Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

James Woods posted:

When I was a kid I wanted to be Chuck Barris when I grew up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCnzRwHqs08

And not Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine?

We did a Gong Show skit for senior follies. I gonged an act that wasn't supposed to be because the audience demanded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
If you like Barris and haven't seen "The Kid Stays in the Picture", do. I had no idea...

EDIT: wrong dude, sorry....been a long time and I forgot.....but still really interesting. Movie about Barris is Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

wontondestruction has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Jan 24, 2019

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The General posted:

There is no such thing as too much KitH. :colbert:

The Daves I Know

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Alterian posted:

I blame my sense of humor on too much Kids in the Hall.

Every time I'm in a perfume/makeup store I pick up random bottles, pose with them and say: "Tonight... feel like a BITCH" and my friend facepalms and pretends she doesn't know me.

e: Yeah, she does that on the reg anyways. Why do you ask?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Every time I'm in a perfume/makeup store I pick up random bottles, pose with them and say: "Tonight... feel like a BITCH" and my friend facepalms and pretends she doesn't know me.

e: Yeah, she does that on the reg anyways. Why do you ask?

Why do you do it?

POWER

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

MrUnderbridge posted:

The variety show on prime time pretty much died out in the late 70's. Pretty sure Carol Burnett was the last one.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

(His didn't last more than a season, IIRC, in the early 2000s)

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The General posted:

There is no such thing as too much KitH. :colbert:

26 Helens agree with this post

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Please don't sully the wholesome Red Green show with such awful pictures

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Word. I need to look for Red Green on streaming or whatever.

Trastion posted:

Wonder Showzen. The best kids show ever.

Just the other day I was talking with my wife about how I can't wait until our kid is old enough to watch that show

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Just the other day I was talking with my wife about how I can't wait until our kid is old enough to watch that show

The red green show is free on YouTube. Every episode.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's also pretty dire. The Red Green car sketches are sometimes funny and usually at least amusingly-delivered, but the rest of the show... ehhhh.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leperflesh posted:

It's also pretty dire. The Red Green car sketches are sometimes funny and usually at least amusingly-delivered, but the rest of the show... ehhhh.

:mad:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

It's public television humor, it's never going to be funny but it might be interesting.

At least public TV has more of a sense of humor than public radio, which thinks it has one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

it's all on Youtube

Leperflesh posted:

It starts off kinda week but somewhere around episode 170, 180, it gets consistently good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's public television humor, it's never going to be funny but it might be interesting.

At least public TV has more of a sense of humor than public radio, which thinks it has one.

Every now and then I catch a bit of Says You! on NPR. I genuinely can't communicate how unfunny it is. It's like the opposite of humor. It's been running for years, people have been writing and listening to Says You! for years, and that is almost unnerving. If you were on a road trip and you stopped in a small town diner and Says You! was on the radio, and everyone in the diner was laughing and genuinely enjoying it, you would get the gently caress out of there as fast as possible because if you stayed there overnight those people would eat you or lay eggs in you or something.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

Every now and then I catch a bit of Says You! on NPR. I genuinely can't communicate how unfunny it is. It's like the opposite of humor. It's been running for years, people have been writing and listening to Says You! for years, and that is almost unnerving. If you were on a road trip and you stopped in a small town diner and Says You! was on the radio, and everyone in the diner was laughing and genuinely enjoying it, you would get the gently caress out of there as fast as possible because if you stayed there overnight those people would eat you or lay eggs in you or something.

Ya I know a guy from Wisconsin that likes it. It appeals to morbidly boring people.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aside from the occasional "heh" at a song on Dr Demento, American radio in total probably hasn't had anything resembling humor since the invention of television.

Brute Hole Force has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Jan 24, 2019

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Firesign Theater owns :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I2PjLna4C0

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Gettin' a tiny tinge of anger at people talking poo poo about Red Green! Back before I had cable I used to get genuinely excited for that show.

...There really was nothing else to do around here.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Peter Sagel is funny and that's my opinion!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I like says you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BallerBallerDillz posted:

I like says you.

Do you really? Or when it comes on do you just get lulled into a kind of fugue state and have no memory of what happens until the show ends and you come to with your hands soaked in blood to the elbow and an inexplicable feeling of deep contentment that last until the next week's episode of Says You?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/NaturelsWeird/status/1087688579562782720

My man looks like he just sat down to a meal of crusty bread, blackberry scones with fresh cream, nutty cheese, shrimp and hotroot stew, oatcakes with honey, beetroot pie, and a foaming tankard of ale and a flagon of dandelion cordial
the gently caress is this scrub forgetting the Deeper 'n Ever Turnip 'n Tater 'n Beetroot Pie

HBomb
Sep 26, 2004

All aboard.

Tony Snark posted:

Aside from the occasional "heh" at a song on Dr Demento, American radio in total probably hasn't had anything resembling humor since the invention of television.

Phil Hendrie was funnier than most things in TV.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The funniest thing NPR did was reveal that A Prairie Home Companion's Garrison Keillor & The Takeaway host John Hockenberry had sexual harassment allegations against them.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Alterian posted:

I blame my sense of humor on too much Kids in the Hall.
Every time I leave a restroom and someone is outside of it, I can't help but say "It's all yours, Cap'n"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Android Apocalypse posted:

The funniest thing NPR did was reveal that A Prairie Home Companion's Garrison Keillor & The Takeaway host John Hockenberry had sexual harassment allegations against them.

This is unironically true, NPR has THE WORST type of liberal humor.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
My super conservative parents listened to APHC all the time when I was a kid. I think they even had some Tales from Lake Wobegon on, like, officially licensed cassettes. I haven’t given it enough thought to figure out whether or not that makes any kind of sense.

Tell you what, though, I really miss The Vinyl Cafe. If it turns out Stewart McLean was a bad dude, never ever tell me please.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

MizPiz posted:

This is unironically true, NPR has THE WORST type of liberal humor.

Here in Canada we have to put up with putrid humour like 'the Debators' on our public radio, and 'Air Farce' on our TV (which someone vouched for earlier in this thread and I _dare_ them to post a sketch from that show in this thread). The CBC thinks something is funny if the person saying it uses a 'funny' voice or face.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

the gently caress is this scrub forgetting the Deeper 'n Ever Turnip 'n Tater 'n Beetroot Pie

I am always down for a Redwall joke but I gotta wonder who the hell brought that back into conversation.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I grew up listening to APHC and when I was little I didn't really have the attention span to actually pay attention to it so I mostly reacted to the voice and I was always so confused by why my parents insisted on listening to this extremely sad person ramble for an hour or so.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Pustulio posted:

I grew up listening to APHC and when I was little I didn't really have the attention span to actually pay attention to it so I mostly reacted to the voice and I was always so confused by why my parents insisted on listening to this extremely sad person ramble for an hour or so.

Google tells me that's the Appaloosa Horse Club.

Your post still makes sense

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I always figured the "humor" parts of Prairie Home Companion were to give the musicians time to tune their instruments.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

For some weird dumb reason, an independent station in NEOhio aired Royal Canadian Air Farce; I saw a sketch bagging on Leonard Cohen that made me laugh, but then the rest was so, so very grim. In retrospect, the Leonard Cohen sketch was also very very Not Good.

Another show nobody watched:

I liked it v:shobon:v

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I thought Air Farce was hilarious when I was like 12 or 13. It's absolutely loving dire though. I think This Hour has 22 minutes was actually sometimes funny when Mercer was on it.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Wait wait don't tell me and Ask me another are loving hilarious on NPR and anyone who doesn't agree is a garbage person.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Kharmakazy posted:

Wait wait don't tell me and Ask me another are loving hilarious on NPR and anyone who doesn't agree is a garbage person.

Car Talk too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kharmakazy posted:

I like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me but "loving hilarious" is a hell of an overstatement. "pleasantly amusing" is a better description, I think.