulled off a building like this.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/azeenghorayshi/here-are-the-trump-moscow-plans

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

We now live in a world were we have to admire people for admitting they messed up, no matter how dumb their original take was.

https://twitter.com/PeterWelch/status/1087857790901735426

"Admire" is probably too strong a word.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

He was obviously talking about wage labor. Dumb issue.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Everyone backing off on being to hard on this kid because we didn't don't know the full story is bullshit. Him and his friends put on MAGA hats then went out and hosed around with protesters. Same thing as if he'd been just silently standing there in a Nazi uniform.

gently caress him and gently caress everyone for backtracking like their doing now because some people had the audacity to say some bad word to the racists that hurt their feelings.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Everyone backing off on being to hard on this kid because we didn't don't know the full story is bullshit. Him and his friends put on MAGA hats then went out and hosed around with protesters. Same thing as if he'd been just silently standing there in a Nazi uniform.

gently caress him and gently caress everyone for backtracking like their doing now because some people had the audacity to say some bad word to the racists that hurt their feelings.

There is a literal grift campaign from the kids parents who have connections to the national GOP. They received (bought) CNN and NBC spots for a reason.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nonsense posted:

There is a literal grift campaign from the kids parents who have connections to the national GOP. They received (bought) CNN and NBC spots for a reason.

Do you have a source that spells this all out? Not doubting, just looking for something I can share.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey, another Incel got caught planning to do a mass shooting.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1088122870981713925

quote:

“If his $5.7 billion is about border security, then we see ourselves fulfilling that request, only doing it through what I like to call using a ‘smart wall’,” Clyburn said.

Aw hell yeah, who could be against a "smart wall?" It has "smart" right in the name and everything.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Good gambit. When Trump inevitably refuses, it will reinforce the notion that he doesn't give two shits about actual border security. The wall is about him and his ego, full stop--it sure as hell will do nothing to curb border crossings.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
It's utter garbage, because it concedes that Trump's racism monument has a valid reason for it's existence and only quibbles about implementation details. But yes, Republicans won't accept the offer because it's also an obvious prelude to fully caving.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mierenneuker posted:

We now live in a world were we have to admire people for admitting they messed up, no matter how dumb their original take was.

https://twitter.com/PeterWelch/status/1087857790901735426

"Admire" is probably too strong a word.

I don't think "until 1866 it was legal to make people work for free" is a good description of slavery.

mystes
May 31, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I don't think "until 1866 it was legal to make people work for free" is a good description of slavery.
Yes if someone had proposed that as a description of what slavery was that would have been dumb. That doesn't meant that "Never in the history of this country has it been legal to make people work for free" is accurate.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1088138726545461248

Trump recognizing Juan Guaido is honestly a very surprising move given how much he was willing to fellate Maduro.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

James Garfield posted:

Not least of all because it remained legal after 1866.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kith posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1088138726545461248

Trump recognizing Juan Guaido is honestly a very surprising move given how much he was willing to fellate Maduro.

This definitely won't end up like the Chavez fiasco where Maduro can leverage tensions with the U.S. to make himself seem heroic and put egg on the U.S. government's face when he stays in power.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
god the CIA is amazing.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Gotta commend his cleary-eyed vision and no nonsense wording of his nonsense

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Well that explains Trump specifically mentioning venezuelans a few days ago and saying that he has plans for something for them.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://twitter.com/markmobility/status/1088197844257902593?s=21

Heh.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/StratSentinel/status/1088205259971932160

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Do you have a link to the actual cnn article saying this?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

YodaTFK posted:

Do you have a link to the actual cnn article saying this?

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1088240538380390400

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It falls upon the state department I suppose to make an edict.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

holy poo poo what a loving dumbass administration we have

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I suppose Trump's hoping that Maduro takes them hostage so he can use it as pretext for war?

Not sure how well that's going to fly with the country when he basically dared them to do it and they're busy hating him over the shutdown. It's obviously a selfmade distraction.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1088242909290344449

This bodes well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I suppose Trump's hoping that Maduro takes them hostage so he can use it as pretext for war?

Not sure how well that's going to fly with the country when he basically dared them to do it and they're busy hating him over the shutdown. It's obviously a selfmade distraction.

thats too crafty/clever for trump. i could see bolton saying that poo poo though.

do we even have an ambassador there?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1088200188089565184

are third-degree burns newsworthy

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
The question isn't whether AOC is here. It whether one of you dudes is feeding her stuff. Signal boosting is real.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, how many days before we see consulate officials killed and #but_her_emails trending?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

BlueBlazer posted:

The question isn't whether AOC is here. It whether one of you dudes is feeding her stuff. Signal boosting is real.

A future Goonmander-In-Chief?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

blah blah the devil can quote scripture.

*worships a piss drinker that says Two Corn Thigh Ins*

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

mycomancy posted:

A future Goonmander-In-Chief?

Imagine 4 Green New Deals at the edge of a cliff

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1088327495391289344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

not that there's much you can do what with a baby in the wh, but i'm worried this will have the same effect as the last time the rwm mocked trump for caving (which resulted in the current shutdown)

he comes out looking like a complete loser