Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Rey's even more of a cargo cult jedi than luke and that's saying a lot

The real punchline here is that the PT were taking kids from their families for life to impart teachings that maybe take a month tops to convey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Slutitution posted:

Too bad Kathleen Kennedy thinks giving her Mary Sue character a love interest would be sexist though. I do like the idea of aliens from another galaxy invading. Give them their own culture, etc. and eventually have the Sith and the Jedi reluctantly join forces to defeat them or something.

Why aliens from another galaxy? Our galaxy is so freaking huge there could be an entire empire that they know nothing about.

Wasn't that part of the plot of the video game? An actual sith empire from the farthest reaches of the galaxy just showing up to gently caress everyone's poo poo up?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

spacetoaster posted:

Why aliens from another galaxy? Our galaxy is so freaking huge there could be an entire empire that they know nothing about.

It emphasises that it's a new, unknown thing that is outside of the context of previous stories.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It emphasises that it's a new, unknown thing that is outside of the context of previous stories.

It also justifies facism.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
did you know that if you take the letters from "sith" and rearrange them it spells something else?

its "tshi"

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
What a waste of perfectly good duckmeat.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barudak posted:

It also justifies facism.

This hot take is even worse than your spelling.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Slutitution posted:

I mean it wasnt the intention of the plot point but it very easily slid into and depending on the writer apparently just became the following straight up: Sheev knew a threat was coming from beyond the galaxy so he had no choice but to rule the entire galaxy and build a war machine to fight this incoming enemy. Not only does this wash sheev's ambitions but it also reinforces a narrative that somehow fascism is an effective force for fighting anything but your own people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Slutitution posted:

Sith happens.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barudak posted:

I mean it wasnt the intention of the plot point but it very easily slid into and depending on the writer apparently just became the following straight up: Sheev knew a threat was coming from beyond the galaxy so he had no choice but to rule the entire galaxy and build a war machine to fight this incoming enemy. Not only does this wash sheev's ambitions but it also reinforces a narrative that somehow fascism is an effective force for fighting anything but your own people.

I guess this bizarre take is unsurprising considering some on this forum believe Pacific Rim is a fascist propaganda film because humanity united to defeat monsters the size of skycrapers from another dimension.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

What if the Slavic hordes really were bent on the destruction of the German Volk? Makes u think

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Slutitution posted:

I guess this bizarre take is unsurprising considering some on this forum believe Pacific Rim is a fascist propaganda film because humanity united to defeat monsters the size of skycrapers from another dimension.

Fascism is an ideology, it's not just actions

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Slutitution posted:

I did a lot of pushback on that at the time...

... but the secret of that was that I just wanted to see if I had learned enough to hold my own with SMG and wasn't going to do the work to show that our takes were 100% compatible for him.

Still kind of puzzled by GDT of all people directing a film with a fascist narrative though, since he absolutely knew what it was.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Barudak posted:

That justification was argued in-universe, and even there was shot down:

Han Solo in some NJO novel posted:

"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

EU more like peeyuu!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

Fascism is an ideology, it's not just actions

Yes and if you've ever read Umberto Eco you'd know how absurd it is applying a toothlessly reductionist devil's advocate form of it to a robots vs. kaiju movie compared to what real fascism actually is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McSpanky posted:

Yes and if you've ever read Umberto Eco you'd know how absurd it is applying a toothlessly reductionist devil's advocate form of it to a robots vs. kaiju movie compared to what real fascism actually is.

What did Eco say about killing tall people from foreign places?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Hodgepodge posted:

Still kind of puzzled by GDT of all people directing a film with a fascist narrative though, since he absolutely knew what it was.

It's really bizarre that he ended up making a movie that's not on the side of the monsters, and I can only chalk it up to him trying to stare down a bunch of focus groups or cagey producers and blinking.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Ferrinus posted:

It's really bizarre that he ended up making a movie that's not on the side of the monsters, and I can only chalk it up to him trying to stare down a bunch of focus groups or cagey producers and blinking.

I don't remember the details, but the guy who designed the jaegers and kaiju and did a lot of the worldbuilding struck me as having something to do with it. Which is probably how things like "the kaiju poison the Earth with their toxic blood," and definately where how we ended up with kaiju names that are synoyms for "slut."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ecureuilmatrix posted:

That justification was argued in-universe, and even there was shot down:

man it's really hard to picture this dialog coming out of harrison ford's solo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Harrison ford would veto having to remember that many words

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Brother Entropy posted:

man it's really hard to picture this dialog coming out of harrison ford's solo

I can picture it as an Indiana Jones rant.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Harrison ford would veto having to remember that many words

he'd be right to, it's smarmy but way too verbose to sound like han

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The thing about Fascism is it's inherently about being very insular in an ethnic/cultural sense. Stories like Pacific Rim while they may be Militaristic are not Fascist because "The coming together of multiple disparate peoples through what's in common among all humanity." Is about as far from Fascism as you can get. Fascism at it's core believes that humanity inherently cannot work together outside of the ethnic/religious/etc. lines the particular flavor of Fascism subscribes too.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It’s hard to define fascism in a productive way because it was such a relatively brief phenomenon in a limited number of countries. Fortunately the next few decades should remedy this problem.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

porfiria posted:

It’s hard to define fascism in a productive way because it was such a relatively brief phenomenon in a limited number of countries. Fortunately the next few decades should remedy this problem.

Did you find evidence of a real inter-dimensional portal forming underneath the Pacific Ocean indicating a threat or something?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Slutitution posted:

Did you find evidence of a real inter-dimensional portal forming underneath the Pacific Ocean indicating a threat or something?

Yeah it’s called oceanic heat content.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

porfiria posted:

Yeah it’s called oceanic heat content.

How does oceanic heat content cause humans to embrace fascism again?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

galagazombie posted:

The thing about Fascism is it's inherently about being very insular in an ethnic/cultural sense. Stories like Pacific Rim while they may be Militaristic are not Fascist because "The coming together of multiple disparate peoples through what's in common among all humanity." Is about as far from Fascism as you can get. Fascism at it's core believes that humanity inherently cannot work together outside of the ethnic/religious/etc. lines the particular flavor of Fascism subscribes too.

It's a story about how weak, pathetic, vile creatures lurking at the core of the world send monsters they control which poison whatever they touch with their very blood to destroy us. Building a gigantic wall to keep them out is not enough- we must come together as a society to use the solution which politicians have betrayed us by forgoing: creating our own iron monsters to solve the problem with pure, joyous heroic violence. Any attempt to communicate with the vile beasts, even to learn how to fight them, is inherently a betrayal which corrodes the fighting ability of our heroic warriors. Through the will to exterminate this menace, we come together as one to become complete as individuals, leaders, and ultimately as a society.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

galagazombie posted:

fascism is about the organic unity of the nation state, it's not impossible to imagine an entire planet as that nation state(like in starship troopers for example). there are fascists out there right now advocating pan european unity between disparate cultures.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know, I haven't seen Pacific Rim in years, and I completely forgot about the subplot in the film about building a loving wall to keep the "monsters" out (subtle, right?). I think SMG may have been on to something here. Apologies.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
My favorite part of Pacific Rim is when the Baby Kaiju eats Ron Perlman. Baby Kaiju is the best and clearly he just wanted to hug Charlie Day.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Folks theres lots of rumors that both jakku AND tatooine will be in ep9. and the title is Star Wars Episode 9: Revenge of the Jimjov

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Slutitution posted:

You know, I haven't seen Pacific Rim in years, and I completely forgot about the subplot in the film about building a loving wall to keep the "monsters" out (subtle, right?). I think SMG may have been on to something here. Apologies.

It's kind of funny, because looking back, it might almost be tempting to think it was ahead of its time for depicting the wall as a pointless distraction. And then you think about it and it's like "oh yeah, the film's preferred solution is forming paramilitary units to beat the enemy to death instead."

PR was kind of a swing and a miss in a lot of ways. I.m still kind of glad it was made, though, because how many high-budget kaiju movies do we get, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hodgepodge posted:

. And then you think about it and it's like "oh yeah, the film's preferred solution is forming paramilitary units to beat the enemy to death instead."

And what should they have done

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

CelticPredator posted:

Written a better script.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

Freed the slaves on both sides of the rift.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hodgepodge posted:

Written a better script.

How do you write a Kaiju monster fight movie without monster fight smack downs

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

A human heart posted:

fascism is about the organic unity of the nation state, it's not impossible to imagine an entire planet as that nation state(like in starship troopers for example). there are fascists out there right now advocating pan european unity between disparate cultures.

Cinema Discusso: The text and context of the film both contradict my reading of it, but I think you'll find that if you pretend the opposite is true, then my case becomes much stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bonaventure posted:

Cinema Discusso: The text and context of the film both contradict my reading of it, but I think you'll find that if you pretend the opposite is true, then my case becomes much stronger.

So you are claiming fascism ceases to be fascism - and in fact becomes good - if it grows to become international/global.

Explain how that works.