Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I agree that American Dad has had a fair share of brilliant moments, but for every good episode there's like three where:
- Roger has created a new persona
- Roger says he will use this persona to help a member of the family
- Surprise! He's actually screwing over the family!
- At the last minute he repents and/or they forgive him anyway because he is "family."

Seriously, this is like 1/3rd of all American Dad episodes. My guess is they wouldn't have relied on this crutch so often if they didn't have to churn out as many episodes per season. I believe the show had the ability to be one of the true greats, but instead mostly stayed in their box either as a conscious decision to keep it low-effort or as mandated by the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I agree that American Dad has had a fair share of brilliant moments, but for every good episode there's like three where:
- At the last minute he repents and/or they forgive him anyway because he is "family."

Seriously, this is like 1/3rd of all American Dad episodes. My guess is they wouldn't have relied on this crutch so often if they didn't have to churn out as many episodes per season. I believe the show had the ability to be one of the true greats, but instead mostly stayed in their box either as a conscious decision to keep it low-effort or as mandated by the network.

All those episodes rule

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You’re not wrong but those episodes are still funny so it doesn’t bother me.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I still watch Family Guy and think its funny.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like it when the baby does things.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah what the poo poo? Planet of the Apes: The Musical

Stop The Planet Of The Apes - I Want To Get Off!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Applewhite posted:

Is American Dad still good? It was still going really strong the last time I watched but I sort of fell out of touch with it at around the point Jeff was trying to get back from space.

yes, absolutely. some of my favorite episodes of the entire series (shell game, oretron trail, census of the lambs, death by dinner party) are from the most recent season, but one of my least favorite episodes (mean francine) also is. this is excellent for the 15th season of any television show.

Seriously, this is like 1/3rd of all American Dad episodes.

this is true, however 1) it's still hilarious like 99.9% of the time, and 2) the episode where he volunteers to act as a puppet for steve's talent show but the face paint ends up killing or attempting to kill a bunch of people is loving great

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Planet of the Apes bit works because its so short and absurd. Musical episodes of TV shows are worst than clip shows.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

The Planet of the Apes bit works because its so short and absurd. Musical episodes of TV shows are worst than clip shows.

The characters are also AT a musical, so it's funny if it sucks because musicals suck. The Streetcar Named Desire episode is also funny.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
theres nothing worse than clip shows, actually

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

The characters are also AT a musical, so it's funny if it sucks because musicals suck. The Streetcar Named Desire episode is also funny.

The joke there isn't that musicals are bad, it's that those movies aren't suited to being made into musicals. Musicals are in fact very good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sweet geek swag posted:

The joke there isn't that musicals are bad, it's that those movies aren't suited to being made into musicals. Musicals are in fact very good.

That's what I thought the joke about Paint Your Wagon was, and then I read more about it and :aaaaa:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AD is great because they'll just roll with an absurd concept.

Littlest Shop of Horrors but with a hot tub? Yeah, alright. Boy Witches? Go for it.

Hulu added a couple of the TBS seasons when I wasn't looking and it's as good as ever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think someone with clout at TBS hates the show though. Like literally loathes it. I'm not sure even Fox has worse scheduling.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Detective No. 27 posted:

AD is great because they'll just roll with an absurd concept.

Littlest Shop of Horrors but with a hot tub? Yeah, alright. Boy Witches? Go for it.

Hulu added a couple of the TBS seasons when I wasn't looking and it's as good as ever.

people have also been talking about how musical episodes are terrible, but the hot tub episode was musical and it was amazing (hot tuuuuuuub o' loooooooove...)

also, the episode where josh groban sings at an event to publicize steve's fake kidnapping & fake rescue

edit:

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think someone with clout at TBS hates the show though. Like literally loathes it. I'm not sure even Fox has worse scheduling.

seriously the show is so loving funny and the season starts in february and it airs on a loving monday night, WHY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

people have also been talking about how musical episodes are terrible, but the hot tub episode was musical and it was amazing (hot tuuuuuuub o' loooooooove...)

also, the episode where josh groban sings at an event to publicize steve's fake kidnapping & fake rescue

I appreciate that they will come up with any excuse to make Steve sing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We are 180 pages in but has anyone stated that the lowest point of the Simpsons is every successive second that the show airs?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Detective No. 27 posted:

I appreciate that they will come up with any excuse to make Steve sing.

going with the coooolonel, gonna be safe with the coooolonel

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

We are 180 pages in but has anyone stated that the lowest point of the Simpsons is every successive second that the show airs?

I'm pretty sure someone made that exact point 90 pages ago.

Since then, the bar has been so lowered that it can be tweets from the current showrunners.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Detective No. 27 posted:

Since then, the bar has been so lowered that it can be tweets from the current showrunners.

Hmm...has anyone suggested that this thread is the lowest point?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

American Dad is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYbv0xL5QXY

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The musical episode of Fringe was also really good, and I liked Carrie the musical in Riverdale.

I guess I just enjoy it when stupid ridiculous shows commit to being incredibly stupid and ridiculous, with daft songs

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

It also helps that the song they were parodying in that Planet of The Apes thing was actually pretty bangin'.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 24, 2019

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Mr Interweb posted:

It also helps that the song they were parodying in that Planet of The Apes thing was actually pretty bangin'.

I had never heard the song Rock Me Amadeus when I was younger, so that reference was lost on me, but the joke still works because it is a pretty weird movie to make a musical out of, but it works. The difference in simpsons today is the jokes don't work on multiple levels like that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think the thread should just be renamed to "The Simpsons: Stop! Stop! It's Already Dead!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also the joke of the absurdity of something like Planet of the Apes The Musical is lost since Broadway does that unironically now.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqjyzEnbtuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMX11UEhWpA

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also the joke of the absurdity of something like Planet of the Apes The Musical is lost since Broadway does that unironically now.

toxic avenger: the musical is a masterpiece

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:stonk:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Miss posted:

toxic avenger: the musical is a masterpiece

Same but the movie

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TheMostFrench posted:

I had never heard the song Rock Me Amadeus when I was younger

Same actually. I heard it for the first time in in 2014 in that one movie with Jesse Eisenberg or whatever his name is.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Same but the movie

That movie also had a pretty sweet theme song as well.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh I had forgotten about this

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

I hate it how the voice actors EMPHASIZE parts that are meant to be FUNNNY because how else would you know?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Is lemon party even that well known

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nonviolent J posted:

Is lemon party even that well known

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bvHlb2Fe8

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't hear Rock Me Amadeus until a couple of months ago and I was like "Ohhh!"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Is everyone in this thread 15 or something?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm 27. Still 6 years younger than that song.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Atlas Hugged posted:

a 15 year old would likely be born in the year 2003, the end of which would have seen the debut of the simpson's 15th season, which includes such memorable episodes such as the one where ms krabappel cancels her wedding to principal skinner and rebounds with comic book guy, and one where artie ziff loses all of his money in an internet company and comes to live with the simpsons, where he and lisa bond over jonathan franzen's the corrections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm 34 but I only owned a radio for 4 months in high school. :shrug: