Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Hi Thread - just so I can educate myself and ask actual Venezuelans - the protests happening right now are organic right?

I ask because posters in the Trump thread tell me it is all a US backed-Coup and Maduro is cool and good so I wanted to get a second opinion.

People in the Trump thread reflexively take the opposite of whatever Trump's position is.

Which, to be fair, is a sound strategy about 98% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's the C-SPAM one. Holy poo poo it's bad.

The USPOL thread (where I post) also has posters having a meltdown over the protests.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Hi Thread - just so I can educate myself and ask actual Venezuelans - the protests happening right now are organic right?

I ask because posters in the Trump thread tell me it is all a US backed-Coup and Maduro is cool and good so I wanted to get a second opinion.

Yes, they were planned and organized by the Venezuelan political opposition. They were scheduled about a week ago to take place today, which is a pretty significant day in Venezuelan history because it's the day that we kicked out a dictator in 1958.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im a leftist too and Maduro is bad, to the best of my knowledge. But if this causes Trump to intervene in Venezuela (possibly with the help of Bolsonaro), I think this is going to end badly

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Chuck Boone posted:

Yes, they were planned and organized by the Venezuelan political opposition. They were scheduled about a week ago to take place today, which is a pretty significant day in Venezuelan history because it's the day that we kicked out a dictator in 1958.

To clarify, there are the ones being organised by the opposition but the original kick off happened somewhat organically in poor areas as people got sick of seeing their children starve

I guess not wanting to see your friends and family die of preventable causes while the 2% enriches itself and loots the country is reactionary now I don’t really know

e: Or a CIA plot. No other options

Furia fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 23, 2019

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im a leftist too and Maduro is bad, to the best of my knowledge. But if this causes Trump to intervene in Venezuela (possibly with the help of Bolsonaro), I think this is going to end badly

It's one thing to force free elections and another to actually declare someone of your choosing is the country's leader.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

This has to be a mistranslation. :thunk:

Christ, I thought so too and clicked the link and watched it before I even got to your post. It's only 33 seconds and it's a video of Maduro saying it. It makes his Little Bird Chavez story sound like it's grounded in reality.

E: Wow that was a lot of posts in this thread in between. The quote is referring to Maduro saying in a speech to the army "Be assured that everything will turn out well and that we will come out stronger and wiser from this conjuncture. A handful of immature improvisers can not damage the republican life of Venezuela. Be assured. I tell you with certainty. I went to the future and I returned and saw that everything goes well and that the civic-military union guarantees peace and happiness to our people"

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 23, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mila kunis posted:

It's one thing to force free elections and another to actually declare someone of your choosing is the country's leader.

Interim, and the opposition in parliament are the last people to win a free election in Venezuela (which actually understates their win since the election was held in conditions unfavorable to them due to regime interference). If they take power and don't hold elections, obviously they'll be illegitimate then too, but right now they're the closest thing to legitimate the country has.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

mila kunis posted:

fnox posted:

It's not that he won the election. It's that the election Maduro used for his re-election is spurious at best. They're basically saying he abandoned his post by refusing to hold free elections, and according to the constitution, in this scenario the President of the National Assembly becomes president and must call for new elections. Juan Guaido is the current President of the National Assembly, three people have held that post before: Henry Ramos Allup, Julio Borges, Omar Barboza.

The parliamentary elections of 2015 are the last elections to be considered to have been fair and transparent by most international observers, therefore the claim to power of the National Assembly is more legitimate than Maduro's, who is now taking possession of the presidency after last year's presidential elections, in which he had no actual opponents.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Organic protests resulting in an opposition leader claiming to be the rightful government that the US and its client states all move in lockstep to recognize, certainly there is no precedent of that happening before.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

OK so my understanding of the situation is this: The National Assembly (basically Parliament/Congress) is the only branch of government left that was democratically elected. They voted that their leader, Juan Guaido (whose position is similar to Speaker of the House) to be the new interim president, as Maduro's "re-election" was rigged and he has no claim to legitimacy in democratic terms. While the US and other governments have denied Maduro's legitimacy prior to today's events, Guaido was already the head of the National Assembly and he was voted into position of interim president before anyone outside of the country recognized him.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
where can I read about the last Venezuelan elections? Were international observers allowed?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Brazil and Paraguay also recognized Juan Guaidó

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Organic protests resulting in an opposition leader claiming to be the rightful government that the US and its client states all move in lockstep to recognize, certainly there is no precedent of that happening before.

I guess poor people should loving starve then

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

OK so my understanding of the situation is this: The National Assembly (basically Parliament/Congress) is the only branch of government left that was democratically elected. They voted that their leader, Juan Guaido (whose position is similar to Speaker of the House) to be the new interim president, as Maduro's "re-election" was rigged and he has no claim to legitimacy in democratic terms. While the US and other governments have denied Maduro's legitimacy prior to today's events, Guaido was already the head of the National Assembly and he was voted into position of interim president before anyone outside of the country recognized him.

Just because tankies will bring it up, he only formally announced he was taking the interim presidency today, if I am remembering correctly Brazil’s new right wing rear end in a top hat president recognized him a few days ago.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Oh is that what happened in Ukraine? I thought Yanukovych grabbed a bunch of cash and fled the country

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Flavahbeast posted:

Oh is that what happened in Ukraine? I thought Yanukovych grabbed a bunch of cash and fled the country

He forgot his golden loaves of bread.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It's worth noting that Maduro illegally created and held sham elections for a rival Legislature that he illegally considers to override the actual Legislature.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

freeasinbeer posted:

Just because tankies will bring it up, he only formally announced he was taking the interim presidency today, if I am remembering correctly Brazil’s new right wing rear end in a top hat president recognized him a few days ago.

Yes Bolsonaro did release some kind of statement saying Brazil recognized him as the legitimate government even before he himself declared he was the legitimate government.

If he succeeds here he's supposed to start organizing new elections basically immediately, so if that doesn't happen then I guess we can have a discussion of how much better off the poor were eating out of the garbage under Maduro than they were doing it under Guaido.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Furia posted:

I guess poor people should loving starve then

There are options outside of "maduro starves the poor" and "venezuela must be run by a regime backed by impolite fascists like trump and bolsonaro," such as western countries letting venezuela use its own money to buy food and medicine:

https://twitter.com/fcn_84/status/1087482013114863616?s=20

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Canada has also recognized Guaido, so I'm sure we'll be hearing about Trudeau's fascist agenda for the hemisphere soon.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, what happens now, anyway? I dont suppose Maduro will just accept that and leave

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Given the US’ track record in Latin America and that we are led by Trump and supporting the new fascist government in Brazil, I’m inclined to not co-sign what the Trump Administration is doing here. Not when the main architects of Trump’s foreign policy are Bolton and Miller.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Given the US’ track record in Latin America and that we are led by Trump and supporting the new fascist government in Brazil, I’m inclined to not co-sign what the Trump Administration is doing here. Not when the main architects of Trump’s foreign policy are Bolton and Miller.

Imagine if Nancy Pelosi declared Trump illegitimate and China/Russia moved immediately to recognize the new interim government of the United States as the only legitimate one on twitter.

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, what happens now, anyway? I dont suppose Maduro will just accept that and leave

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1088144777336504324

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Now we find out if anyone in the Venezuelan military gives a poo poo what other countries in the hemisphere think and stops backing Maduro's dictatorship. People are talking about how this risks military dictatorship, but Maduro already brought the military into his regime, so the country's already living under a military dictatorship--the question is just if the military is open to changing that and allowing for some possibility of elections going forward.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I keep trying to get people from CSPAM to come here but they keep saying that all the posters here are poor hating aristocrats.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thread consensus is that he is in the former mall turned into a political prison for the secret police by nightfall.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sinteres posted:

Now we find out if anyone in the Venezuelan military gives a poo poo what other countries in the hemisphere think and stops backing Maduro's dictatorship. People are talking about how this risks military dictatorship, but Maduro already brought the military into his regime, so the country's already living under a military dictatorship--the question is just if the military is open to changing that and allowing for some possibility of elections going forward.

So I guess it boils down to how much control of the military Maduro still has

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Elias_Maluco posted:

The next hours are crucial. If the gov't wants to move against Guaido, it'll cause all kinds of unrest now that he's declared himself president. On the other hand, they don't want him running around attending rallies.

This is an unprecedented situation and, as someone earlier said, "seriouser than normal". It's hard to say what's going to happen more than usual.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

There are options outside of "maduro starves the poor" and "venezuela must be run by a regime backed by impolite fascists like trump and bolsonaro," such as western countries letting venezuela use its own money to buy food and medicine:

https://twitter.com/fcn_84/status/1087482013114863616?s=20

What a childish false dichotomy. Maybe Maduro shouldn't have let billions upon billions be embezzled by his entire government to overseas accounts in the first place? Perhaps, he shouldn't have become a right wing military dictator who looted his entire country? Just a thought, I realize it chafes against your love of crushing the proletariat.

Lightning Knight posted:

You really don't seem well read on this, but it is in the provisions of the valid Hugo Chavez-era constitution that the legislature is empowered to choose who should be the interim executive when the executive violates laws on proper elections. Neither Trump nor Brazil's fascists invented these provisions.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Imagine if Nancy Pelosi declared Trump illegitimate and China/Russia moved immediately to recognize the new interim government of the United States as the only legitimate one on twitter.

Do you understand that your comparison here only works if it was the US or Brazil that heavily supported Maduro before? You've really got to learn to think your bs through.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

In case there's any confusion among people reading, that would be extremely bad.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

Is that supposed to be an argument in favor of Guaido? Because that would be extremely bad.

No, it was a dumb analogy in favor of doing nothing.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I really don't think there's such a thing as a foreign intervention, despite the precedents. I don't think the US care enough. But in the slightest chance, I really hope they gently caress off and stay out of this.

My best wishes to the Venezuelan people, because it seems like today is a day of fate.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sinteres posted:

No, it was a dumb analogy in favor of doing nothing.

It seems to me that doing nothing is the least-bad option though - particularly given the Trump Administration's stated support for regime change in the country. U.S. involvement on any level will not make this situation better.

e: And that includes recognizing Guaido as interim president. What a stupid move.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fishmech posted:

You really don't seem well read on this, but it is in the provisions of the valid Hugo Chavez-era constitution that the legislature is empowered to choose who should be the interim executive when the executive violates laws on proper elections. Neither Trump nor Brazil's fascists invented these provisions.

While that may be true, that doesn’t meant that they are acting in good faith or don’t have ulterior motives.

There doesn’t seem to be an ideal endgame here that doesn’t result in bloodshed, and Trump meddling is unlikely to make things better. If anything he’s undermining the legitimacy of the opposition.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
laffo as if Trump will even remember who Guiado is by dinnertime

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This isn't the Trump thread. You don't need to evaluate everything in terms of the domestic politics of the United States.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

While that may be true, that doesn’t meant that they are acting in good faith or don’t have ulterior motives.

There doesn’t seem to be an ideal endgame here that doesn’t result in bloodshed, and Trump meddling is unlikely to make things better. If anything he’s undermining the legitimacy of the opposition.

This. I can't imagine a better way to galvanize Maduro's supporters than to signal to them that Trump, Bolsonaro, and other fascists support the opposition.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lightning Knight posted:

honestly. probably nothing. the Venezuelan people are out protesting in force and Maduro is a dead man walking at this point and now its just a matter of time until military says gently caress it and backs the other guy and shoots maduro in the head and or he gets dragged behind one of his buses or he flees to some other country. trump doesn't give a gently caress about Venezuela outside being a talking point.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Discendo Vox posted:

This isn't the Trump thread. You don't need to evaluate everything in terms of the domestic politics of the United States.

The American government effectively just co-signed an attempted political coup. While you may wish to argue that they are justified in doing so, it is undeniable now that we have made ourselves involved.