Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Everyone that doesn't agree with me is loving retarded, the most casual of opinions.

You really take this posting thing seriously, don't you?

Anyway, since all posts are literally taken at face value on this dead comedy forum, I suppose I should explicitly state that I don't actually think people who think story matters in videogames are actually retarded. I enjoy a fair amount of videogame stories myself. I just thought being humorously callous was kind of appropriate in a thread where people are supposed to be stating/defending unpopular opinions.

Apologies to any retards who were offended by my previous statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
stories in games are dumb, just read a book. graphics too, just look at a painting! The only games worth playing are pure mechanical masterpieces like Nethack

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
No games are worth playing because existence is pointless drivel and we should all strive to die as soon as possible

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ASenileAnimal posted:

i made it about 6 or 7 hours into final fantasy 13 and some overly dramatic song with singing kicked in and i made the biggest :chloe: face and turned it off. never bothered playing it again.

I'm also tempted to say games should never have voice acting either since it always makes me go :how: pretty badly and adds nothing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Picture books are the highest form of art

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I'm also tempted to say games should never have voice acting either since it always makes me go :how: pretty badly and adds nothing

No way the best version of the mass effect series is renegade femshep, and it'd be worse without a good VA

But in like 99% of cases yeah its bad

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They should just use Text to Speech bots for the voiced dialogue, save a lot of money

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Voice-acting can be fine if it's cheesy or appropriate. In the DMC universe conversations rarely last more than a few minutes before a big sword gets pulled out demons start getting their heads busted. It's also very very silly when it tries to be serious. Either way you spend a fraction of the time listening to the characters compared to playing the game. Silent Hill has some mega-awkward voice-acting but the situations in the games themselves are so weird that such a reaction (stilted speech etc.) could be believable

VA is absolutely terrible for many localized JRPG's. It was bad back then too, but now every game has VA and it's the same 4 or 5 people do the same 3 or 4 characters except with maybe a lisp or a growl or something. I'm playing through a Tales game with a friend and all the English VA's are so bad. I'm sure the Japanese version is better but I always preferred to read through conversations at my own speed.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Twelve Batmans posted:

Voice-acting can be fine if it's cheesy or appropriate. In the DMC universe conversations rarely last more than a few minutes before a big sword gets pulled out demons start getting their heads busted. It's also very very silly when it tries to be serious. Either way you spend a fraction of the time listening to the characters compared to playing the game. Silent Hill has some mega-awkward voice-acting but the situations in the games themselves are so weird that such a reaction (stilted speech etc.) could be believable

VA is absolutely terrible for many localized JRPG's. It was bad back then too, but now every game has VA and it's the same 4 or 5 people do the same 3 or 4 characters except with maybe a lisp or a growl or something. I'm playing through a Tales game with a friend and all the English VA's are so bad. I'm sure the Japanese version is better but I always preferred to read through conversations at my own speed.

So you think game stories are pointless but play JRPGs and listen to all the dialog

what

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sardonik posted:

So you think game stories are pointless but play JRPGs and listen to all the dialog

what

I didn't say they were pointless, just that they aren't important to making a good game. You can still have a good story in a game and many do. I thought I explained earlier that I was partially joking. I don't know how many times that needs to be walked back to.

And no, I don't listen to the dialog normally. I even said in that post I prefer to click through and read at my own speed. I am sitting through the dialog because I'm playing with a friend who wants to hear it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

stories in games are dumb, just read a book. graphics too, just look at a painting! The only games worth playing are pure mechanical masterpieces like Nethack

The only games worth playing are those that exist in your head

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The worst are games with unskippable cutscenes. I don't care. Let me play the game first and let me figure out if I wanna care about the story.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Has anyone posted "do pursue Lu Bu" yet? Because occasionally feeling like a peon in a game filled with worthless peons is refreshing and good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Here's a truth missile for your fuckin' brains: video games are fun and cool forms of entertainment but if you look too closely at them, like any entertainment medium, it's pointless, shallow and empty.

Like everything else in life, forever.

Anyways here's an opinion: MMOs are fun ways to play co-operative RPGs with lots of people.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

No way the best version of the mass effect series is renegade femshep, and it'd be worse without a good VA

But in like 99% of cases yeah its bad

Yeah I love the Deus Ex voice acting but my main gripe with it usually is that it wastes time. Text conveys things faster. I'm in general against anything that takes time and removes player input, like long animations or dialogue.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

QuarkJets posted:

Aside from not really playing like DMC at all and having a way better story, yeah

Also it’s not even really steampunk unless I’m forgetting something.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Aside from not really playing like DMC at all and having a way better story, yeah

It plays more like DMC than possibly any other game created, lol. Fast action, gun and sword, emphasis on offensive combos and dodging.

Also if by way better story you mean vague bullshit, yeah.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Hahahahah

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

christmas boots posted:

When you start out it's kiiiinda steampunk.

And then you meet/learn of The Powder Kegs and yeah it's steampunk.

As far as it being a rip-off of DMC though? I dunno. Gothic horror monsters weird weapons are there, but everything else is completely different. The point of DMC is that Dante is unstoppable and he only dies because you failed in controlling him as the player. Cutscene Dante regularly shrugs off getting impaled by his own sword as a running gag. If you control Dante correctly you have complete control of the situation. But it takes a lot of practice to be that good.

The point of Bloodborne is that you basically have little to no control over the hosed up multi-dimensional Lovecraftian nightmare cocoon forming around you. The bosses are hosed up and can sometimes be pretty cheap and outright destroy you without proper planning or following known tactics (and even then you can get unlucky). At its peak it's nowhere near as difficult as DMC or the good 3D NG games, but it certainly has some frustrating parts.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I love the Deus Ex voice acting but my main gripe with it usually is that it wastes time. Text conveys things faster. I'm in general against anything that takes time and removes player input, like long animations or dialogue.

speedrunner trap sprung

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lambert posted:

The Last Guardian is a masterpiece, so I guess they were justified in doing that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Twelve Batmans posted:

When you start out it's kiiiinda steampunk.

And then you meet/learn of The Powder Kegs and yeah it's steampunk.

As far as it being a rip-off of DMC though? I dunno. Gothic horror monsters weird weapons are there, but everything else is completely different. The point of DMC is that Dante is unstoppable and he only dies because you failed in controlling him as the player. Cutscene Dante regularly shrugs off getting impaled by his own sword as a running gag. If you control Dante correctly you have complete control of the situation. But it takes a lot of practice to be that good.

The point of Bloodborne is that you basically have little to no control over the hosed up multi-dimensional Lovecraftian nightmare cocoon forming around you. The bosses are hosed up and can sometimes be pretty cheap and outright destroy you without proper planning or following known tactics (and even then you can get unlucky). At its peak it's nowhere near as difficult as DMC or the good 3D NG games, but it certainly has some frustrating parts.

It’s hella Victorian, but I guess I got more of a gothic horror vibe than a steam punk one. Usually steampunk involves more pipes and such.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Last Guardian was so good, i truly believe that you are completely bitchmade if you don't think its great.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lambert posted:

The Last Guardian is a masterpiece, so I guess they were justified in doing that.

masterpiece of poo poo!

Anyway for the past couple of years I've almost exclusively been playing games that are five or more years old on my computer that could run anything. Insurgency, co-op Starcraft 2, Company of Heroes 2, old wrestling games. Not even very good games in most cases. New games are just the shits. I think the problem is that a lot of the newer stuff doesn't have replayability and wants to let you know how much they spent on design. I don't really care, as it turns out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

masterpiece of poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlDpDr2gQYI

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Has anyone posted "do pursue Lu Bu" yet? Because occasionally feeling like a peon in a game filled with worthless peons is refreshing and good.

i always peruse Lu Bu, and i kick his rear end :smug:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Videogame music should never have lyrics

The One Must Fall soundtrack is the platonic ideal of videogame music

How dare you disrespect the Celes opera scene.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Caesar Saladin posted:

Last Guardian was so good, i truly believe that you are completely bitchmade if you don't think its great.

Remember when last guardian came out and then no one talked about it ever again after a week

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Protags in TeamICO games can take some falls I tell ya whut.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

Remember when last guardian came out and then no one talked about it ever again after a week

It came out and all the people who bitched for years that it would never come out threw themselves into oncoming traffic while the rest of us played an amazing game.

:byewhore:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

you sound like a real catch

Shibawanko posted:

games should never have voice acting. not only it adds very little (I wouldn't say "nothing") but it arguably limits games a lot

jokes posted:

Like everything else in life, forever.

this is a terrible way to live

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 24, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

hackbunny posted:

you sound like a real catch

games should never have voice acting. not only it adds very little (I wouldn't say "nothing") but it arguably limits games a lot

this is a terrible way to live

Play the original Resident Evil and tell me how the game is improved w/o voice acting

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Twelve Batmans posted:

. Where the comparison diverges is that a bad story cannot affect a game with tight responsive game-play and rewarding mechanics for people who are into games for what games are.

Fire emblem: fates had good gameplay and an absolutely atrocious story that makes playing them a chore.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They need to make more Twisted Metal games, why don’t they make more Twisted Metal games

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Vegetable posted:

They need to make more Twisted Metal games, why don’t they make more Twisted Metal games

Because no one wants to take a chance on vehicular combat games anymore for some reason.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I think it's been said a bunch of times already, but RDR 2 just didn't do it for me, and I loved both Revolver and RDR 1. Probably because it felt too driven on rails. I enjoyed the new God of War way more.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I think it's been said a bunch of times already, but RDR 2 just didn't do it for me, and I loved both Revolver and RDR 1. Probably because it felt too driven on rails. I enjoyed the new God of War way more.

they got greedy with the micro transactions in the multiplayer mode

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vegetable posted:

Because people realized its just a lame edgy version of the mario kart arena mode

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Away all Goats posted:

Because people realized its just a lame edgy version of the mario kart arena mode

For some reason I thought you were talking about RDR2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Away all Goats posted:

otoh destruction derby was great. why don't they make more of those