Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Daeren posted:

A bit late for the era but I would never gently caress with a mage named Mankind. Kicking their rear end would only make them more powerful. They'd be the sort of wizard who picks a fistfight with an entire pack of werewolves, does a few cool moves, gets mauled, survives, calls that a win, and you really can't argue it isn't.

joins the seers, becomes dude love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

joins the seers, becomes dude love

Who do I have to throw into barbed wire to become Cactus Jack?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

joylessdivision posted:

Who do I have to throw into barbed wire to become Cactus Jack?

You have to throw barbed wire into yourself, I'd start with Matter and Life and maybe Prime.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Mage: the Awakening Matt Hardy.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CaptainRat posted:

You have to throw barbed wire into yourself, I'd start with Matter and Life and maybe Prime.
Throwing barbed wire into yourself sounds like a Scelestus oblation.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Throwing barbed wire into yourself sounds like a Scelestus oblation.

Or a Whipping Boys one. But Cactus Jack doesn't seem like he'd fit as one of them.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The extended Dudley family = dysfunctional werewolf pack + kinfolk.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

"Well, well, well... it is I, Joel 'the ladies love to see me flex, they can't get enough of these garou pecs, and when I'm done smashing Pentex, they all line up demanding sex' Gertner..."

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Mage: the Awakening Matt Hardy.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Someone needs to make a Broken Matt Hardy Mage who yells DELETE as a spell that actually removes the thing from reality.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

"Well, well, well... it is I, Joel 'the ladies love to see me flex, they can't get enough of these garou pecs, and when I'm done smashing Pentex, they all line up demanding sex' Gertner..."

CANE SAMUEL HAIGHT

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

CANE SAMUEL HAIGHT

SAM HAIGHT IS A SOULFORGED ASHTRAY YOU SICK SONS OF BITCHES!!!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Warthur posted:

BAH GAWD, THE MAELSTROM IS BATTERING SAM ASHTRAYGHT INTO THE EUTHANATOI'S FACE! CLEARLY THE REFS ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Could you use the meta-concept of The Refs Not Paying Attention to dodge Paradox?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

Could you use the meta-concept of The Refs Not Paying Attention to dodge Paradox?

The refs are Syndicate. They don't have to pay attention, it actually owes them money.

:downsrim:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Warthur posted:

:3:

BAH GAWD THAT'S GOTTA BE CAINE!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Scion has rules for custom pantheon's, right?

https://imgur.com/gallery/7zQMjT4

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm working on a group poem about the concept of a God of Broken Arms, a trinity composed of Hulk Hogan, Tony Hawk, and Johnny Knoxville, the idea being that it was one of these three dudes who inspired kids to go out and get their poo poo wrecked. In game I'd designate the Mythbusters as demigods, since while they rarely injured themselves on show, you know dimwits trying to rack up YouTube hits have wrecked themselves trying to imitate the show.

I don't know Scion but I want to play some kind of cleric who invokes divine powers by shouting HULKAMANIA'S RUNNING WILD LIKE HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE while elbow dropping someone. Maybe it's an Elbow of Healing. Who's going to stop you? Your god can put fate in a headlock.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'm working on a group poem about the concept of a God of Broken Arms, a trinity composed of Hulk Hogan, Tony Hawk, and Johnny Knoxville, the idea being that it was one of these three dudes who inspired kids to go out and get their poo poo wrecked. In game I'd designate the Mythbusters as demigods, since while they rarely injured themselves on show, you know dimwits trying to rack up YouTube hits have wrecked themselves trying to imitate the show.

I don't know Scion but I want to play some kind of cleric who invokes divine powers by shouting HULKAMANIA'S RUNNING WILD LIKE HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE while elbow dropping someone. Maybe it's an Elbow of Healing. Who's going to stop you? Your god can put fate in a headlock.

Hogan dropped a leg. Macho Man dropped the elbow
:goonsay:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The Hulk Hogan aspect needs to have put down a terrible mummified relic of some ancient Lovecraftian prehuman pantheon, known only as the Yeh-Tay...

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

joylessdivision posted:

Hogan dropped a leg. Macho Man dropped the elbow
:goonsay:

And I just dropped the ball! Ha cha-cha cha cha! But that's the problem with forums, nobody appreciates a good pun anymore! Stay in school kids, there's no future on the staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage! (Drawn off to Vaudeville Purgatory by a hook of sufficient length)

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

quote:

Auspice, the moon under which a werewolf changes, is her first defining trait as one of the Forsaken. Auspice helps guide her in her expected role among the Uratha. A character’s auspice offers certain advantages in fulfilling that role, and Uratha often look down upon those who deviate too far from their expected roles.

Imagine someone walking up to you and slapping a book out of your hand, saying "Stop that, you're an Aries, you're supposed to be an emotional, headstrong individual, none of this reading poo poo."

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

And I just dropped the ball! Ha cha-cha cha cha! But that's the problem with forums, nobody appreciates a good pun anymore! Stay in school kids, there's no future on the staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage! (Drawn off to Vaudeville Purgatory by a hook of sufficient length)

:golfclap:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I want to run some of the 2e CoD stuff after I land a job, but I'm so indecisive. I was into Changeling the Lost, but I feel like with the players I've got at hand, I can't really run as serious a game as I'd want in that. Mage seems cool but good heavens is it hard to conceptualize running it since it can be really unpredictable as to what the players can do and there's all these fiddly bits with spell power, duration, and so on, and the Storytelling section for it sucks rear end IMO. The rest are all neat (save for Beast, which is piss and trash), but I have petty reasons that are holding me back (Demon whips rear end but designing a player's Key or w/e it was called is homebrew and Exalted has burnt out all my homebrew will for the next half-year, Werewolf has too many darn fantasy words to learn, and Vampire is too popular and my contrarian part of my brain is rebelling against playing it).

Also how did people find Changeling 2e? Seems nice on first glance, although I did not go deeper into the mechanical bits, apart from looking the Contracts over.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm gonna piggyback on that last post and ask - what are Changelings actually meant to do in general?

In Vampire you try to drink blood while convincing yourself you're still human with various macabre hobbies and politics.

In Werewolf you police the spirit world and maintain your territory and hunt stuff.

In Mage you go investigate mysteries and maybe try to make the world a less lovely place (which may involve fighting the Seers) in order to make magic and Awakening easier.

In Promethean you do all those journey steps to try and become more human and avoid getting torch-and-pitchforked.

What do Changelings do? Like yeah there's the "go get my old life back from my Fetch, or try to set up a new one" but beyond that, stuff like the Huntsmen and Gentry coming to claim you seems more reactive than proactive.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Crasical posted:

Imagine someone walking up to you and slapping a book out of your hand, saying "Stop that, you're an Aries, you're supposed to be an emotional, headstrong individual, none of this reading poo poo."

Imagine it's a reality in which even their greatest supporters have to admit that the moon has a very real god who is profoundly arbitrary at best, and probably batshit insane at worst. And that it seems you are 'favored', for some given value of the term, with their attention. Like The Pack has a nice bit where sometimes Luna just blesses rando humans and wolf-blooded with abilities a lot closer to werewolves, including gaining Renown and using Gifts. There is nothing you can say for sure about Luna.....except it's really, really powerful. How much do you want to push the issue? You seem to be inclined in a certain direction based on the moon. Do you want to poke the moon bear by utterly rejecting that? Would you let others around you while you are caught in the potential blast zone? Then again maybe slavishly accepting a role that doesn't fit you would insult the moon even more. You are made to be a hunter, not a slave.

Not for nothing, but whatever else the Pure have going on with them saying "gently caress the moon" probably isn't the most incorrect thing they've ever done. Mercurial isn't a trait you want from your deities, at least if value contentment and a long life. Which of course most werewolves don't.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I'm currently reading Changeling: the Lost 2nd and dang I finally get this game.

Like, before it somewhat bugged me how the Changelings went very fairytale-ish when it came to naming their courts and social structures, when I thought "Surely they'd go all-out in making all this as mundane and unfairy-ish as possible, given that all that poo poo is just going to remind them of their Durance?"; 2nd edition seems to better communicate that the whole Arcadia trip changed them on a fundamental level, to an extent that as much as they flinch back from the True Fae the Changelings still have an at least partially Arcadian nature now and normality will never again feel "normal" to them.

The fact that Arcadia is less "nightmare hellscape" and more "super intense, everything's turned up to 11, the pain and the abuse was hellish but there were also high points you occasionally find yourself wistful for" is a big help too, and the way that the Wyrd is presented as a power that the Fae exert but which is not exclusively associated with them. I can totally see PCs who become sufficiently powerful end up with an agenda of "turn the tables on the Keepers, seize control of the Wyrd, and lead a liberating army to conquer Arcadia".

(The part of me which likes bleak mindfucks also likes how it's 100% possible that the Changelings are no more human than their Fetches are, just creatures of Arcadia who got stuffed into a human shape that had the distinctly human bit hollowed out and are lumbered with the human's memories.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Crasical posted:

As an Aries who reads and is very headstrong I find this offensive. :colbert:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The other thing about Auspices is that unlike astrology, they're real, and you're unlikely to be assigned one that doesn't fit you.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Pope Guilty posted:

The other thing about Auspices is that unlike astrology, they're real, and you're unlikely to be assigned one that doesn't fit you.

All the example 'who you were before you got your auspice' bits tend to hedge with 'You usually displayed these character traits'.
I think that Luna is incredibly arbitrary and I absolutely believe they will slap someone with an auspice that runs contrary to their personality/worldview/philosophy if they think it's funny, and all the 'Well usually it works out' is just the Werewolves hedging around the fact that it's deeply random.

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I want to run some of the 2e CoD stuff after I land a job, but I'm so indecisive. I was into Changeling the Lost, but I feel like with the players I've got at hand, I can't really run as serious a game as I'd want in that. Mage seems cool but good heavens is it hard to conceptualize running it since it can be really unpredictable as to what the players can do and there's all these fiddly bits with spell power, duration, and so on, and the Storytelling section for it sucks rear end IMO. The rest are all neat (save for Beast, which is piss and trash), but I have petty reasons that are holding me back (Demon whips rear end but designing a player's Key or w/e it was called is homebrew and Exalted has burnt out all my homebrew will for the next half-year, Werewolf has too many darn fantasy words to learn, and Vampire is too popular and my contrarian part of my brain is rebelling against playing it).

Also how did people find Changeling 2e? Seems nice on first glance, although I did not go deeper into the mechanical bits, apart from looking the Contracts over.

Aside from the upthread mentions about the weirdness of hedge travel and some personal reservations about Clarity/breaking points being weak it seems to work out pretty well. It would probably work better with less players, I had way too loving many - some of the more personal stuff like fetches/etc gets tedious with a bunch of people.

bewilderment posted:

I'm gonna piggyback on that last post and ask - what are Changelings actually meant to do in general?

In Vampire you try to drink blood while convincing yourself you're still human with various macabre hobbies and politics.

In Werewolf you police the spirit world and maintain your territory and hunt stuff.

In Mage you go investigate mysteries and maybe try to make the world a less lovely place (which may involve fighting the Seers) in order to make magic and Awakening easier.

In Promethean you do all those journey steps to try and become more human and avoid getting torch-and-pitchforked.

What do Changelings do? Like yeah there's the "go get my old life back from my Fetch, or try to set up a new one" but beyond that, stuff like the Huntsmen and Gentry coming to claim you seems more reactive than proactive.

Get other people free, reclaim your memories via icons, find out more about your Keeper’s weaknesses (they have various Oaths that their titles have to cling to and their magic abilities are bound to items), and eventually defeat your Keeper.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

01011001 posted:

Aside from the upthread mentions about the weirdness of hedge travel and some personal reservations about Clarity/breaking points being weak it seems to work out pretty well. It would probably work better with less players, I had way too loving many - some of the more personal stuff like fetches/etc gets tedious with a bunch of people.

Hedge Travel, Pledgecrafting, and Oneiromancy are all various levels of iffy, IMO.
I've had to basically pause my current Changeling game to re-write Pages 198-222.

EDIT: Clarity is also kind of interesting(?) because it functionally doesn't DO anything for/to a Wyrd 1 Changeling because the dice mechanic is 'Roll your breaking point, if you fail, your single die of Wyrd as Clarity damage'

Crasical fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 29, 2019

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah that’s fair. A lot of those are pretty nebulous and not well explained.

Follow up on Clarity: on top of those issues, it’s extremely easy to shed Clarity damage.

01011001 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 29, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Crasical posted:

All the example 'who you were before you got your auspice' bits tend to hedge with 'You usually displayed these character traits'.
I think that Luna is incredibly arbitrary and I absolutely believe they will slap someone with an auspice that runs contrary to their personality/worldview/philosophy if they think it's funny, and all the 'Well usually it works out' is just the Werewolves hedging around the fact that it's deeply random.

Dealing with the utterly alien spirit that rules over you is definitely something you have to deal with as a Werewolf.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Werewolf society is such a sack of potatoes that I have deep sympathy for Ghost Wolves and even the Pure.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Eventually defeating your Keeper is for sure how you end up turning into a true Fae yourself. Rip a Title or a Name off them and now it's stuck to you.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Re: what to do in CTL, a lot of taking care of the freehold, getting things it needs, keeping mortal authroities dealt with, travelling into the hedge to get resources, doing projects around the place ,that sort of thing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I want to run a Kingdom Hearts game where the players are all members of the Hyuktena tribe, but I worry that idea is too Goofy to be any fun.

Crasical posted:

this is 100% how westernized gender roles work.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I want to run a Kingdom Hearts game where the players are all members of the Hyuktena tribe, but I worry that idea is too Goofy to be any fun.

Please think twice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This reminds me, are we still posting videos of what Awakenings look like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV5mmi7BBMY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Did Changeling have a developer leave midway through production, or am I misremembering that?