Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think the P in Vitamin P might stand for Prat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The OMG SHARIA thing is fear mongering, pure and simple. It's big in the US and Canada amongst chuds. Basically, you know when you buy a phone or whatever you sign a contract where you waive your right to sue the phone company and have to go through arbitration that his heavily slanted in favor of the phone company? The Sharia thing is kind of like that, except not as terrible. Families can choose to resolve disputes under sharia law (or Jewish law or Christian law) and the decision can be binding... if the parties both agree to it. If the result is contrary to secular law, or one party disagrees with the result, then the dispute is resolved in the courts. It's usually used for family law because it's far cheaper than hiring lawyers (or barristers or solicitors or whatever you limeys use) and the results are generally similar to what you'd expect to see in family court. That is to say, arbitrary and capricious.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

JFairfax, "Hitler was a king, basically." - January 23rd, 2019.

I didn't say anything about Hitler, and he definitely does not count as being a king because he rose to power through the democratic expression of the German people voting for the Nazi party. Repeatedly.

It was only once he was in the position of power that Hitler shut down democracy.

Also his famous racial Nuremberg laws were based upon the marvellous race laws of the great democratic republic of the United States of America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93WRQ8HT_WA

if you want a really good overview of where we are with Brexit, this is a fantastic piece:

It's long, but really really good by someone who knows their poo poo.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/european-institute/sites/european-institute/files/sir_ivan_rogers_lecture_ucl_22012019.pdf

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Used to get this poo poo all the time from a proto-Proud Boy I met in college, the only proof he could muster was some Channel 5 dribble about a trio of Islamic failsons going around some street in London, putting SHARIA ZONE stickers on the lamposts and calling women they bumped into sluts.

It was around that time that Britain First started pulling their ANTI-SHARIA PATROL in the same area and got in trouble for picking fights with randos.

Whatever happened to BF, how many of their leadership got outed as nonces?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SteelMentor posted:

Whatever happened to BF, how many of their leadership got outed as nonces?

Their supporters are working on BBC's Question Time:

The BBC has reminded staff on its flagship Question Time programme of the need to be impartial at work and on social media after a producer was found to have shared posts from the Facebook page of far-right party Britain First.

The corporation was forced to act after an audience producer’s Facebook profile was found to include posts from the hate group, which has long-used messages of support for armed forces and veterans to increase its reach on social media.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bbc-question-time-producer-britain-first_uk_5846dfabe4b019db8c11add0

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JFairfax posted:

Their supporters are working on BBC's Question Time:

The BBC has reminded staff on its flagship Question Time programme of the need to be impartial at work and on social media after a producer was found to have shared posts from the Facebook page of far-right party Britain First.

The corporation was forced to act after an audience producer’s Facebook profile was found to include posts from the hate group, which has long-used messages of support for armed forces and veterans to increase its reach on social media.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bbc-question-time-producer-britain-first_uk_5846dfabe4b019db8c11add0

Ah, lovely :shepicide:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

JFairfax posted:

I didn't say anything about Hitler, and he definitely does not count as being a king because he rose to power through the democratic expression of the German people voting for the Nazi party. Repeatedly.

It was only once he was in the position of power that Hitler shut down democracy.

Read a history book, because that's not what happened. "The German People" didn't vote for the Nazis, they never even reached a majority. They couldn't even form a coalition government in the Reichstag. Hitler had to be appointed chancellor through decree by von Hindenberg.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Read a history book, because that's not what happened. "The German People" didn't vote for the Nazis, they never even reached a majority. They couldn't even form a coalition government in the Reichstag. Hitler had to be appointed chancellor through decree by von Hindenberg.

I think you'll find that german people did actually vote for the Nazis in elections.

I once saw Tony Blair tell a room full of schoolchildren that the Nazi electoral success was a good argument against proportional representation lol.

Hitler wouldn't have been appointed Chancellor if his party had not enjoyed considerable electoral success over the previous decade.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JFairfax posted:

I think you'll find that german people did actually vote for the Nazis in elections.

I once saw Tony Blair tell a room full of schoolchildren that the Nazi electoral success was a good argument against proportional representation lol.

Hitler wouldn't have been appointed Chancellor if his party had not enjoyed considerable electoral success over the previous decade.

Yes and the Nazis were repeatedly defeated in those elections. When you say poo poo like "The German People" you're implying that they represented some kind of popular democratic will, when the fact of the matter is that they didn't. The Nazi cabinet was formed undemocratically by von Hindenberg trying to force a government. This is just more of your elitist trash trying to excuse why you shouldn't have any democracy at all.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes and the Nazis were repeatedly defeated in those elections. When you say poo poo like "The German People" you're implying that they represented some kind of popular democratic will, when the fact of the matter is that they didn't. The Nazi cabinet was formed undemocratically by von Hindenberg trying to force a government. This is just more of your elitist trash trying to excuse why you shouldn't have any democracy at all.

I think it's you who needs to re-read the history books, in the 1933 Federal elections the Nazi party was the single biggest party in the German Reichstag, with 43% of the vote and 288 seats.

This wasn't a two party system, so the Nazis were the most popular single party at the ballot box.

If you win that much of the vote in a system with 6 main parties, you won the election, hence why Hitler was made chancellor, because he led the largest party.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JFairfax posted:

I think it's you who needs to re-read the history books, in the 1933 Federal elections the Nazi party was the single biggest party in the German Reichstag, with 43% of the vote and 288 seats.

This wasn't a two party system, so the Nazis were the most popular single party at the ballot box.

lmao

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

JFairfax posted:

If you win that much of the vote in a system with 6 main parties, you won the election, hence why Hitler was made chancellor, because he led the largest party.

In the months before the 1933 election, brownshirts and SS displayed "terror, repression and propaganda [...] across the land", and Nazi organizations "monitored" the vote process. In Prussia 50,000 members of the SS, SA and Stahlhelm were ordered to monitor the votes by acting Interior Minister Hermann Göring, as auxiliary police.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

BottleKnight posted:

In the months before the 1933 election, brownshirts and SS displayed "terror, repression and propaganda [...] across the land", and Nazi organizations "monitored" the vote process. In Prussia 50,000 members of the SS, SA and Stahlhelm were ordered to monitor the votes by acting Interior Minister Hermann Göring, as auxiliary police.

see, more proof that democracy doesn't work

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
read history books i cry as i only glance at the info box of the wiki article that pops up when i put 1933 german election into google

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
its been a while since I read this thread, but I'm glad I chose page 670

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

JFairfax posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

luckily the British system of government has never led to any types of Hitlers. now to enjoy a nice cup of tea as I read about this Churchill fellow

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

BREKSIT!

https://i.imgur.com/rCl9SDh.gifv

https://twitter.com/razza699/status/1087425374894600192

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
now do it to the queen's palace

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I see my Hitler honeypot worked. You may all thank me later

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i thought some brekshitting happened but twas merely threadshitting

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
"burden of proof goes both ways"

lol either vitamin p is insanely dumb, or he is trolling, either way can we please probate him for this dumb schtick

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Going back to this. I'm not sure how it logically follows that just because the legislative work hasn't been done to make Brexit law, that necessarily means it's "cancelled." If the deadline for Brexit comes and there's no deal, then the EU shuts its doors.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Going back to this. I'm not sure how it logically follows that just because the legislative work hasn't been done to make Brexit law, that necessarily means it's "cancelled." If the deadline for Brexit comes and there's no deal, then the EU shuts its doors.

Lots of people are in serious denial that anybody but parliament and/or the hag queen could possibly have their own say in the matter.

Not to mention that like 25 percent think No Deal means Remain.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

seems like the underlying assumption of the article was "there's not enough time to actually do may's deal, or even to do a proper no deal brexit that sets a foundation for the super great trade agreements that are definitely just around the corner, the only thing left is an utterly disastrous abrupt brexit that would destroy the economy and there's no way parliament will just let that happen so surely they're going to revoke a50"

which makes me wonder which planet they've been on lately because there's no sign anywhere that something being a disastrous self-own will keep anyone from forging ahead with it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hailthefish posted:

seems like the underlying assumption of the article was "there's not enough time to actually do may's deal, or even to do a proper no deal brexit that sets a foundation for the super great trade agreements that are definitely just around the corner, the only thing left is an utterly disastrous abrupt brexit that would destroy the economy and there's no way parliament will just let that happen so surely they're going to revoke a50"

which makes me wonder which planet they've been on lately because there's no sign anywhere that something being a disastrous self-own will keep anyone from forging ahead with it

The implication is definitely that the only choice is to revoke A50, but it never outright says it when it’s a really simple point. Do they think something else is gonna happen?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

who knows?!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

This mentally ill man is the hero we need right now.

Just diggers all around the country smashing up mansions and hotels and banks and running over the heads of the rich.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

take note shut down Americans, this man will never have a late payment again

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The implication is definitely that the only choice is to revoke A50, but it never outright says it when it’s a really simple point. Do they think something else is gonna happen?

the context is that a majority of MPs voted remain, and that revoking article 50 is being openly talked about by tories, who are also publicly making moves to ensure they can overrule the government and make a revocation legally binding

they're tories so they won't do poo poo until real late in the day, but tories like retiring to jobs in Europe, they like their second homes and skiing holidays, and they're all looking at David Cameron living in his shed and hawking bitcoin while feeling more and more nervous about their own future bullshit job potential. The army have consistently said the UK doesn't have the logistic infrastructure to cope with no deal, and are getting louder each time the tories say "replace lorries with tanks, what is the problem". Labour have ruled out a lot of poo poo but they've never once ruled out simply revoking a50, and it's pretty drat clear they'll three-line whip it if the tories make a move. LD, SNP and Greens will all have 100% turnout on this too.

If it comes down to No Deal then Brexit is off - the non poo poo parties are all on board with this, and tory self-interest can be relied upon to get the 10 vote swing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Tory leadership absolutely plans to make out like bandits by going all collapsing-USSR disaster capitalist kleptocrat on the country, but I bet the middle class of the party may be able to realise that they'd be the victims rather than the kleptocrats.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Cameron lives in a shed? To be closer to pigs one assumes, I refuse to believe that guy doesn't have 9 golden parachutes.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

An insane mind posted:

Cameron lives in a shed? To be closer to pigs one assumes, I refuse to believe that guy doesn't have 9 golden parachutes.

he has 0 golden parachutes because he hosed over every business in Europe lol

Gideon, architect of austerity, has I think 8 jobs now and a newspaper. He uses it to call theresa may stupid, a lot.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Spangly A posted:

He uses it to call theresa may stupid, a lot.

His commitment to pettiness is his sole redeeming feature

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Randler posted:

Not to mention that like 25 percent think No Deal means Remain.

Holy poo poo is this true or just some funny made up factoid

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Spangly A posted:

he has 0 golden parachutes because he hosed over every business in Europe lol

farage found a taker in the US, so let’s see what happens!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Jel Shaker posted:

take note Americans, this man will never be paid again

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Who would actually revoke article 50 though if Parliament voted to do so? If it's supposed to be the executive then what happens if tezza just flat out refuses to do so and cannot be removed from office?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/1088029094187581441

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

The 'funny' thing about Brexit not happening in the end, isn't the damage already done? Jobs leaving to mainland Europe and supply lines hiccuping and stuff like that? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding something about a50 and the preparations for it?

You're still pointing the gun at your own head and pulling the trigger, you're just hoping that you can live with a hole in your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

An insane mind posted:

The 'funny' thing about Brexit not happening in the end, isn't the damage already done? Jobs leaving to mainland Europe and supply lines hiccuping and stuff like that? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding something about a50 and the preparations for it?

You're still pointing the gun at your own head and pulling the trigger, you're just hoping that you can live with a hole in your head.

If they actually do the Brexit, food and medicine stops coming into the UK from Europe.