Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Using dolphins to find naval mines and subs was mildly effective.

According to Popular Science, the Soviets tried giving dolphins guns and knives, as well as bombs for kamikazi attacks. Iran and the Ukraine now have descendants of this program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was such a dumb idea and the guy who came up with it was insane, but imagine if it worked? If they actually managed to get dolphins to talk? I don't particularly know what they'd do with that, but it'd sure be something.

Of course, it ended up with dolphins tripping on acid committing suicide and a weird story about handjobs. Not a fruitful study. Better than the experiments in resisting being tortured into false confessions that somehow circled around into some scumbuckets introducing "enhanced interrogation" to America's list of sins.

Don't forget the experiments on torture practiced on college volunteets, including an extremely young Ted Kaczynski.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Polyakov posted:

Its true that we can take a very cynical view of US motives in view of the long and sorry history that people saying that have created, indeed partly in Vietnam, that but i think that the US in 1950 really did believe in that ideal and thought they could bring it about eventually, ...

Thanks! Food for thought.
One thing regarding the above quoted, I think it's worth bearing in mind that there were probably people in the US apparatus who genuinely held beliefs as outlined in your post but there were likely also those who, as you mentioned, acted cynically and selfishly. Perhaps I have a tendency to look more for the latter.
I suppose this is why the Burns quote about decent men rubbed me up the wrong way enough to ask about it.
So a question about the methodology of history (the word is on the tip of my tongue), surely it is preferable, even in a pop history context, not to present a state with such diffuse power networks as the USA as having a unitary belief structure?

Regarding the change in US interventions after WWII, perhaps it has something to do with the idea it was a just war, that America really saved the world from a great evil, although I am unsure when this idea was popularized.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tunicate posted:

Using dolphins to find naval mines and subs was mildly effective.

According to Popular Science, the Soviets tried giving dolphins guns and knives, as well as bombs for kamikazi attacks. Iran and the Ukraine now have descendants of this program

I read a year or two back the Dutch were using eagles or hawks to protect military airbases from drones.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Don Gato posted:

That man is on enough cocaine to make a whale see Jesus.

How is he still alive at this point?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

HEY GUNS posted:

This had already turned into a big issue in the Powder Barrel Mutiny

one gets the impression that the Swedish army had overextended itself quite a bit, and nobody knew what they were doing in Germany any more

Yeah, after Gustavus Adoplhus died the whole thing seems to have fragmented into several different generals using the war as an excuse to stuff their pockets (as opposed to a single king stuffing his pockets) with whatever valuables they could find. "King dead, so what", seems to have been the name of the game from Luetzen onwards, but the managed to keep going for years, until finally a peace was made. In Ofredsår/Suuren Sodan Vuodet Englund describes the aftermath as a confused process, where Swedish officials go around northern HRE to try and get the various states and places to pay the sums agreed in the peace accords, so that the mercenaries can be mustered out. It was a "Sweet, we got new territories! Now we have to get our own soldiers go away so that we can make something out of the situation." It did succeed, eventually, but is was not the most elegant process.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SeanBeansShako posted:

insane, fucks whales, consumes a middling nation's GDP worth of research chemicals every quarter, always on the verge of dying or being killed but repeatedly baffling Christendom by continuing to live

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

he discovered the philosopher's stone, then snorted it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I don’t think sharks have, like, necks? Maybe they could plane-up like a submarine?

:shrug:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tunicate posted:

the Soviets tried giving dolphins guns and knives, as well as bombs for kamikazi attacks. Iran and the Ukraine now have descendants of this program

Correction, Ukraine's dolphin facility was in the Crimea, and the mammals are now POW's.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

So a question about the methodology of history (the word is on the tip of my tongue),

Historiography?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schadenboner posted:

Maybe they could plane-up like a submarine?

i think they do because this species eats polar bears, horse, and moose

among other things

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HEY GUNS posted:

among other things

And commutes through the Kattegat!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

HEY GUNS posted:

mad, MAD about jesuits online

whereas neither jfk nor lbj really felt attacked from the left, it was their right flank they kept angsting about

While this is true for most of lbj’s presidency it’s not because of pressure from the right that he didn’t run again. And ultimately pressure from the center did jfk in.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pontius Pilate posted:

And ultimately pressure from the center did jfk in.

See this is surprising because at the end he went back, and to the left?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 24, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pontius Pilate posted:

While this is true for most of lbj’s presidency it’s not because of pressure from the right that he didn’t run again.
you're right, by then the war had become unsupportable

quote:

And ultimately pressure from the center did jfk in.
:)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
oof.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Nenonen posted:

Correction, Ukraine's dolphin facility was in the Crimea, and the mammals are now POW's.

Correction, theyre dead. Russian navy stopped/was unable to feed them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was such a dumb idea and the guy who came up with it was insane, but imagine if it worked? If they actually managed to get dolphins to talk? I don't particularly know what they'd do with that, but it'd sure be something.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

I need to watch that movie, because I want to know how you unwittingly train a dolphin to be a presidential assassin.

"I don't know what happened. I was taking Bubbles through his usual hoop jumping drills, and next thing I knew, he was up in that tower, and he had the sniper rifle, and it was just terrible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

A brilliant and driven scientist, Jake Terrell, and his young and beautiful wife, Maggie, train dolphins to communicate with humans. This is done by teaching the dolphins to speak English in dolphin-like voices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Dolphin

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

among other things

What, if a carcass drifts down to the black depths where they live?

I might be confusing my sharks, but the Greenland shark (AKA piss shark) is a oceanic bottomfeeder with a hella slow metabolism

e: citation: River Monsters with Jeremy Wade

e2: That Inuit man has some PANTS

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 24, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Not going to lie, I'd watch a shark vs. moose fight.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

I mean, there's the "hot dog down a hallway" joke/insult, but :drat: . On the other hand, dude's living his whalefucking dream while on the lam as a murder suspect, gotta respect that.

many people in the last few pages but I can't be arsed to find them and pull quotes posted:

CIA/America world policeman stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPIezg-YyxI

"Now I'll train an army for my kids to fight one day, we'll teach 'em all our secrets and then we'll walk away."

Amusingly, most of the posts on songmeanings.com say it's a good Iraq war protest song. Uh, we kinda curbstomped Iraq the first time around, it's pretty obvious DKM are talking about Afghanistan, innit? What with the training/supplying our current enemies against the Soviets in the '80s, and those Stingers we gave them shooting down our helicopters, and all?

Doubly amusing: At least for me, Googling the song title, the first result is songmeanings.com, the rest of the links on the first page are various actual CIA recruiting pages.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Chillbro Baggins posted:

"Now I'll train an army for my kids to fight one day, we'll teach 'em all our secrets and then we'll walk away."

Amusingly, most of the posts on songmeanings.com say it's a good Iraq war protest song. Uh, we kinda curbstomped Iraq the first time around, it's pretty obvious DKM are talking about Afghanistan, innit? What with the training/supplying our current enemies against the Soviets in the '80s, and those Stingers we gave them shooting down our helicopters, and all?

Doubly amusing: At least for me, Googling the song title, the first result is songmeanings.com, the rest of the links on the first page are various actual CIA recruiting pages.

Most of the guys the US focused on training and equipping to fight the Soviets in Afghanistan ended up part of the Northern Alliance which fought the Taliban and now are kind of allies to the US and the Afghan regime. The Taliban themselves are a whole other deal and arose in the mid-90s after the Soviets withdrew, in particular drawing their numbers from Pashtun kids who had grown up in refugee camps in Pakistan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah but pakistan and saudi arabia are both major us client states so it's still shooting ourselves in the foot just on a longer timescale.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

Based on the latest details of his private life, you've got to assume he's like half hepatitis a virus by weight at this point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mr Enderby posted:

Based on the latest details of his private life, you've got to assume he's like half hepatitis a virus by weight at this point.

His genitals should be classified as a form of chemical warfare then.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Valtonen posted:

Correction, theyre dead. Russian navy stopped/was unable to feed them.

Yeah this is much more realistic.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah but pakistan and saudi arabia are both major us client states so it's still shooting ourselves in the foot just on a longer timescale.

Sure I'll give you that in a kind of way, but also note that in no way were Saudi Arabia and Pakistan just carrying out US policy in Afghanistan. They very much had their own agendas, which happened to overlap with the general US goal of getting people to fight the Soviets during the 80s, but those two, especially Pakistan were not beholden to American demands as regards what hey did in Afghanistan, in fact they had a great deal of leverage over them because Pakistan was the only country willing to openly support the Mujahideen. Also a crucial fact remains that after the Soviets left, the Americans kind of just lost all interest in what happened in Afghanistan.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think you will find that Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are sovereign states with their own policies and interests and agency and they may take more or less notice of what the US wants depending on how it aligns with what they want and what the alternative offers are.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I think you will find that Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are sovereign states with their own policies and interests and agency and they may take more or less notice of what the US wants depending on how it aligns with what they want and what the alternative offers are.

Yeah but they use our money and military equipment to do that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah but they use our money and military equipment to do that.

Saudi Arabia did not use US money to fund the Mujahideen. Their whole deal was they would effectively match anything the Americans put forward, as far as dollars go. Much of that went towards buying arms from Egypt and Israel, then channeling them into the hands of the Mujahideen through Pakistan who acted as the open supporter of the rebels. Stinger missiles came later.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Randarkman posted:

Sure I'll give you that in a kind of way, but also note that in no way were Saudi Arabia and Pakistan just carrying out US policy in Afghanistan. They very much had their own agendas, which happened to overlap with the general US goal of getting people to fight the Soviets during the 80s, but those two, especially Pakistan were not beholden to American demands as regards what hey did in Afghanistan, in fact they had a great deal of leverage over them because Pakistan was the only country willing to openly support the Mujahideen. Also a crucial fact remains that after the Soviets left, the Americans kind of just lost all interest in what happened in Afghanistan.

Ghost Wars by Steve Coll is a great book on the subject. Basically, the US were doing pretty much all of their business in Afghanistan through the Pakistani secret service, which had their own agenda and weren't too fond of US oversight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the "stereotypical cultural name as a metonym for an enemy force/country" an Anglophone thing or do other languages do that? I mean like Fritz/Jerry for the Germans in the WWs, Ivan for the Soviets, Charlie for the VC (I know it's from Victor Charlie, but same kind of deal), Johnny Reb for the CSA, Tommy for the Brits, etc. I don't mean the racist way people use it, like calling anyone who looks Hispanic like "Pedro" but specifically in this context. If so, what did other languages call the US? I don't even know what our WWII nickname was. Also when did that start? Did we have Wallachian soldiers saying "Uh oh here comes Mehmet" in the 15th century?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hitler to Goering, 1944, with Guderian and Jodl witnessing: "Goering! Your Luftwaffe isn't worth a drat! It doesn't deserve to be an independent branch of service anymore! And that's your fault! You're lazy!"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

If so, what did other languages call the US? I don't even know what our WWII nickname was.

Germans called US GIs "Amis" or "Gangsters."

Yes, really.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

zoux posted:

Is the "stereotypical cultural name as a metonym for an enemy force/country" an Anglophone thing or do other languages do that? I mean like Fritz/Jerry for the Germans in the WWs, Ivan for the Soviets, Charlie for the VC (I know it's from Victor Charlie, but same kind of deal), Johnny Reb for the CSA, Tommy for the Brits, etc. I don't mean the racist way people use it, like calling anyone who looks Hispanic like "Pedro" but specifically in this context. If so, what did other languages call the US? I don't even know what our WWII nickname was. Also when did that start? Did we have Wallachian soldiers saying "Uh oh here comes Mehmet" in the 15th century?

'Les rosbifs'

Nicknames are literally as old as language

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

Germans called US GIs "Amis" or "Gangsters."

Yes, really.

Cool.

Alchenar posted:

'Les rosbifs'

Lol that's great, what war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

zoux posted:

Lol that's great, what war
Dates back to the 1770s at least, so probably started with the Seven Years War.