Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Welp
gently caress the Pats
gently caress the Rams?
gently caress the Refs
gently caress
View Results

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That is how football was played until about 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sure, if coaches want to burn their challenges that way. Require them to state what specifically they’re challenging, I.e “the left tackle was holding” and, much like with the current challenges rules, require a higher burden to change the call.

The problem is that most blocks by O linemen looks like holding in replay.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I say legalize holding for everything short of bear hugs or tackling the dude but in return let DBs have significantly more contact with receivers downfield.

This all came up because someone suggested that everything be reviewable. That's a bad idea anyways, it's not necessary. I do like the idea of a "constant" review in New York or whatever who will then call down to the field and trigger a review... much like they already do in the final 2 minutes of the game. Right now they don't concern themselves with penalties, but it seems like they could.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Legalize everything that's not headhunting/kneecapping and let the chips fall where they may, the refs can't enforce 3/4 of the rules anyway so let's stop pretending they can. Holding and DPI enforcement are borderline farcical at times.

OL holding and pick plays are legal in return for legalizing DPI that's not bear hugs and suplexes. Who cares if the little guys slap fight and "block" each other on pass plays?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

People forget about whataboutism as soon as it's their team. What about all the other teams that told players to go for the head? What about all the other teams that've had their season ended by a ref's bad call? I mean, no, we Saints fans are experiencing the one true and only bad moment of sports fandom

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I mean if we are getting mulligans, I would like to file a suit against Goodell and the 49ers for the Bowman hold on Roddy in the 2012 NFCCG.

And again for the entire 4th quarter of SB51.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Don't put yourself in a position where one bad call is devastating

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Old players will have to strap up to replay games if necessary. If they are dead, it shall be their closest blood relative

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Metapod posted:

You’re right, the Titans do a good job of avoiding this problem entirely by being bad.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Metapod posted:

It sounds trite but bad calls are part of the game and must be overcome like any other setback like a fumble or interception. There is no way to have perfect officiating without Star Trek level technology.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

*whispering* get rid of instant replay its done nothing to improve officiating it just moved around the inaccuracy

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I mean how hard would it be to have a crew in a booth watching every play and communicating down to the field refs for egregious misses? There will always be missed calls, I think we all accept that, I think the problem is getting big calls wrong. Doesn't the NHL do this? Shouldn't add too much time to the game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

*whispering* get rid of instant replay its done nothing to improve officiating it just moved around the inaccuracy

Let the stadium audience vote based on what they see on the big screen.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

Let the stadium audience vote based on what they see on the big screen.

ok but only if you give the ravens a huge vote credit for the bullshit chant

Play
Apr 25, 2006

weird Asian candy posted:

I mean how hard would it be to have a crew in a booth watching every play and communicating down to the field refs for egregious misses? There will always be missed calls, I think we all accept that, I think the problem is getting big calls wrong. Doesn't the NHL do this? Shouldn't add too much time to the game.

To me this seems enormously practical. It's something they already do for many types of calls, making it even more simple to implement. The idea would be to redress truly AWFUL calls like that one. Not to examine slow motion footage for the tiniest hint of a foul.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sweet thursday posted:

People forget about whataboutism as soon as it's their team. What about all the other teams that told players to go for the head? What about all the other teams that've had their season ended by a ref's bad call? I mean, no, we Saints fans are experiencing the one true and only bad moment of sports fandom

I mean, it was pretty lovely when the Browns has a non-fumble ruled a fumble for no obvious reason or when the cowboys had a catch ruled not a catch in a playoff game , or when the Lions had a catch ruled not a catch repeatedly, or when the refs made up a rule to protect Tom Brady agains the Raiders, or when they decided to give Seattle a catch on what was a clear interception, and so on...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Play posted:

To me this seems enormously practical. It's something they already do for many types of calls, making it even more simple to implement. The idea would be to redress truly AWFUL calls like that one. Not to examine slow motion footage for the tiniest hint of a foul.

Seems pretty basic right? We have coaches communicating with qbs and lbs in real time, why not allow the booth in the ear of the head official?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Play posted:

I'm pretty sure Rugby does something like this, at least at the international level.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Any penalty based on a judgement call should be decided on full speed replays and not slow motion. I think this would get rid of really tacky incidental "penalties" getting challenged.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

I'm pretty sure Rugby does something like this, at least at the international level.

Also after a big miss we are already waiting anyway because the coach has to chew out the refs, after the refs huddle for a minute to get their story straight, explaining everything, etc. There is already a delay due to drama, may as well use a fraction of that time to get the call right.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

we Saints fans are experiencing the one true and only bad moment of sports fandom

:agreed:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Replay the tuck rule

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think it's pretty much every other sport that has a ref HQ where they will handle replays or walk the refs through the rulebook and camera angles. and i think it's pretty much just college football that allows that hq to stop play to review something. the nba lets refs review things on their own which suprisingly happens more often than you'd think it would.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
New Proposal: Saints get their replayed game, but first they have to replay the Steelers for this bullshit PI call and if they lose the entire NFC playoffs are redone with them in 3rd seed position.

AndwhatIseeisme fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 23, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

New Proposal: Saints get their replayed game, but first they have to replay the Steelers for this bullshit PI call and if they lose the entire NFC playoffs are redone with them in 3rd seed position.

Sure, deal, let’s make it happen.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1088161519450447872

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/jco3215/status/1088166010417491969

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Brady went to the wrong spot with the ball too. Hard to miss with a look like that.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

King Hong Kong posted:

You’re right, the Titans do a good job of avoiding this problem entirely by being bad.

Uhhh the Titans are thoroughly mediocre, bud

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Look the Ram guy has every right to the ball as the Saints guy. Good no call there.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Actually from this angle you can (kind of) see why the line judge thought the ball was tipped.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

CB's should be able to drill the WR the moment he starts looking for the ball, was this not how it once was

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fat Jesus posted:

CB's should be able to drill the WR the moment he starts looking for the ball, was this not how it once was

Look, WRs should be on horses and the CBs should get pikes. I've been saying it for years, and it's about goddamn time the NFL took a look at these outdated rules.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Fat Jesus posted:

Marshon Lattimore been doing this since he got drafted.

e: The best week

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/1088193477782003712

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 23, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Marshon Lattimore been doing this since he got drafted.

e: The best week

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/1088193477782003712

What’s the big deal? Plenty of LA bars won’t be showing it either.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

https://twitter.com/Supreme_Gifs/status/1087520484797759488

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Imagine if there was a betting scandal & this play was the key moment.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Android Apocalypse posted:

Imagine if there was a betting scandal & this play was the key moment.

We're already getting Zapruder Film levels of scrutiny. Pretty sure things would burn.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bosushi! posted:

We're already getting Zapruder Film levels of scrutiny. Pretty sure things would burn.

things in Atlanta would have burned if the Saints had won, so it's worth the risk

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

quote:

Maybe Brad Childress should stop keeping Tarvaris Jackson on the bench and realize that this is 2010 and that black people can play any position on the field. If not he can suck a million dicks per second.

Oh man, I love reading old threads, so many hopes and dreams just waiting to be dashed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Imagine thinking that the thing holding your team back was not enough Tarvaris Jackson on the field.