Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

nah, by design the ACA didn't extend the option of public health care to everyone, on the grounds that Obama thought that might have made the insurance companies work against it

i know, right, loving hilarious

I get ya, the system we're talking about would just give Medicare/aid to anyone who didn't report already having private insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Young Freud posted:

I'm betting if his SotU rally happened with the National Day Of Action springing up, he would literally be in the center of a riot where he could be abandoned by the Secret Service to an angry mob. Somebody realized that.

A SOTU in the House was already not going to happen based on Pelosi's letter today. Trump could just as easily have given the speech at a rally somewhere else, I think he's probably just looking at his week ahead and really not feeling making GBS threads out a 90 minute speech.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Luckyellow posted:

Why don't we just simply... don't tell them?

I mean, if we do have a robust and widespread public coverage, there won't be any private insurance for much longer if it has to compete with the public insurance. Why bother explaining the negative effects when we should just be focusing on the positive effects?

Haha that was my original position until Main Painframe convinced me otherwise.

The central problem is that if a super generous public plan drives private insurance out of business, that’s going to actually cause a lot of hardship and have ripple effects throughout the economy. After all you’re talking of tens of thousands of people losing their jobs, just for a start. In order for single payer to work, there must be things built in to help soften these effects. Which means discussing the fact that private insurance will be going away, and how we should best help assist in a smooth transition, must be part of the public conversation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Goffer posted:

I would have thought doing it at a rally would be right up his ally. Frame it as presenting it to the people instead of the out of touch democratic elite or something

sure but i doubt he has the security. like sure he would have his guards but if poo poo got bad, i wonder how many of these dudes would take a bullet/bottle for him especially with out pay.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Luckyellow posted:

Why don't we just simply... don't tell them?

I mean, if we do have a robust and widespread public coverage, there won't be any private insurance for much longer if it has to compete with the public insurance. Why bother explaining the negative effects when we should just be focusing on the positive effects?

My argument against this was that private insurance companies could ratfuck the government insurance plan by undercutting it, bribing providers to only take their insurance, or offering plans to employers and then you quit using the government plan because your employer already offers a plan.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Family Values posted:

Older Xer here, we definitely didn’t get away with more sex stuff than the boomers. We were squarely in the ‘SEX=DEATH’ AIDS panic.

I don’t have an alternative explanation though.

Same here. Rise of the Christian Right and lots of homophobia are tied into the AIDS panic and those all re-enforce toxic masculinity? There's think pieces floating around about how toy and video game marketers, and especially with video games, specifically tried to link them to gender. Look at Gamer Gate and Nerd Culture now, minorities and women are starting to break through but it's completely packed with lovely men and that's not by accident.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Washington Post has a breaking news banner that Trumpvis postponing SOTU until the government is reopened, but the link goes to an old article.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Strange Poon posted:

Same here. Rise of the Christian Right and lots of homophobia are tied into the AIDS panic and those all re-enforce toxic masculinity? There's think pieces floating around about how toy and video game marketers, and especially with video games, specifically tried to link them to gender. Look at Gamer Gate and Nerd Culture now, minorities and women are starting to break through but it's completely packed with lovely men and that's not by accident.

Gen-X is the instigators of '90s "edge", which would later spawn edgelords and shitlords.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Strange Poon posted:

i think the edgy 90s/early aughts was more of rebellious/edgy "gently caress you" against moral majority christian right culture then a direct outgrowth of it. they both drink at same spring of toxic masculity but they have different reasons and poo poo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Like, no one needs to talk in hypotheticals, most countries have hybrids of private and public insurance. Single payer is extremely rare in the world. We can look how various systems work.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Lock this particular plague out.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1088222315006046209

John Kelly, welcome to the #res... I cant even pretend to say it with a straight face

Kiss my rear end John Kelly you worthless piece of poo poo.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Young Freud posted:

Gen-X is the instigators of '90s "edge", which would later spawn edgelords and shitlords.

mountain dew so EXTREME look at how EXPOSED my BALLS are

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Have to say I'm a bit surprised Trump decided to cave on the SOTU. He must be exhausted or someone did a really good job convincing him because that's a timid as gently caress response to having the gauntlet thrown at him by a woman.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I find this person's ideas interesting and would like to subscribe to their newsletter.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"Meme wars"? The gently caress?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

It's always the dumbest loving poo poo.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Unzip and Attack posted:

Have to say I'm a bit surprised Trump decided to cave on the SOTU. He must be exhausted or someone did a really good job convincing him because that's a timid as gently caress response to having the gauntlet thrown at him by a woman.

The headline has vanished from the WP so, I dunno what that was about.

Edit: oh dummy id tweeting about it, nm

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1088299063462772736

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Biden still bad, so what? At least this news isn't him sexually assaulting people.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, no one needs to talk in hypotheticals, most countries have hybrids of private and public insurance. Single payer is extremely rare in the world. We can look how various systems work.

But, as far as I know, there’s been no country that had ever proposed as generous a package as Bernie’s plan (which by the way I support). So private insurance could exist in those other countries.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I lost my kids in the meme wars. One minute it was Beep Beep I'm a Sheep and then some one Rick rolled them and I never saw them again.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

T_D posters unironically believe that their posting of Pepe memes in 2016 was what got Trump elected. They also unironically believe that this deserves to be called a "war" and that they should take pride for having "fought" in it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Unzip and Attack posted:

Most likely he doesn't give a poo poo about doing scripted speeches that obviously bore him to death because they involve reading. One of the few things he hates more than EMAILS, taxes and short form birth certificates.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unzip and Attack posted:

Me too. But the way these things normally work, Donny initially doesn't react much or at all, then explodes at a later date; usually on Twitter. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a poo poo fit tomorrow morning.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

He looked at a racist Pepe the frog meme and then voted for trump.

None of these idiots are smart enough to make any of the Memes they post.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The complimenting the House is weird.

I just picture a snivelling Mulvaney forcing Trump to watch a long puppet show where he explains that Congress is a co-equal branch of government.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

T_D posters unironically believe that their posting of Pepe memes in 2016 was what got Trump elected. They also unironically believe that this deserves to be called a "war" and that they should take pride for having "fought" in it.

Are you trying to say you won the meme-wars, because obviously you didn't. The only way to win is to die before 2016.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I wonde if Trump isn’t doing his SOTU as a rally because he’s scared that the crowd might turn on him.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

The way the Dems / Pelosi have boxed him in on this is loving masterful. They just keep letting him hang himself with his own stupidity. The Dems are showing more unity and discipline than they have at any other point in decades imo.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

General Kenobi,

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Cable Guy posted:

Seriously, this is what shits me about the US healthcare argument. There's plenty of nations (here in Australia among them) that have both. If you can afford it, you pay for private, but if you're on a pension or low income, you have govt healthcare as a lifeboat.

Why is it always all or nothing with these people?

Because a lot of these people are boomers stubbornly feigning themselves into being stupid and helpless. You're explaining something very simple to people who are just brick walls.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Grapplejack posted:

There's zero chance he actually wrote that.

:hmmyes:

I eagerly await the actual tweets by Trump at 3am about how it's really his idea in the first place and Nancy Pelosi (who's a liar BTW) will be happy to host him because the state of the union is so bigly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Comrade Fakename posted:

I wonde if Trump isn’t doing his SOTU as a rally because he’s scared that the crowd might turn on him.

I don't think he's capable of forming the thought that people don't like him

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Unzip and Attack posted:

The way the Dems / Pelosi have boxed him in on this is loving masterful. They just keep letting him hang himself with his own stupidity. The Dems are showing more unity and discipline than they have at any other point in decades imo.

It's really unbelievable how he can't let Pelosi have the last word. You just know her latest response is throwing him into a complete tantrum, I can't wait to see the stupid screeds he vomits tomorrow.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
non-crazy composed tweet signalling a retreat AND no public events scheduled for tomorrow?

He loving broke and they're playing for time in hopes that the president stops weeping and kicking the floor

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Say what you will about Pelosi, but I'm gonna say if you didn't even think about smiling at the way she twisted the knife in him right here there might be something wrong with you.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

non-crazy composed tweet signalling a retreat AND no public events scheduled for tomorrow?

He loving broke and they're playing for time in hopes that the president stops weeping and kicking the floor

Honestly at this point I'm wondering if the dementia has progressed far enough that they just tweet stuff to his account and then convince him that he wrote it later.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
So, shutdown until 2020 or impeachment at this point? He's painted anything other than getting his wall as complete failure and everyone knows he'll pull this again next year whether or not they give him a year's funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xand_Man posted:

Honestly at this point I'm wondering if the dementia has progressed far enough that they just tweet stuff to his account and then convince him that he wrote it later.

If he likes the content/tone he'd claim it regardless.