Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I fully expect some sort of stupid stunt to try and make up for Nancy bitchslapping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

I fully expect some sort of stupid stunt to try and make up for Nancy bitchslapping around. every single day of 2019 until 2020 laughs at 2019 for being too gentle and normal

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/newsroom/consumer-financial-protection-bureau-settles-broker-high-interest-credit-offers/

quote:

Washington, D.C. — The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Bureau) today announced a settlement with Mark Corbett, a broker of contracts offering high-interest credit to veterans.

As described in the consent order, the Bureau found that Corbett violated the Consumer Financial Protection Act of 2010 by misrepresenting to consumers that the contracts he facilitates are valid and enforceable when, in fact, the contracts are void because veterans’ pension payments are unassignable under federal law; misrepresenting to consumers that the offered product is a purchase of payments and not a high-interest credit offer; misrepresenting to consumers when they will receive their funds; and failing to disclose to consumers the applicable interest rate on the credit offer.

Under the terms of the consent order, Corbett is permanently banned from brokering, offering, or arranging agreements between veterans and third parties under which the veteran purports to sell a future right to an income stream from the veteran’s pension. Corbett must also pay a civil money penalty of $1.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Apparently he can't afford more than that dollar penalty

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Apparently he can't afford more than that dollar penalty

what like because nobody paid him?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Move out to the cornfields and tell me those people vote democrat.

I literally live in a district so red (it was a Democrat lock until the Third Way :thunk: ) that there are DSA members in the local chapter talking about how some local races had Democrats that were such absolute dogshit that it was actually better *on a policy level* to vote for the Republican candidate (again, in the local races), but, and here's the important bit:

ain't none of that matter at all in a Presidential election because it's a statewide FPTP and the entirety of southern IL has basically 1/5 the population of Cook County

So, again, gently caress any and all of these centrist candidates; they don't get my vote unless they earn it

Sorry y'all for the late reply but I've got to squeak this in between a placeholder probation and the actual probation I'm still waiting on

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 24, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I sort of wonder if Illinois would be better served if Chicago became its own city-state. Outstate parts of Illinois are rural as hell and have hugely different interests while Chicago wouldn't have to worry about fighting farm towns over actual good urban policy.

Also Chicago seems much more culturally relatable to Wisconsin and Michigan vs. cornland.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hell, anything south of I-64 should probably just be split between Missouri and Kentucky, because it's ridiculously separate from even central Illinois (which, for flat cornland, fancies itself "cultured").

I mean, we've got hills down here. Shawnee Nat'l Forest takes up the majority of our landmass, and the biggest "city" in southern IL has 44-some-odd thousand people in it.

Of course, 50 cents of every dollar spent in southern IL is outside money, so we'd wither on the vine without actual support (because we've been treated like an inland colony and had all our "wealth" and resources siphoned off to STL and Chicago).

I'm sure that rural NY feels the same way about NYC and I seem to remember rural CA feeling the same way about SF, LA, and SD.

Still, probably the weirdest thing I experienced living near Chicago was going to the MUSI and seeing the "coal mine" exhibit's elevator and realizing "oh, my great-grandad worked that mine before they closed it, shipped all the equipment north, and turned it into some city folk's entertainment"

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 24, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DoktorLoken posted:

I sort of wonder if Illinois would be better served if Chicago became its own city-state. Outstate parts of Illinois are rural as hell and have hugely different interests while Chicago wouldn't have to worry about fighting farm towns over actual good urban policy.

Also Chicago seems much more culturally relatable to Wisconsin and Michigan vs. cornland.

Can confirm people from dekalb sound like wisconsin

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Cattle mutilations are up.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I don't think AOC makes sense with her talk of billionaires being uneth--

https://www.wsj.com/articles/billionaire-ken-griffin-buys-americas-most-expensive-home-for-238-million-11548271301

quote:

Billionaire Ken Griffin Buys America’s Most Expensive Home for $238 Million

Billionaire Ken Griffin, who is becoming almost as known for his prodigious purchases as he is for his investment acumen, has closed on a New York penthouse for roughly $238 million. The deal sets a record for the highest-priced home ever sold in the U.S.

That is equivalent to almost 2000 years of leases on the 3br townhouse I had in college, or 2000 one year leases if you want to look at it like that.

Somethingsomething homeless veterans somethingseomething.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

colachute posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/billionaire-ken-griffin-buys-americas-most-expensive-home-for-238-million-11548271301

That is equivalent to almost 2000 years of leases on the 3br townhouse I had in college, or 2000 one year leases if you want to look at it like that.

It kills me how on the nose that Justin Timberlake movie was.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Venezuela: I Am America, (And So Can Coup)

Don't read that thread if you value your sanity.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's really late so I thought that Ken Griffey Jr. somehow became a billionaire

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

colachute posted:

With that much money he could have built a massive underground Fallout style vault stocked for 50 years worth of food, water, fuel, vehicles, guns, ammo, and supplies to survive the coming global warming apocalypse... and the dude buys a loving penthouse lmao what a stupid gently caress

Maybe I've been playing too much Fallout New Vegas and reading too much climate apocalypse poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Don't read that thread if you value your sanity.

Alternatively, only read Chuck Boone's posts. Dude does a great job of collecting news and summarizing the horror show that the county has become. There's also great posts from thread regulars who grew up in Venezuela, though only Blue Nation is still there. It's honestly not a bad thread, so much as one that's fine for long stretches of time in between getting blown up by news that attracts D&D or CSPAM posters who seem to think that opposing Maduro automatically means you support some form of US-backed regime change that will make things even worse you guys (though they never quite explain how).

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I dunno, I think after our track record in the last couple decades the burden of proof is really on anyone who is pro-regime change by America to explain why this time it'll be different.

Maduro and his people are corrupt and brutal assholes, but that doesn't mean sticking our dick into another hornet's nest is going to make it better.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Crakkerjakk posted:

I dunno, I think after our track record in the last couple decades the burden of proof is really on anyone who is pro-regime change by America to explain why this time it'll be different.

Maduro and his people are corrupt and brutal assholes, but that doesn't mean sticking our dick into another hornet's nest is going to make it better.

Nobody in the thread is actually pro-regime change :ssh:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only thing I can trust the American government/military to do is smash another countries conventional government/military into little bits in a conventional conflict. Any deviation from that very specific field and it's a crapshoot.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Vasudus posted:

The only thing I can trust the American government/military to do is smash another countries conventional government/military into little bits in a conventional conflict. Any deviation from that very specific field and it's a crapshoot.

bro we are gonna win afghanistan any day now

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
if afghanistan continues into ~june of 2020 then it's entirely possible that you'll have kids that were conceived on midtour OEF I being eligible to deploy to the very war that brought their birth

that's metal

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Chances are some of the people planting IEDs in Afghanistan never knew a world without American soldiers around.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vasudus posted:

Couldn't even do that in Vietnam!

Does it make a difference that nearly every Latin American country recognized Guaido as legitimate president? Can they pressure Venezuela's military to switch from Maduro?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Does it make a difference that nearly every Latin American country recognized Guaido as legitimate president? Can they pressure Venezuela's military to switch from Maduro?

Some articles are quoting anonymous American intelligence officers who have said the head of the military told Maduro to resign.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Jody's kid will be serving in Afghanistan soon and the cycle begins anew

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/ueunion/status/1088180786438832134?s=21

It’s about loving time

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Torrannor posted:

We... weren't trying to?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Queue every right-wing media outlet tripping over themselves to say "Who needs those bimbos of the sky anyways? We'll serve ourselves!"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/1088432465478369282

Eat the rich.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1088441318794317825?s=19

Beaten, but Wilbur Ross should be too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

jesus loving christ, just guillotine all these loving ghouls

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Crakkerjakk posted:

Maduro loving sucks but Guadio is just straight up loving worse. Imagine you take Bolsnaro's fascist bullshit and then add in a dash of racism and bunch of murder.

https://twitter.com/MikePrysner/status/1088172453233188864

Careful clicking the actual twitter thread because there's a dude being lit on fire in that timeline

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Swamp: Drained :chaostrump:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Bolow posted:

Maduro loving sucks but Guadio is just straight up loving worse. Imagine you take Bolsnaro's fascist bullshit and then add in a dash of racism and bunch of murder.

https://twitter.com/MikePrysner/status/1088172453233188864

Careful clicking the actual twitter thread because there's a dude being lit on fire in that timeline

I've been of the opinion for a while that the best thing the US can do in the vast majority of cases of dickheads loving up their own country and people is to provide humanitarian aid, accept refugees, and sanctions targeted only at the rulers at the top so they can't stash the gains from looting their country abroad.

That said, pretty sure Maduro & Co have also been murdering people. Near as I can tell this is just more flavors of "assholes abound."

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

I'm sure that rural NY feels the same way about NYC and I seem to remember rural CA feeling the same way about SF, LA, and SD.

The thing here though is that NY has several other decent sized metro areas like Buffalo, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. aside from NYC and is otherwise dotted with small cities that were business/manufacturing centers in their own right. That's how Michigan and WI are outside of their respective major metros, lots of 50-100k size old industrial cities interspaced with mostly agricultural land (but with hills).

When I go somewhere like rural Illinois or Iowa they feel desolate in comparison being mostly farm land with really tiny farm towns here and there, correct me if I'm wrong however.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

The thing here though is that NY has several other decent sized metro areas like Buffalo, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. aside from NYC and is otherwise dotted with small cities that were business/manufacturing centers in their own right. That's how Michigan and WI are outside of their respective major metros, lots of 50-100k size old industrial cities interspaced with mostly agricultural land (but with hills).

When I go somewhere like rural Illinois or Iowa they feel desolate in comparison being mostly farm land with really tiny farm towns here and there, correct me if I'm wrong however.

I wouldn't say that about WI, if you for example drive from Chicago to Minneapolis once you go past Madison or Milwaukee the largest town you go through is a small tourist trap.

Ohio is definitely what you say though, you're never too far from a moderately sized city.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

hobbesmaster posted:

I wouldn't say that about WI, if you for example drive from Chicago to Minneapolis once you go past Madison or Milwaukee the largest town you go through is a small tourist trap.

Ohio is definitely what you say though, you're never too far from a moderately sized city.

I thank you for not referring to St Paul in that way. :mad:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Crakkerjakk posted:

I've been of the opinion for a while that the best thing the US can do in the vast majority of cases of dickheads loving up their own country and people is to provide humanitarian aid, accept refugees, and sanctions targeted only at the rulers at the top so they can't stash the gains from looting their country abroad.

That said, pretty sure Maduro & Co have also been murdering people. Near as I can tell this is just more flavors of "assholes abound."

There's no good option, but the least poo poo one is probably not enabling some loving fascists so they can privatize the oil reserves after they seize power.

But poo poo this is basically us_latin_america_policy.txt. Gonna loving laugh real loving hard when the pissgolem stands down because daddy told him no though.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1088392989125341184

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

I thank you for not referring to St Paul in that way. :mad:

Refers exclusively to wisconsin and despite being from saint paul I often say Minneapolis because it takes people a while to register what I meant if I say saint paul or twin cities. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Can finish at least one of current wars before starting a new one?