Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

Hey friends, I am designing a hexblade (I know, I know) for fun and I figured I should throw in some charge cheese because it makes sense flavor-wise and it's also probably the only way to make the character's damage not completely awful. What all typically goes into charge optimization? I know you typically go for a gouge with a charge-empowering enchant, but this is a fey pact hexblade so I'm sticking with my light blade pact blade. I did take a rogue multiclass because it would be dumb not to, to get surprising charge.

For gear, I know about horned helm and iron armbands of power. Threw in a backlash tattoo as well because why not.
For feats, I know about surprising charge and deft blade (from a rogue multiclass). Probably not going to take cunning stalker because I don't plan on solo-tanking stuff.
I know there are charge-optimized PPs but I'm taking Turathi Highborn for flavor and because it's pretty effective.

Also while I'm at it, what are good ways to optimize saving throw penalties? I'm leaning on charm/domination style dailies so that'd be handy as well. Obviously orb wizard is not in the cards for this character.

items:
vanguard weapon/thundergod weapon
boots of adept charging
iron armbands of power
horned helm
badge of the berserker

feats
surprising charge
spear expertise
impaling spear

I think that covers it.....its been a while since I looked at the charge cheese kit though.

edit-just saw you were using light blade, i"m dumb, switch out spear expertise and impaling spear for light blade expertise and nimble blade

You should still take cunning stalker. Either no one is next to them, and you charge with CA, or someone is next to them, so you move yourself into position, and then charge into flank.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sure, there are vehicle basic rules in Adventurer's Vault, along with stats for airships and ornithopters, and some more vehicle stats in Manual of the Planes. They're for planar vessels, but reskin as easily as anything else.

They're not particularly complex, so beyond that, it kinda depends on what you're looking for in airship rules.

Nice, I'll start there. Thanks!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Dark Sun chat popped up in a different thread and it suddenly dawned on me to ask a question here. I just began a Dark Sun campaign and eventually I’d like to run the players through Madness at Gardmore Abbey once they reach the appropriate level. (They’re only level 2 at the moment.)

I know I need to adapt several things to make it Dark Sun appropriate. For example, I know that the orcs and servants of Bahamut will have to change. I’m going switching the Deck of Many Things into a stone tablet and have them collect fragments that will magically join together. I know that’s not really necessary but it feels more Dark Sunny.

Has anyone attempted this before and do you have any suggestions for needed changes?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I haven't tried it before, but the Secret Collector twist will definitely be more of an expectation than a twist in the Dark Sun version.

You could make the deck an artifact that survived, because it was in pieces, it's magic inert.

Bahamut guy can be a purifier, trying to contain the deck.

The beholder as holdover I think is necessary, it makes the creature mysterious and dangerous.

Replace the Dragon with a psionic monster, like a nest of Mindflayers perhaps?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Could the Offline Builder fairy drop a visit to my PMs? I seem to have lost my stuff at some point.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

starkebn posted:

you need to install the legit character builder files from 2009, then the 2010 update files, then extract cbloader into your install directory, download http://cbloader.com/indexes/WotC.index and put it in the 'Custom' folder, then always run the program using CBLoader if you want all the added content.

If it's still not working then run the RegPatcher.exe that is in the program directory in administrator mode

All this stuff is available if you google it

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

starkebn posted:

All this stuff is available if you google it

Remember to install everything in admin mode, and be careful because the default install paths are not the same between installation programs - you'll have to set them manually to be sure they're consistent.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any good tools to make a dungeon? I'm designing the next adventure for my Darksun campaign and anything that makes the job easier is welcome.

My plan is to set it in an old Eladrin ruin (halfway into the ruined Darksun feywild), with three towers intelrinked with teleports.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any good tools to make a dungeon? I'm designing the next adventure for my Darksun campaign and anything that makes the job easier is welcome.

My plan is to set it in an old Eladrin ruin (halfway into the ruined Darksun feywild), with three towers intelrinked with teleports.
I usually peruse the one-page dungeon contest winners and just grab whatever looks good from there. :)

Most are OSR-oriented, so will require some tweaking for 4e, but they are great resources.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

...Maptool?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Finally got a Windows machine set up so that I can use the old character builder. For whatever reason the Essentials stuff, or at least some of the feats, isn't included in the install that I have, so I'm probably going to have to do it all over again after making sure I have the right files.

I really want Improved Defenses and the thing that gives you a bonus to saving throws instead of more situational bonuses to keep track of.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can't "build" a dungeon with this link but you can get a random one with some parameters. It also puts in encounters, traps and special effects for certain areas.

I randomize until I get something I like the look of, and flesh it out from there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Finally got a Windows machine set up so that I can use the old character builder. For whatever reason the Essentials stuff, or at least some of the feats, isn't included in the install that I have, so I'm probably going to have to do it all over again after making sure I have the right files.

I really want Improved Defenses and the thing that gives you a bonus to saving throws instead of more situational bonuses to keep track of.

Do you have the full cbloader file set?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think I must be missing some stuff.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
What all can you do with lightning/thunder optimization, excepting Mark of Storm because dragonmarks are stupid and broken? I remember Resounding Thunder, and I think there's a feat that gives you a bonus to thunder attacks after you hit with lightning, and I'm sure there's other stuff, right?

I'm trying to figure out what all could be done for a dragonborn with lightning/thunder breath, using a rod of the dragonborn (which turns all implement attacks into [breath type]). Probably a dragon sorcerer, since they have lots of blasts to enlarge with Resounding Thunder.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 24, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dick Burglar posted:

What all can you do with lightning/thunder optimization, excepting Mark of Storm because dragonmarks are stupid and broken? I remember Resounding Thunder, and I think there's a feat that gives you a bonus to thunder attacks after you hit with lightning, and I'm sure there's other stuff, right?

I'm trying to figure out what all could be done for a dragonborn with lightning/thunder breath, using a rod of the dragonborn (which turns all implement attacks into [breath type]). Probably a dragon sorcerer, since they have lots of blasts to enlarge with Resounding Thunder.

Mark of Storms, Lyrandar Wind-Rider, Resounding Thunder, there's not a lot more tbh.

Most damage types are very poorly supported.

Maybe elementallock? Getting one specific damage type reliably is useful for them and means your power choices aren't limited.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wouldn't say they are ill supported but rather that Radiant and Frost are over supported.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gifts for the Queen item set, especially Crown of the Brilliant Sun. Solid Sound is alright. Lightning Soul, of course.

Thank God lightning damage isn't any better supported than it is; stormsoul genasi are dumb enough already.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

What all can you do with lightning/thunder optimization, excepting Mark of Storm because dragonmarks are stupid and broken? ?

I haven't investigated a whole lot of Dragonmarks, what makes them so broken?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

thespaceinvader posted:

Mark of Storms, Lyrandar Wind-Rider, Resounding Thunder, there's not a lot more tbh.

Most damage types are very poorly supported.

Maybe elementallock? Getting one specific damage type reliably is useful for them and means your power choices aren't limited.

I've been thinking about a Lyrandar Wind-Rider as a back-up character in the game I'm currently playing in. It's Planescape translated to the 4E ruleset, my current character is a Minotaur Gladiator who was raised by a Dwarf.

I figur eif Eberron exists within the multiverse, it's possible for a dude to get lost into Sigil.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moriatti posted:

They generally give a lot more stuff than most other feats, and a few in particular are extremely strong. Storm, healing, and warding are probably the three best based purely on what they give. Storm, which is the centerpiece of a lot of forced movement builds, also opens up the Wind Rider paragon path, which gives you a way to add your con mod to damage.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Moriatti posted:

Dragonmarks give extremely strong abilities, such as increasing shift/teleport distance, increasing mark penalties, and having healing abilities automatically give a saving throw. They're heroic feats, but if you tried to replicate their effects, it would usually require an epic feat or a high level item.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Then there's the Mark of making which is basically just the Item Creation Feats except you don't have to take 3 of them.

and the Mark of Handling which is step 1 of 2 in "Making Beast Mastery Rangers Not Suck."

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is step two "delete your character and play a hybrid sentinel or fey beast tamer"?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Question: I play a lvl 19 Melee Ranger with Sneak of Shadow (MC feat that lets me 1/enc Sneak Attack). If I pick the epic rogue feat that lets you apply Sneak Attacks on crits, does it mean that I can go over that limit as long as I keep critting?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Warden has some solid lightning/thunder stuff iirc

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Crotch posted:

Is step two "delete your character and play a hybrid sentinel or fey beast tamer"?

Step 2 is the mark of Handling paragon path that gives you a hyppogryph as a pet/mount.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Question: I play a lvl 19 Melee Ranger with Sneak of Shadow (MC feat that lets me 1/enc Sneak Attack). If I pick the epic rogue feat that lets you apply Sneak Attacks on crits, does it mean that I can go over that limit as long as I keep critting?
Would say no, as Critical Ambush merely expands the circumstances under which you can apply Sneak Attack, without influencing the frequency at which you can apply it. The feat's condition "you can deal your Sneak Attack damage if you have it available" isn't the only thing that keeps the limit in place, but supports this further. Main class rogues have Sneak Attack damage "available" once per turn, you do once per encounter.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh so it's just that their design space only makes sense in setting and is unbalanced if Eberron baggage and restrictions are not present.

That makes sense.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Moriatti posted:

Oh so it's just that their design space only makes sense in setting and is unbalanced if Eberron baggage and restrictions are not present.

That makes sense.

Having actual good feats (that you are always locked into taking only one of in any case) that unlock an entire set of meaningful options is hardly the first problem that should be solved in 4E.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, especially ones that open as many story options as Dragonmarks. I can see why some people may be opposed to them though? But only being able to have one and then having that make an effect on how NPCs react to you is pretty cool in my book.

Edit: specifically Mark's and shards seem really neat as design spaces.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

yeah. the 3.5 books had some really neat dragonshard items that probably wouldn't exist in other games just because the mechanics of dragonshards opened up interesting design space.

Like a whip made out of water because it's a bound water elemental with a dragonshard stuck in it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
WotC abandoning Eberron is half of what makes me like 4e more than 5e. 4e is also better in almost every mechanical respect but the Eberron thing is just infuriating. Eberron is the coolest thing that D&D has.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

WotC abandoning Eberron is half of what makes me like 4e more than 5e. 4e is also better in almost every mechanical respect but the Eberron thing is just infuriating. Eberron is the coolest thing that D&D has.

They brought eberron back, and also gave us a settingbook for Ravnica, which is softening me to 5e somewhat, though I still pine for 4e.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

They brought eberron back, and also gave us a settingbook for Ravnica, which is softening me to 5e somewhat, though I still pine for 4e.

The brought it back, without psionics or an Artificer class. It might eventually actually be back but right now it's ehhhh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

The brought it back, without psionics or an Artificer class. It might eventually actually be back but right now it's ehhhh.

Artificer is on Unearthed Arcana.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Artificer is on Unearthed Arcana.

That class, it does not work.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

That class, it does not work.

I'm aware of it... I play one...

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They released the Wayfinder’s Guide (an “””official””” Guild release), and then Ravnica dropped a thematically similar bombshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I'm aware of it... I play one...

The Unearthed Arcana Artificer made me feel like they don't understand why the Artificer is so cool