Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
That Trump wants the wall to be transparent so that people on the good side can see and dodge the drugs being catapulted over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
smoothrich

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Was that laughing at Ellison asserting that Trump could be the Republican nominee? The fact that everyone who predicted Trump was mocked and sidelined has been mostly memory holed. Now so many people try to say they saw it coming.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

A Bag of Milk posted:

Was that laughing at Ellison asserting that Trump could be the Republican nominee

Yea

Variation on that gif is also the Punishment Reason for most of the Toxx bans from the election iirc

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/180375447572463618?s=20

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Someone in the Steam thread offered $20 bets on the election to anyone willing, and eventually ended up with about $500 riding on Trump getting elected.

TheSkeletonMan
Feb 24, 2011

exmarx posted:

prime minister got wasted and called a snap election (which he lost)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLDve40cxlk

https://m.imgur.com/t/funny/1pwb6o5

TheSkeletonMan has issued a correction as of 10:11 on Jan 23, 2019

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
just remembered trump saying "Puerto... Rico" lmao

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just remembered trump saying "Puerto... Rico" lmao

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/916369824611217408

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

ikanreed posted:

No, nor does anyone who talks about "Western culture" read any of the enlightenment thinkers. Maybe the Wikipedia summary of John Locke
now i'm remembering the anti-fascist writer who went undercover with the alt-right in New York, and when he asked someone who bloviated on protecting Western culture what his favorite poem, book, and symphony were, the guy just answered 'Metallica'

wait, I found the article

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

When photos of the leader of Austria's far-right FPÖ doing a neo-Nazi variation of the Nazi salute surfaced in 2007, the FPÖ's spokesman Karl Heinz Grünsteidl sent out this press release in the middle of the night:

this is a genuine press release by one of Austria's largest political parties posted:

Grünsteidl: Intellectually questionable Fellner press

Somebody's probably seen too many episodes of Chaos City

Vienna (OTS) - "Intellectually questionable." This is how the famous FPÖ spokesman Karl Heinz Grünsteidl condemned the latest outpourings of the Fellner press.

"I am really used to a lot from my career as FPÖ press spokesman", said Grünsteidl. "And I also know some journalists who now have to work for the Fellner press for economic reasons. Nevertheless, one should stick to the truth instead of trying to see how many copies can be sold."

Grünsteidl called the excitement about the Strache photos completely absurd. "On the one hand I feel reminded of the US series 'Flash Gordon', on the other hand of James Joyce and his student Samuel Beckett. That's not meant positively."

To quote Jean-Paul Sartre: "The Kingdom of Man has begun." That's what it's all about : the Kingdom of Man. It's about mankind per se. This is what we advocate, in all our admittedly intellectual dubiety. But this is precisely why we are forcing the question of man.

This is exactly what the FPÖ stands for, says Grünsteidl. "The Kingdom of Man has begun. The FPÖ stands for the fact that people do not mutate into inferior goods, as is the case in the science fiction film "Gattaca". "Mankind," says Grünsteidl, "must not degenerate into a genetic experiment. The FPÖ is therefore opposed to genetic experiments of any kind: "The musings of Michel Houellebecq certainly have their charm," says Grünsteidl. "But in reality they are only meant to increase the circulation of his books. The water was cold back then. Now it's lukewarm, at best."

Grünsteidl now lights a cigarette. Gauloises rouge. Who cares? Because Grünsteidl press spokesman of the FPÖ - does a lot of things. He smokes. And drinks everything, except alcohol. Cola light rules!

That's Steidl (ready for retirement, since today at the latest) On the other hand: Maybe I am Michael J. Fox or Charlie Sheen...

PS: If any fascinating rich young woman is interested in me, please let me know as soon as possible!

For the translation I actually had to remove a bunch of typos and grammar mistakes, too. Fuckin' legend.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The leader of fascist Austria was 4'10" and dressed like a complete dork

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

MikeCrotch posted:

The leader of fascist Austria was 4'10" and dressed like a complete dork
How not to talk to Engelbert Dollfuss:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Everyone who talks about fascists as snappy dressers never mentions the trousers

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
remember when SA had a hardon for ron paul circa 2007

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Admiral Bosch posted:

:evil:

Even the smilie is still here

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Banksy showed up in the West Bank and sprayed some graffiti on the Israeli border wall in a bid to get kudos for being an activist, except the Palestinians told him to go gently caress himself because he scribbled on a wall they want blown up.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Banksy showed up in the West Bank and sprayed some graffiti on the Israeli border wall in a bid to get kudos for being an activist, except the Palestinians told him to go gently caress himself because he scribbled on a wall they want blown up.

remember Banksy's Dismaland hahahaha

and this old friend I stumbled upon

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKsoXHYICqU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Admiral Bosch posted:

the puppy era of d&d

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A Handed Missus posted:

remember Banksy's Dismaland hahahaha

Dismaland loving ruled.

client
Aug 19, 2010

like 2 years later that girl got paid $25,000 by this kentucky lawyer eric conn to do a music video lobbying obama to appoint him to the social security advisory board. eric conn later admitted to defrauding social security for half a billion dollars and then jumped bail only to get busted at a pizza hut

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ZxJVnM5Gs

I can still vaguely remember there being a contigent of people arguing this wasn't awkward/weird lol

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
in hindsight trump was the only respectable choice

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

god I forgot how pathetically desperate that was of Cruz

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
it's actually really weird how much the kids who would have been mercilessly picked on rise to the top in American politics and charismatic, likeable people are not the norm

then again it takes a certain kind of personality to want to meet with lobbyists all day while deciding the fates of millions

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Admiral Bosch posted:

It makes sense when you consider that he was the only one at the time saying "drugs are cool and the forever war is bullshit."

Then people realized they could get that poo poo from leftism without buying into purestrain gold.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Modest Mao posted:

it's actually really weird how much the kids who would have been mercilessly picked on rise to the top in American politics and charismatic, likeable people are not the norm

then again it takes a certain kind of personality to want to meet with lobbyists all day while deciding the fates of millions

It was the kids who would've been picked on if they weren't so rich and went to school with other rich shithead kids. Remember, they're not commoners - they're american aristocracy.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Modest Mao posted:

the thing is you have to be a psycho (or a true believer, but those are rare these days) to pursue a career in politics in the first place. its an incredibly hellish job where you have to deal with constant scrutiny and being pulled in a thousand different directions, all the while having to constantly prject this perfect but completely fake persona. cool normal people dont wanna deal with that poo poo

babypolis has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Jan 24, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ergqF8S2cNo&t=29s

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Modest Mao posted:

It's weird until you look at the underlying mechanisms that feed candidates to higher office.

I don't have a direct statistic but I'd wager that the number of truly competitive general election races is shockingly small, and that for most elections, the primary for the incumbent party is in effect deciding who will be elected because of overwhelming partisan lean.

Those races favor a certain kind of turbonerd who gets super involved in boring local politics and makes connections with the other nerds who vote in primary elections. And while it's possible to jump directly up to higher level races, it's exceedingly rare to do so without being involved in boring, behind the scenes party bullshit.

The system selects from that group those who can fundraise well, so you get an awful lot of nerdy, awkward politicians who are at least willing to hold their nose and call donors to beg for cash, and pushes out anyone not willing to do so long before they get to the national stage.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Retromancer posted:

It makes sense when you consider that he was the only one at the time saying "drugs are cool and the forever war is bullshit."

Then people realized they could get that poo poo from leftism without buying into purestrain gold.

it me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just remembered that time trump said he met with the president of the virgin islands

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Pretty much any speech Obama gave in 2008 is pretty lol in tyool 2019

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Retromancer posted:

how soon we forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Homeless Friend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ZxJVnM5Gs

I can still vaguely remember there being a contigent of people arguing this wasn't awkward/weird lol

Well, if you hadn't actually seen that, and went on common sense alone, you wouldn't believe that a sip of water, no matter how awkward, could ruin one's career.