Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My theory is that Funko Pops are the result of an experiment where some scientists hypothesized that nerds would buy absolutely anything as long as it referenced anime/comics/etc, but they waited too long to reveal the joke and publish their findings and now it would be super awkward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh you did not jus diss Hifumi's dorky rear end sweater.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Funko pops "work" inasmuch as they cater to literally every fandom possible at a price point that makes it cheap to manufacturer and acquire. There will be a layer of organic molecules that millions of years from now future saurid geologists will be puzzling over as to what biological activity deposited it, and that'll be everyone's Funko pops accreting into a geological strata.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I just don't understand them. The faces look terrible so if I care about the character's face I don't want it. If the outfit matters their bodies are tiny and overshadowed by the terrible head/face. Morgana is the only one of those I would consider but then I remember it's Morgana.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I actually bought that Morgana Nendoroid and it's dope, I just leave it in his All-out Attack pose

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Apples and Oranges, Arist

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm surprised Akechi is actually dead.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, Nendoroids actually look decent - unfortunately they're pricey and don't do more obscure fandoms (I'd kill for a Raidou one)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just made the mistake of looking up some more Nendoroids and I immediately saw Jotaro

and Alphonse Elric

and a BotW Guardian

and Makoto

and like eight more I want

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Farseli posted:

I just don't understand them. The faces look terrible so if I care about the character's face I don't want it. If the outfit matters their bodies are tiny and overshadowed by the terrible head/face. Morgana is the only one of those I would consider but then I remember it's Morgana.

Same. Having worked NYCC for the past 9 years, I've seen the obsession with them by some attendees grow way out of control, and lately there hasn't been a year without some sort of mob at the con going all out to find the rare convention exclusives or whatever. Yeah, I actually own one, but only because I bought it for $5 off of a friend to help them get rid of stuff for quick cash when she was moving across the country.

Like, this year, there was supposedly a booth selling a Gold Vegeta one or something, only they never showed day of, and it was our Info Booth Staff that had to tell them all they weren't here, take down names with which to contact said retailer, and find some way to get them distributed when they did show up. They never did lol, probably because they got their locations mixed up and set up in the main area of the Javits instead of our out of the way Anime Expo cash in con location 20 blocks north. Man, that sucked.

Arist posted:

I actually bought that Morgana Nendoroid and it's dope, I just leave it in his All-out Attack pose

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, Nendoroids actually look decent - unfortunately they're pricey and don't do more obscure fandoms (I'd kill for a Raidou one)

Yeah, this. I'd actually buy nendroids, if only they weren't so pricey and stuff like crane game figs so much cheaper to buy at cons and such.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
I went looking for nendos recently and it seems like Good Smile only sells them on an individual basis via time-limited preorders, so anyone who misses the window for a particular one needs to find it through a different retailer or scalpers on eBay or whatever? (Correct me if I'm wrong because I, too, would love an adorable BotW Guardian.)

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Funko Pops are just Precious Moments figures for nerds :colbert:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Miz Kriss posted:

Funko Pops are just Precious Moments figures for nerds :colbert:
Wasted Moments

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Arist posted:

I’ve got my hands full dealing with my own life. Good luck to them, I guess.

Oh, you didn’t think I would? Sorry, but I know about most things. ...Take care. It’s an unfortunate truth, but the kinds of adults the Phantom Thieves despised… they’re everywhere. Even when you return home, I’m sure you’ll find plenty there. ...Don’t be influenced by terrible adults.

No one wants to grow old, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It’s up to young people to take action and change the world, right? I think I’m able to sit back and just enjoy watching that now.

I hope the lessons of this year remain within the hearts of the young for the rest of their lives.

Did something happen? Well, the world won’t be changed so easily. That kind of work is a job for young people…

While I know the writing has been consistent that most adults are useless or malicious, there's something about these bits that just rubs me the wrong way. The whole "the youths need to be the ones to change the future now while the adults look on" is ignoring that adults also need to get off their asses and help out if they want the future to change for the better.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

amigolupus posted:

While I know the writing has been consistent that most adults are useless or malicious, there's something about these bits that just rubs me the wrong way. The whole "the youths need to be the ones to change the future now while the adults look on" is ignoring that adults also need to get off their asses and help out if they want the future to change for the better.

i feel like the game keeps flip flopping between the youth are the hope but also just leave it to the adults

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I still don't understand why we couldn't have a story where we learn that there are just terrible people, both young and old, and it takes good people standing up for what's right in general than one or the other sitting on their rear end and ignoring everything.

...Oh wait then we'd have to make Tora a main character, and he's not hot enough to make into super sexy dolls and figurines.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Funko pops always felt like the hot topic store of collectibles. You know it's all cheap garbage from other content, but people buy it anyway.

amigolupus posted:

To give the game the benefit of the doubt, there are quite a few people who think like this. But on the other hand it's really funny that we just got through an arch about the public being guilty of inaction (or something along those lines) and then we get dialogue like this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tora being the main character would be 100% acceptable.

I can't hate the writing in this game because some of the confidants are just fantastic. There are seeds of a much better written story in a bunch of those characters.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Charlett posted:

...Oh wait then we'd have to make Tora a main character, and he's not hot enough to make into super sexy dolls and figurines.

maybe in your eyes :wiggle:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder what kind of Persona and costume Tora would have if he was a Phantom Thief.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder what kind of Persona and costume Tora would have if he was a Phantom Thief.

there's art of that somewhere, i think it was linked earlier in the thread

p sure his persona was actually hercules

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

maybe in your eyes :wiggle:

I second this motion!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Hey we need a greco-roman themed thief to name our politician's secret identity after."
"Well, there's Prometheus, the Titan that stole fire from the gods to give to humans."
"Got it, Titan."
"That's not what I said."
"And his Persona is a giant flaming goat centaur named Odysseus."
"That's even less correct."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 23, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

"Hey we need a greco-roman themed thief to name our politician's secret identity after."
"Well, there's Prometheus, the Titan that stole fire from the gods to give to humans."
"Got it, Titan."
"And his Persona is Odysseus."

Odysseus as a legendary trickster does make a lot of sense though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Forum fuckery led to a double post.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
To an extent, I mostly just think of him as a Legendary rear end in a top hat. The only person he tricked was Polyphemus.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kurieg posted:

"Got it, Titan."
"And his Persona is a giant flaming goat centaur named Odysseus."

pretty sure the "centaur" bit on that design is a trojan horse reference

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

To an extent, I mostly just think of him as a Legendary rear end in a top hat. The only person he tricked was Polyphemus.

"Haha, you dumb rear end in a top hat. IT WAS ME, ODYSSEUS! oh gently caress you're related to Poseidon and I'm on the ocean oh gently caress oh gently caress." is one of my favorite moments of hubris ever.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Night10194 posted:

"Haha, you dumb rear end in a top hat. IT WAS ME, ODYSSEUS! oh gently caress you're related to Poseidon and I'm on the ocean oh gently caress oh gently caress." is one of my favorite moments of hubris ever.

yep, honestly there's bits where he could've gotten home a lot sooner if he either told his crew what's up ("hey don't open that bag, it keeps the winds that would've blown us off course contained), or again - not announcing his name.

Honestly it would fit Tora's adult arc that he got cocky and lost his way, and then he had to build himself back up after losing everything.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kurieg posted:

He tricked the suitors that were harassing his wife and abusing sacred hospitality in his home by letting them think he was just a beggar before he reclaimed his legendary bow and murdered the poo poo out of all of them.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
So I get the idea that it’s a parting and should be kinda bittersweet, but Maaku is going to be gone for like, a year, tops, because gently caress living anywhere in Japan that isn’t Tokyo.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Rogue 7 posted:

So I get the idea that it’s a parting and should be kinda bittersweet, but Maaku is going to be gone for like, a year, tops, because gently caress living anywhere in Japan that isn’t Tokyo.

Future spin offs will reveal that like Yu, he comes back every few weeks because he has 0 hometown friends to spend vacations or long weekends with. And by coincidence some entity is always organizing a fighting tournament or something in a randomly reformed mementos at the same time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maaku's parents are going to ship him back to Tokyo within an hour of his return.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Funky Valentine posted:

Maaku's parents are going to ship him back to Tokyo within an hour of his return.

Maaku's gonna return with a stamp on his forehead that reads "RETURN TO SENDER"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

He’ll arrive home only to find a notice on the door from his parents telling him they moved to Tokyo and here’s their new address.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How many Persona 3 and onwards characters have parents that show up onscreen? I want to say Yukiko and, uh...

That's it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kanji has a mom

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How many Persona 3 and onwards characters have parents that show up onscreen? I want to say Yukiko and, uh...

That's it?

Haru's dad is one of the heists; Futaba's mom shows up as a cognition in her Palace and Sojiro is her adoptive dad.

It's pretty common for kids in fiction to have parents who are dead, absent, abusive, or otherwise ineffectual. Let's face it: a decent parent would never let their kid go off on crazy adventures. Authors need to get the parents out of the picture somehow because God knows you don't want to read about kids NOT having crazy adventures!

VVVV If we're counting non-party characters, we also meet Shinya's mom and Hifumi's mom. VVV

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ryotaro Dojima, Nanako's dad, starts off a poo poo parent, but gets better over the course of the game (his massive fumble in arresting his nephew not withstanding).

Also, Hanged Man from 3, Tower from 4, and Tower from 5 also have parents show up on screen. And Temperance from 4 is a step-mother.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 24, 2019