Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think that's been in for a good while at the least even if it wasn't in from launch, i know i was benefiting from it forever ago. it basically is a mad dash to get as much cash as you can before something inevitably goes bad.

on an unrelated topic, i've been messing with being a dancer and i hope i'm doing what i'm supposed to? i'm focusing on heart, turned 2-3 health into +heart scars, vomited up a snake, and assume maybe i need to go up to the next tier of dancing by auditioning with my physique to get things further along the way. i can pretty reliably hit 11 heart with my dances as a baseline but i figure i need more going on. almost feel like i'm spinning my wheels a little but at the least the occult funmoney and occasional books from doing it have been somewhat lucrative.

Bring the snake to Kerisham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ThaumPenguin posted:

Bring the snake to Kerisham

nice, thanks! i kind of assumed i needed to do something with that given the descriptions involved and whatnot but as is usual with this game i get easily sidetracked and hadn't fully pieced that bit together.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Speedball posted:

I'm on the board of directors of Glover and Glover. Is that new? I make money hand over fist but while working there's a magnet slot for notoriety, in other words, I need to keep my nose clean. Hm.

it's not new, but there was always a fairly specific way or incredible luck with the RNG to get there IIRC.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think that's been in for a good while at the least even if it wasn't in from launch, i know i was benefiting from it forever ago. it basically is a mad dash to get as much cash as you can before something inevitably goes bad.

on an unrelated topic, i've been messing with being a dancer and i hope i'm doing what i'm supposed to? i'm focusing on heart, turned 2-3 health into +heart scars, vomited up a snake, and assume maybe i need to go up to the next tier of dancing by auditioning with my physique to get things further along the way. i can pretty reliably hit 11 heart with my dances as a baseline but i figure i need more going on. almost feel like i'm spinning my wheels a little but at the least the occult funmoney and occasional books from doing it have been somewhat lucrative.

You will send that skake with a certain expedition. Giving Mrs. S a lore snippet will have her share the location with you. Higher level dance forms will require heart influences.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Truga posted:

it's not new, but there was always a fairly specific way or incredible luck with the RNG to get there IIRC.

It's been in since launch, and the fast way is to kill your way up with some edge minions.

I'm going to say, again, that painting is a much, much better way to make money. It has (I'm fairly certain) the greatest return on your time AND it generates glimmerings AND it gives you another way to delay the cooldown on influences/summons AND gives you a way to conjure artefacts out of thin air. Nothing else has anything like that much utility.

The only problem is the RSI.

New content strategy thoughts:

I'm thinking the best strategy here is to focus down your highest available tier of expeditions ASAP- the longer you take the worse things are going to get, so you want to be drawing higher-tier lores directly rather than trying to combine your way up the ladder. Also, Frangiclave is hanging out in the Wreck of the Christabel these days...

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I haven't played in a while so this might have already been changed, but I wish there was a more efficient way to trade in spintrias for regular cash, the auction is really slow

Like I always just end up with a pile of iron spintrias because they're not really useful for anything, and certainly not cost-effective enough to occupy the Explore slot for as long as they do

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Suck my dick, rear end in a top hat :argh:

Fucker went through my followers like a knife through hot butter. RIP Neville, Violet, Auclair, Eldridge, Victor, Valciane.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

I haven't played in a while so this might have already been changed, but I wish there was a more efficient way to trade in spintrias for regular cash, the auction is really slow

Like I always just end up with a pile of iron spintrias because they're not really useful for anything, and certainly not cost-effective enough to occupy the Explore slot for as long as they do

Eh, it pays off pretty well if you have some Bronze or Silver sprintrias to offload...if I've run out of places to send expeditions to it's also a good place to recharge my monies.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Done!

That, I think, was a much better experience than getting the standard victories at launch. Being able to target specific vaults for the lore/items I needed and the constant hostile action (complete with boss fight!) made it much more fraught and less of a grind.

Combining lores could still stand to be less of an RNG faff though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Combining lores is a headache but I'm actually really digging this NG+ Lantern run. Different mechanics shake up the daily routine, make it feel like less of a grind.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Nice work! I'm still dreading the next step of the Lantern NG+. Did you have much time-gated fuckery in your Forge run?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's been in since launch, and the fast way is to kill your way up with some edge minions.

Yeah that's what i meant with fairly specific, the other way is to wait for your superiors to retire/die of old age iirc and that is 100% rng and a fairly small chance at that.

And agreed on painting. It's also nice that you can't get fired for not showing up every 90s.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gato posted:

Nice work! I'm still dreading the next step of the Lantern NG+. Did you have much time-gated fuckery in your Forge run?

Nah, your only critical perishable resource in Forge+ are the Shaper's Guidances (the mentor/hook resource), and they're used to turn non-perishables into other non-perishables. (Technically, Echidna's Assistance is timed, but it's ten minutes and you have complete control over when it spawns, so it's not a factor.)

Contrary to what I expected, the big bottleneck wasn't lore- 4th tier expeditions got me 80% of the way there and subversions took care of the rest. The problem was the Carcass Spark, as as far as I can can tell you have to go to the Evening Isles for that now. I got insanely lucky, though- my first Port Noon Anecdote scored me Frangiclave, and my second got me the Spark.

Everything else you can get from the Spider Door.

e: I forgot you also need the Rite Intercalate. It is, in fact, the thing you need to get for the game to start giving you hints if you're stuck! But you're guaranteed to get that if you have the Spark. Which you also need to start getting hints. Which is the thing I got last. :v:

Truga posted:

And agreed on painting. It's also nice that you can't get fired for not showing up every 90s.

:yeah:

I forgot it also generates contentment. Mad.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 24, 2019

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I haven't played since October, but I want to BRING THE DAWN. Since I've gotten 4 (didn't do Heart) Standard Enlightenment victories, do I have to do things again to start on this New Game+ path, or will it be like a starting profession option?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I haven't played since October, but I want to BRING THE DAWN. Since I've gotten 4 (didn't do Heart) Standard Enlightenment victories, do I have to do things again to start on this New Game+ path, or will it be like a starting profession option?

Which of these is more tedious?

That's your answer. :suicide:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hell yeah, another 100+ hour of clicking cards here I come.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Hell yeah, another 100+ hour of clicking cards here I come.

Just keep in mind the that BRINGING THE DAWN is the advanced forge victory, not lantern.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm messing around with the Heart+ victory but I'm pretty much totally lost. It is nice that you start with a handful of items and the doors of the wood unlocked (and you get to immediately unlock the Spider Door) but really, my Delight couldn't deign to leave me a rite or something?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Any advice on how to get the Forge Major victory? Dipping back in after a long break and can't remember poo poo. Sorry.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Just keep in mind the that BRINGING THE DAWN is the advanced forge victory, not lantern.

Does the NG+ have to have the lantern / forge / grail cult or just the corresponding victory. For theme, I have a Society of the Holy Wound cult but even with the Enlightenment victory I'm finishing up on would I have the ability to start a NG+?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Vlex posted:

Any advice on how to get the Forge Major victory? Dipping back in after a long break and can't remember poo poo. Sorry.

You you want a refresher on the basic mechanics, a discussion on general strategy and anti-Long, a list of the specific items you need for the victory and how to get them, or a step-by-step walkthrough?

You actually get a card that straight tells you most of it (may take a little interpretation), and if you read the description on Shaper's Guidance that'll give you most of the how. The most important thing it doesn't tell you, and the one that had me stumped for a bit, is how to combine the things you need to combine. The answer is: put them in a ritual together. You'll need rituals that let you use influences and people, influences and artefacts and influences and ingredients. I would suggest the Sunset Rite, the Rite of the Map's Edge and The Rite of the Crow's Quenching.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tormented posted:

Does the NG+ have to have the lantern / forge / grail cult or just the corresponding victory. For theme, I have a Society of the Holy Wound cult but even with the Enlightenment victory I'm finishing up on would I have the ability to start a NG+?

Cult doesn't matter, just desire. You're fine.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

suck it, Kennedy, I'm a candle now

(Lantern+ spoilers)

A shame I never got to beat the Long, but so it goes. I also ended up with a Rival for the first time ever, which was a pain because it kept wasting my Season of Temptations. Is there any way to kill them off?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Just to confirm, there are three new Major Victories (Enlightenment, Power, Desire), but in order to actually BRING THE DAWN you have to do the Forge Major Victory, and presumably something else alongside that?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Just to confirm, there are three new Major Victories (Enlightenment, Power, Desire), but in order to actually BRING THE DAWN you have to do the Forge Major Victory, and presumably something else alongside that?

BRING THE DAWN is the forge major victory, what I meant to warn you about is that you will have to do the forge standard victory first.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BRING THE DAWN is the forge major victory, what I meant to warn you about is that you will have to do the forge standard victory first.

But if I've already done it sometime in the past on my save file, will I have to do it again?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

But if I've already done it sometime in the past on my save file, will I have to do it again?

If your last game ended with a Lantern/Forge/Grail victory you’ll be able to select the respective new game+ when starting a new game. If it wasn’t, you’ll have to do one again.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If your last game ended with a Lantern/Forge/Grail victory you’ll be able to select the respective new game+ when starting a new game. If it wasn’t, you’ll have to do one again.

Fuuuck. I'm sure my last one was either a quit-midway through or a Change Victory.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alexis probably put a fresh save up for each path.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I kept my save from just before I started my Forge+ run, if you want it:

code:
{
	"defunctCharacterDetails": {
		"futureLevers": {
			"LastCult": "cultforge_1",
			"LastFollower": "laidlaw_d",
			"LastTool": "toolforgeb",
			"LastBook": "highmysterieschurchsolarfucine",
			"LastDesire": "ascensionpowera",
			"LastCharacterName": "Octavius",
			"LastPersonKilled": "neville_a",
			"LastHeadquarters": "generichq",
			"LastSignificantPainting": "paintingmansus"
		},
		"name": "[unnamed]"
	},
	"metainfo": {
		"VERSIONNUMBER": "2019.1.i.1"
	},
	"currentending": "minorforgevictory",
	"availablelegacies": {
		"detective": "detective",
		"apostleforge": "apostleforge",
		"aspirant": "aspirant"
	}
}
Find where the game stores its save on your system (<username>/AppData/LocalLow/Weather Factory/Cultist Simulator for me) and replace the contents of save.txt with that.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That is awesome, thank you.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

"LastPersonKilled": "neville_a",

You monster :mad:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

King Crucible got a bit hungry. :shrug:

Actually, I'm fairly certain Neville survived that. I don't think I got anyone killed that run, except of course the pawns who I fed to the spider door en masse.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm deep into the Lantern Major Ascension but now I have no idea what to do to finish it. I have all seven witnesses who are now a Cloud of Witnesses. The clue card says "send for the Key of Days" but drat if I can remember what that is.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Reading some of the spoilers I got to say that a simple paragraph doesn't do poo poo to convey the feeling of a MAJOR VICTORY

I read the victory texts in the spoilers and I am like, isn't this the time that the player has earned a more elaborate understanding of the narrative which tells what the gently caress did just happen to you or the world or show a detailed illustration or something?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
explicit exposition is very not alexis kennedy's thing. i did the extremely long, grindy, expensive seeking mr eaten's name questline in fallen london that requires basically a maxed out character to do and ends in said character becoming permanently unusable, and didn't get much more

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So what do you do with a rival? Kill, convert, ignore? How long can you ignore them? How do you convert them?

I'm playing the cop, and it's tempting just to arrest them all, but I don't want to throw away perfectly good potential disciples.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

It's just that imho, he (Kennedy) doesn't fundamentally get the combination of narrative and gameplay, as if the medium of gaming is basically merely a vessel for the stories he wants to tell. That would explain why he doesn't get the complaints about grind, difficulty and failure: many good stories have lots of adversity, struggle and incomprehension of the whole, but in an interactive medium, the story you want to tell can only carry itself until a certain point. You need game, and game demands time and effort from the people playing it.

If your game isn't rewarding by itself, you need far more story to deliver in order to compensate for that, which only makes more evident that idea of "why you didn't just write a book then?"

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

So what do you do with a rival? Kill, convert, ignore? How long can you ignore them? How do you convert them?

I'm playing the cop, and it's tempting just to arrest them all, but I don't want to throw away perfectly good potential disciples.

Rivals don't stop coming when you're playing detective, because the target you're chasing is automatically a rival. So you're right, arresting them all is not a great strategy.

What I did was keep the rival around until he actually manages to level up enough to be a threat to my own ascension. I just kept working the tentative evidence without ever incriminating him, and that keeps revenue flowing in. In the meantime, the rival tries to do his regular things, he actually managed to off the hunter once without my having to lift a little finger. But when he got too close to our shared goal, I worked the incriminating evidence and had him thrown in esoteric jail for good.

Of course, this is overlooking the few times where he failed killing the hunter and instead generated extra notoriety, or stole expeditions I was planning on doing.

But all in all, it played along perfectly with the narrative of being a corrupt investigator outwardly pretending to chase cultists while actually leveraging my position to further my own nefarious devices. It's also probably a bit tricky to walk that line unless you're experienced with the game mechanics, but that also feels like it reinforces the narrative. Gotta be experienced to play both sides against each other. :whatup:

edit:

dead comedy forums posted:

It's just that imho, he (Kennedy) doesn't fundamentally get the combination of narrative and gameplay, as if the medium of gaming is basically merely a vessel for the stories he wants to tell. That would explain why he doesn't get the complaints about grind, difficulty and failure: many good stories have lots of adversity, struggle and incomprehension of the whole, but in an interactive medium, the story you want to tell can only carry itself until a certain point. You need game, and game demands time and effort from the people playing it.

If your game isn't rewarding by itself, you need far more story to deliver in order to compensate for that, which only makes more evident that idea of "why you didn't just write a book then?"

I guess my current post is actually a good example of what Kennedy's trying to achieve. The routine and monotony of the game to an extent are part of the narrative, in order to deliver the feeling of being a budding cultist starting to dabble in this scary new esoteric world. This works fine the first time or two, but after that unfortunately it just becomes tedium because you as a player have mastered the variables. So the early game of working your stats up, gathering books from Morland's Shop and the auctioneer loses any challenge and just becomes a prerequisite to whatever new ascension you're going for.

So whenever an update rolls around that switches up this routine a little bit, there's renewed interest. At first, the only non-painful way to generate money was to paint or be a doctor, so naturally that got old fast. Playing detective got me to do another ascension, and then Dancer right after that. These new advanced victories introduce new approaches again, but in order to reach them, you have to go through the old content all over again, and that is definitely a dubious decision.

If there was some branching tree/checkpointing system that allowed you to pick up after any win/loss for a new start, that'd mitigate things somewhat. The problem is you'd still have to do the early stat grind, unless the checkpoint system let you pick up a character after doing the stat/book grind. The fact that AK offers blank saves after updates and there's even an option in the menu to navigate game files strongly hints that you're supposed to just make those checkpoints for yourself.

Of course, this would also be moot if you could skip past most of the early game grind. You can, in a way, but it's heavily contingent on RNG. If you start a Lantern cult but don't get a Lantern cultist until much later, or better Lantern lore, you're going to be slowed down a lot. And previously, the consequences of failing an expedition or mission were just too awful to risk them until I could fully hedge my bets. Making them 90% success annoyed a bunch of people, but that was overlooking the other side of the coin, which is being able to heal followers injured in missions. Up until my current Dancer run, I'd been keeping my old habits of accumulating everything in the most conservative possible way in order to minimize failure, but expeditions have gotten a lot simpler since I realised it's not the end of the world to send less than maxed out followers.

I think Alexis is doing the best he can fleshing out the game across the board, both early game and late game. But if part of the game is tedious to you, and you still have to go through it to reach the next, there's not much to be done about that. So to conclude this effortpost, 420 save scum every day.

Jan fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Speedball posted:

I'm deep into the Lantern Major Ascension but now I have no idea what to do to finish it. I have all seven witnesses who are now a Cloud of Witnesses. The clue card says "send for the Key of Days" but drat if I can remember what that is.

Hint: You'll have seen a Key of some sort several times if you've got all the Witnesses. When you next find it, try talking about it with someone who knows about the Glory.

Explicit spoiler: The Season of Temptations gives you the Dream of a Key which you'll have been using to get the Allure. If you speak to Teresa the Baldomerian about the Dream of a Key, she'll put you on track for the real thing.