Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Furia posted:

Yes, because, again, we cannot make our own decisions

Who ITT is keeping you from making your own decisions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Furia posted:

Yes, because, again, we cannot make our own decisions and so definitely need you to intervene in our country and make the decision for us

It is impossible to point out Maduro is a rich wing dictator and reject US intervention. This is a science fact that this two positions are intrinsically linked

In a better world you could pretend like the two things aren’t going to be inextricably linked.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

the habit is to apologize for all the dirty poo poo done to latin america

citation needed

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

pretending the current destabilization isn't an intervention in the same mold.

Oh I remember you now. You are the noble savages guy. How you doin?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

This isn't a thread about romania, but its clear that Americans are addicted to WWII-style subversion of governments they find undesirable, with disastrous results. As I have said probably dozens of times in this thread, the habit is to apologize for all the dirty poo poo done to latin america while pretending like the current destabilization isn't an intervention in the same mold.

You might as well link the article for everyone else to read.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/future-development/2018/06/05/romania-thriving-cities-rural-poverty-and-a-trust-deficit/

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

THS posted:

In a better world you could pretend like the two things aren’t going to be inextricably linked.

Poor people better starve then I guess

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

The problem here is that you don’t possibly understand how bad things are. Whatever you think may happen with a right wing government is already occurring, seriously, just take one loving look at the country and you can see that really the worst we can get is just more of the same.

And again, unless you have something to propose as a of solution to the crisis, just step aside, you’re in the way of the only people doing anything.

I'm absolutely not in the way of anything. I'm posting that the U.S. should not intervene in Venezuela, on a dead comedy forum. The only thing keeping you from politically acting is you. Go out and protest! Stop whining!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

I'm absolutely not in the way of anything. I'm posting that the U.S. should not intervene in Venezuela, on a dead comedy forum. The only thing keeping you from politically acting is you. Go out and protest! Stop whining!

We have now reached the “triggered, liberal?” portion of fake leftist regressing to their true republican selves

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Maduro's speech is over, and the only concrete announcement he made is that he's breaking diplomatic ties with the US and kicking out consular staff. He also looked extremely plump:

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1088178593916772353

He droned on about nonsense in his usual way. I'd say that the speech was noteworthy in how passive it was, specially given what happened today. I think he only mentioned Guaido a couple of times.

If Guaido doesn't get arrested in the next few days, I think that the regime will just try to ignore this since it still has full control of the military and the Supreme Court. It's going to be hard to ignore it given that a growing list of countries are recognizing Guaido as the president, but it might be their best bet.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Furia posted:

We have now reached the “triggered, liberal?” portion of fake leftist regressing to their true republican selves

That's not even close to what I was saying. Seriously, I'm perplexed - how are leftists ITT stopping you from doing anything? How are we taking choices away from you?

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
so how many wmds are in venezuela

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

He would but he lives in western europe. Kind of like how the loudest korean right wingers and the most ardent pro-taiwanese independence activists live in the US.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Furia posted:

Poor people better starve then I guess

It can always get worse and I can guarantee that the US government will try its best to gently caress up Venezuela beyond your wildest imaginations. There’s a fantastic track record.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Majorian posted:

Maduro's part of his legacy to some degree, but it's misleading to just outright say, "Maduro is part of Chavez's legacy." You have to contextualize it more than that. Maduro has hardly just been a posthumous cipher for Chavez's zombie-brain.

Maduro was Chavez's handpicked successor, so yeah, he's part of his legacy. So is Venezuela's descent into authoritarianism and the skyrocketing murder rate.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Furia posted:

citation needed

Oh I remember you now. You are the noble savages guy. How you doin?

are you the venezuelan version of the cuban plantation owners living in miami

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Majorian posted:

What do you mean by "intervene"? There are a whole lot of interpretations to that word. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in this thread who wants the US to invade. All most of us want is for Maduro to piss off and for Venezuela to once again resemble at least something of a functioning society.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Holy poo poo Maduro ate all the Venezuelans

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:allears: Its fun seeing all the tankies come out to defend a kleptocracy and not realize just how awful everything is there when they say a new government 'could be even worse'.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Giggle Goose posted:

What do you mean by "intervene"? There are a whole lot of interpretations to that word. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in this thread who wants the US to invade. All most of us want is for Maduro to piss off and for Venezuela to once again resemble at least something of a functioning society.

Which is fine, I think that's perfectly reasonable. But then I see posts like this...

fnox posted:

See the problem Venezuelan posters in this thread have with most international leftists is that they have done absolutely loving nothing but complain about any possible attempt to alleviate our situation despite repeated cries for help. We’re having to rely on Trump of all loving people to get anything done, because nobody on the left wants to help. I don’t know what else are you expecting us civilians to do against a military dictatorship.

...and again, I wonder what sort of help we're expected to provide.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Themage posted:

I'm under the impression that its members of the PSUV that tend to have property in miami.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pharohman777 posted:

:allears: Its fun seeing all the tankies come out to defend a kleptocracy and not realize just how awful everything is there when they say a new government 'could be even worse'.

Fun seeing all the liberal hawks ignore the last 50 years of history because this time it’s different.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Negrostrike posted:

They suffer from whitesaviorisis, poor things.

I'm pretty sure these conversations are so consistently bad is that people like Lighting Knight and Majorian aren't even really trying to talk about Venezuela at all. How can they? They don't know enough to have coherent opinions. The reason there's such an obnoxious tendency for threads like this to constantly turn to the subject of the United States is that it is what most of the posters know about and most directly relates to them.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

THS posted:

It can always get worse and I can guarantee that the US government will try its best to gently caress up Venezuela beyond your wildest imaginations. There’s a fantastic track record.

As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, if the US wanted to "gently caress up Venezuela" they could absolutely destroy whats left of its economy simply by no longer purchasing Venezuelan oil. If they want to gently caress it up so bad, why don't they just do this?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Squalid posted:

I'm pretty sure these conversations are so consistently bad is that people like Lighting Knight and Majorian aren't even really trying to talk about Venezuela at all. How can they? They don't know enough to have coherent opinions. The reason there's such an obnoxious tendency for threads like this to constantly turn to the subject of the United States is that it is what most of the posters know about and most directly relates to them.

I, too, believe that talking about the President of the U.S.' wish to invade Venezuela, which he has expressed multiple times, has nothing to do with Venezuela.:nallears:

Giggle Goose posted:

As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, if the US wanted to "gently caress up Venezuela" they could absolutely destroy whats left of its economy simply by no longer purchasing Venezuelan oil. If they want to gently caress it up so bad, why don't they just do this?

Because loving up Venezuela isn't the actual endgame. The endgame is to establish more favorable trade relations with Venezuela, and have a pro-U.S. person in charge. We just have a pretty long record of turning the countries we do this to into wastelands.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Giggle Goose posted:

because we need oil

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

Fun seeing all the liberal hawks ignore the last 50 years of history because this time it’s different.

Maduro's government is so evil it is rejecting all offers of medical aid or donations of medicine.

That's how bad the situation is. 'It could get even worse' kinda doesn't apply here because everything is at rock bottom.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

because we need oil

The US has got plenty of oil thanks to fracking and such, its part of the reason the oil price collapsed. Venezuelan oil is really lovely and hard to refine, why would the US need it when its got lots of its own oil now?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Pharohman777 posted:

Maduro's government is so evil it is rejecting all offers of medical aid or donations of medicine.

That's how bad the situation is. 'It could get even worse' kinda doesn't apply here because everything is at rock bottom.

Remember, offers of medical aid and donations of medicine are intervention and Maduro is just trying to keep the US from intervening in Venezuela.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

That's not even close to what I was saying. Seriously, I'm perplexed - how are leftists ITT stopping you from doing anything? How are we taking choices away from you?

Keep invading a safe space you are not welcome in with the implicit threat that your dad the military could gently caress our poo poo up at any moment, please.

You are a republican

Themage posted:

No, I’m not. I’m a regular guy, like a lot of people in this thread are. Nevermind that you are using a line used by “race realists” to discount blm protests, I’m sure that you have the best intentions at heart and are “just asking questions”

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pharohman777 posted:

The US has got plenty of oil thanks to fracking and such, its part of the reason the oil price collapsed. Venezuelan oil is really lovely and hard to refine, why would the US need it when its got lots of its own oil now?

Plenty of US refineries still rely on Venezuela crude oil. Fracking is for natural gas.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

THS posted:

because we need oil

the us became a net exporter of oil last year

shale, baby

fnox
May 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

I can't, because back then, when I could participate because I was in country, nobody from the outside backed the opposition. I protested, I was out with my UCV friends, and absolutely nothing happened because international players just downplayed everything and brought us to the standstill we have been in for the past couple of years.

Now, my entire family has been displaced, almost every person that I knew is one of the nearly 3 million Venezuelans that have left the country due to Maduro. For the first time in 40 years, my grandmother can't visit my grandfather's grave on their anniversary, because she now lives in exile, forcibly removed from the country she had called home for the last 86 years because we just can't find medicine for her anymore. So loving excuse me if I wanna take my chances with someone other than that piece of poo poo, but I have a stake in this game greater than just owning some tankies in a dead comedy forum.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Furia posted:

Keep invading a safe space you are not welcome in with the implicit threat that your dad the military could gently caress our poo poo up at any moment, please.

You are a republican

Are you drunk?

karthun posted:

Remember, offers of medical aid and donations of medicine are intervention

To be clear, I don't believe this at all, and I do think Maduro is a horrible, corrupt ghoul. If Venezuelans want to overthrow him, that's 100% their prerogative.

fnox posted:

I can't, because back then, when I could participate because I was in country, nobody from the outside backed the opposition. I protested, I was out with my UCV friends, and absolutely nothing happened because international players just downplayed everything and brought us to the standstill we have been in for the past couple of years.

Now, my entire family has been displaced, almost every person that I knew is one of the nearly 3 million Venezuelans that have left the country due to Maduro. For the first time in 40 years, my grandmother can't visit my grandfather's grave on their anniversary, because she now lives in exile, forcibly removed from the country she had called home for the last 86 years. So loving excuse me if I wanna take my chances with someone other than that piece of poo poo, but I have a stake in this game greater than just owning some tankies in a dead comedy forum.

Okay, well, I'm legit sorry to hear that, that really sucks. But you have to admit, it's not me or leftists on a dead comedy forum keeping you from participating in your country's politics. To put it super-mildly, that's hyperbole.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm a middle class American who has never left the mainland, and I'm going to tell posters who are actually from Venezuela how things in their country really are.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pharohman777 posted:

They sit around defending leaders carrying out Ronald Reagan's dream in terms of economics and social issues in other parts of the world, so of course they also gotta defend people carrying out Ronald Reagan's dream for South American juntas.

Giggle Goose posted:

Not even a matter of not purchasing Venezeulan oil. VZ could get by with that. What would be killer to VZ would be refusing to allow export of refined oil products back to the country, since the country is almost entirely dependent on sourcing refined oil products from US refineries.

Majorian posted:

Because loving up Venezuela isn't the actual endgame. The endgame is to establish more favorable trade relations with Venezuela, and have a pro-U.S. person in charge. We just have a pretty long record of turning the countries we do this to into wastelands.

The US is already entirely free to import the only thing the US wants from the country. The US is also free to export all it wants to VZ more or less, but no one in Venezuela can afford to import anymore if they aren't part of the kleptocracy. Where is the "more favorable trade relations" supposed to come in here?

Also Maduro already turned the country into a wasteland, need we point that out again?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

sorry to hear that, that really sucks. But you have to admit, it's not me or leftists on a dead comedy forum keeping you from participating in your country's politics. To put it super-mildly, that's hyperbole.

If you ever feel like doing the bare minimum as a human being and actually show some loving empathy, I’d like you to know that words have value to the people they are directed at. If minorities repeatedly tell you that what you are saying is loving stupid, your decision to continue to say it is political

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

fishmech posted:

Not even a matter of not purchasing Venezeulan oil. VZ could get by with that. What would be killer to VZ would be refusing to allow export of refined oil products back to the country, since the country is almost entirely dependent on sourcing refined oil products from US refineries.

Which, as you and others have said, occurred because Chavez and his scrub-tier successor never bothered to invest capital into their own refineries when times were flush.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Furia posted:

If you ever feel like doing the bare minimum as a human being and actually show some loving empathy, I’d like you to know that words have value to the people they are directed at. If minorities repeatedly tell you that what you are saying is loving stupid, your decision to continue to say it is political

This is some pretty tortured logic. Saying that Trump shouldn't invade Venezuela is not some sort of microaggression.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hold on hold on; is there officially a coup/civil war going on now? Is the US intervening officially?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Minister of Defense Vladimir Padrino Lopez has sent a tweet backing Maduro:

https://twitter.com/vladimirpadrino/status/1088185917410603008

"The soldiers of the homeland do not accept a president who has been placed by the shadow of obscure interests or self-proclaimed outside of the law."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Does Colombia have a worse human rights record than Venezuela?