Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SHISHKABOB posted:

Doors of Pharros is such a weird zone. Did those Gyrm guys build it? Why does Ornifex tell you her home is "down the way" when there's this huge labyrinthine cavern in the way.

I mean to be fair, if you deign to skip the majority of the Doors and beeline the exit, the cavern is pretty short and straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah if you know where you're going. I guess the lit torch is a hint.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Also Ornifex is a bird. She can fly there.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Right down the road...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bogart posted:

Right down the road...

The sky road.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there a bonfire closer to the Undead Purgatory than the one right under the bridge? It takes a long-rear end time to get back up there, kiting out all those dark executioner dudes one at a time. It took me several tries to bring down the phantom at the end of the bridge and I'm afraid to go in the fog door.

Also I will say that the game has only increased its Kings-Field-iness as it's gone on. The Shaded Ruins and Doors of Pharros and Harvest Valley were all extremely KF. But it's still just the general feeling that there are a million different ways to go and you're mostly gated by how much the enemies will clobber you rather than keys and doors. There's also a weird imbalance in the areas that reminds me of KF: for example, I died approximately one billion times in Harvest Valley but the boss didn't even hit me, and now all the big knight guys in Iron Keep are significantly easier than those drat headless flippy guys in the windmill. This could, of course, just be a build thing: I have a +10 Battle Axe that can safely handle anything that thinks it has enough poise to take hits from me, but things that dodge, ugh.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Is there a bonfire closer to the Undead Purgatory than the one right under the bridge? It takes a long-rear end time to get back up there, kiting out all those dark executioner dudes one at a time. It took me several tries to bring down the phantom at the end of the bridge and I'm afraid to go in the fog door.

Nope. The phantom doesn't respawn, though, if that helps any.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I ran into the fog, watched the cutscene, and immediately turned to the right and fell to my death. Dark Souls. Then I came back and chopped up a ghost horse with my big axe. Also Dark Souls. Then I used the dude in there to buy Firestorm and charred a bunch of rats and now I work for the rats. Darkest Souls.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
A big tree that's on fire invited me to Drangleic Castle, so that's fun, but is there any reason I should hold off on going through the DLC thing at the end of Iron Keep? Are the DLCs intended to be post-game and/or significantly harder like the DS1 DLC?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The DLCs are intended as post-game content, but nothing says you can't poke your head in to check things out. Like most of DS2, they work best with the strategy of pushing as far as you can in one direction, then going off to do something else and coming back when you're stronger.

The enemies have some insane poise though, so it's tricky to stagger them, if that's part of your usual strategy.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I did them a bit after Iron Keep. Probably 3-4 areas after Iron Keep. They are definitely harder in that the enemies are beefier, but they're definitely doable. I didn't do them straight through. I'd get to a point where it was annoyingly hard, go back to the main game, then push forward some more. I did that until I ran out of main game. I beat Nashandra before I beat any DLC boss.

I recommend having a lot of health before you try them in earnest. Otherwise you're easily combo-ed to death and/or you run out of Estus well before you hit another bonfire.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The DLCs are pretty drat hard, but otoh
- your max weapon level is +10, and you can easily have that by now
- scaling is of course important, but if your mainstat is like 25-30 now, that's also fine
- more levels won't make them significantly easier
- there's very juicy poo poo in there even quite early

I say try all of them out until they seem too much for you, and if you like one, stick with it for a while. You can always postpone bosses or annoying zones.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
For your first time through, I’d say that once you’ve reached Aldia’s Keep, you can at least dip your toes in. There’s only one locked thing that requires an endgame item to get in the Iron King dlc and I don’t know how best to talk around it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Only Ivory even has a mid-area boss that blocks access to other stuff in the DLC, so you should be more or less fine in the other two once you've gotten into Drangleic Castle.

I'm playing this right now and I two shot the mook enemies with 1handed +10 Greatsword and like 50 strength.

I got to help somebody kill fume knight earlier today and they sent me a thanks message. It's cool that people are still playing this. I was at like 3.3 million soul level. Not really finding anyone to summon for Aava, though.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Everybody in the 3-5 million tier is putting down signs on down the way at the Burnt Ivory King.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's cool that people are still playing this.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of other people I've been playing with--I really thought it'd be mostly dead. Twice now I've started new characters and had people help me kill the Pursuer on his first appearance. It takes like ten minutes with all his HP but it's pretty satisfying.

I'll go ahead and try out the DLC now. What's the worst that can happen, I die?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I really liked Brume Tower and the beginning of the next one (can’t remember the name, the one with the moving platforms you can lower and raise with those pillars) but I got stuck on one of the bosses in there. I haven’t tried the 3rd one (aside from the main game content that one added with the memories)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Just came across my first red crystal lizard. Sigh. I should have known.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wiltsghost posted:

Just came across my first red crystal lizard. Sigh. I should have known.

:yeshaha:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Doors of Pharros is such a weird zone. Did those Gyrm guys build it? Why does Ornifex tell you her home is "down the way" when there's this huge labyrinthine cavern in the way.

Pharros is one of my favourite characters lore wise in DS2, he's a good example of background detail storytelling. There was a really good and funny lore video on Pharros that I can't find anymore :(

But, it's implied that Pharros built the Doors as a haven for the Gyrm after they got booted underground. He did the same for the rats in Saint's Grave. Pharros was a cool dude that wanted to give people without any home a community to live in.

And then he became The Rotten :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://youtu.be/tuPFZZDg_Kc

Criminally underwatched.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

What are some good DEX weapons to be on the lookout for? I got the sword you get from the ancient dragon's soul, a variety of katanas, and one of the spider rapiers that has S Dex. Been having a good time power stancing katanas but looking to mix it up some in the late game/DLC.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mirrah/Old Mirrah Greatswords, the Murakumo or Arced Sword, any curved sword that isn't Red Rust Scimitar (STR-focused), various daggers, at least half the spears, halberds or reapers if you can :gitgud: at sweet spots, the Curved Twinblade, regular Claws, all fist weapons (including the Vanquisher's Seal :getin:), and of course don't forget bows like the Hunter's Blackbow. There's a lot of variety out there, even if most of those don't do as much per hit as the biggest STR weapons. And you are using the Stone Ring/Ring of Blades to take advantage of those faster hits, right?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The warped sword is sick, imo, but I see you've already loaded up on boss weapons. If you're hard up for dragonbone and want something that takes regular titanite, you could try a regular curved sword or spear (the partizan is a favourite).

but naturally the actual best dex weapon is the puzzling stone sword

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Thanks, that gives me some good ideas what to check out. This is my second time through but I still stubbornly didn't look up Lucatiel's quest so I guess I missed out on Mirrah Greatsword, but I'm using some smaller weapons anyways. I didn't know about the stone ring, that looks insanely useful for the way this character plays.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stone Ring is nearly essential for low-damage/many-hit weapons imo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bogart posted:

Stone Ring is nearly essential for low-damage/many-hit weapons imo.

It applies to spells, too. Force + Stone Ring will stagger almost everything in the game in a single cast.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Stone Ring is, if not the best ring in the game, exceptionally good. It allows you to break enemy poise quickly enough that even the Shulva Soldiers can't hold against it, and it's available so early in the game as to be deliberate.

The only time I don't use it is if I'm using a greathammer or the handful of other weapons with 60+ base poise damage, and even then if I have a smaller weapon as backup it's still a worthy choice.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Between the stone ring, counter damage, and R2 parries including during powerstance, thrusting swords are easily more fun in DS2 than the other entries.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Well, the stone ring sure did make a big difference! Really nice being able to actually use the faster moves with less poise dmg on the lesser enemies without having to constantly dodge.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I just picked this up on sale.
I totally gimped myself by picking explorer didn't I?
What's a good weapon and shield to lean on for the early game? Is dabbling in magic worth it?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
No shield! You can do it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

What's a good weapon and shield to lean on for the early game? Is dabbling in magic worth it?

Explorer is actually one of the best starting classes due to the large number of items you get, relatively neutral stat distribution, and dope-rear end armor set. Your best bet early is to lean on the Longsword, as it's got a good balance of range and speed against most enemies (and you can find a good one if you search around one of the early areas). For shields, Maughlin the Armorer sells a fairly good 95% Physical shield that'll get you through the game until you can get a 100% Physical one.

Magic is good in DS2, although it's only really worthwhile if you're willing to invest in it. If you need ranged damage, a good crossbow or bow will be more than sufficient for the entire game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Explorer is fine, afair it starts with pretty high Adaptability, so you need less to get to 99 Agility (which you should, quickly). You need to pay a Strength tax to wear almost anything, but them's the breaks :v:.

Dabbling in magic is a perfectly fine idea. There are no good shields at the start, just use whatever you find (or can buy in town that looks halfway decent). Same goes for weapons at the very start, though the dagger is just fine if you can get used to backstabs.

Once you unlock the Blacksmith's, uh, smithy, you'll get a juicy selection of some of the best weapons in the game - Mace, Spear, Rapier are all amazing. You find the key along the forest path. Enjoy yourself!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm confused about how I level up and adaptability should go to 15 right?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So there are no utility spells?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Explorer is an all right class. You'll have to put in some points or dual-wield until you get your stats up, but on the upside, you've got an okay Agility to start off with. (Agility is determined by your Adaptability and, to a lesser extent, Attunement, and it affects how many invincibility frames you get for your roll.

A good weapon is anything that doesn't break before you find the blacksmith. Trust me, I started Deprived my first time through. As for a shield, there's some decent ones to be found in Forest of Fallen Giants. It'll be some time before you find a shield that has full physical resist though.

Magic is fine if you want to go down that path, but it'll take some time to find equipment.

e: Talk to the nice lady in the green robe, she'll help you out.

And there are utility spells, but none that are necessary unless you want to play that way.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm confused about how I level up and adaptability should go to 15 right?

You want to level up ADP up to the point that your Agility (AGI) stat is at 96. AGI is a derived stat from Adaptability and Attunement, and it determines the iframe count of your dodge roll.

Lawman 0 posted:

So there are no utility spells?

There's a few, although most of the good utility spells (Yearn) are fairly closely replicated by items. There's one really good buff spell - Sacred Oath - but it requires a fairly specific investment of stats and doesn't come until near the end of the game.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The relevant breakpoints for Agility, by the way, are 88, 92, and 96. 88 gives you as much protection as the slow roll from Dark Souls, 96 matches the medium roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Maybe. All the classes are missing something. Yours is missing the ability to equip much of anything without a bit of investment.

The Forest of Fallen Giants has a hand axe you can wield 2 handed with your starting stats but getting to it is going to take a good bit of parrying and backstabbing. You get it it by breaking the locked door above the Cardinal Tower bonfire a short way in. With 2 points in strength and 1 in dex you can use the morning star you can find in Majula 2 handed. You'll have to jump off a cliff on the road you first came in on to find it. Leningrast sells the almighty rapier but you'll need 12 dex to use it.

There are some useful buffs that don't have much in the way of stat requirements. It's honestly not a terrible idea to go 15-20 in all the offensive stats on your first playthrough if you're the sort that likes to try lots of things.