Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hirayuki posted:

My related pet peeve (which can be extrapolated out to many similar situations) is people who don't have their poo poo together (tolls, passports, etc.) when they get to the booth. What were you doing in that long line before you reached that point, idiot?

This but the security screening point at airports. I'm taking my laptop out of my bag and emptying my pockets while I'm walking up to where the trays are, meanwhile people are getting there and then thinking "hang on how does this work". I fly a ton more than most so maybe I'm just impatient and they're really fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Memento posted:

This but the security screening point at airports. I'm taking my laptop out of my bag and emptying my pockets while I'm walking up to where the trays are, meanwhile people are getting there and then thinking "hang on how does this work". I fly a ton more than most so maybe I'm just impatient and they're really fine.
When our son was younger, we qualified for the "family and old people" lane. But all three of us had traveled enough that, like you, we had all our poo poo out and ready to go, only to stand behind, well, old people and families that couldn't tell their asses from their elbows. It would have been faster for us in the longer lane meant for the public at large.

Also, the TSA started telling people back in 2009 to put their shoes directly on the belt, and as far as I can tell, this is still the rule. Why the gently caress do people A. still put their shoes in a tray and B. put their shoes alone in a tray, taking up all kinds of drat room on the belt?

eta: For that matter, why do we still have to take our shoes off? Theater. :mad: I love when I get to travel somewhere where they let you keep your shoes on.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hirayuki posted:

Also, the TSA started telling people back in 2009 to put their shoes directly on the belt, and as far as I can tell, this is still the rule.
It is not. What o do with shoes and belts is a random crapshoot depending on which airport you’re at, in my experience.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It is not. What o do with shoes and belts is a random crapshoot depending on which airport you’re at, in my experience.
Well, according to the TSA site (motto: "Due to the Lapse in Federal Funding, This Website Will Not Be Actively Managed" :negative:), it's still the rule as recently as May 2018, and TSA agents who direct you to do otherwise are ill-informed. :colbert:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Hirayuki posted:

Well, according to the TSA site (motto: "Due to the Lapse in Federal Funding, This Website Will Not Be Actively Managed" :negative:), it's still the rule as recently as May 2018, and TSA agents who direct you to do otherwise are ill-informed. :colbert:

The last time I flew, on the way out I got a special sticker on my boarding pass that let me keep my shoes on. I felt like the king of the world. On the way back I had to take my shoes off and get scanned.
It was unclear why I got the special sticker. I was flying with my mom and they treated her like a suspected terrorist while I breezed through. She's 70 years old and walks with a cane. They ended up doing a hand pat down on her.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They give out TSA pre-check status to randoms in hopes of enticing you to sign up for the program.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I've flown around the world as an adult (except the US post-9/11) and never had to take my shoes off. But people are still loving slow to take out laptops or remove belts and loose coins from their person.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Really work? I now have to have 4 different passwords that I change every 60-90 days?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Really work? I now have to have 4 different passwords that I change every 60-90 days?

It's especially great when you have multiple sets that expire at different rates.
At my old job I think I had 3 different ones, 1 of them every 6 weeks and the other 2 every 8. Except you could sometimes go days without needing to log into the third one, meaning that they'd only ever be in sync if you'd been away for a while.

It only encourages people writing down passwords. And encourages people to use very simple passwords, usually the exact same one but just with various digits on.

Surely investing in a couple fingerprint scanners would pay for itself, compared to the hours of IT support you'll be running just to reset passwords + accounts.
Or just 2FA dongles that have to be turned in at the end of shifts, etc.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Putting words in italics to emphasize them is a big peeve of mine

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Would you prefer people bold it, or is any emphasis a peeve for you?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

CelticPredator posted:

I hand it to them.

I dunno man I thought we were told that you do not, under any circumstances, 'gotta hand it to em'

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Haifisch posted:

Would you prefer people bold it, or is any emphasis a peeve for you?

It's preferable to quotation marks which is the "most egregious" misuse of a grammatical symbol imho

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

It's preferable to quotation marks which is the "most egregious" misuse of a grammatical symbol imho

So, least egregious. Got it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's not a peeve at all, but I cannot take the word "egregious" seriously since having watched The League of Gentlemen.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Sometimes Queen Combat's avatar is out of sync and sometimes it is fine and I can't figure out why :mad:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

docbeard posted:

It's not a peeve at all, but I cannot take the word "egregious" seriously since having watched The League of Gentlemen.

Is this egregious enough for you?!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

aardwolf posted:

Sometimes Queen Combat's avatar is out of sync and sometimes it is fine and I can't figure out why :mad:

Loading order. If my post is down a page and the browser loads and renders them at different times because of scrolling, they'll be out of sync.

In sync: :justpost:
Out of sync: :jpmf:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

aardwolf posted:

I used my ad-blocker to hide the bottom half because the desync annoyed me.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I always thought it was a single image where the bottom half was supposed to be slightly out of sync.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Public or work toilets with dividers that don't go al the way down and up. I don't want to/can't poo poo if there's another man in the stall right next to me and I can see his foot and hear everything he does and the other way around.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shibawanko posted:

Public or work toilets with dividers that don't go al the way down and up. I don't want to/can't poo poo if there's another man in the stall right next to me and I can see his foot and hear everything he does and the other way around.

Agreed. Also people in this setup with 3 stalls and pick the center one. I mean, I guess it's a good strategy if you want to poop alone because when I see that situation I go back to my desk for a while (barring an actual emergency and not just wanting to waste some time). Also why do there have to be massive gaps between the door and the stall walls? Might as well just take the whole door off.

Is it just a "it makes cleaning easier" thing where they can just hose the whole room down at once? Why does basically all work bathroom i've had in germany have fully enclosed shitters or at least very extended stall walls where you would have to get down on the ground to see the other person's feet and we're still stuck with these things?

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Brawnfire posted:

Here's a peeve: how drat anxious trying to be creative makes me. Nobody gives a poo poo but me and I still can't just let go and write.

Change this to draw/paint and :same: :(:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Agreed. Also people in this setup with 3 stalls and pick the center one. I mean, I guess it's a good strategy if you want to poop alone because when I see that situation I go back to my desk for a while (barring an actual emergency and not just wanting to waste some time). Also why do there have to be massive gaps between the door and the stall walls? Might as well just take the whole door off.

Is it just a "it makes cleaning easier" thing where they can just hose the whole room down at once? Why does basically all work bathroom i've had in germany have fully enclosed shitters or at least very extended stall walls where you would have to get down on the ground to see the other person's feet and we're still stuck with these things?

The more precise metric system allows german engineers to construct floor-to-ceiling stall walls.

Also why do people feel it’s ok to grunt, sigh, whistle, etc in public shitters?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

yeah I eat rear end posted:

...Also why do there have to be massive gaps between the door and the stall walls? Might as well just take the whole door...

Taking the whole door off is a thing in some men's rooms around the US. Usually in sketchy bars or bowling alleys. If the management doesn't take the door off, someone will steal it anyway. I knew a guy that used to steal stall doors when he was in high school. He didn't even know why he did it. It's just kind of a thing.

We also have the piss troughs at sporting events. Those are super classy.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have the European style stall doors that are floor to ceiling. You do get used to the gaps though. Once you're used to it, you don't worry about it any more.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only place I've heard of no doors on stalls (or just no stalls at all) was from my dad's boot camp stories. I guess I just don't go to lovely enough bars/bowling alleys, and I'm glad.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

None of the schools I went to had stalls. Or soap, because it was "too messy". The only places I've seen with doors are shopping malls for whatever reason.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Prisons don’t have stall doors either if the 1989 Tom Selleck prison drama ”An Innocent Man” is true to life.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Prisons don’t even have stall walls in most cases, you just poo poo in a stainless sink/toilet combo a few feet from your cellie.

If you ever meet anyone who continuously flushes the toilet from the moment he settles on the shitter to a couple minutes after they’re done, there’s a good chance they’ve done time. It’s a courtesy to try to suck as much stench as possible down the pipe.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

America continues to sound like a third world country

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I most distinctly remember my elementary school restroom. No stalls at all, just 12 toilets in random locations in a giant, open room. There was a single sink in the hallway just outside of the restrooms that everyone had to queue up for, with no soap available. It was a weirdly elaborate thing that looked more like half of a water fountain than a sink, with foot operated controls to turn on the water.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My elementary school took handwashing very seriously. With soap. We also had stalls. Guess I’m bougie.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I most distinctly remember my elementary school restroom. No stalls at all, just 12 toilets in random locations in a giant, open room. There was a single sink in the hallway just outside of the restrooms that everyone had to queue up for, with no soap available. It was a weirdly elaborate thing that looked more like half of a water fountain than a sink, with foot operated controls to turn on the water.

What the gently caress

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It was one of these fuckers. What the gently caress is wrong with putting in a regular sink that would surely have cost less than 10% as much?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Gaming related peeve - I've been playing Muppet Monster Adventure and liking it a lot, but I've missed one single fragment of Evil Energy and I can't for the life of me figure out where the gently caress it is. I hate that.

Edit: It's in a really hard to reach secret. Just looked it up. That's loving mean. You don't hide basic collectibles like that in such difficult to find secrets, you leave that for Live caches. At the very least you put like 10 of them in the secret to make it obvious that the player is missing an area.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Jan 26, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m sounding increasingly québécois and I hate it. NO ONE should sound québécois.

That said, another peeve is anglo-canadians whining about french. Basically anywhere outside of the extreme sticks you go in francophone areas, you can happily get by with english. Whereas in anglo areas, lol if you barge into a random shop and start talking french to the clerk.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Peeve: The concept of winter.

Snow sucks. Ice sucks. Slush sucks. Cold sucks. The wind somehow seems to blow from every direction at once whenever you're trying to clear snow off something. Later this week we're going to have a day where goddamn high temp is -14F.

If I didn't have to go outside for work and food, I'd probably just hibernate for three months and avoid all that bullshit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

In Airbnb's or cheap hotels, when the shower is surrounded by mirrors for some reason. Who the hell wants to be confronted by their own naked rear end at 6 in the morning? Why would you put mirrors around your shower? The last airbnb I stayed in was like that and also committed the other big shower sin: being unable to mount the showerhead so you have to hold it in your hand the whole time. gently caress people with lovely showers.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So where does the shower head go when not in use? Just dangling by its hose from the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

So where does the shower head go when not in use? Just dangling by its hose from the wall?

On top of the faucet in a shower bath combo, or in the case of the airbnb I was in, sitting on a bar-shaped faucet mounted on the wall