Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Obsoleting Sigmund Freud
Betazoid Betazoid
Understands alien ploys
Betazoid Betazoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tunicate posted:

It's the candy you whistle.

Delta Flyer, Delta Delta Flyer
Oh, you pretty Delta Flyer
Delta Delta Flyer
We love you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Embarking on what will likely be a several year task of rewatching all things Trek. Hey, I got all these complete season blu-ray and dvd box sets for like $15 or $20 each for Prime Day this past year.

One thing I've noticed about TOS is that the captain's log entries clearly happen AFTER the fact since they give information that they don't actually know at the time. They got away from that in TNG when they were usually just stating what was happening at the time.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

.One thing I've noticed about TOS is that the captain's log entries clearly happen AFTER the fact since they give information that they don't actually know at the time. They got away from that in TNG when they were usually just stating what was happening at the time.

"Captain's Log. We are under attack by Klingons. Meanwhile, the alien being known as Mar-tu is holding my ship hostage, threatening to destroy us unless we take him to the Hobus Array....a demand with which I cannot comply, because, it he gets to the Array, he will use it to enslave the galaxy.

Meanwhile, instead of dealing with either of these things, I am dictating the ship's log, which is really not the best use of my time, to be honest.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Captains log. During an away mission on Kaled V, I was ambushed by several political dissidents and took a disruptor blast directly to my chest. Despite the efforts of our chief medical officer, I died on the operating table at 0800 hours. This will be my final entry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spacebump posted:

I watched the first episode of TNG season 2 and wtf. Deanna Troi gets raped by some kind of light, gives birth to the light posing as her fast aging child, and then it flies away. Only Worf seems to think anything is wrong with this. I don't think this episode could be made in 2019.

At least she didn't fall in love with and marry the fast-ageing child and leave the show.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Captain's log, stardate 49364.2

Commander Data has, once again, gained emotions and is currently holding the Enterprise hostage, demanding all 5,678 personnel praise his cat, Spot XIII. This is the sixth time in as many months. He refuses to acknowledge the reduced crew numbers due to our recent catastrophic encounter with the Ark'besh, nor does he accept that Commander Worf is no longer posted to the Enterprise. I have sent an emergency message to Deep Space Nine, requesting Mr. Worf be allowed a furlough from his duties to return here to lavish unwarranted praise upon the parasitic feline. Unfortunately, the Defiant is on a mission to the Gamma Quadrant, so we must abide this act of terrorism until their return.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s biggest sin is its blandness. So many episodes are irrelevant and I would struggle to remember.

It also has fewer strong main characters compared to its predecessors. Most Doctor-centric episodes are good, but can you remember a single one centered around Harry? Probably not.

The one where he gets an STD.

Uhhh... uhhh... Well I got one.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

The one where he gets an STD. And the one where he tries to have a foursome with some succubi.

Beaten by a couple pages.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 23, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh the San Francisco one with the girlfriend. Alternate timeline I think?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The one where he gets stranded halfway to the alpha quadrant when he fails to make calculations for the experimental slipstream drive quickly enough.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

Harry wakes up back in San Fran and is designing a shuttle and no one else knows he was ever gone

Harry makes out with a cow

gently caress off with this poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh hey, a new one.

https://twitter.com/TNG_S8/status/1087946917357719553

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Senor Tron posted:

Oh, you pretty Delta Flyer
Delta Delta Flyer
We love you.

Life forms...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Huh, I really thought whoever runs that account was done with it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo.

what, just Voyager in general?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Huh, I really thought whoever runs that account was done with it

Mike McMahon (Rick and Morty / New Star Trek animated show in development) runs the account.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Spacebump posted:

I watched the first episode of TNG season 2 and wtf. Deanna Troi gets raped by some kind of light, gives birth to the light posing as her fast aging child, and then it flies away. Only Worf seems to think anything is wrong with this. I don't think this episode could be made in 2019.

Pakled posted:

Yeah, welcome to the Writer's Strike season. That episode was recycled from a script that had been written for Star Trek Phase 2, a show featuring Kirk & co that was in development in the 70's that never materialized.

So, Kirk gets raped by some kind of light, gives birth to the light posing as his fast aging child, and then it flies away. Only Scotty seems to think anything is wrong with this?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ilia from TMP is Troi

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lemming posted:

Life forms...

You tiny little life forms...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

skasion posted:

Ilia from TMP is Troi

Right down to the incredibly lazy names for their planet of origin.

"She's an alien from... um... Delta."

"She's an alien from... um... Beta Z."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nobody got my Avengers comics reference, did you?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Cessna posted:

So, Kirk gets raped by some kind of light, gives birth to the light posing as his fast aging child, and then it flies away. Only Scotty seems to think anything is wrong with this?

Ilya, but yes. The other new character created for Phase II was Xon, the Vulcan science officer. (Paramount and Nimoy were fighting over merchandising revenues).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nobody got my Avengers comics reference, did you?

I got it. I just don't comment on everything.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Angry Salami posted:

I mean...one is named Troi (Troy) and the other is Ilia (Iliad), so...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Phylodox posted:

Motherfucker.

That's painful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So the Betazoids are Greek. Never really thought about it but, yeah.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Right, so the councilor has a face that can launch a thousand (star)ships, and the doctor has the walk of a striptease queen.

Also, the councilor is submissive; I mean, she ain't from Alphazed, am I right?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brawnfire posted:

They get married naked.... the greeks had a thing for nudity... my god

*stands back from corkboard*

my god

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
and both were invaded by the dominion

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Phylodox posted:

Ouch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

my god

Can we talk about the subspace mail? I've been DYING to talk about the mail. All this mail addressed to "Fred Ration". Fred Ration, Fred Ration who is he??? So I walk up to starfleet human resources to find this Fred Ration. The man does not exist, this entire starbase is a ghost town!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Can we talk about the subspace mail? I've been DYING to talk about the mail. All this mail addressed to "Fred Ration". Fred Ration, Fred Ration who is he??? So I walk up to starfleet human resources to find this Fred Ration. The man does not exist, this entire starbase is a ghost town!

Caaaarol! Caaaroll! Carol Marcus!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

HD DAD posted:

and both were invaded by the dominion

And Shepherd's ship on Babylon 5 was the Agamemnon, which makes perfect sense when you understand just how much red yarn and thumbtacks I bought at Michael's last week

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

what, just Voyager in general?

With the Misogyny, you twit. We can poo poo on Voyager without being lovely to people.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Zesty posted:

With the Misogyny, you twit. We can poo poo on Voyager without being lovely to people.

I think "Harry Kim makes out with a cow" was meant literally.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Yeah, I'm with you in spirit, but you're barking up the wrong tree here, friend

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Udderly moo-sogynistic bullshit.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angry Salami posted:

"Beta Z = "Beta Zed" :aaa:

Brawnfire posted:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

my god

:aaaaa:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, I'm with you in spirit, but you're barking up the wrong tree here, friend

My mistake. Thought you were talking about the SF Alternate Reality episode. Hear so much of it anymore. Just done letting it go. Sorry about that, Bloop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

My mistake. Thought you were talking about the SF Alternate Reality episode. Hear so much of it anymore. Just done letting it go. Sorry about that, Bloop.

We cool. Keep fighting the good fight though, honestly. I was just confused