Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

CYBEReris posted:

It's uh, right in the name - Venezuelans whose descendants were brought there as slaves from Africa, primarily by white settlers.

I have not once in my life heard the term Afrovenezuelan being used to refer to absolutely anyone, not once in my entire time in Venezuela. You’re applying American race relations to Venezuela, that’s not how it works there. Almost every Venezuelan is a mutt, a mestizo, we don’t know our genetic make up and most of us don’t care. We just call people after where they’re from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Regardless of their stated views, they are glad to avail themselves of support from one of the chief sources of maldevelopment and political chaos in Latin America. Why should the US be trusted this time?

The US shouldn't be trusted, it should be ignored in this case. Their support or lack of support is not relevant to deciding whether Guaido is in the right to do what he did.

This whole "well, if Trump approves, it must be bad" is paranoid tankie thinking. Trump may be a giant idiot, but his position is presently irrelevant to the situation.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

fnox posted:

I have not once in my life heard the term Afrovenezuelan being used to refer to absolutely anyone, not once in my entire time in Venezuela. You’re applying American race relations to Venezuela, that’s not how it works there. Almost every Venezuelan is a mutt, a mestizo, we don’t know our genetic make up and most of us don’t care. We just call people after where they’re from.

Nah bro everywhere is America. Didn’t you get the memo?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RottenK posted:

oh course he's an awful leader

and the west should still stay the gently caress away because western intervention always makes things worse, and the same goes for russia and china and any other bogeyman you want to accuse the left of supporting, they will do just as much damage

how many more iraqs and libyas do you need before you finally understand that imperialism destroys everything it touches no matter who does it and with what excuse

Serious question: why are you claiming Venezuela isn't the west?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

fnox posted:

Russia is about to snag 50% of PDVSAs US subsidiary

fnox, I trust you. However, do you have a link on this, and do you know if it's passed CFIUS (the us govt committee responsible for approving foreign takeovers or controlling stakes in US companies) review?

I have parents who are skeptical CFIUS would let it pass.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Regardless of their stated views, they are glad to avail themselves of support from one of the chief sources of maldevelopment and political chaos in Latin America. Why should the US be trusted this time?

I wrote an extended post about the chain of events that led Guaido to assume the presidency yesterday, I'd rather not copy-paste it, so please take a look at it. The short version of things is, the Maduro government used every dirty trick at their disposal to block any chance of a peaceful transition towards democracy. They blocked a presidential recall referendum, outlawed the democratically elected national assembly, banned opposition parties from running in elections, arguably stole at least two of those, brutally repressed dissenters, etc.

What the Venezuelan opposition is doing is playing the only hand at their disposal, to try and force the military into publicly disavowing Maduro. International pressure is critical at this juncture because, without it, there's nothing forcing Maduro and the military from feeling the heat. It's not a matter of trusting the US, it's a matter of taking a look at what's going on in the country and realizing that sadly, without the US throwing its weight around, there's not a whole lot of chance this particular dictator is going to step down.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

fnox posted:

So you're saying that Venezuela is a race-blind society?

e: Not at all saying that it's appropriate to apply an American race relations lens to Venezuela. Just surprisng to see that claim applied to _anywhere._

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 24, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Not exactly where I expected to see "I don't see race" to pop up, but here we are tyool 2019

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Insanite posted:

Of course it isn’t. We just have a markedly different composition and don’t address it with the same language

e: like you did read the post right?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Also, for the whole “Guaido isn’t an American puppet” crowd, it’s pretty weird that he spent his time right after deciding he was president telling foreign holders of Venezuelan debt he was gonna get them paid: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-22/venezuela-s-guaido-says-opposition-seeks-financing-debt-relief

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Furia posted:

Oh, is that why I got called a plantation owner because I had the audacity of suggesting poor people should have access to food and medicine, and should be able to have a dignified life? My apologies it turns out that the people most affected were arguing in the worst faith all along

Like yeah military intervention is bad. Pretending this is a goddamn coup is loving bad too

yeah, some posters are really assholes.

Personaly I dont think is a coup, I dont think the CIA is behind it, but I do think the only way this is going forward is by becoming a coup of sorts (a coup on the coup?) with external help. And that will probably end badly

fnox posted:

Well, frankly this exact same words are often used to deny racism exists in Brazil and we are a pretty racist country

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 24, 2019

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Insanite posted:

e: Not at all saying that it's appropriate to apply an American race relations lens to Venezuela. Just surprisng to see that claim applied to _anywhere._

He's saying that the term "afro-Venezuelan" is made up. It's kind of striking looking at the Wikipedia entries for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Venezuelan
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrovenezolano

Given that the English article is like a PhD thesis worth of work, and the Spanish article is a tiny blurb saying "somewhere around 0.7 to 3% of Venezuelans may fall into this category, dunno, it's from like 1520 or something," I'd guess the truth is much closer to Fnox's personal interpretation than some random American's who's never been to Venezuela and only knows about it from a handful of articles on Jacobin every year.

I'm sure there's racism, but the thing is that so many American leftwing reporters try to make the protests be about racism, when it is entirely irrelevant to the current situation in the country. I'm too lazy to look up any articles now but I've seen them linked a few times where there's some photo of a black-looking person protesting with PSUV colors in front of white-looking people protesting in favor of the opposition, and then the reporter fabricates some story about protests=racism.

elgatofilo
Sep 17, 2007

For the modern, sophisticated cat.

Insanite posted:

I understand people with a tiny bit of knowledge of the highland countries of Latin America (e.g. Mexico, Colombia) barging in and shouting about colorism. However, this is just an extension of "everywhere south of the border is Mexico." Venezuela is a Caribbean country with a markedly Caribbean ethnic composition.
Maduro is a visiby tri-racial person.
Guaido is visibly tri-racial.
Pretty much everyone involved in politics is visibly tri-racial.

This isn't a Mexican soap opera with blonde, white aristocrats oppressing there largely native/afro servants. Venezuela simply took a different turn in history, colorism does manifest itself as it does everywhere in the world, but it is simply not an important force in politics.
I've recommended this book in the thread before but if you're more interested in Caribbean race relations I recommend social researcher Eduardo Bonilla-Silva's "Racism Without Racists," which goes over the aspects of colorism and how it manifests differently in the different Latin American cultures.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Frankly the fact that there's a lot of detail in the English article that discusses the stigma surrounding being of African descent in Venezuela that the Spanish article skips over makes me skeptical of the latter, not the former.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

fnox posted:

It is true though that most venezuelan identify as "moreno":

http://www.ine.gob.ve/documentos/Demografia/CensodePoblacionyVivienda/pdf/nacional.pdf

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 24, 2019

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

uninterrupted posted:

Also, for the whole “Guaido isn’t an American puppet” crowd, it’s pretty weird that he spent his time right after deciding he was president telling foreign holders of Venezuelan debt he was gonna get them paid: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-22/venezuela-s-guaido-says-opposition-seeks-financing-debt-relief

No, it's not weird. Reason: Venezuela is going to need a fuckload of credit from the international markets to fund reconstruction and getting the country fed. Even in the most ideal plausible situation, not all foreign aid is going to be grants or commodities.

Does Venezuela have a shitton of odious debt, yes. But that's less important right now than getting what few assets Venezuela has left to a state where they're available to help the country. So you say nice things now, reassure nervous people. Later, when things are less insane, you can go "hey, some of this debt is bullshit".

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

PT6A posted:

The US shouldn't be trusted, it should be ignored in this case. Their support or lack of support is not relevant to deciding whether Guaido is in the right to do what he did.

This whole "well, if Trump approves, it must be bad" is paranoid tankie thinking. Trump may be a giant idiot, but his position is presently irrelevant to the situation.

Labradoodle posted:

I wrote an extended post about the chain of events that led Guaido to assume the presidency yesterday, I'd rather not copy-paste it, so please take a look at it. The short version of things is, the Maduro government used every dirty trick at their disposal to block any chance of a peaceful transition towards democracy. They blocked a presidential recall referendum, outlawed the democratically elected national assembly, banned opposition parties from running in elections, arguably stole at least two of those, brutally repressed dissenters, etc.

What the Venezuelan opposition is doing is playing the only hand at their disposal, to try and force the military into publicly disavowing Maduro. International pressure is critical at this juncture because, without it, there's nothing forcing Maduro and the military from feeling the heat. It's not a matter of trusting the US, it's a matter of taking a look at what's going on in the country and realizing that sadly, without the US throwing its weight around, there's not a whole lot of chance this particular dictator is going to step down.

Simply asserting that the US is somehow irrelevant to the situation or will take no action to manipulate the political situation to its own ends is unpersuasive. We're approaching 2 decades of agitation against the PSUV from the US media, in the attempted 2002 coup, and from official government sources. The US treating post-Chavez Venezuela as an enemy is not particular to Trump. The opposition is tacitly trusting the US by accepting its support, despite its very real historical track record of destruction throughout the continent, often achieved with precisely what the opposition and the US are calling for -- a military coup.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Furia posted:

Of course it isn’t. We just have a markedly different composition and don’t address it with the same language

e: like you did read the post right?

That was more a response to this:
"Almost every Venezuelan is a mutt, a mestizo, we don’t know our genetic make up and most of us don’t care. "

Thanks for the condescension, though. Did you read the post?

elgatofilo posted:

I understand people with a tiny bit of knowledge of the highland countries of Latin America (e.g. Mexico, Colombia) barging in and shouting about colorism. However, this is just an extension of "everywhere south of the border is Mexico." Venezuela is a Caribbean country with a markedly Caribbean ethnic composition.
Maduro is a visiby tri-racial person.
Guaido is visibly tri-racial.
Pretty much everyone involved in politics is visibly tri-racial.

This isn't a Mexican soap opera with blonde, white aristocrats oppressing there largely native/afro servants. Venezuela simply took a different turn in history, colorism does manifest itself as it does everywhere in the world, but it is simply not an important force in politics.
I've recommended this book in the thread before but if you're more interested in Caribbean race relations I recommend social researcher Eduardo Bonilla-Silva's "Racism Without Racists," which goes over the aspects of colorism and how it manifests differently in the different Latin American cultures.

This is a helpful response, as I'm interested in the specific claim that's floating around left Twitter that coup support kinda-sorta breaks down along racial lines. Thanks!

Insanite fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 24, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Spacewolf posted:

No, it's not weird. Reason: Venezuela is going to need a fuckload of credit from the international markets to fund reconstruction and getting the country fed. Even in the most ideal plausible situation, not all foreign aid is going to be grants or commodities.

Does Venezuela have a shitton of odious debt, yes. But that's less important right now than getting what few assets Venezuela has left to a state where they're available to help the country. So you say nice things now, reassure nervous people. Later, when things are less insane, you can go "hey, some of this debt is bullshit".

Going by history, that is going to result in the EU blockading Venezuela to force debt repayments while the US sits on its hands and shrugs. I'm not making a real argument here, just darkly funny that Venezuela's been there before, over a hundred years ago.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 24, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Simply asserting that the US is somehow irrelevant to the situation or will take no action to manipulate the political situation to its own ends is unpersuasive.
I refuse to believe my opinion doesn't matter! Don't you know how American I am?!

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The protests that erupted earlier this week started in poor areas of Caracas that have always been chavista strongholds. Catia, La Vega, 23 de enero. There were street battles all night in Petare, the biggest barrio in Caracas and one of the biggest in Latin America.

People are protesting because they don't have food, medicine or access to basic services like healthcare or electeicity. These issues affect the poor most of all. The regime has also brutally victimized the most marginalized through "security operations" like the OLP, which have left hundreds of people dead in extrajudicial killings in barrios all across the country.

It is not true that only middle class white people are protesting against Maduro. It wasn't true in 2014 or in 2017 when this lie last game up and it's even less true today.

Boots Riley linking to the state owned propaganda channel isn't helpful.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Spacewolf posted:

Can't they recoup the billions of offshore dollars they have before taking on more credit?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I refuse to believe my opinion doesn't matter! Don't you know how American I am?!

It's absurdly racist, delusional, and jingoistic to act like the US did nothing wrong in Latin America and there is no reason to believe they will in the future, actually, but nice try.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Riley's claims don't really past my smell test (neither does "literally no one cares about race or class ever," FWIW), but I figured I'd find some informed responses here about it. Twitter's really dumb.

If the racial lines thing is a recurring political cudgel, that's also interesting.

There are a lot of resources in the OP (which is great!), but there's a ton to read and I'm just trying to get a little up to speed before my country engages in military action in Venezuela, I guess.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 24, 2019

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Spacewolf posted:

Yeah, exactly: he’s telling his bosses in the global financial market that if his illegal coup succeeds he’ll wring the country dry to get them paid at the expense of the starving Venezuelans he claims to help. We’re saying the same thing.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Simply asserting that the US is somehow irrelevant to the situation or will take no action to manipulate the political situation to its own ends is unpersuasive. We're approaching 2 decades of agitation against the PSUV from the US media, in the attempted 2002 coup, and from official government sources. The US treating post-Chavez Venezuela as an enemy is not particular to Trump. The opposition is tacitly trusting the US by accepting its support, despite its very real historical track record of destruction throughout the continent, often doing precisely what the opposition and the US are calling for -- a military coup.

For argument's sake, what do you think the opposition should have done? Guaido needs international support if he wants to force Maduro to abandon power. If he goes and says "Hey guys, thanks for expressing your support, but we'd rather you stayed out of this" it wouldn't accomplish anything except shooting himself on the foot.

I don't disagree with the assertion the US doesn't have Venezuela's best interests at heart. Best-case scenario, they're looking to score some easy points by knocking down a dictator in their backyard and counteract Russian and Chinese influence in South America. However, Venezuela's reached a point where there's absolutely no way forward without outside pressure. The government has shown time and time again they will not cede power democratically and the military will stay in line as long as they get their piece of the pie.

It's nice to imagine a situation in which Venezuela could take care of this issue by themselves, without any foreign pressure, but that's not going to happen.

uninterrupted posted:

Yeah, exactly: he’s telling his bosses in the global financial market that if his illegal coup succeeds he’ll wring the country dry to get them paid at the expense of the starving Venezuelans he claims to help. We’re saying the same thing.

Two things:

1. The Venezuelan constitution expressly says the leader of the National Assembly can become interim president in some specific circumstances, arguably including this one.
2. The Venezuelan government was already famous for prioritizing debt repayments over letting their citizens starve and just started to default on them a short while ago once they literally had almost no money left.

I'm just doing my part to help out. If you're going to keep commenting about Venezuela, small facts such as these will help you not come off as completely ignorant.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 24, 2019

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

“We need relief from the debt that Maduro got us into to finance his loving beef eating holidays”

Christ what puppets we have been. What buffoons, what idiots

Look up “Hunger Bonds GS” and see what loving happens

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Insanite posted:

I want to believe that Boots Riley is correct, as Sorry to Bother You is a great movie, but this is propaganda, right?

Boots Riley is not any more informed than any random poster in this thread.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

qkkl posted:

Would Venezuelans agree to a deal where the US gets all their oil in exchange for guaranteeing plenty of food, water, medical supplies, and housing are provided for all Venezuelans?

the good ol' Iraq Special
(spoiler warning neither of those two things ends up happening)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bathtub Cheese posted:

It's absurdly racist, delusional, and jingoistic to act like the US did nothing wrong in Latin America and there is no reason to believe they will in the future, actually, but nice try.
Anyone who refuses to debate me about Trump in whatever space I decide to Kramer into is obviously racist.

Why are there so many racists in this McDonald's PlayPlace?? Why will no one in the ball pit denounce Trump?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Boots Riley is not any more informed than any random poster in this thread.

I'm sure of that, but random posters in this thread don't have 100k+ Twitter followers to signal boost their views.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

qkkl posted:

Would Venezuelans agree to a deal where the US gets all their oil in exchange for guaranteeing plenty of food, water, medical supplies, and housing are provided for all Venezuelans?

I mean, it'd be amazing if the US is able to provide something it can't or wont provide to its own citizens.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Insanite posted:

I've never heard anyone that isn't an expat from a modern day African country describe themselves as afro-Venezuelan, obviously we're not race blind, and there are racist people in the country, but you'll be kind of hard pressed to find actual white supremacists or people who are actually descendants only from former slaves. I've heard traditions being described as descending from slaves, such as a good half of the gaita zuliana percussion, or Barlovento drums, but not people, it's a strange distinction to make. Conversely, the term euro-Venezuelan is also unheard of, you'll readily see people call others by where they're from or where their family is from since Venezuela experienced quite a lot of immigration in the first half of the 20th century, but we never had Jim Crow laws or an American South that would make our situation comparable.

First time I've heard of that organization. Oh wait, wasn't this around the time that Chavez added a race question to the national census for the first time? Yeah you posted the results, turns out barely anyone actually considers themselves African over like, just gocho, maracucho, oriental, llanero, caraqueño and the like.

fnox fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 24, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They used to not have Indian/Native/First Nations on the Canadian census too, just Other.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Labradoodle posted:

For argument's sake, what do you think the opposition should have done? Guaido needs international support if he wants to force Maduro to abandon power. If he goes and says "Hey guys, thanks for expressing your support, but we'd rather you stayed out of this" it wouldn't accomplish anything except shooting himself on the foot.

I don't disagree with the assertion the US doesn't have Venezuela's best interests at heart. Best-case scenario, they're looking to score some easy points by knocking down a dictator in their backyard and counteract Russian and Chinese influence in South America. However, Venezuela's reached a point where there's absolutely no way forward without outside pressure. The government has shown time and time again they will not cede power democratically and the military will stay in line as long as they get their piece of the pie.

It's nice to imagine a situation in which Venezuela could take care of this issue by themselves, without any foreign pressure, but that's not going to happen.

I am willing to entertain the possibility that they're courting an even worse outcome by accepting the US's backing for a coup, and it would be a crisis we'll start hearing far less about if the US-backed opposition succeeds. I'm not convinced that outside intervention is the only way forward, but that's not really my lane. I'll start reading up a bit more anyway.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

fnox posted:

I've never heard anyone that isn't an expat from a modern day African country describe themselves as afro-Venezuelan, obviously we're not race blind, and there are racist people in the country, but you'll be kind of hard pressed to find actual white supremacists or people who are actually descendants only from former slaves. I've heard traditions being described as descending from slaves, such as a good half of the gaita zuliana percussion, or Barlovento drums, but not people, it's a strange distinction to make

To complement this, one of the most traditional foods in Venezuela is the Hallaca, which was made out of literal scraps and are now enjoyed in families of every economic strata

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Insanite posted:

My experience with Venezuela is largely playing La Vida Boheme's "Radio Capital" a lot in Grand Theft Auto, so I'm also a dumb American opening this thread for the first time in months.

I want to believe that Boots Riley is correct, as Sorry to Bother You is a great movie, but this is propaganda, right?

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1088222731898744832?s=19

Is there some truth to the idea that Maduro's support breaks down along racial and class lines, and is related to discrimination along them?

I don't believe for a second that he's a good dude, but it's hard being a left Twitter person and getting a straight read on things at the moment.

Also, donating a few bucks to Caritas, too.

maduro's support breaks down along racial and class lines, yes. much can be said of the failures of Maduro and Chavez. "give the farmhands electricity, medicine, and guns" turns out to have been one of their smarter ideas. do people a solid, and remind them of it, and the majority of them will be willing to return the favor.

the urban middle class, who are most affected by lack of access to markets and are deeply personally offended they have to stand in the same line as janitors for sundries, are most of the opposition to him. hey, remember the last country the US helped overthrow- pardon, Backed Pro-American Forces- where the cities were inclined to welcome their new overlords and the difficult-to-access rural areas were united in implacable hatred?

that was a fun story. turns eighteen this year. no end in sight.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

maduro's support breaks down along racial and class lines, yes. much can be said of the failures of Maduro and Chavez. "give the farmhands electricity, medicine, and guns" turns out to have been one of their smarter ideas. do people a solid, and remind them of it, and the majority of them will be willing to return the favor.

the urban middle class, who are most affected by lack of access to markets and are deeply personally offended they have to stand in the same line as janitors for sundries, are most of the opposition to him. hey, remember the last country the US helped overthrow- pardon, Backed Pro-American Forces- where the cities were inclined to welcome their new overlords and the difficult-to-access rural areas were united in implacable hatred?

Today I learned Venezuela is the wealthiest, most developed nation of the planet

fnox
May 19, 2013

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Where are these farmhands by the way? Also where is the electricity or the medicine? Because we don't seem to produce close to anything right now, and power, water and medicine are all scarce to find.

We have always all shopped at the same stores, by the way, the only difference is that we're now queuing up for stuff you used to just be able to not even think twice about, like soap. You can't queue up for medicine, mind you, that one is a complete crapshoot, you just don't know what you're gonna find and when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Actual, explicit political organizing (even as far as labelling yourself or others 'afro--') around "race" in Latin America is much less common than in the U.S., but it still exists. It's got to exist, because there are 'races' with distinct social positions, but as the history is different than in the U.S. / Europe, the needs for this organization are different.

I can't speak for Venezuela, but I'm Colombian, and I don't think the average Colombian thinks of an "afro-Colombian community." That doesn't mean they "don't see color". They do, they know that there are black Colombians, and that they're not evenly spread across social strata and geography. But they don't identify black Colombians with a distinct "Afro-Colombian community."