Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Good thing someone succeeded in getting cspam posters to show up and turn this into a referendum on the US rather than anything having to do with Venezuela.

Whether or not the U.S. intervenes in Venezuela has a hell of a lot to do with Venezuela.:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I loving hate minorities and loving hate poor people having access to free medicine and loving hate it more than anything that the 2% don’t get to gut the country while laughing at the pain of poor people as they starve to death

It is me, I am a progressive

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Good thing someone succeeded in getting cspam posters to show up and turn this into a referendum on the US rather than anything having to do with Venezuela.

The US chose to get involved so :shrug:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

ChaseSP posted:

Literally propaganda Maduro uses that any opposition are far right radicals rather than poor people tired of mass corruption.

I mean

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1088144777336504324

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

sorry venezuela you're stuck with your existing military supported dictatorship who seized power through a coup because, gently caress, it could be worse!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Got me.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Nevermind, I guess the people who are leading the opposition in Venezuela are well meaning social democrats, and not the right-wing oligarchs who have been trying to win back power for 20 years. Looking forward to the policies of the new regime.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There are tons of images of people protesting against Maduro despite people showing up with guns to kill them when they do, but your picture of the fraction of the country that still supports Maduro turning out definitely means he's super popular.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

sorry venezuela you're stuck with your existing military supported dictatorship who seized power through a coup because, gently caress, it could be worse!

Do you think the U.S. intervening will help?

Sinteres posted:

There are tons of images of people protesting against Maduro despite people showing up with guns to kill them when they do, but your picture of the fraction of the country that still supports Maduro turning out definitely means he's super popular.

This is a false binary; counter-protesters can not like Maduro, but still oppose a far-right coup.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ah, so you’re saying you support Qadafi?? You want the Libyan people to suffer underneath his dictatorship?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

THS posted:

Nevermind, I guess the people who are leading the opposition in Venezuela are well meaning social democrats, and not the right-wing oligarchs who have been trying to win back power for 20 years. Looking forward to the policies of the new regime.

Yes, they actually are

Perhaps you should inform yourself before forming an opinion on something.

Oh wait you say you’re both white AND a gringo? Nevermind do whatever you want mister sir

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

This is a false binary; counter-protesters can not like Maduro, but still oppose a far-right coup.

Recognizing the last person to be democratically elected in the country isn't a far right coup.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
1. Maduro is an illegitimate dictator who has usurped the constitutional order

2. The protests in the streets and the opposition in the AN are actual legitimate protest movements seeking to restore self-determination to the Venezuelan people

3. The US and Bolsonaro are horrible fascists whose intervention is vehemently opposed to

None of these positions is mutually exclusive

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sinteres posted:

The US says all options are on the table about everything. Bush, Obama and Trump have all said it about Iran a billion times and we never invaded Iran.

Considering that noted US ally Israel routinely bombed Iran and the US government under Bush clearly wanted to, I don’t think this is a great example.

Majorian posted:

I think we all agree Maduro's bad

I think this is optimistic tbh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lightning Knight posted:

As a general rule, I think encouraging military coups in other countries is not a good thing.

Especially given that usually when the US does this, we install people like Pinochet.

The military coup already happened several years ago, the formal abandonment of the legal constitution occurred on August 8, 2017. That seems to be what you're missing here. The country is already run by a dime store Pinochet.

Venezuela is, right now, already at the level of the worst of the cold war capitalist military dictatorships of South America. Under Maduro's hand all of the advances Hugo Chavez achieved in combating poverty have been shredded, and on top of that the major economic sectors have been gutted in the name of lining the pockets of high regime officials.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Majorian posted:

I think direct, military intervention would be a huge mistake.

I also think that the US recognizing the actual democratically elected President in conjunction with many other countries is neither a coup nor intervention.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sinteres posted:

why don't you post them

THS
Sep 15, 2017

fishmech posted:

The military coup already happened several years ago, the formal abandonment of the legal constitution occurred on August 8, 2017. That seems to be what you're missing here. The country is already run by a dime store Pinochet.

Venezuela is, right now, already at the level of the worst of the cold war capitalist military dictatorships of South America. Under Maduro's hand all of the advances Hugo Chavez achieved in combating poverty have been shredded, and on top of that the major economic sectors have been gutted in the name of lining the pockets of high regime officials.

You don’t give a gently caress about the legacy of Hugo Chavez you cretin.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Considering that noted US ally Israel routinely bombed Iran and the US government under Bush clearly wanted to, I don’t think this is a great example.

Israel doesn't bomb Iran, they bomb Iranian forces in Syria. I'm not saying that's wonderful either, but there's a pretty significant difference.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I also think that the US recognizing the actual democratically elected President in conjunction with many other countries is neither a coup nor intervention.

The recognition is a tool to justify further us action in the area, nothing more. The us has never once given a gently caress about legitimate democracy in South American and any action should be seen as an attempt at furthering it's own economic interestes.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kurnugia posted:

why don't you post them

https://twitter.com/TheAtlPhoto/status/851847506359181313

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sinteres posted:

Israel doesn't bomb Iran, they bomb Iranian forces in Syria. I'm not saying that's wonderful either, but there's a pretty significant difference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Opera?wprov=sfti1

fishmech posted:

I don’t think the US should intervene regardless tbh. The US government is not a good faith actor.

I also think the best case scenario would’ve been for Maduro to step down. I think that ship sailed with the foreign recognition.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

The only thing that makes me at all doubt this administration won't go in for an actual intervention has been their inability to pull off any kind of sustained and complex operation. They've telegraphed their desire to intervene for the last two years.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Kurnugia posted:

why don't you post them

Why don't you read the thread? Or at least Chuck Boone's posts?

I guess its easier to randomly get in here when a crisis happens and poo poo up the thread though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You didn't get the country right this time either. That was Iraq, and 1981 isn't a timely reference.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I’m glad to know American exceptionalism is alive and well and that Venezuelans are NOT allowed to make their own decisions

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sinteres posted:

You didn't get the country right this time either. That was Iraq, and 1981 isn't a timely reference.

Oh darn it I copied the wrong thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesofisrael.com/israel-destroyed-irans-nuclear-program-already-last-year-leaked-intelligence-claims/amp/

But lol that Israel bombs so many of its neighbors with impunity.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Furia posted:

I’m glad to know American exceptionalism is alive and well and that Venezuelans are NOT allowed to make their own decisions

The last time Venezuelans were allowed to freely vote, the opposition won, which is why this guy's the legitimate leader of the country. Of course there should be new elections once the Maduro military regime collapses though.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Furia posted:

No one in America is keeping Maduro in power.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sinteres posted:

The last time Venezuelans were allowed to freely vote, the opposition won, which is why this guy's the legitimate leader of the country. Of course there should be new elections once the Maduro military regime collapses though.

And when, inevitably, this does not happen, and conveniently the new Venezuelan dictator is friendly to the US? Aw, darn, so sad, what a terrible outcome, I’m sure.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, I know. I’m making fun of the people that come in here pretending to care about what happens to us once we are in the news

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Furia posted:

Who do you think is actually arguing this? Quote their posts, please.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

No one in America is keeping Maduro in power.

Then there is no issue with recognizing his re-election as illegitimate, given the fraud that took place, right?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Aw, darn, so sad, what a terrible outcome, I’m sure

This but unironically because I actually give a poo poo about my friends and family and am not an extremely online american

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uh, a rumored commando raid isnt really the same thing as a bombing campaign

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

And when, inevitably, this does not happen, and conveniently the new Venezuelan dictator is friendly to the US? Aw, darn, so sad, what a terrible outcome, I’m sure.

I agree that the global climate for democracy is worse than it's been in decades, but I don't think that means we need to hope today's dictators stay in power forever. This isn't a country with ethnic and sectarian divisions that's likely to tear itself apart the second the people are allowed to decide, so I think there's more hope for Venezuela than many places. I don't think US intervention is the right way to get there, but I do think diplomatic gestures are appropriate.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Lightning Knight posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Opera?wprov=sfti1

I don’t think the US should intervene regardless tbh. The US government is not a good faith actor.

I also think the best case scenario would’ve been for Maduro to step down. I think that ship sailed with the foreign recognition.

So Venezuelans should embrace their military dictatorship that starves and oppresses them because right wing governments oppose him? Gotcha.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

poo poo.stay safe venezuelogoons.hope you kick maduros poo poo in and please dont replace him with a right wing fascist.by the law of averages, one of these days something will have to turn out ok in latin america. solidarity.

Freedonkeys
Jan 7, 2010
American involvement in Central and South America has always turned out well, and I'm looking forward to the continuation of our long history of positive impact in the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

The idea that Maduro would be willing to simply "step down" under any circumstances is almost endearing in its naivete.