Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I keep trying to get people from CSPAM to come here but they keep saying that all the posters here are poor hating aristocrats.

hi cspam poster here anyone who hopes for American intervention in their countries politics is a collosal dumbshit who's prolly gonna get droned because some cia dude things you buying a pack of smokes is an arms deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

In the current environment of right-wing governments surrounding Venezuela and the Trump administration backing this, you’re an absolute fool if you believe this won’t be a regression to the reactionary oligarchs who are far, far worse than Maduro.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lightning Knight posted:

The American government effectively just co-signed an attempted political coup. While you may wish to argue that they are justified in doing so, it is undeniable now that we have made ourselves involved.

That's...not what I said. You are evaluating what is happening in another country in terms of how the US is involved, and not with any particular attention or knowledge of what is happening in that country. You're also getting the directionality of the coup backwards- Maduro executed a coup by attempting to bypass the legislature.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

The American government effectively just co-signed an attempted political coup. While you may wish to argue that they are justified in doing so, it is undeniable now that we have made ourselves involved.

So did Trudeau. Do you think he has a fascist agenda too? Extending diplomatic recognition to the most legitimate political figure in the country may not do much to help things, but it at least gives the military in Venezuela one more chance to do the right thing and stop supporting the dictator who's ruined their country. The military doesn't even have to overthrow him, they can just get out of the way and allow the people to make their choice heard.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lightning Knight posted:

While that may be true, that doesn't meant that they are acting in good faith or don't have ulterior motives.

There doesn't seem to be an ideal endgame here that doesn't result in bloodshed, and Trump meddling is unlikely to make things better. If anything he's undermining the legitimacy of the opposition.

It really doesn't matter one bit whether Trump has good motivations here, this isn't something Trump did.

Why do the people of Venezuela need to be ground into the dirt for the sake of decorum, in your view? Because that is what the framing you're using here is about. The bloodshed has been ongoing for years now. The entire country's social welfare system which was once very good is completely fallen apart.

Majorian posted:

It seems to me that doing nothing is the least-bad option though - particularly given the Trump Administration's stated support for regime change in the country. U.S. involvement on any level will not make this situation better.

e: And that includes recognizing Guaido as interim president. What a stupid move.

Sorry Venezuelans, you can't even start to get rid of the dictator that has torn away everything you had in 2010. Trump might vaguely like it before he gets distracted by his next Big Mac so nothing should ever be done.

Lightning Knight posted:

The American government effectively just co-signed an attempted political coup.

If an American president got impeached, would you call that a political coup with the same evident disdain you're using the term with here?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Discendo Vox posted:

That's...not what I said. You are evaluating what is happening in another country in terms of how the US is involved, and not with any particular attention or knowledge of what is happening in that country. You're also getting the directionality of the coup backwards- Maduro executed a coup by attempting to bypass the legislature.

That last part seems like the core of the dispute.

I don’t think it’s on the US to enforce the election laws in other countries, however.

If the Russian government declared that Trump was illegitimate and that they think Hillary Clinton is the rightful president 3 years after 2016 that would not be a good thing even if Trump is human garbage.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The last country the us bombed was Libya and their main economic output is slaves now if the us gets heavily involved our military industrial complex will flay y'all alive and use your skin for seat covers on their private jets (your nipples will be a light switch)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

Sorry Venezuelans, you can't even start to get rid of the dictator that has torn away everything you had in 2010. Trump might vaguely like it before he gets distracted by his next Big Mac so nothing should ever be done.

I said that the U.S. shouldn't intervene in any way, not that Venezuelans shouldn't overthrow Maduro, goofball. (although I do think it's unlikely that whoever replaces Maduro will be better)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sinteres posted:

So did Trudeau. Do you think he has a fascist agenda too? Extending diplomatic recognition to the most legitimate political figure in the country may not do much to help things, but it at least gives the military in Venezuela one more chance to do the right thing and stop supporting the dictator who's ruined their country. The military doesn't even have to overthrow him, they can just get out of the way and allow the people to make their choice heard.

As a general rule, I think encouraging military coups in other countries is not a good thing.

Especially given that usually when the US does this, we install people like Pinochet.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Agean90 posted:

The last country the us bombed was Libya and their main economic output is slaves now if the us gets heavily involved our military industrial complex will flay y'all alive and use your skin for seat covers on their private jets (your nipples will be a light switch)

Literally nobody itt has called on the US to intervene militarily.

Lightning Knight posted:

As a general rule, I think encouraging military coups in other countries is not a good thing.

Especially given that usually when the US does this, we install people like Pinochet.

They're already ruled by a military dictatorship.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The events occurring in Venezuela are not about the United States. The US isn't enforcing the election law of another country, it's performing its obligations under the general principles of international law regarding the recognition of sovereign governments. I'm struggling here because you're glossing or simply wrong about enough different parts of the subject, simultaneously, that it's difficult to identify what order of correction to apply.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

US supported coups in Latin America are good, a progressive, historical view of how liberals can applaud installing right-wing regimes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sinteres posted:

They're already ruled by a military dictatorship.

There are differing degrees of military dictatorship though. I imagine the Venezuelan people, on the whole, would prefer a Maduro to a Videla.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Discendo Vox posted:

The US isn't enforcing the election law of another country, it's performing its obligations under the general principles of international law regarding the recognition of sovereign governments.

This is a canned PR response at best that flies in the face of historical US actions in Latin America and buys into the fairy tale that any major military power gives a gently caress about international law except when it suits them.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sinteres posted:

Well, as of yet. The WH is saying they are "keeping options open" but actual invasion rhetoric is still on the fringe with the old Iraq War neo-con #neverTrumpers. Hope it doesn't catch on though

I agree that Maduro has to go but I can see some people having justified concerns over a coup backed by a far-right US POTUS in South America, as those things haven't gone historically well. Hope this other guy actually turns out legit.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 23, 2019

THS
Sep 15, 2017

You all can rationalize anything and it’s amazing. If there is US military intervention if and when this poo poo sparks massive internal unrest and violence, the liberal hawks in this thread will 100% find a way to spin it as a regretful necessity.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

How popular is Trump in Latin America? I would think Trump's endorsement would do more harm than good here but Brazil elected Bolsonaro so ???

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

This is a canned PR response at best that flies in the face of historical US actions in Latin America and buys into the fairy tale that any major military power gives a gently caress about international law except when it suits them.

Do you think Trudeau signed on because he wants right wing death squads to kill more Veneuzelans than Maduro would starve too?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Word cause the post right after yours has someone giving the war for freedom response after the current us admin said it's willing to escalate

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'll readily cop to being very ignorant of the opposition to Maduro, who I recognize has behaved like an illegitimate autocrat. But history has been a very good guide about the track record of coups backed by far-right North Atlantic governments, so I'm going to assume the worst from them.

Edit:
You really could scratch "far-right" out of my sentence and it remains true.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Sinteres posted:

Do you think Trudeau signed on because he wants right wing death squads to kill more Veneuzelans than Maduro would starve too?

Trudeau is a piece of poo poo so you bringing him up as some moral arbiter of international law is very rich.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sinteres posted:

You don't understand, Sinteres. Other countries, other information, those things aren't relevant. It's about what the US does, and how wrong it is.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Bae Trudeau wouldn’t do bad thing!!!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

THS posted:

You all can rationalize anything and it’s amazing. If there is US military intervention if and when this poo poo sparks massive internal unrest and violence, the liberal hawks in this thread will 100% find a way to spin it as a regretful necessity.

You're already spinning Venezuela being starved as a regretful necessity, so the imaginary liberal hawks you're strawmanning will have your post history to provide them with the template.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Trudeau sells weapons to the Saudis.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Dunno you think they helped turn Libya into a failed state cause he like giving theocratic militias more areas to operate in?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I expect he'd certainly welcome more favorable trade relations with Venezuela.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

If you're trying the argument of goons will immediately shift to support military intervention other people have already that song and dance so you should just give it a rest

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sinteres posted:

I think Trudeau signed on because Canada is a US ally that generally follows the US foreign policy line.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sinteres posted:

You're already spinning Venezuela being starved as a regretful necessity, so the imaginary liberal hawks you're strawmanning will have your post history to provide them with the template.

Who's saying it's a necessity, or even that Maduro isn't bad? I think we all agree Maduro's bad; the question is just whether or not he'd be replaced by someone worse. (which is not unlikely, given the way Latin American history tends to play out)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Imagine looks ng at the past 20 years of us military actions and thinking anything good will happen.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No matter what your opinions are on Maduro or the legitimacy of the opposition, the US is absolutely going to use this as an excuse for intervention

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/status/1088149867367673856

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No matter what your opinions are on Maduro or the legitimacy of the opposition, the US is absolutely going to use this as an excuse for intervention

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/status/1088149867367673856

The US says all options are on the table about everything. Bush, Obama and Trump have all said it about Iran a billion times and we never invaded Iran.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ChaseSP posted:

If you're trying the argument of goons will immediately shift to support military intervention other people have already that song and dance so you should just give it a rest

considering this is a clear escalation in an environment full of freakish US neocons and insane reactionary governments in Latin America, I think the support of right wing oligarchs trying to assert political control in Venezuela is very short sighted!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sinteres posted:

The US says all options are on the table about everything. Bush, Obama and Trump have all said it about Iran a billion times and we never invaded Iran.

That's right, there's always economic warfare and being a state sponsor of terrorism too in the playbook.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Sinteres posted:

Oh thank god, good thing Bush and Obama didn’t invade anyone weaker than Iran. You’re awful dude.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Literally propaganda Maduro uses that any opposition are far right radicals rather than poor people tired of mass corruption.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Trump has repeatedly suggested invading Venezuela to his staff, though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Good thing someone succeeded in getting cspam posters to show up and turn this into a referendum on the US rather than anything having to do with Venezuela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ChaseSP posted:

Literally propaganda Maduro uses that any opposition are far right radicals rather than poor people tired of mass corruption.

https://twitter.com/MikePrysner/sta...6pagenumber%3D3

'poor people tired of mass corruption'