Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think other than Bennys Space squad and Apocalypseburg I don't like any of these sets. It's odd because I like almost every set from the first movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

It's even better when you realize it's a glove and you can actually wear it (sort of) infinity gauntlet style.

Well tastes differ, it looks like a waste of 1800+ bricks to me. Not real features outside, dull colour scheme... but YMMV

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Part count on lego sets is super deceptive these days because 90% of them are 1x1 of various types.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I realize the irony in this, with me being a 36 year old Lego man and all, but lmao that the kid on the box is like 17.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

You've done a really good job with clearing those shadows, though! Can you take a pic of how you've positioned your lights next time?

I've just kind of accepted shadows since I usually shoot with only 1 light source, but I soften them by bouncing it off the ceiling. The hardest part for me is always preserving the definition of black pieces on a model that isn't entirely black. The roof rack and tailpipe on this one is a good example:

It took me forever to dial in the lighting and exposure so that those details were still visible, and I still don't LOVE the shot.

Please give us instructions for this. Also are you using Lightroom or Photoshop to edit your photos? They have really easy and robust ways to brighten up dark areas with overexposing the rest of the image.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

xzzy posted:

It's even better when you realize it's a glove and you can actually wear it (sort of) infinity gauntlet style.

I'm going to buy two of them and wear them to work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hopper posted:

Well tastes differ, it looks like a waste of 1800+ bricks to me. Not real features outside, dull colour scheme... but YMMV

The color scheme is what sold me on that and the one in the first wave. While I love those colors, they builds look boring.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I have a feeling the designers changed between films.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The Systar and Rex sets leave me basically entirely cold. But I adore those previous movie sets, especially the stuff where ships and such are cobbled together from weird things and themes. With movie 2 only the Apocalypseburg sets have that same kind of whimsy and creativity to them, imo. I think they're playing too much to the feminine and masculine toy lines idea with the rest of the sets, and I assume the movie is going to be about that split as well.

But the end result is just pretty generic girl and a boy sets, which I find hard to be interested in. :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's no way the movie is going to end with a moral such as "brothers and sisters will never get along." There's going to be a late plot element that forces them to work together to battle some other unknown antagonist.

We also haven't seen the movie yet so who knows what other creations are in there. I predict a big second wave at some point after release.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Carbohydrates posted:

These photos are great! You stepping up your photography made me want to try something new with mine. $6 sheet of glass from Home Depot and $2 worth of poster board from Michaels:

Yo that’s clever!!!

Also; that new spaceship is like... I dunno. But I bet it’s a source of great parts of you need those colors.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

I realize the irony in this, with me being a 36 year old Lego man and all, but lmao that the kid on the box is like 17.

With how big it looks I doubt younger kids would be able to lift that thing. It also owns.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I want to see the back of the box for Rex’s ship. I feel like there’s an inside compartment with a bridge or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have any good tips on polishing scuffed up old windscreen parts?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

6 rapid blasts?

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone have any good tips on polishing scuffed up old windscreen parts?

I don't know about the physical similarities of the materials but I've gotten scuffs out of plexiglass with ultrafine sandpaper (2-3000grit) and water.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^Cool. Might be worth a shot.

Got my cheapo light box in the mail. Probably went a little too cheap on it lol. Took a few of my vic and it's not bad...Not as great as I was hoping, but I guess there's only so much I can do with an iPhone 6 and limited photography talent. Definitely need to learn how to play with the lighting to diffuse it better. Still, it's preferable to taking pictures on my coffee table or with ghetto rigged poster board I guess.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 23, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^^^^^^^

Niiiiiiiice

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

xzzy posted:

There's no way the movie is going to end with a moral such as "brothers and sisters will never get along." There's going to be a late plot element that forces them to work together to battle some other unknown antagonist.

IMO it's gonna be about how there's nothing wrong with playing with 'girls' LEGO' as a boy, or vice versa.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I've rebuilt my light box twice now, hurray for new addictions (and shutdown-induced free time I guess). Once it warms up I'm going to have to try using scrap plywood to make something more sturdy. Right now it's a lovely cardboard box with paper towels to diffuse a set of LED strips on the top and aluminum foil on the insides to bounce the light around a bit. I like that glass trick, I've been trying to do it in Photoshop with low-fill layers flipped vertical and it doesn't come out right.

Had to take a good one of my favorite set.

The new movie is going to hit me right in the feels, again, since my now 11-yo doesn't want to do anything with his sets other than build the minifigs and have fights with them. I ended up giving him all my old non-UCS Star Wars stuff after the first one came out. They're currently in pieces in a box in a storage unit. Now my 7-yo daughter is all into all the Lego Friends stuff. Probably mentioned it before but she helped me build the Docks set last summer and helped with me W2A last week, and already wants to be General Sweet Mayhem for Halloween. At least it'll be an easyish costume.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 23, 2019

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Chairchucker posted:

IMO it's gonna be about how there's nothing wrong with playing with 'girls' LEGO' as a boy, or vice versa.

Yeah, that's almost certain. But I wish they'd find a better way to represent it in sets, other than making some pretty bog standard gender split ones. :shrug:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

These photos are great! You stepping up your photography made me want to try something new with mine. $6 sheet of glass from Home Depot and $2 worth of poster board from Michaels:

This may have been asked already but what bookshelf is that there in the back round? It looks sorta like the Ikea Billy but not quite sure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mattfl posted:

This may have been asked already but what bookshelf is that there in the back round? It looks sorta like the Ikea Billy but not quite sure.

Yeah, looks like the old style Billy with the deeper shelves.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, looks like the old style Billy with the deeper shelves.

drat, does the new style Billy not hold the modulars as well as the old?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can’t personally attest, but apparently there was a recent change where the shelves are now not as deep? All I can find online is that they increased the depth from 10.5 inches to 11 in 2011. Can anyone else weigh in?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t personally attest, but apparently there was a recent change where the shelves are now not as deep? All I can find online is that they increased the depth from 10.5 inches to 11 in 2011. Can anyone else weigh in?

So according to this image

Looks like it's still 11" deep.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And to save people a google, 32 studs is 10 inches (size of a medium baseplate).

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

xzzy posted:

And to save people a google, 32 studs is 10 inches (size of a medium baseplate).

Are you suggesting we don't all know the dimension of a standard baseplate by heart?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I make no assumptions!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp, guess it's time to make an Ikea run, need to better organize my Lego stuff in my room and this would get everything in one spot.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I have a new Billy with glass door and the Diner and Detective Office is sitting in there just fine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Attestant posted:

Yeah, that's almost certain. But I wish they'd find a better way to represent it in sets, other than making some pretty bog standard gender split ones. :shrug:

Maybe Wave 2 (post-movie) will be like, mashup sets where they look cool, but have a mix of pastels and Seahawks colors (lol) and (hopefully) look cooler.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Feenix posted:

Maybe Wave 2 (post-movie) will be like, mashup sets where they look cool, but have a mix of pastels and Seahawks colors (lol) and (hopefully) look cooler.

I hope they do a second w2a type set as that's perhaps my favorite set to build that I've ever done. So enjoyable, so much variety and interesting things going on.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Finally got around to building the popup book, Once upon a Brick. It's gorgeous. It feels really solid and while I was afraid the beanstalk mechanism would be a bit rickety it's really smooth. The kids I work with are going to love it as well. All in all, would definitely recommend, if only for the uniqueness and the wow factor.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Fayez Butts posted:

Please give us instructions for this. Also are you using Lightroom or Photoshop to edit your photos? They have really easy and robust ways to brighten up dark areas with overexposing the rest of the image.
I can make instructions, but I'll warn you now that this build is 100% in "sculpture" territory. It's fragile, the wheels don't turn well, and you have to disassemble a lot of it to get a fig in or out.

I use Photoshop, and yeah I can tweak the black sections, but it'd be better to get it right the first time with proper lighting.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Are people still having problems finding Benny's Space Squad? Because my local target had a huge pile of them just now. The drought might be over, as some predicted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Because shelving/display seems to come up often and is always the same conversation, perhaps a few links in the OP?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Plastik posted:

Are people still having problems finding Benny's Space Squad? Because my local target had a huge pile of them just now. The drought might be over, as some predicted.
It's been available on Shop at Home for a while as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The problem is the scalpers thought right at the start is when it would have value. Had they waited until it was discontinued, then the price would go up and stay up. That pink figure is gonna be $20+ I bet.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem is the scalpers thought right at the start is when it would have value. Had they waited until it was discontinued, then the price would go up and stay up. That pink figure is gonna be $20+ I bet.

It's also possible that Lego has gotten wise to this and has a specific "scalper bait set" distribution, where the first wave is disproportionately small and the second wave unusually slow, to get scalpers thinking that they're in for another Monsters Zombie situation and whip up a buying frenzy before stocking shelves to capacity.

Also, the fist-spaceship was on the shelf and I got to see first-hand the glory of the dinosaur-driven miniships. It is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

Because shelving/display seems to come up often and is always the same conversation, perhaps a few links in the OP?
Update my OP that I haven't touched in nearly a decade? Ugh, so demanding