Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1088086228547842049

quote:

“Last year, in 2017, 72,000 Americans OD’d on drugs. In 2018, more people than that are OD-ing on drugs, have OD’d on drugs, and today, incidentally, we are trying to legalize another addictive narcotic, which is perhaps the stupidest thing anybody has ever done," he said, according to WBNG.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

He’s not going to win and he should do something useful instead of wasting a bunch of peoples’ time and money on a pointless presidential campaign.

Also I do not care for his “I know how to win in a red state” BS when he’s the mayor of South Bend. That would be like the mayor of Austin saying he knew how to win Texas.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

It's both. Requiring a supermajority to pass anything is undemocratic.

But it's not really a requirement, the Senate can amend it's own rules and get rid of the filibuster with 51 votes at the start of the next session, they won't need the President's permission and that may even be counterproductive. Democrats should get rid of it if they actually care about their legislative priorities when they control the chamber but right now the filibuster is just another Senate rule enforced by the other party.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Badger of Basra posted:

He’s not going to win and he should do something useful instead of wasting a bunch of peoples’ time and money on a pointless presidential campaign.

Also I do not care for his “I know how to win in a red state” BS when he’s the mayor of South Bend. That would be like the mayor of Austin saying he knew how to win Texas.

I very much agree with this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

100's of millions dead due to Karl Marx's invention: legal weed

selec
Sep 6, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

100's of millions dead due to Karl Marx's invention: legal weed

The hilarious thing about this guy is he’s so rich he could buy the best experts, the best polls, and he’d see just from a political angle how stupid it is to say poo poo like this in 2019.

But because he’s paid people to blow smoke up his rear end instead, he just goes with his old spiel because that’s what the yes-men tell him to do. What a loving moron.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/rl_miller/status/1088119873463451649?s=21

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

DynamicSloth posted:

The question of ending the filibuster doesn't really seem like a matter of principle but a matter of tactics, and the correct tactical answer really depends on the seat count.

As of today there is no reason to prioritize ending the filibuster.

Agreed. Especially considering we won’t have the votes to enact progressive legislation even if we took the senate and abolished the filibuster.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

selec posted:

The hilarious thing about this guy is he’s so rich he could buy the best experts, the best polls, and he’d see just from a political angle how stupid it is to say poo poo like this in 2019.

But because he’s paid people to blow smoke up his rear end instead, he just goes with his old spiel because that’s what the yes-men tell him to do. What a loving moron.

If those "experts" are so great why aren't they rich like him

Obviously rich people are the best people

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Increasingly convinced a third party Bloomberg run actually BENEFITS the Democrats.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Z. Autobahn posted:

Increasingly convinced a third party Bloomberg run actually BENEFITS the Democrats.

If Bernie ever won the nomination, Bloomberg or Schultz or someone like that will definitely run as a 3rd party.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

From Buttgiegs wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Buttigieg

quote:

In 2012, Buttigieg demoted the first African American police chief of South Bend, Darryl Boykins, and fired police communications director Karen DePaepe, following the revelation of taped telephone conversations between four white South Bend police officers and the spouse of an officer. The tapes were alleged to contain "racist content".[41] Buttigieg elected to settle suits brought by Boykins, DePaepe, and the four officers out of court.[42] The Common Council of South Bend sued the Mayor to release at least some of the tapes; this suit is still pending in state court.[43]

In 2013, Buttigieg's replacement for Boykins as police chief, Ron Teachman, was subject to investigation for allegedly not supporting a fellow police officer during a nearby fight. Local advocates expressed concern that the officer Teachman allegedly failed to assist was African American. After a report by the Indiana State Police on the incident, Buttigieg concluded there was no discipline required of Chief Teachman, a decision that caused the head of the Board of Public Safety, Pat Cottrell, to resign in protest.[44] Cottrell and the officer Chief Teachman allegedly failed to assist, Lt. David Newton, requested that the report be released, which Mayor Buttigieg declined to do.[45]

In 2016, Buttigieg drew national attention for the city's handling of an excessive force and civil rights case involving three South Bend police officers and an innocent African American teen, DeShawn Franklin. Suspected of a crime he did not commit, Franklin's home was entered at night by the officers without a warrant, and he was punched and Tasered during the encounter, but was ultimately not arrested. Buttigieg's administration offered the teen's family $15,000 in settlement. The family rejected this offer, and the case went to trial. A jury found that the officers had violated Franklin's civil rights, and he was awarded $18.[46][47][48]

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:yikes: Goddamn.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Warren dragged Biden in a book she wrote a few years back

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1088077111133392901?s=21

quote:

The point is not to discredit other worthy causes or to pit one disadvantaged group against another nor would we suggest that battered women deserve less help or that subsidized day care is unimportant. The point is simply that family economics should not be left to giant corporations and paid lobbyists, and senators like Joe Biden should not be allowed to sell out women in the morning and be heralded as their friend in the evening. Middle-class women need help, and right now no one is putting their economic interests first.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 23, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I can't wait to see Warren on the same debate stage as Biden slamming him for the bankruptcy bill.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

mcmagic posted:

If Bernie ever won the nomination, Bloomberg or Schultz or someone like that will definitely run as a 3rd party.

No, I know, but I'm saying I think (given the way they're talking), they'd appeal as much, if not moreso, to centrist/NeverTrump Republicans as they would to centrist Democrats. Like, the die-hard Hillary folk I know would still grudgingly pull the lever for Bernie, but my NeverTrump father-in-law, who couldn't bring himself to vote for Hillary, would be downright enthusiastic about voting for Bloomberg.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Buttigieg's best play is to get his name shortened to Butt and hope people vote for him just out of novelty.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mantis42 posted:

Buttigieg's best play is to get his name shortened to Butt and hope people vote for him just out of novelty.

Or change the spelling to “Buddhajudge”, that oughta turn some heads.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think Buttguy is a good example of someone who would be qualified to be president if they could successfully run the campaign and win. Running as an insurgent and winning requires some combination of leadership, management, personal communication, and political acumen.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/RuairiWood/status/1088105834704445441

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hey, they probably met at that Martha's Vineyard meeting!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Nothing ensures us that Harris will lose more than that

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

yea i basically cheered when i saw that

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Badger of Basra posted:

No I think the plan is just "M4A will be better and cheaper therefore people will move off private insurance." This is not "secretly planning to strangle it via regulation" unless you're a Republican political consultant.

People are going to freak out if you forcibly move them off the insurance they get through work not because they love their insurance or the insurance company but because they're afraid of change and because they will be bombarded with political ads trying to scare them about it. Y'all have been talking a lot about how incrementalists are bad at messaging or whatever but we need to have an answer for people with this concern other than "it'll be great, you'll see!"

I feel like people have not fully internalized the fact that any attempt to improve the lives of the majority of Americans is going to generate a massive freakout. The plan can't be to avoid the freak out.

The Democrats are paying a steep price for having deferred all these questions so long. Decades of concessions have left a much deeper hole to climb out of but the climbing has to start somewhere. This notion you can improve some people's lives without engendering a massive social conflict that is going to be massively controversial is ludicrous.

theblackw0lf posted:

I don't know that was just off the top of my head. There's probably a better way to respond. Although I do think using a person's arguments against them is effective. But that just seems more desirable than starting in a position where you've weakened your chances of the plan getting passed.

I understand that you have this intuition but I'm sad to say that it's incorrect. In the context of a televised leadership debate 'using a person's arguments against them' is not effective and the entire notion that you go to a debate like that to actually convince the other side is incredibly wrongheaded.

This entire strategic calculation that you will ease passage of the bill by convincingly eviscerating the Republican talking points during a live debate is very dangerous and needs to be abandoned. The focus needs to be on building up the pro-M4A side, identifying allies, creating networks, scoring small victories to build momentum and in particular investing in turning out more voters during elections. You don't get any closer to that goal by intentionally watering down your rhetoric and objectives and making preemptive concessions.

Politics is all about conflict. Time for Democrats to embrace that the same way Republicans have.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

yea i basically cheered when i saw that

AsInHowe posted:

....Hillary won the primary you guys.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Z. Autobahn posted:

lol

Not because of her communication strategy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yeah but it wasn’t on the backs of her social media campaign.

efb

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Z. Autobahn posted:

Not cause of her communications manager lmao

e: lol that was quick

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Helsing posted:

lol

Not because of her communication strategy.

But what about her Communion strategy?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pokemon go to the polls is a passable grandma joke and everyone on Twitter flipped out about because they already didn’t like her imo

Ashley Feinberg agrees with me

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Helsing posted:

I feel like people have not fully internalized the fact that any attempt to improve the lives of the majority of Americans is going to generate a massive freakout. The plan can't be to avoid the freak out.

The Democrats are paying a steep price for having deferred all these questions so long. Decades of concessions have left a much deeper hole to climb out of but the climbing has to start somewhere. This notion you can improve some people's lives without engendering a massive social conflict that is going to be massively controversial is ludicrous.

I understand that you have this intuition but I'm sad to say that it's incorrect. In the context of a televised leadership debate 'using a person's arguments against them' is not effective and the entire notion that you go to a debate like that to actually convince the other side is incredibly wrongheaded.

This entire strategic calculation that you will ease passage of the bill by convincingly eviscerating the Republican talking points during a live debate is very dangerous and needs to be abandoned. The focus needs to be on building up the pro-M4A side, identifying allies, creating networks, scoring small victories to build momentum and in particular investing in turning out more voters during elections. You don't get any closer to that goal by intentionally watering down your rhetoric and objectives and making preemptive concessions.

Politics is all about conflict. Time for Democrats to embrace that the same way Republicans have.

You can run on a "I will cut taxes on you, raise taxes on them and give you free healthcare." to avoid the freakout. Avoid this false "we need a broad base of taxation and sacrifice" bullshit. Reduce taxes on the poor, increase taxes on the rich and use the difference to provide healthcare to everyone.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Helsing posted:

Not going to respond directly here because I agree with others that this probably is better to discuss in another thread so we don't derail this thread too much, but I might take this up in the health care thread.

I will say though that based on comments from people (especially Main Painframe) I'm reconsidering my views. Which is why I do want to continue this discussion (but in another thread). To get advice from others.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jack2142 posted:

But what about her Communion strategy?

I would vote for a Catholic candidate who ran on banning Catholicism, for sure.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Sure lol I don't mean it's a GOOD thing... just that it's weird to leap to "so she's for sure gonna lose"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

karthun posted:

You can run on a "I will cut taxes on you, raise taxes on them and give you free healthcare." to avoid the freakout. Avoid this false "we need a broad base of taxation and sacrifice" bullshit. Reduce taxes on the poor, increase taxes on the rich and use the difference to provide healthcare to everyone.

That's... Sanders' plan for M4A.

A few hundo in payroll taxes per year vs. $12,000 in premiums + out-of-pocket costs for insurance are gonna be preferred by like 100 percent of people making $30,000/year--but only if Dems point out the cost savings instead of yapping about "tax increases."

eta: A payroll tax by workers would prolly fit into your "broad base of taxation" bullshit but it'd be far preferable to the vast majority of workers to pay that tax than to face ever-increasing insurance + out-of-pocket costs.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 23, 2019

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

But in a broader sense, this issue also is part of something I brought up in the uspol thread: Dems need to move away from tax cuts/stasis for "middle-class" people making $250,000/year.

Like sure, we need to tax richies more, but we also need to raise the social security pay-in from its current $116k, and we need to tax cap gains as ordinary income.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Willa Rogers posted:

That's... Sanders' plan for M4A.

A few hundo in payroll taxes per year vs. $12,000 in premiums + out-of-pocket costs for insurance are gonna be preferred by like 100 percent of people making $30,000/year--but only if Dems point out the cost savings instead of yapping about "tax increases."

eta: A payroll tax by workers would prolly fit into your "broad base of taxation" bullshit but it'd be far preferable to the vast majority of workers to pay that tax than to face ever-increasing insurance + out-of-pocket costs.

Raising taxes on the poor via a 2% payroll tax is not cutting taxes on the poor. The income that would be provided by a 2% income tax in people who make less then 30k a year would only raise 17 billion dollars. That is a rounding error for the cost of M4A so why the gently caress are you so insistent on taxing the poor when we could give them money?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, why the gently caress.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

karthun posted:

Run on not taxing basically half of the country, at all. At least half. Wealth inequality is so loving bad now it's not just good politics, it's good policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

karthun posted:

You can run on a "I will cut taxes on you, raise taxes on them and give you free healthcare." to avoid the freakout.

No you can't.

There is going to be a freakout when you dramatically change something like healthcare. It's unavoidable. The Republicans have huge parts of the population locked into their own closed media environment and cultural environment and there's literally no way to prevent feverish opposition to any expansion of government in America. Any strategy that claims to have a magical rhetorical or policy solution that somehow will make it non-controversial to redistribute wealth in America is selling a bill of false goods.

The point is to actually win the resulting conflict by entering it on the right terms, not to fool yourself into thinking you can avoid it. And the main way to win is through organizing and movement building, not triangulation.

quote:

Avoid this false "we need a broad base of taxation and sacrifice" bullshit. Reduce taxes on the poor, increase taxes on the rich and use the difference to provide healthcare to everyone.

I'm not advocating raising taxes on the poor, I completely agree the goal should be to redistribute the wealth of the rich. My issue here is that you're crazy if you think that isn't going to be extremely controversial.

You seem to expect that people are actually going to debate these policies rationally and form their opinions based on calculated self interest but in practice a lot of people are going to simply revert to whatever the appropriate attitude for their political tribe is supposed to be. It's more important to focus on building up your ability to turn out your own supporters than it is to strategize about how to assuage the fears of the people who are never ever going to vote for you in large numbers anyway.