Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i mean yeah they arent gonna let it happen but its not technically impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shear Modulus posted:

i mean yeah they arent gonna let it happen but its not technically impossible

Something something Donald Trump elected something something impossible.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

life is hell

:ohno:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/23/amazon-scout-delivery-robot/

hungry and desperate, I see a graffiti covered robot drive past my homeless encampment

I corner it and pry the lid off, the box has 12 tube socks

in court I learn that Amazon property counts as human

i'm sentenced to 5 years hard labor in a fulfillment center

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cool Hand Luke remake looking good.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I actually approve of these kind of grifts because they have a good chance of killing the recipients.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
e: nm

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Jan 24, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

Anybody with a "smart home" deserves the guillotine

Forget desktops, it's the year of the Linux home.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1088489083079397377?s=21

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Use the app off you're male. Gotta start planning that maternal leave scam early.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

I actually approve of these kind of grifts because they have a good chance of killing the recipients.

I thought so too, but then I found out they get the blood from regular blood banks, so presumably they’ve all gone through the proper screenings. But maybe a miracle will happen, I can always hope.

they should just let blood donors check no for “do you want us to sell your blood to an old rich vampiric gently caress?” or yes if you have some horrible disease.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if I was starting to suspect that some of the smartphone apps I use I.e. the Reddit app was surfacing me ads based on conversations it overheard or emails I sent (via desktop, not my phone) would there be any way to prove that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Taintrunner posted:

if I was starting to suspect that some of the smartphone apps I use I.e. the Reddit app was surfacing me ads based on conversations it overheard or emails I sent (via desktop, not my phone) would there be any way to prove that?

Pose as a marketer and bust ’em like Cambridge Analytica was busted.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

you can save yourself some time and effort and just assume it to be true.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Prav posted:

you can save yourself some time and effort and just assume it to be true.

But then WaPo will give me Pinocchios. :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

But then WaPo will give me Pinocchios. :ohdear:

The liberal mind at work, friends.

Salmonella James
Oct 1, 2018

Low Desert Punk posted:

Anybody with a "smart home" deserves the guillotine

Tech journalism about smart refrigerators always makes me really angry. Probably no one in real life has ever owned one or ever will, but the idea that it might be desirable is more than I can bear.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I bought a Roomba with our tax return last year and it just started running like absolute poo poo. I checked the little smart app on my phone and it showed me a little diagnostic screen that said a ton of parts were worn out and needed to be replaced, like $150 worth of stuff, then linked me to a purchase page. I ended up taking it apart and cleaning\realigning everything and it works fine now. What kind of scam is that poo poo and who is so lazy that they'd just throw out perfectly good parts instead of cleaning them? Has to be someone.

At any rate, thank god the government is shut down, otherwise I'd have return money to spend on more stupid poo poo this year.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Taintrunner posted:

Constantly talk/email via desktop about something you could get ads for that you'd never web search or email or type into your phone. Pokemon or 1000 count Egyptian cotton sheets or Faraday cages or down jackets or tinfoil hats or whatever, something that would never usually come up in conversation.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Taintrunner posted:

You can check if the app has permission to your phones mic. This isn't a guarantee that the app isn't listening but larger and more popular apps won't usually risk using fuckery since they can be kicked off app stores for it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Big corps know that they’re too big to fail.

At worst they’ll be off the store for a couple of days while a declawed version is rushed through Apple’s approval.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Salmonella James posted:

smart refrigerators always makes me really angry

remember that time America showed off a 'smart refrigerator' to the soviets

yeah, the one with a man behind a two way mirror doing everything

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Salmonella James posted:

Tech journalism about smart refrigerators always makes me really angry. Probably no one in real life has ever owned one or ever will, but the idea that it might be desirable is more than I can bear.

I predict that just like with TVs, if fridges aren't there already, it will soon be impossible or prohibitively expensive to buy a non-smart fridge.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

BULBASAUR posted:

remember that time America showed off a 'smart refrigerator' to the soviets

yeah, the one with a man behind a two way mirror doing everything

lol did this really happen?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The answer to the question "did (side in the cold war) do (ridiculous, petty thing) to gently caress with the other" is basically always yes. It was probably peak passive aggression.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/andrhia/status/1088627970766442498

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s true, and the answer for Washington state (where there’s a measles outbreak) is “you can get vaccinated at thirteen without your parents’ permission but you’ll get the belt when the insurance company sends them a letter. If you dodge that, they can request your vaccination data from the state, who will happily provide it, but they’d have to be pretty paranoid to do that.”

P.S.: You can’t ban unvaccinated kids from your daycare in Washington if they claim a religious exemption.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This was posted through my door lol

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WARNING:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I don't think that warning is entirety accurate.

Could daycares claim to subscribe to a 'religion of sanity' and ban unvaccinated kids and staff on religious grounds?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Can we just start shooting antivaxxers and assure them that lead is all-natural which means it is good for them? We could even tell them they're supporting the second amendment to appeal to the MAGAmoms.

(i kid, i kid, let's not shoot people, that would be wrong and bad)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Screaming Idiot posted:

(i kid, i kid, let's not shoot people, that would be wrong and bad)

Post/username combo raising some questions.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I have to add the qualifier at the end so Lowtax doesn't have to use his robospine money to pay legal fees.

This post is surprisingly on topic.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

El Mero Mero posted:

lol did this really happen?

quote:

The Exhibition had four demonstration kitchens, but the RCA/Whirlpool Miracle Kitchen was by far the most futuristic. It promised super-fast meal preparation, push-button everything, and automatic robot cleaners. There were even large TV monitors for monitoring different parts of the home, which reportedly impressed Khrushchev. But not everything worked exactly as the exhibitors claimed.

"They had a two-way mirror with a person sitting behind it that could see the room," Joe Maxwell told me over the phone in his light southern drawl. "And they radio-controlled the vacuum cleaner and the dishwasher."

"They said it was sniffing a wire in the floor, which it could have been," Maxwell told me. "But it was easier just to have a person behind this mirror that could make all the things happen—from opening the doors and lowering the shelves and all of those different things. It was easier to do that than to put in all of those sensors all over the place, and do what the push-button said to do. It was simpler just to have a person operating that stuff remotely. That was for expediency more than it was for lack of technology."

Maxwell paused to correct himself a bit. "But there was a lack of technology. We did not have anything near what we have today. We had computers, but they were big boxes."

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/the-all-american-expo-that-invaded-cold-war-russia-550628823

enjoy

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1088915668458717184?s=21

well that’s nice

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syncopated posted:

I predict that just like with TVs, if fridges aren't there already, it will soon be impossible or prohibitively expensive to buy a non-smart fridge.

Unlike TVs where the panel is the commodity and the value add is in the software, refrigerators don't come with Android tablets glued to the them as a matter of course. Like Salmonella James says though, the idea itself is dumb enough to hurt you if you examine it. There's not even a semblance of utility in the concept for the end user on which to hang a value proposal.

What I don't understand is that if the data of what's in the fridge is so valuable to the manufacturer that they're willing to keep trying the smart fridge idea, why not just stick a camera in there and not mention it? Say it connects to wifi for "diagnostics" or some poo poo or have it sniff out unsecured networks.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's not valuable to the manufacturer, it's a scam to convince other people the data is valuable and get them to buy it. In that respect, openly making it a smart fridge convinces those people that you do indeed have a lot of data.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
2038: Area man pleads guilty to fraud and violation of end-user agreements after pasting photo of expired milk carton onto smart fridge camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

I’d like to see a genuine left analysis of what motivates communities like 4chan, who is behind them, and what their effects are. I feel like troll farm or altright shitheads is too simplistic.