Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

this brings up something that's been buggin me

please make your seasonal thread titles the english title of a show, and not romaji. i've only seen it like twice, but it throws me everytime

unless i can pm wark to make the jojo thread title ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 黄金の風

Quintissential Quintuplets just kinda... sucks as a localisation though :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That sounds like a good loc tho?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it reads better than gotoubun no hanayome, though gotoubun or 5toubun are fine abbreviations

kinda like how sorayori was a good abbreviation

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
surely yorimoi was the right one.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the production committee was yorimoi partners so apparently I've just been hallucinating for months

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

this brings up something that's been buggin me

please make your seasonal thread titles the english title of a show, and not romaji. i've only seen it like twice, but it throws me everytime

unless i can pm wark to make the jojo thread title ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 黄金の風
Isn't it going to look like a bunch of either squares/rectangles or a combination of numbers, hashtags and ampersands?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Speaking of yorimoi~

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1088142530288467968

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

Quintissential Quintuplets just kinda... sucks as a localisation though :negative:

I’d kill to come up with that kind of snappy alliteration in translating, mate.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

I’d kill to come up with that kind of snappy alliteration in translating, mate.

The alliteration's cute, I admit, but it loses the meaning which sucks. Also i prefer the flow of 5toubun but that's just personal preference.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1088199839102500864

Congrats Rumiko Takahashi

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Wark Say posted:

Isn't it going to look like a bunch of either squares/rectangles or a combination of numbers, hashtags and ampersands?
hell yeah it will!!!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's good for her, but now I'm wondering has she had a series lately?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

That's good for her, but now I'm wondering has she had a series lately?
Did Rin-ne end? That one only started recently, I remember seeing the magazine it started in when I went to Japan... ah... that was ten years ago... gently caress.

It is indeed over but it only ended about a year ago so she's probably cooking something up.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why does the shield hero anime have an 8.5 on MyAnimeList?

I've been hearing terrible things about it.

Everything about it appeals to the bulk of the demo that goes to there, ditto for Crunchyroll's forums. As for Oscars, I liked it Incredibles 2, but GODDAMN does Spiderman deserve to loving win with Isle of Dogs maybe being my second go to because it was so loving amazing to look at in terms of use of stop motion and anything with dogs in major roles is ALWAYS gonna get a nod of approval from me. I honestly can't think of anything to justify anyone movie not having SOMETHING going for it in terms of Oscar nod. Most likely winners are Incredibles 2, Ralph 2, and Spiderman.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 24, 2019

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
Am I the only one that liked Mirai more than Spiderverse? Gimme your weeaboo cards!

Also shield hero and goblin slayer appeal to a really common neet portion among otaku. A vocal minority actually welcome the trash because it repels normies, since they fear their interests are becoming too mainstream. Or because they feel the urge to rebel.

KomeradeCanadian fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 24, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Someone should start a Shield Hero quarantine thread in my humble opinion.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i legitimately don't comprehend people who didn't love spiderverse. it's uhhhh....really really good! i cried at it, twice!

i couldn't shake off isle of dogs weird cultural surface level tourism vibe and i feel like a white savior story is a valid reading of that story, i dont like it at all.

i love dogs tho

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Am I the only one that liked Mirai more than Spiderverse? Gimme your weeaboo cards!
I adore everything Hosoda makes and Mirai is definitely up there with the rest of them, but Spiderverse was just visually stunning. I'd need to watch both again to make sure I have it straight since the visuals might be overpowering the movies as a whole but as I am now I'd say Spiderverse had the better visual style and music while Mirai I think had the stronger story and characters. There's a lot to praise Spiderverse for with regards to originality and represenation so I would be happy if it won, but I would be equally happy if Mirai did. Given the academy's preferences for Hollywood though, I would be surprised.

Discussing the Oscars made me look up what Spirited Away was up against when it won and I was surpised to learn that it was only the second animated film to win since the award was added just the year before and given to Shrek over Monsters Inc. Nothing against Shrek, but holy poo poo. Also learned that Wolf Children wasn't even nominated which is pretty what the gently caress worthy. Looking at the winners year to year, I definitely believe that story another goon posted about the judges just letting their children decide rather than watching any of the actual films.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Also shield hero and goblin slayer appeal to a really common neet portion among otaku. A vocal minority actually welcome the trash because it repels normies, since they fear their interests are becoming too mainstream. Or because they feel the urge to rebel.

I actually haven't watched Mirai. Like...It just doesn't call to me. I do 100% endorse it's Oscar nomination though and based on stuff I've read of it, it's a really good family movie. I have watched all of the other nominees and can see something in them to warrant a good win some more than others with the pack leaders being(nor particular order),

Tier 1
Mirai, Spiderman, Incredibles 2(lets be honest, this is winning)

Tier 2
Isle of Dogs(The animation of the stop motion was "Jesus performs a miracle" levels of amazing)

Tier 3
Ralph Break the Internet(it wasn't bad, but it was to safe and kind of predictable)

All in all, this was a REALLY solid year of animated films and all the contenders are good with maybe Ralph being the weakest link, but even then I'd say it'd have deserved a win any other time. HUGE improvement from last year and a few previous years as well.

As a gamer based on what I've seen from how that fandom acts, I can totally buy that. Can't remember where I read it, but someone once told me that a lot of these things have to do with how much they've based their identities on these hobbies that they've also neglected to venture outside of them so they lack the interpersonal skills especially ones involving empathy and the such. The stuff that bothers me is the pseudo-intellectual bullshit that gets applied to them as if they're some kind of revelatory genius pieces of writing and all of the grody, awful, unpleasant stuff along with how little sense ANYTHING involving their worlds makes yet they get a pass when other series would get CRUCIFIED over these things and I don't just mean their anime's either. It paints a rather...Grim idea of what the fandom is into and what it's like.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I adore everything Hosoda makes and Mirai is definitely up there with the rest of them, but Spiderverse was just visually stunning. I'd need to watch both again to make sure I have it straight since the visuals might be overpowering the movies as a whole but as I am now I'd say Spiderverse had the better visual style and music while Mirai I think had the stronger story and characters. There's a lot to praise Spiderverse for with regards to originality and represenation so I would be happy if it won, but I would be equally happy if Mirai did. Given the academy's preferences for Hollywood though, I would be surprised.

Discussing the Oscars made me look up what Spirited Away was up against when it won and I was surpised to learn that it was only the second animated film to win since the award was added just the year before and given to Shrek over Monsters Inc. Nothing against Shrek, but holy poo poo. Also learned that Wolf Children wasn't even nominated which is pretty what the gently caress worthy. Looking at the winners year to year, I definitely believe that story another goon posted about the judges just letting their children decide rather than watching any of the actual films.

I've not seen Mirai so I comment on the Versus point...But yeah, Spiderverse was in fact THAT loving good. The characters were REALLY good and MASSIVELY elevated what in theory was the usual origin story type of thing to being legitimately amazing and even played off that trope and made a huge gag of it at various times. Also yeah the story about the nominees is true. They watch the movies on their own time not on some kind of viewing time to decide these things so the movie are almost completely based on what they've watched with their kids.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 24, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Cappy posted:

Someone should start a Shield Hero quarantine thread in my humble opinion.

Done.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880463

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

As a gamer based on what I've seen from how that fandom acts, I can totally buy that. Can't remember where I read it, but someone once told me that a lot of these things have to do with how much they've based their identities on these hobbies that they've also neglected to venture outside of them so they lack the interpersonal skills especially ones involving empathy and the such. The stuff that bothers me is the pseudo-intellectual bullshit that gets applied to them as if they're some kind of revelatory genius pieces of writing and all of the grody, awful, unpleasant stuff along with how little sense ANYTHING involving their worlds makes yet they get a pass when other series would get CRUCIFIED over these things and I don't just mean their anime's either. It paints a rather...Grim idea of what the fandom is into and what it's like.

I've not seen Mirai so I comment on the Versus point...But yeah, Spiderverse was in fact THAT loving good. The characters were REALLY good and MASSIVELY elevated what in theory was the usual origin story type of thing to being legitimately amazing and even played off that trope and made a huge gag of it at various times. Also yeah the story about the nominees is true. They watch the movies on their own time not on some kind of viewing time to decide these things so the movie are almost completely based on what they've watched with their kids.

Yeah, Isekai tunnel a primal hole of escapism in my soul too. And at the same time, every time one does something even a little mould-breaking, it blows people away.

Mirai felt magical. I mean I can accept that the story was bare, but given that it was told from the view of a toddler was understandable. Immediately after watching, I was a bit upset about (minimized spoiler) how their grandparents met and the bet that lead to them dating but then it dawned on me that a child would NOT see that extremely obvious foreshadowing coming. And the whole story is through the eyes of a child. Also the visuals, the food, the hitting little girls with trains... It was also a weird and fascinating look at their religion and culture, and how they approach faith related issues.

Please watch Mirai.

KomeradeCanadian fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 24, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Yeah, Isekai tunnel a primal hole of escapism in my soul too. And at the same time, every time one does something even a little mould-breaking, it blows people away.

Mirai felt magical. I mean I can accept that the story was bare, but given that it was told from the view of a toddler was understandable. Immediately after watching, I was a bit upset about (minimized spoiler) how their grandparents met and the bet that lead to them dating but then it dawned on me that a child would NOT see that extremely obvious foreshadowing coming. And the whole story is through the eyes of a child. Also the visuals, the food, the hitting little girls with trains... It was also a weird and fascinating look at their religion and culture, and how they approach faith related issues.

Please watch Mirai.

I'll definitely watch Mirai.

quote:

This is something that makes Slime stand out so much to me that a lot of people miss. It's not him being a Slime that's incredibly unique and different just like it's not the world or it's mechanics or the characters. It's the the amount of detail the author goes into describing things most people wouldn't even notice(that I can't post even though mundane since, spoilers maybe?) like the construction and internal monologues for characters and the fact that the MC was a grown rear end adult with no real hang ups about his life and was a legitimately good decent person in a genre where the MC usually has SOME kind of reason to be GLAD that he died and got reincarnated or simply got spirited away into some fantasy world and are some degree of otaku neet and/or huge dick and usually failed at life in some major capacity.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why do people keep finding reasons to make several lovely quarantine threads for shows and still spend pages talking about them in season chat

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
gently caress spoilers if you're gonna talk about slime like its some great work of literature at least tell me why

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The Colonel posted:

why do people keep finding reasons to make several lovely quarantine threads for shows and still spend pages talking about them in season chat

I too am confused as to why slime keeps getting posted about here :unsmigghh:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I thought Mirai felt disconnected and rushed, and more like going down a check list of things to show. Though I will admit I may have missed some things from viewing it without translation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my movie of the year is liz and the blue bird but since we're playing by dumb oscars rules spider-man is the only one on their list i watched and it was pretty good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Captain Cappy posted:

I too am confused as to why slime keeps getting posted about here :unsmigghh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

gently caress spoilers if you're gonna talk about slime like its some great work of literature at least tell me why

It is a fun and positive show and I am enjoying it, personally. It's certainly not for everyone, or life changing high art, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DisDisDis posted:

Who talked about it like that?

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

We never said it was a great work. It's a rare isekai that's wholesome, with a relateable, likeable protagonist, who helps people, instead of the usual shagrin of autistic nerd becomes god of videogameland. And I think even without the bias of gamer appeal, it's still a very nice show.

Sorry if the discussion is... leaking containment? But the talk was about isekais overall, and the trend (pronounced: plague) where they cater to incels more and more.

nielsm posted:

I thought Mirai felt disconnected and rushed, and more like going down a check list of things to show. Though I will admit I may have missed some things from viewing it without translation.

I'm sorry what? Without translation? Yeah you missed a bit.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

It's not him being a Slime that's incredibly unique and different just like it's not the world or it's mechanics or the characters. It's the the amount of detail the author goes into describing things most people wouldn't even notice(that I can't post even though mundane since, spoilers maybe?)

i wanna know

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

KomeradeCanadian posted:

I'm sorry what? Without translation? Yeah you missed a bit.

i man. presumably they know some amount of japanese and just had some trouble following scenes as someone learning the language

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chumbler posted:

It is a fun and positive show and I am enjoying it, personally. It's certainly not for everyone, or life changing high art, though.

This. It does a LOT of things right that people gently caress up in the genre. I'm not gonna call it high art(which I'm not quote sure where THAT came from), but it's legit very good. And it gets brought up because it's ongoing for this year as well so it crosses over into 2019's Winter shows since it was a 2 cour.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

i wanna know

watch and discover :)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i read the manga way back, it's mediocre

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think dis was literally saying that people are calling it high art i think that was an expression of frustration over the fact that 90% of discussion about slime that happens in this thread is about how it totally dunks on those incel isekai anime that nobody itt is really watching or talking about which is really loving boring to read for six months straight

just. discuss the loving anime as its own thing for its own reasons

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

though unironically, while I've liked shows that have more or less the same general appeal as what you're describing, the constant comparisons to a generalized "typical isekai" just makes me think a lot of people need to take a break from the WN thread

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the way people talk about the slime show makes it sound like slipped them a crisp benjamin franklin

e: not to imply you have to be Bought Off to like it, go with god, but it's spoken of in a way that sounds like it did people favors

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe they just like the show?