Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

420 Gank Mid posted:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-gold/venezuela-gold-holdings-in-bank-of-england-soar-on-deutsche-deal-sources-idUKKCN1PF1Z8

UK joins in the fun by mulling over the theft of Venezuela's gold reserves which, fun fact, are being used to buy food

also, Boots Riley fuckin owns

What about those sanctions, though?

You weren't just making that stuff up, were you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

fnox posted:

I've said again and again the problem with your "anti-imperialist argument" is that it involves the complete denial that there is a problem with Maduro running the country, that there is a crisis at all that must be solved. You don't have a loving solution for us, why do we need to listen to you?

Maduro is awful. Any US backed replacement government will be worse. As a reference: Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

This whole misuse of "coup" thing would be hilarious if it weren't in relation to such breathtaking human suffering.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

uninterrupted posted:

Saddam killed more than a million people and used chemical weapons against his own people. He’s objectively worse than Maduro.

I don't disagree here at all, but the only reasons for that is maduro's regime is too incompetent to pull it off. Instead, they just made it impossible for venezuelans to get food, which will in enough time have the same effect, though.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, so the Venezuelan farmer who posts here is rich caps lock?
The guy who had to give up one of his cows or a mob would have hacked him up?

uninterrupted posted:

Saddam killed more than a million people and used chemical weapons against his own people. He’s objectively worse than Maduro.

The blinding speed that American imperialists try to whitewash dictators to justify new intervention is breathtaking.

Maduro is actively ignoring the medical plight of his people and is actively denying medical aid to the sick and needy, hes just as bad.

fnox
May 19, 2013

uninterrupted posted:

Maduro is awful. Any US backed replacement government will be worse. As a reference: Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya

Saddam killed a million people, are you saying Iraq was better off with him in charge?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
“You think everyone who disgarees with you is a tankie. :rolleyes: Now let me tell you why anyone with actual experience of the country in question who disagrees with me can be safely ignored...”

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Giggle Goose posted:

This whole misuse of "coup" thing would be hilarious if it weren't in relation to such breathtaking human suffering.

It’s a coup though. An unelected person has declared himself president and directed rebel military soldiers to overthrow the government.

Like, you can just say you support an illegal coup to overthrow maduro guys. I mean, so so a bunch of other countries. At least use words correctly.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

Saddam killed a million people, are you saying Iraq was better off with him in charge?

It absolutely was, op.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

fnox posted:

The whole region was lmao

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Repostin':

https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/venezuela/

Four sanctions. Short version:

2015: Screw You, Kleptocrats
August 2017: the big one, limits financing of new not-short-term Venezuelan debt, transactions of new not-short-term debt, and dividend payouts to the government of Venezuela
March 2018: Screw You, New Venezuelan Digital Currency
May 2018: restricts more debt-related transactions other than the stuff explicitly very strongly implicitly condoned in 2017, prevents Venezuela from pledging public assets as collateral

was a bit less an effortpost than I remembered but that's fine

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

fnox posted:

Iraq was better off with him in charge?
This is unambiguously the case yes.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

fnox posted:

Yes. Obviously. Have you heard of anything that happened after the invasion?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I really want to know why people are arguing over this though. Literally nobody in here wants an intervention, so various posters are building random strawmen to attack instead?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I don’t want an intervention I just want to lap up regurgitated Charlie Kirk talking points

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

uninterrupted posted:

It’s a coup though. An unelected person has declared himself president and directed rebel military soldiers to overthrow the government.

Like, you can just say you support an illegal coup to overthrow maduro guys. I mean, so so a bunch of other countries. At least use words correctly.

So I am guessing then that you are completely ignorant of the constitutional reasons as to why Guaidó has declared himself the president and why so many states are backing up that claim?

What are your thoughts on Maduro's seizure of the levers of power in Venezuela? The jailing of the opposition? The dissolution of the legislature?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If we're going to make comparisons to Iraq, let's ask: would Saddam be a better leader for Venezuela than Maduro?

I'm not certain but I think it's possible. I doubt he'd be significantly worse.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Truga posted:

I really want to know why people are arguing over this though. Literally nobody in here wants an intervention, so various posters are building random strawmen to attack instead?

It seems as though many people in this thread are heavily invested in either or both of

A) Denying the role of historically imperialist powers like the USA/UK in aggravating conditions in Venezuela and gearing up for soft or direct intervention

B) Justifying the need for intervention in a manner remarkably similar to what happened in the early 2000's with Iraq

THS
Sep 15, 2017

fnox posted:

Ah yeah, that’s the good stuff. Mainline that straight into my veins.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

uninterrupted posted:

Well duh, maduro is unelected since he made the last election such a fraud that according to the Venezuelan constitution, the opposition leader is president. No one acknowledges the legitimacy of the last election because there was so much shady poo poo going on that even the makers of the voting machines used complained!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

uninterrupted posted:

The Venezuelan constitution actually does seem to have a provision wherein this is the proper and legal recourse in the event there is not a legitimate result for a presidential election (the first part, not the rebel military soldier overthrow part). But since the current government is a military dictatorship running under the fig leaf of its previous constitution, that's doomed to failure as long as the military supports Maduro.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Please tell me more about your fight for the poor, wealthy suburban US resident Pevin Stan

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Giggle Goose posted:

So I am guessing then that you are completely ignorant of the constitutional reasons as to why Guaidó has declared himself the president and why so many states are backing up that claim?

What are your thoughts on Maduro's seizure of the levers of power in Venezuela? The jailing of the opposition? The dissolution of the legislature?

Yeah, I read up on it and it’s a ridiculous argument that wouldn’t hold up anywhere the US wasn’t trying to flip over.

It’s the equivalent of saying, “China says trump wasn’t legitimately elected, Nancy Pelosi is president now!”

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Truga posted:

Until yesterday this day consisted of some Venezuelan goons (most of whom literally had to leave Venezuela as refugees) and various others who'd been following the situation in Venezuela for the past few years, most of whom agreed that Maduro is a lovely authoritarian kleptocrat actively making the situation worse because that's the God's honest truth of the matter. Now a bunch of people are kramering into this thread shouting Maduro-endorsed conspiracy theories about how everything is the CIA and America's fault despite the mountains of previous evidence to the contrary.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

420 Gank Mid posted:

It seems as though many people in this thread are heavily invested in either or both of

A) Denying the role of historically imperialist powers like the USA/UK in aggravating conditions in Venezuela and gearing up for soft or direct intervention

Whereas you are heavily invested in

A) Making poo poo up about how it's the US that's to blame for people starving in Venezuela.

Seriously, do you have no sense of self-awareness?

fnox
May 19, 2013

gently caress me I didn't know Saddam apologists actually existed, I don't know how in your head someone can kill a million people and still be fit to rule, but I guess I now know the people that I'm dealing with. Just spare me the bullshit of you caring about the lives of anybody abroad with that mentality.

In any case, like I said, military intervention is not necessary, and extremely unlikely to occur, which is why it's not even remotely comparable. Just help out the guys who want to change things, give them support, they'll handle the rest.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Where are all the Venezuelan goons who support the PSUV? There are Brazilian, Chilean, Bolivian, and Peruvian goons who are left wing. Where are the Venezuelan leftist goons?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

uninterrupted posted:

Yeah, I read up on it and it’s a ridiculous argument that wouldn’t hold up anywhere the US wasn’t trying to flip over.

It’s the equivalent of saying, “China says trump wasn’t legitimately elected, Nancy Pelosi is president now!”

Wait wait how is it ridiculous? Words have meaning and constitutional law exists for a reason. Also, you failed to comment on the other questions I asked. What about the jailing of dissidents? The legislature? To add one more, the stolen election?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where are all the Venezuelan goons who support the PSUV? There are Brazilian, Chilean, Bolivian, and Peruvian goons who are left wing. Where are the Venezuelan leftist goons?

Leftist Venezuelan goons don't support Maduro, that's where they are.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

fnox posted:

gently caress me I didn't know Saddam apologists actually existed, I don't know how in your head someone can kill a million people and still be fit to rule, but I guess I now know the people that I'm dealing with. Just spare me the bullshit of you caring about the lives of anybody abroad with that mentality.

In any case, like I said, military intervention is not necessary, and extremely unlikely to occur, which is why it's not even remotely comparable. Just help out the guys who want to change things, give them support, they'll handle the rest.

You are trapping yourself, even though Saddam was poo poo, the entire region spun into chaos due to the American intervention.

The Maduro supporters ITT are using that as an example of why things will get worse I'd Maduro leaves, while meanwhile they ignore other statements made by you.

The correct answer to give was just to laugh at the attempt of equivalency and accuse them of dodging your questions.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Norton the First posted:

A) Making poo poo up about how it's the US that's to blame for people starving in Venezuela.

Honestly I could not write satire this on the nose if I tried haha

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Truga posted:

Literally nobody in here wants an intervention, so various posters are building random strawmen to attack instead?

fnox posted:

We’re having to rely on Trump of all loving people to get anything done, because nobody on the left wants to help.

fnox posted:

Us Venezuelans in this thread want other countries to interfere.

Lawman 0 posted:

I honestly don't really see a path forward to solving this crisis without UN intervention and peacekeepers flooding the country.
:(

fnox posted:

Your country is not loving involved. It should though, like all other nations in the OAS, because the Venezuelan people can't fight a dictatorship that is willing to openly murder them on their own.

GlyphGryph posted:

Don't you believe in international solidarity? Should the laborers of the US not feel compelled to reach out in brotherhood and offer their assistance to the Venezuelan proletariat being crushed under the boot of their wealthy oligarchs?

Pharohman777 posted:

Even if the opposition was supported by imperialist intrests, it would still be better than maduros government.

ugh its Troika posted:

Still waiting for tankies to explain how a US puppet government would be any worse than the one Venezuela has now.

fnox posted:

Maduro is worse than Pinochet by any metric. loving, please, find me one thing that Maduro has done right, one.
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I think it's unfair that Venezuelans get to disappear people and literally have drug gangs turned government hit squads shoot at people on video and it's fine but when we throw people from planes into the South Atlantic it's frowned upon.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

uninterrupted posted:

Ok, so this is where things get tricky. Basically, everyone agrees the last presidential elections in Venezuela were rigged. The government barred most opposition parties from running except for a handpicked couple, used every trick in the book to rig the game in their favor and even then, they probably inflated the vote count just for kicks. They've been rigging election results ever since the Constituent Assembly vote in 2017 when even the freaking company that provided the machines said "Hey, these results are bogus" (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...y-idUSKBN1AI1KZ).

So what happens when a party that controls almost the whole state rigs a presidential election? We don't know because that's uncharted territory. However, the Venezuelan constitution explains that should the president be unable to assume his role, the person at the head of the National Assembly (Guaido) in his case, will assume that role and call for new elections.

Why is this whole mess happening now? Because the new presidential term kicked off on January 10th and since Maduro's election was rigged, the National Assembly said "Not gonna happen, buddy. Article 233 tells us that Guaido needs to step in and call for new elections".

Why is this messy? Because article 233 wasn't written with the idea that someone (Maduro, in this case) would try to usurp the presidency. However, the National Assembly is basically the only Venezuelan institution that came to power under legitimate elections, even if the government has tried to strip them of all competencies.

So is this a coup? Arguably, Maduro stole a second term using rigged elections. The Chavista government has used every trick in the book to block the way for a peaceful transition, all the while looting the country. This poo poo needs to change and fast, so while this interpretation of the Venezuelan constitution is spotty, at best, it's also the best chance to overthrow a government that has no qualms letting its population starve and die due to lack of food and medicine.

Am I happy about the role the US is playing in this? gently caress, no. I fundamentally hate Trump as a human being and Bolsonaro's not too far behind. However, there isn't going to be a return to democracy in Venezuela without some external pressure. That's just the way it is, because Chavismo is too entrenched and not whiling to cede power without someone twisting its arm.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 24, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

uninterrupted posted:

and china would be right, hillary was elected, but the system is rigged lmao

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Until yesterday this day consisted of some Venezuelan goons (most of whom literally had to leave Venezuela as refugees) and various others who'd been following the situation in Venezuela for the past few years, most of whom agreed that Maduro is a lovely authoritarian kleptocrat actively making the situation worse because that's the God's honest truth of the matter. Now a bunch of people are kramering into this thread shouting Maduro-endorsed conspiracy theories about how everything is the CIA and America's fault despite the mountains of previous evidence to the contrary.

yeah i'm one of those following the situation and my take on both sides is they're both incredibly naive.
maduro is a shitlord that needs to go, thinking otherwise is naive.
US is definitely going to extract something out of this, and i'll honestly be surprised if they're not one of the parties majorly involved and thinking otherwise is naive.

fnox posted:

gently caress me I didn't know Saddam apologists actually existed

see, this is what i mean. make a strawman and attak it in lieu of actual arguments. who's defending saddam?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

punk rebel ecks posted:

conveniently too poor to own a computer.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

uninterrupted posted:

that'd be nice

fnox
May 19, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

There really isn't that many people left actually showing support for the PSUV, so instead we get white Americans pretending to be outraged. To be fair, the talking points would be the exact same, gross whataboutism with zero recognition as to the horrendous situation Maduro has created through sheer corruption.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

lmao why would it be too expensive to afford a computer in a socialist paradise? what happened to the Canaimitas? Why are all their followers loving poor if the government is supposed to be helping them?

The real explanation is that Venezuelans wouldn't organically stumble into this place, the ones who have did so a long time ago where you could justify dropping five bucks on a forum account, and not on your weekly supply of food.

fnox fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 24, 2019

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Norton the First posted:

Its pretty funny that Venezuela has nationalized and left to rot so many factories that its only lifeline left is a US oil refinery. I guess chavez was working for cia imperialists to weaken the country by the tankies logic, lol.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

But what about Brazilian, Bolivian, and Ecuadorian goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

420 Gank Mid posted:

Honestly I could not write satire this on the nose if I tried haha

I mean, you're outright inventing facts, and you know it, because you don't even bother defending yourself. It should be really easy for you to point to the exact US sanctions that are causing Venezuelans to starve...were it true, at least. But you're not capable of operating in good faith.