Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Filthy Hans posted:

Watching the Fyre doc, is it wrong to hate the influencers more than anyone else?

I'm somewhat of a luddite, but understand things. The influencers thing basically begged to set myself on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Glad I'm not the only one offended by that concept of an "influencer". Also just finished that documentary.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The craziest thing about it is that it’s used as a positive descriptor. It should be like “that guy is an influencer. Get him!”

But I guess brainwashing youth by schilling garbage without even telling people it’s an ad is a point of pride in the bizarro world we live in.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

The craziest thing about it is that it’s used as a positive descriptor. It should be like “that guy is an influencer. Get him!”

But I guess brainwashing youth by schilling garbage without even telling people it’s an ad is a point of pride in the bizarro world we live in.

i mean, it's kind of hard to make "people like you enough, despite you not actually doing anything of note, to blindly follow what you consume" a negative statement. that's a textbook definition of Having It Fuckin' Made.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Alterian posted:

After now watching the Hulu fyre festival documentary I have reached the conclusion that cocaine is a hell of a drug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPW8NJzMOqw

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Lycus posted:

Part of me wants the context of that guy running at the camera at the campsite on the Netflix doc, but it's probably boring. As is, it's looks like something out of a horror movie and that's perfect.

I don't know, but that was the same shithead who said he and his friends didn't want neighbors, so they ransacked and destroyed every tent around them (one of which they pissed on).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Genchat crosspost:

Come Sunday on Netflix is rather good. It's like First Reformed but with a dryer aesthetic and a lack of apocalypticism. Schraeder's film does a really good job of portraying the seeming hopelessness of establishment, organized religion in a era where it not only has very little power to oppose, but is often instrumental in accelerating the material-immiseration and ecological devastation of the world around us. Come Sunday is a good companion piece because it's more contained to questions of how establishment religion, even within its purely spiritualist parameters, fails to address unique crises of the human spirit, which inevitably results in schisms that attempt to resolve those crises, but which are then inevitably rebuked as heresy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVQFWvm_fbU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lycus posted:

Who the hell coined that terrible term?

Social media marketers.

It's what we do, and I say that as someone who's been in marketing for more or less 15 years. A new platform arises, and marketing people rush to find a way to exploit it until it's ruined and near-worthless.

There's a reason I've been considering going back to just managing a hotel front desk for however long I'm able to continue working.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not sure exactly how recently, but Leave No Trace is now available on Prime. I actually haven't seen it myself but I've heard good things and I'm very much looking forward to a rare Ben Foster lead role.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You on Netflix is...interesting. Dude is obviously a huge irredeemable piece of poo poo but he’s just strangely compelling to watch and almost sympathize with. I haven’t finished it yet but I imagine since it’s getting a second season it’s about to all come crashing down and he’ll escape and then it’s just waiting for justice to maybe happen.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure exactly how recently, but Leave No Trace is now available on Prime. I actually haven't seen it myself but I've heard good things and I'm very much looking forward to a rare Ben Foster lead role.

Yeah, definitely worth seeing and Ben Foster is very good in it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It's pretty good, especially the young actress. I kinda hated him by the end of it, though.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Man, Patriot is crazy good. I just started it on Tuesday and the only thing that kept me from watching more after work was my wife wanting to catch up on dumb ol True Detective s3.

Which isnt actually dumb, but has thus far completely failed to hold my attention. Even the kinda crap second season kept me watching til the end, but I can hear my phone calling to me from the side table when a new episode of season three comes on. Lady likes it tho.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Line True Crime docs? There's a Ted Bundy series now.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just watched "occupation" on netflix and it sucked rear end, more or less. has there been a single good film or movie about an alien occupation since the original "V" miniseries?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh, I think I watched a bit of that one before turning it off.

Lots of people liked "Colony" alright.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lycus posted:

Oh, I think I watched a bit of that one before turning it off.

Lots of people liked "Colony" alright.

I mean, it isn't literally the worst movie ever made and has a few halfway decent sequences where they do Red Dawn, But With Aliens, but that is unable to makeup for the literal gray-headed big-eyed rubber suited aliens with nonsense motivations and stupid generic design

as for Colony, I can see why people liked it I guess, but it felt like another one of those lovely melodrama character-driven "action" shows that just uses the premise as a background for extremely boring and generic scripts. even the remake of V, which could have been good since the original is legitimately fantastic in every way, was just dreck

D:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I watched some of this one called "Skyline", and turned it off when it seemed like "People watch the characters of Independence Day fight through a telescope".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

I watched some of this one called "Skyline", and turned it off when it seemed like "People watch the characters of Independence Day fight through a telescope".

I think they made an even worse sequel to that one. Didn’t Battle for Los Angeles or whatever it was called come out at the same time? Never saw that one but the previews looked decent.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Never seen it, but it's got a low tomato rating.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They both suck.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skyline 2 was even more insane than the first, with the highlight being Iko Uwais and Mad Dog from The Raid killing aliens with their silat skills.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Skyline owns. I haven't seen the sequel, though -- was it by a different director or am I thinking of some other movie?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think they made an even worse sequel to that one. Didn’t Battle for Los Angeles or whatever it was called come out at the same time? Never saw that one but the previews looked decent.

Battle for Los Anglers’ biggest sin is being incredibly boring, but the alien designs are decent.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

You on Netflix is...interesting. Dude is obviously a huge irredeemable piece of poo poo but he’s just strangely compelling to watch and almost sympathize with. I haven’t finished it yet but I imagine since it’s getting a second season it’s about to all come crashing down and he’ll escape and then it’s just waiting for justice to maybe happen.

Many men probably symphatized with him after his 8 seconds sex.

That episode is actually pretty interesting though because I think that's when it first switched to Beck's POV.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

V was cheesy but also had some decent political allegory, the aliens also wore rubber masks but were still somehow scary and compelling, and that poo poo was on a shoestring budget nearly 40 years ago. how is it nothing has been able to approach that, what a bummer

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The MSJ posted:

That episode is actually pretty interesting though because I think that's when it first switched to Beck's POV.

It was the only time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lycus posted:

It’s the worst loving movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I just watched "occupation" on netflix and it sucked rear end, more or less. has there been a single good film or movie about an alien occupation since the original "V" miniseries?

Man of Steel

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

Infinity War

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
In case anyone was wondering the new season of The Punisher is butt. Stay away unless you absolutely hate your free time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Frog Act posted:

They Live

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Does District 13 count as an alien occupation movie?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Does District 13 count as an alien occupation movie?

I wouldn't say so. "Alien refugee" shows/movies are a different thing. Alien Nation, etc.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Skyline is a low budget sci-fi bottle movie that escalates tremendously literally during the end credits, then has a weird international action-movie sequel that picks up immediately afterwards and involves knife fights with alien biomechs and then an even greater escalation in the last shot of the movie.

They're not "good" but I can't say that they're bad.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

CheesyDog posted:

Skyline is a low budget sci-fi bottle movie that escalates tremendously literally during the end credits, then has a weird international action-movie sequel that picks up immediately afterwards and involves knife fights with alien biomechs and then an even greater escalation in the last shot of the movie.

They're not "good" but I can't say that they're bad.

I usually dislike movies that can be summarized like that but I agree, they are both not bad and today that is saying something.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gallatin posted:

I usually dislike movies that can be summarized like that but I agree, they are both not bad and today that is saying something.

Yeah, they're not done in the ironic SharkMovie genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Lycus posted:

I wouldn't say so. "Alien refugee" shows/movies are a different thing. Alien Nation, etc.

You're totally right, occupation implies a hostile force while the aliens in D13 are just refugees bumming around in their ghettos.

On a different note, they are going to start filming the amazon Wheel of Time series in Prague in September. I'm so loving stoked for it, I love me some epic, genre-tropey fantasy stuff with swords and magic. Hook it to my veins, gimme all the braid tugging and sniffing (and spanking).