Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Two Tone Shoes posted:

doesn't need to be with how he uses his powers (he dedicated his life to synthesizing a quirk erasing bullet instead of learning the chemical composition of a flash bang)

I thought the quirk erasing bullet was more about his ideological beliefs to try to eliminate Quirks from society.

Vinylshadow posted:

Wonder what the Singularity is gonna do to Momo once it hits and people start going crazy or whatever it's supposed to do

The singularity was more about new generations of Quirks becoming more and more powerful until they're out of control, I'm not sure it affects people who already hold Quirks from previous generations. Who knows though with these translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Aoyama's actor is :perfect:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought the quirk erasing bullet was more about his ideological beliefs to try to eliminate Quirks from society.

The singularity was more about new generations of Quirks becoming more and more powerful until they're out of control, I'm not sure it affects people who already hold Quirks from previous generations. Who knows though with these translations.

He wanted to use it to take down the hero society that led to the Yakuza's fall from grace and the rise of villainy. If the Yakuza control the flow of powerful quirks in the world by selling to selected people to allow them to erase others, then they're on top of the world. It was less ideological erasure of quirks and more the solution to the impetus that weakened the reputation and presence of the Yakuza.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I dunno they both seem to fall under the full metal alchemist powerset to me, just with different limitations. And one of Ed's most notorious scenes is making a giant cannon out of the ground because there's usually actually enough random stuff around, in the ground and atmosphere, to make whatever thing you can think of. Overhaul isn't as genius at chemical compositions and stuff like Momo and Edward, and doesn't need to be with how he uses his powers (he dedicated his life to synthesizing a quirk erasing bullet instead of learning the chemical composition of a flash bang), but they have a similar function. I could perfectly imagine Overhaul's power allowing him to make a cannon, as per your example.

The way he is similar to Cementoss is purely in fighting style (before he starts flesh merging with people) despite a way different quirk.

Ed can actually transmute stuff into different substances. Overhaul can't, he can reshape stuff and alter it, but he can't change what it is.

If he altered stone to create a cannon, it would not work as he would lack the means to make it ignite and fire.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ed can actually transmute stuff into different substances. Overhaul can't, he can reshape stuff and alter it, but he can't change what it is.

If he altered stone to create a cannon, it would not work as he would lack the means to make it ignite and fire.

Ed still needs the ingredients. That's kind of the point of him listing out the average contents of a human body when he goes to revive his mom. He can't turn lead into gold and he couldn't turn his arm into something cold resistant (needed Winry for that). He just derives and creates stuff from his surroundings, exactly like Overhaul does. FMA alchemy, Ed's atleast, is explained as disassembling and reassembling which...is the exact definition of Overhaul's power. That was kind of my point with the cannon thing, you "disassemble" everything in a large enough area and you find enough nitrates, carbon, and sulfur to make powder and flintlock device to ignite it automatically.

Momo and Overhaul both conjure poo poo that wasn't there a moment ago into something new. Overhaul's is more rangey, aggressive, and can affect other things, but Momo trades that for circumventing needing specific ingredients outside of her own body. I know they're not exactly the same but I think they function very similarly.

I get you disagree and I'm kind of tired repeating myself and my thought process. I'm calling it a day.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 23, 2019

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ed did turn lead into gold that one time

I guess that whole thing got cut out of brotherhood for some reason tho

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

ed did turn lead into gold that one time

I guess that whole thing got cut out of brotherhood for some reason tho

I think it's possible to transmute elements, they just have to be (the vague sounding) of similar "attributes", presumably rocks/coal/lead is similar enough to gold or whatnot. It's clearly possible since it was one of the specific things the alchemists were banned from doing (which includes human transmutation).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
he's got r2d2's head for his rear end

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Jose posted:

Momo would make a really good batman style character

The problem is that what Momo really needs in order to shine is a Jojo's style "clever use of bizarre powers" fight, and those are actually really, really hard to write. (I think that's sort of what the anime was aiming for with last season's filler fight; the one with tea-drinking-genius girl. It just wasn't all that good because, well, it's hard to write.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Ed still needs the ingredients. That's kind of the point of him listing out the average contents of a human body when he goes to revive his mom. He can't turn lead into gold and he couldn't turn his arm into something cold resistant (needed Winry for that).

He explicitly did both. He changed the properties of his arm several times during the series. He just needs to know what he is turning it into. The reason he does not just auto repair is arm is because he does not know all the advanced functions that make it work.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He can't touch the ground and make a working canon.

Neither can Horikoshi

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The problem is that what Momo really needs in order to shine is a Jojo's style "clever use of bizarre powers" fight, and those are actually really, really hard to write. (I think that's sort of what the anime was aiming for with last season's filler fight; the one with tea-drinking-genius girl. It just wasn't all that good because, well, it's hard to write.)

Luckily once Recovery Girl gets her results back she'll break the news that Momo's family have worked so hard to hide from her.

Her life is a lie. She doesn't have organs, bones, nerves, or blood. She's a facsimile of a human raised as if she was just a normal girl with a quirk. Now she can use her true power and stop fearing having her bones broken or losing a limb. She'll become just as difficult to destroy as the Iron Giant since even if you cut her in half she'll just mold herself back together afterwards.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Wonder what the Singularity is gonna do to Momo once it hits and people start going crazy or whatever it's supposed to do
Wait what? Did I miss something? The Singularity isn't some event that's gonna make everyone's quirks go nuts, it's the theory that quirks keep getting stronger every generation so eventually they will become too powerful to control or something. Right? Did I misread that? Genuine question, not being a dick.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Wait what? Did I miss something? The Singularity isn't some event that's gonna make everyone's quirks go nuts, it's the theory that quirks keep getting stronger every generation so eventually they will become too powerful to control or something. Right? Did I misread that? Genuine question, not being a dick.

That was also my interpretation. This also, at least partially, explains how kids in what amounts to their freshman year of high school have quirks on-par with the current top heroes.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think people are just getting confused by two things in this manga being referred to as the singularity. The phenomenon of quirks gradually getting stronger, and One For All gaining the ability to make use of all the quirks attached to it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Viridiant posted:

I think people are just getting confused by two things in this manga being referred to as the singularity. The phenomenon of quirks gradually getting stronger, and One For All gaining the ability to make use of all the quirks attached to it.

aren't they the same thing? o4a gets stronger as it's passed down in the same way kids have stronger quirks than their parents

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
....ohhhhhhhh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one thing I'll grant Overhaul is that Overhaul is a legitimately great villain name (or hero name, for that matter) for someone with his powerset.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he also has a very distinct look. the plague mask is cool

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I wish he'd actually done some overhauling during the main fight instead of becoming spiky Cementoss and then the Hulk.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 24, 2019

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He overhauled him image, both in series and out, as the arc proceeded.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

He explicitly did both. He changed the properties of his arm several times during the series. He just needs to know what he is turning it into. The reason he does not just auto repair is arm is because he does not know all the advanced functions that make it work.

Yeah but the properties that he's changing are part of the item's makeup. With his arm, he pulls the carbon out of the steel to the surface to make it harder.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

These look pretty good, honestly. Losing my poo poo at Mineta’s outfit though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tokoyami looks as good as Mineta looks terrible. But which awful decision came first, the giant pants or the skinny actor?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I think of the Quirk singularity like how I think of hyphenated surnames in real life. People keep getting crazier and crazier last names until they're too long to write down.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
There is someone whose quirk is literally "Is Goddamn Godzilla"

I don't really see how quirks can ever really get weirder than that.

"Is Goddamn King Ghidorah"?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The people that should have real trouble are people with quirks that are naturally really destructive.

Like for any real fight Mina is gonna be doing a lot of property damage when she's a pro.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Momo's going to be a weird character to power up in the traditional shonen sense. It seems like Horikoshi's plan is to have her get better just by becoming more confident in herself and trusting her instincts more. Her quirk is broken as poo poo if she can get over her own mental hurdles. It's actually not a bad way to gate off her progression.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Momo's going to be a weird character to power up in the traditional shonen sense. It seems like Horikoshi's plan is to have her get better just by becoming more confident in herself and trusting her instincts more. Her quirk is broken as poo poo if she can get over her own mental hurdles. It's actually not a bad way to gate off her progression.

The impression I got from her fight in this arc was that she has become confident in her ability to plan and make decisions on how to direct/help other people but she still doesn't have confidence in herself in a 1v1 still. Her big change should be IMO to end up in a similar situation but instead of being "Welp my quirk isn't as well suited to direct combat so I'll try to help my teammates as much as possible before I get beaten", she squares up and wins in a situation where she's at a disadvantage.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The next time Momo gets in to close combat, all she really needs to do is grow some spikes, knives, brass knuckles with spikes, etc and then dope them all with some kind of paralyzing toxin. Or she could just make some kind of aerosol explosive that spews some nonlethal agent everywhere and then make herself a gas mask. Or make a whole bunch of trip wires and mine the whole arena with claymores. There are like a million relatively simple ways she could destroy pretty much anyone in a 1v1 fight, and the only reason we haven't seen it is because Horikoshi is stuck on the really dumb thought process of "smart people have to make complicated schemes to solve their problems".

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Why does momo simply not split an atom in her stomach anytime someone dares to challenge her?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Why does momo simply not split an atom in her stomach anytime someone dares to challenge her?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Indiana_Krom posted:

The next time Momo gets in to close combat, all she really needs to do is grow some spikes, knives, brass knuckles with spikes, etc and then dope them all with some kind of paralyzing toxin. Or she could just make some kind of aerosol explosive that spews some nonlethal agent everywhere and then make herself a gas mask. Or make a whole bunch of trip wires and mine the whole arena with claymores. There are like a million relatively simple ways she could destroy pretty much anyone in a 1v1 fight, and the only reason we haven't seen it is because Horikoshi is stuck on the really dumb thought process of "smart people have to make complicated schemes to solve their problems".

The next time momo has a speaking line it will be her being brushed away into a trash can to make way for Buggy The Lizard Girl, Danni Phantom and Yaoi Hands

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The next time momo has a speaking line it will be her being brushed away into a trash can to make way for Buggy The Lizard Girl, Danni Phantom and Yaoi Hands

Lizard Girl's quirk is cool and could be used for a lot of fun visual gags, I agree with this proposal.

It's too bad we found out about her quirk in this match and not by her messing with Deku by tricking him into thinking he ripped her arm off or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I will be genuinely shocked if any of those characters are going to appear for at least a year after this arc is over

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blockhouse posted:

I will be genuinely shocked if any of those characters are going to appear for at least a year after this arc is over

B class has been weaving in and out of the narrative since the tournament arc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vengarr posted:

B class has been weaving in and out of the narrative since the tournament arc.

there are several arcs where they don't feature at all and it wouldn't surprise me if there have been times where they didn't show up at all for a year

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also, by "B class", it's usually just Monoma, Tetsutetsu, and Kendou. The rest didn't really exist until this arc.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
spoiler images are out and the next chapter looks fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, one thing I mentioned in the past is that she could basically replicate the power of that one gas mask guy from the forest arc.