Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Glagha posted:

How dare you make light of our beloved shonen anime where men punch spaghetti and try very poorly to seduce guards in drag and we have a dog who likes to chew people's hair and fart on them. This is very serious business, this bizarre adventure.

Shut da gently caress up Glagha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah actually they will posted:

Shut da gently caress up Glagha

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
JoJo's is an ode to life and a celebration of humanity. :colbert:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I would understand the joke more if there was some hint of him being dumb in that scene, but it was literally his brother telling him that it's time to make his own decisions and whether he wants to give up and die, or go back to Morioh. It was kind of the exact opposite of him being too dumb to die.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Momomo posted:

I would understand the joke more if there was some hint of him being dumb in that scene, but it was literally his brother telling him that it's time to make his own decisions and whether he wants to give up and die, or go back to Morioh. It was kind of the exact opposite of him being too dumb to die.

Excuse me, sir! Sir? I find your attempt at humor very confusing. How would an orange or banana be knocking at my door in the first place, and furthermore...

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Especially ADTRW for some reason. It’s why I stopped going into the One Piece manga thread.

Wow I guess you love going on boring adventures :D D::d:D: D:D :D :d:D :D :D

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Star Platinum posted:

JoJo's is an ode to life and a celebration of humanity. :colbert:

:emptyquote:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Glagha posted:

Excuse me, sir! Sir? I find your attempt at humor very confusing. How would an orange or banana be knocking at my door in the first place, and furthermore...

calm down, weirdo

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Johnny Joestar posted:

calm down, weirdo

Lol

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay this stops now. I initially didnt want people getting mad about jokes but I only added to it, my bad. Take it to PMs if you still wanna name call and corncob yourself.

Otherwise talk about the animated bizarre adventures of people named JoJo like adults

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Glagha posted:

How dare you make light of our beloved shonen anime where men punch spaghetti and try very poorly to seduce guards in drag and we have a dog who likes to chew people's hair and fart on them. This is very serious business, this bizarre adventure.

I'm not judging you for making light of any of those things. I'm judging you for making light of the scene in our beloved shonen anime where, as he is about to die, a boy is finally shown the love and respect he has yearned for but never received from his brother, who he has been physically and emotionally dependent on for his entire life up to this point, and it is this one final push that allows him to move on past the his brother's death, and decide his own path. In doing so, he and his brother together acknowledge that he has indeed completed his goal of "surpassing his brother" by attaining the confidence and wisdom to live on his own, and the development of this spiritual strength, which took place over nearly the entire Part, is what gives him the physical strength to miraculously recover from what was supposedly a lethal wound. "Okuyasu too dumb to die" doesn't work as a humorously brief summary of events because it is not factually correct, and also I don't enjoy it when people say it, even as a joke, because it makes me feel like people don't understand everything I love about that specific scene or Okuyasu in general if they are willing to act so flippant about it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

You know people can understand all that and still make jokes, right?

ANYWAY how about that Jojo’s? How about that show with the Jojos?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know people can understand all that and still make jokes, right?

ANYWAY how about that Jojo’s? How about that show with the Jojos?

I wanna see what crazy nonsense Bruno gonna pull to not die here.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Glagha posted:

It probably won't happen but the best way to end the fight is Bruno positioning himself to ride a zipper along the ground with one hand while grinding Prosciutto against the ground with the other

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Especially ADTRW for some reason. It’s why I stopped going into the One Piece manga thread.

I'm shocked that One Piece fans enjoy the same joke over and over.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Glagha posted:

It probably involves zippers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sticky Fingers Act 2 will be velcro

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

You know, Sticky Fingers May seem like a crazy overpowered stand, but keep in mind, it would probably hurt to put your dick in one of those zipper holes it makes, so overall it’s really only like a 2/10 stand at best

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the gang: 'please, bruno, be careful!!!'

bruno: 'oof ow my penis'

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I wanna know if Bruno's eyesight is all hosed up given that his eyes are now like 2 feet apart from one another.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I decided to make playlists based on the JoJo parts and their many musical references. Here's the one for Diamond is Unbreakable: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3rybu5zeA9KUoBMrc9Nd0g

Any suggestions? I'm unfamiliar with many of the bands/albums in question, so I'm open to recommendations of better songs to represent those.

A few notes:
  • Asia's Aqua is apparently not available on Spotify, at least not for free, but Who Will Stop the Rain, a song from Aqua, is available as part of Different Worlds, an Asia album that Wikipedia makes no mention of. :iiam:
  • See Emily Play and Arnold Layne are apparently someone on the Jojo wiki's guess for what Reimi and Arnold are supposed to be references to. See Emily Play in particular seems like a stretch, but they fit the pattern of Pink Floyd references in Part 4, and it would have felt weird not having something to represent Reimi, at least.
  • Wow, Pink Floyd loved making really long songs! This works perfectly for Shine on You, Crazy Diamond, since I can use one half to represent Jotaro Meets Josuke and the other to represent The Unbreakable Crazy Diamond. Unfortunately, Echoes isn't split up on Spotify the same way.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 24, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I can't take JoJo very seriously when my introduction to it was the season 1 anime with the terrible fan subs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CJ posted:

I can't take JoJo very seriously when my introduction to it was the season 1 anime with the terrible fan subs.

People take Jojo super seriously?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh my god shut the hell up.

Sincerely caring about fiction is badass and that's the last post about it. I legitimately don't want anyone to post here if they don't take the events of JoJo as seriously as the characters in JoJo do

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I prefer to consume anime with a healthy amount of ironic detachment.

I thought the scene where Caesar died was pretty funny with how over the top dramatic it was.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

People take Jojo super seriously?

Sometimes it is fun to both sincerely care about and discuss what you feel are the deeper themes and philosophies behind a work as well as enjoy it for the fun, strange, bizarre aesthetic and feeling the work creates and inspires

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
As goofy and weird as the series gets, there is some stuff that is legit powerful with some amazing execution.

But that's still far away. For now let us enjoy our Italian gangster boy band.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CJ posted:

I thought the scene where Caesar died was pretty funny with how over the top dramatic it was.
i sincerely cannot recommend enough that you don't do this. there is absolutely no reason for it, you're only hurting yourself, it gives you nothing. if you do not try to engage and meet media on legitimate terms, then there is almost no reason for you to consume media

also caesar's death owns for "Lisa Lisa....your cigarette is backwards"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJ posted:

To be fair it's hard to feel anything because the opening spoiled it. The opening for Battle Tendency really did have the most obvious spoilers.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 24, 2019

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah Part 2 OP has pretty big clues as to what will happen. Part 3 on though they are way better about it with maybe one exception I can think of.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That doesn't excuse his rotten attitude

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I really like Part 4's openings, especially since I got that they kinda form their own narrative. I don't think they spoil much, and the clues are so symbolic, that if you don't know what will happen, they won't help you. I think they even add some things, like Koichi's stand, after you see them in the story. And of course the way Great Days changes at the end is just :discourse:

With Part 5 I have no idea what will happen. I feel like Fighting Gold visuals have that End of The World thing where things are pretty obvious, but might have second meaning (with End it was running out of time/DIO's stand). I'm guessing (putting my theory under spoiler) we might see bow and arrow again.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What would a Stand from supreme ironic detachment look like?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vookatos posted:

I really like Part 4's openings, especially since I got that they kinda form their own narrative. I don't think they spoil much, and the clues are so symbolic, that if you don't know what will happen, they won't help you. I think they even add some things, like Koichi's stand, after you see them in the story. And of course the way Great Days changes at the end is just :discourse:

With Part 5 I have no idea what will happen. I feel like Fighting Gold visuals have that End of The World thing where things are pretty obvious, but might have second meaning (with End it was running out of time/DIO's stand). I'm guessing (putting my theory under spoiler) we might see bow and arrow again.

Part 4 had that painfully generic anime OP for a while there and that puts it at the bottom of the Jojo Part OP power rankings.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nessus posted:

What would a Stand from supreme ironic detachment look like?

A computer where the only internet site you can enter is a forum.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gildiss posted:

Part 4 had that painfully generic anime OP for a while there and that puts it at the bottom of the Jojo Part OP power rankings.

Man that’s harsh. Even if you don’t like Chase (and you’re wrong if you don’t), Chase’s visuals are so on point that it pushes that OP to my top 3.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not a big fan of Chase but the end with Josuke reaching out towards Kira and he turns and it's Killer Queen's eye is just great

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJ posted:

Ironic detachment is super lame actually!
Be sincere and enjoy things sincerely!

The cool thing about JoJo is it is full of great, intentional jokes. So you don’t even need to watch it ironically to think it’s hilarious!

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Vookatos posted:

I would sincerely enjoy seeing more part 5 predictions based on the OP, because I love to see how well people can interpret foreshadowing, or how much non-existent foreshadowing they imagine / insert.