Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I hear ya, but USB C is a change for all phones, so I would just mention it isn’t necessarily just the Pixel that is forcing it.

I would think older wireless fast chargers still fast charge the pixel 3.

I’m going to have to recheck the pixel box, I didn’t think the Pixel 3 (or 1 / 2 ) came with a USB A to C, just one C to C.

Edit: beaten by the post above. Looks like it comes with one adapter.

I don't even care if it fast charges it, it's just that I've murdered the battery in at least one controller and one of those charging banks trying to fast charge them like an idiot so I didn't want to do the same thing to this phone, haha

E oh, wireless fast charging--I've actually never messed with wireless charging, but I read a few minutes ago Google only lets the pixel fast charge wirelessly off of their proprietary charger mat..pad...cradle...thing

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Inspector Hound posted:

E oh, wireless fast charging--I've actually never messed with wireless charging, but I read a few minutes ago Google only lets the pixel fast charge wirelessly off of their proprietary charger mat..pad...cradle...thing

Correct, though there are some other "Google approved" ones that should be out shortly. The whole charging landscape right now is a insane hot mess. Hopefully more phones/devices will move over to USB-PD and stop the insanity (but they won't).

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Hey Duckman - I'm trying desperately to cling to my remaining $25/month line discounts on an old More Everything plan. I've got an upgrade eligible line that wants a new phone. If I step this through online, the estimated bill summary right before check out shows me a "phone access" monthly cost of $40.

Do I assume correctly that this is showing me the discount disappearing, and that there isn't much I can do about it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Hey Duckman - I'm trying desperately to cling to my remaining $25/month line discounts on an old More Everything plan. I've got an upgrade eligible line that wants a new phone. If I step this through online, the estimated bill summary right before check out shows me a "phone access" monthly cost of $40.

Do I assume correctly that this is showing me the discount disappearing, and that there isn't much I can do about it?

If you have the $25 a month already and you’re upgrading it’ll keep it.

Those plans always showed a phone access of $40 a month, and then it gave a $25 a month discount.

If you are really unsure, feel free to go by a Corp store and they should be able to confirm and sell you the phone (they’ll likely also try, not force, and ask you to buy a tablet or something, but whatever).

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
So my GF and I are trying to get on a plan together. I have an individual line already, but she is on her family's business plan, and she is authorized to make changes I guess. Issue is that nobody knows the PIN and the main account owner does everything by mail or on the phone and never goes online. Is she, as an authorized user, going to be able to call in and reset the pin, or is the main account holder gonna have to sit on hold with customer service to get the PIN figured out? Trying to avoid that second thing if possible. Thanks verizongoons

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainJuan posted:

So my GF and I are trying to get on a plan together. I have an individual line already, but she is on her family's business plan, and she is authorized to make changes I guess. Issue is that nobody knows the PIN and the main account owner does everything by mail or on the phone and never goes online. Is she, as an authorized user, going to be able to call in and reset the pin, or is the main account holder gonna have to sit on hold with customer service to get the PIN figured out? Trying to avoid that second thing if possible. Thanks verizongoons

If she’s listed as authorized she should be able to change the pin. So I would try that first. Can’t guarantee it.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Well, she changed the pin and put the request in, but now I am getting:

quote:

"Your account has or will exceed the maximum number of lines. Therefore, you are not able to proceed. However, we can setup a separate account for you. You will need to exit this request, restart the request and choose the "I will need a new account" path."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainJuan posted:

Well, she changed the pin and put the request in, but now I am getting:

you won’t be able to transfer from a business account to personal via online it that is what you are trying to do. Call business care (closed on weekends) here and they’ll transfer it.

(800) 295-1614

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009
I have the XL plan that I share with my SO and am getting 25% off because of work. The unlimited plans aren't shared and workplace discounts won't apply at all right?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

smilingokami posted:

I have the XL plan that I share with my SO and am getting 25% off because of work. The unlimited plans aren't shared and workplace discounts won't apply at all right?

To my knowledge, the only two discounts applicable to the new Unlimited plans are the Military/Veteran's discount and the $10/month discount when you have both VZW Unlimited and FiOS Gigabit Internet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To my knowledge, the only two discounts applicable to the new Unlimited plans are the Military/Veteran's discount and the $10/month discount when you have both VZW Unlimited and FiOS Gigabit Internet.

Correct, there is one new edition. First responders (police, fire fighters, EMS, etc) also get the same discount as military now.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Is that $10 for having Gigabit and wireless at the same time supposed to be automatic?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Exit Strategy posted:

Is that $10 for having Gigabit and wireless at the same time supposed to be automatic?

I don’t work in a Fios market anymore, so I couldn’t tell you. Never assume in telecoms. I would call customer service and confirm.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

It wasn't for me. I went almost a year not knowing that said discount even existed, until I called in for an unrelated issue and the rep "discovered" that I qualified.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Got a question:

I'm currently on the Verizon Unlimited plan for $80/month, which includes the $5 autopay discount. I see the current Beyond Unlimited plan now offers free Apple Music and is $85 including the autopay discount. As far as I can tell, these plans are otherwise equivalent. Is this correct? I use around 10-15 GB of data per month, so the 22 GB soft cap is fine either way. In any case, I use Apple Music, so saving another $5 a month would be nice, but I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I'm missing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Got a question:

I'm currently on the Verizon Unlimited plan for $80/month, which includes the $5 autopay discount. I see the current Beyond Unlimited plan now offers free Apple Music and is $85 including the autopay discount. As far as I can tell, these plans are otherwise equivalent. Is this correct? I use around 10-15 GB of data per month, so the 22 GB soft cap is fine either way. In any case, I use Apple Music, so saving another $5 a month would be nice, but I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I'm missing.

You aren’t missing anything. They’re the same plan, they just raised the price with Beyond unlimited, hence why it’s $5 more.

2 lines on your current plan is quite a bit cheaper than 2 lines on beyond unlimited, that’s only a factor if you were expanding to a family plan at some point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks! I'm more likely to switch to another carrier than I am to add any lines, but that's good to know.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So in order to get your phone to actually be able to authenticate for the free Apple Music promo, you have to jump through a hoop: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-218772/

Once one phone on the plan is authenticated, all (qualifying) lines are authenticated. Oddly enough mine is still greyed out, probably because I've a few days before my line officially goes from grandfathered ULD to BU.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 18, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seems to have worked for me. I switched plans through the app, cancelled Apple Music in iTunes, then signed up in the Verizon app. When I clicked the link, it took me to the Apple Music app which told me I now had two subscriptions on my account and to cancel one (which I already did, but that one's good for another couple weeks). Cool. Now I can afford Starbucks once per month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Seems to have worked for me. I switched plans through the app, cancelled Apple Music in iTunes, then signed up in the Verizon app. When I clicked the link, it took me to the Apple Music app which told me I now had two subscriptions on my account and to cancel one (which I already did, but that one's good for another couple weeks). Cool. Now I can afford Starbucks once per month.

Nice. Saved all your Apple Music and playlists?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Nice. Saved all your Apple Music and playlists?

Yeah, that's all attached to your Apple/iCloud account, so it doesn't touch it.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I have an eSIM question with a new phone.

I just got an iPhone XR through work. I'd like to take advantage of the Duai-SIM capabilities to have my business and personal cell on one phone. My current personal phone is a paid-off iPhone 7+ through Verizon. How difficult/realistic are these scenarios, and which one makes more sense?

1: Convert SIM in work phone to eSIM, pop in SIM from the old phone and have both lines working.
2: Convert the personal SIM to eSIM, populate that into work phone, continue to use physical SIM for work line

The first option seems to be the easier of the two, I just want to make sure it will work. Will there be any issues with there being two different Verizon online accounts?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I have an eSIM question with a new phone.

I just got an iPhone XR through work. I'd like to take advantage of the Duai-SIM capabilities to have my business and personal cell on one phone. My current personal phone is a paid-off iPhone 7+ through Verizon. How difficult/realistic are these scenarios, and which one makes more sense?

1: Convert SIM in work phone to eSIM, pop in SIM from the old phone and have both lines working.
2: Convert the personal SIM to eSIM, populate that into work phone, continue to use physical SIM for work line

The first option seems to be the easier of the two, I just want to make sure it will work. Will there be any issues with there being two different Verizon online accounts?

Either option just requires you to be authorized, or someone confirming one time authorization. So the only difficulty with option 1 is you need to get work to authorize the SIM change. In store they would do that by emailing the point of contact on the account.

Looking at it, I think you should do option 1, just either 1. Get authorization ahead of time or 2. Give the eSIM to your point of contact and have that person call in and change it accordingly.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
So I'm in the slightly odd situation (I guess) of never having dealt with contracts and carriers before. All my and my wife's phones have either been simple pre-paid fliphones, or supplied through work. So I have a couple of questions on how to do this stuff.

We're getting an iPhone for our daughter, currently planning to get a refurb iPhone 7 direct from Apple. (An unlocked A1660 model, that seems to matter from the OP). Thinking of a Verizon plan because my wife's work should give some kind of discount. We don't currently have any personal phone contracts.
What's the easiest way to do this? Buy the phone, then bring it into a Verizon store? Will they supply the SIM? Will they be able to apply the supposed corporate discount? Or should we do it some other way?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hobnob posted:

So I'm in the slightly odd situation (I guess) of never having dealt with contracts and carriers before. All my and my wife's phones have either been simple pre-paid fliphones, or supplied through work. So I have a couple of questions on how to do this stuff.

We're getting an iPhone for our daughter, currently planning to get a refurb iPhone 7 direct from Apple. (An unlocked A1660 model, that seems to matter from the OP). Thinking of a Verizon plan because my wife's work should give some kind of discount. We don't currently have any personal phone contracts.
What's the easiest way to do this? Buy the phone, then bring it into a Verizon store? Will they supply the SIM? Will they be able to apply the supposed corporate discount? Or should we do it some other way?

Yup, just buy the phone and bring it by the Verizon store.

FYI you may want to do prepaid if it’s one line for your daughter. And yes please get that model, the other iPhone 7 model will not work on Verizon.

Prepaid: $40 for 3GB, $50 for 8GB, $70 for unlimited. $5 off with autopay. No work discounts (sorry)

Postpaid: $60 for 5GB (this qualifies for the work discount), $80 for unlimited (no work discount). $5 off with autopay.

Basically even though prepaid doesn’t get work discounts it’s cheaper in your case.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Just to be sure... there’s no way to keep my Apple Music family plan with Apple Music Verizon stuff right? Both my wife and I need to enroll separately and then cancel family plan?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, I'm on the original New Unlimited plan. From what I can tell, it's functionally equivalent to the Beyond Unlimited, except it doesn't have the name or the free Apple Music.

Duckman - What's my loss/gain scenario for switching to Beyond? Is it more expensive?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In my area if I use any of the unlimited plans I get jack poo poo in the middle of the busiest part of the work day. By that I mean almost no bandwidth. Ended up changing to their 18GB XXL OMG plan with roll over so most months I get 30ish GB to use. VZW throttling on unlimited SUCKS.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

My Pixel XL has stopped working for phone calls. It can still make/receive calls and the person on the other end can hear me, but I can't hear them. Anyone had any experience fixing something like this?

Powering it off and back on will return it's ability to work for some period of time(like an hour or two) but then it returns to the above lack of functionality.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

redeyes posted:

VZW throttling on unlimited SUCKS.

I agree; unlimited is basically a trap at this point. I have found that the one step above basic unlimited (BEYOND Unlimited?) is much better, while (for me at least) being cheaper than any of the data-cap plans that aren't hilariously tiny.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

My Pixel XL has stopped working for phone calls. It can still make/receive calls and the person on the other end can hear me, but I can't hear them. Anyone had any experience fixing something like this?

Powering it off and back on will return it's ability to work for some period of time(like an hour or two) but then it returns to the above lack of functionality.

If it was the other way around you'd be in luck. There was a manufacturing flaw in the microphone in the original PXL that Google's still fixing for free through two official partners (UBreakIFix being one of them), but I don't think the same is true about the speaker. Does the speakerphone functionality still work? You lose privacy, sure - but it might be a temporary workaround.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Just to be sure... there’s no way to keep my Apple Music family plan with Apple Music Verizon stuff right? Both my wife and I need to enroll separately and then cancel family plan?

Correct, Verizon doesn’t do the family option, it’s individual per device on account on Beyond unlimited or higher.

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, I'm on the original New Unlimited plan. From what I can tell, it's functionally equivalent to the Beyond Unlimited, except it doesn't have the name or the free Apple Music.

Duckman - What's my loss/gain scenario for switching to Beyond? Is it more expensive?

Only reason for you to do beyond is for Apple Music. I forget how many devices you have. Essentially, Beyond is more expensive by $5 to $10 more per line. I’d have to see you account to do further math. I would stay on the older unlimited though, even if you use Apple Music.

redeyes posted:

In my area if I use any of the unlimited plans I get jack poo poo in the middle of the busiest part of the work day. By that I mean almost no bandwidth. Ended up changing to their 18GB XXL OMG plan with roll over so most months I get 30ish GB to use. VZW throttling on unlimited SUCKS.

Just curious: big city or not? I just don’t get those complaints in my area, but it’s a smaller city.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Just curious: big city or not? I just don’t get those complaints in my area, but it’s a smaller city.

Mine is more "overloaded cell" than anything else: ~300 person facility on a military base. Before everyone gets in in the morning, everything is nice and snappy and as fast as you could reasonably expect. By 8am it feels like being back on dialup. Then everyone goes home and it's snappy again. Between that and the general signal availability issues here, I can only assume that Verizon hasn't bothered to update their towers (let alone add more) since LTE first hit.

Jumping from Unlimited to Beyond Unlimited made a pretty big difference for normal work-hours performance.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Duckman2008 posted:

Only reason for you to do beyond is for Apple Music. I forget how many devices you have. Essentially, Beyond is more expensive by $5 to $10 more per line. I’d have to see you account to do further math. I would stay on the older unlimited though, even if you use Apple Music.

Yeah, we don't use it currently, but we have YT Red/Premium/whatever the gently caress it's called this week on a family plan. With 7 lines, moving to beyond would be much more than we pay for that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Weirdly enough, even though my phone (a first-gen Pixel XL) is now on BU, it's still showing as "not compatible" with Apple Music. The other two phones on the account are an Essential PH-1 and a first-gen non-XL Pixel. Both of them are enrollment-eligible. I still do have access to Apple Music via a shared Apple ID linked to a phone that's been authenticated, but it seems weird that my phone's greyed out on the online/app interface. Is this something that could be fixed in-store, or is this going to be one of those "keep working my way up the tech support ladder until I find someone who knows what they're doing" things?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Weirdly enough, even though my phone (a first-gen Pixel XL) is now on BU, it's still showing as "not compatible" with Apple Music. The other two phones on the account are an Essential PH-1 and a first-gen non-XL Pixel. Both of them are enrollment-eligible. I still do have access to Apple Music via a shared Apple ID linked to a phone that's been authenticated, but it seems weird that my phone's greyed out on the online/app interface. Is this something that could be fixed in-store, or is this going to be one of those "keep working my way up the tech support ladder until I find someone who knows what they're doing" things?

Definitely not in store. Both the tools are not there, and the employees are not going to be interested in helping out on something they know nothing about and don’t get paid on.

I’ll try and remember to check the Apple Music info tomorrow. I would have assumed the qualifications was “phone line” and “Beyond unlimited.” Why factor in device compatibility (maybe the user had an iPad or something)?

I sometimes forget on this stuff, so if you keep having an issue PM me. I can’t help much on this, but I can check the basic terms and info.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If it was the other way around you'd be in luck. There was a manufacturing flaw in the microphone in the original PXL that Google's still fixing for free through two official partners (UBreakIFix being one of them), but I don't think the same is true about the speaker. Does the speakerphone functionality still work? You lose privacy, sure - but it might be a temporary workaround.

When this was happening, speakerphone wasn't working either(I couldn't hear them, they could hear me). I was assuming software, I think there was a recent update.

But after a week of this and multiple power downs, it appears to have stopped now for a day straight? So maybe it has mysteriously fixed itself.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Target has the Pixel 3 XL with a $450-off-upgrade promo.

The $450 is reflected as a down payment and not a monthly bill credit. I threw $150 of my own in as a down payment so it's showing $600 paid off already.

Per Slickdeals this ends up stacking with the current $300 bill credit promo going on now with Verizon as well (they've called after ordering and asked if they'll be getting the credits), which is why I bought it down to $300. If it does actually stack then I'm paying nothing more for this phone.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

kitten smoothie posted:

Target has the Pixel 3 XL with a $450-off-upgrade promo.

The $450 is reflected as a down payment and not a monthly bill credit. I threw $150 of my own in as a down payment so it's showing $600 paid off already.

Per Slickdeals this ends up stacking with the current $300 bill credit promo going on now with Verizon as well (they've called after ordering and asked if they'll be getting the credits), which is why I bought it down to $300. If it does actually stack then I'm paying nothing more for this phone.

If this works I'm going to get a pixel 3 XL tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DrDork posted:

Mine is more "overloaded cell" than anything else: ~300 person facility on a military base. Before everyone gets in in the morning, everything is nice and snappy and as fast as you could reasonably expect. By 8am it feels like being back on dialup. Then everyone goes home and it's snappy again. Between that and the general signal availability issues here, I can only assume that Verizon hasn't bothered to update their towers (let alone add more) since LTE first hit.

Jumping from Unlimited to Beyond Unlimited made a pretty big difference for normal work-hours performance.

The area my parents live in is like this. Whatever cells serve most of the county must be completely overloaded. Because once you drive into the general area and switch over to them, speeds max out at 2-3Mbps even at the best times of day. You can be sitting in the middle of the town with a full 5 bar signal and never pull more than 5Mbps. If you can force your device over to 3G, it is actually FASTER in some cases!

It is terrible and has been this way for more than 2 years now. My mother even called Verizon and complained a few times only to be told "we are working on network upgrades for your area".

It doesn't help that the county is severely under-served by any broadband provider and anyone outside of the only major town are forced to use Verizon for internet access. The only other carrier that works fully, AT&T, is not much better. Sprint is on Roaming in most of the county, and TMobile only has 4G data service via Band 12. Living in that area and dealing with 3g/4g bullshit for internet taught me that carrier coverage maps are complete bullshit and have very little basis in reality.