Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sneakyfrog posted:

i have good relationships with most of my exes.

not gonna talk about sexy or sex stuff though

thats a fringe benefit of dating me. if you want though i'll give your current boyfriend a class for the low low price of $5000

:same:

I've always prided on my ability to end a relationship like an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
My ex works for me (at my law office) so I suppose I get along with exes too.

I was a real shitstorm when I was younger but I’ve learned how to not be an insecure wreck since.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The nature of my relationships is very passionate, whether is dinner, dancing, doing it, or dropkicking each other the gently caress out of each other’s lives. In general I try to make things work and find compromise, which means that when the relationship is over, it’s because we’ve exhausted every possible option and are still left wanting, which leads to unpleasant feelings of resentment and nasty break ups. Every time I’ve tried to dump someone in my life I was talked back into giving it another shot, so while my relationships last a while, when they are done, they are done.

A big, big part of that is moving on. I can’t get over someone if I’m still hanging out or texting them. Sever, cut loose mutual friends that aren’t that important, and block every social media page. A complete purge is seriously better for both of your mental health, IMO.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Seconding. Sever completely. In 6 months or whatever you will have the perspecrive to know if the person is worth your time to be friends or not.

You dont have that perspective after a breakup

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Today was the first day in almost a decade that I did not drink before or during work.

Congrats! One day at a time, keep it up :)

quote:

I've gotten lots of compliments from ex-girlfriends and female family members about how I always remember to keep the toilet seat flipped down and the lid closed. I smile and tell them about that Mythbusters episode where they showed that flushing the toilet with the lid open sprays toilet water all over the room, and how it really had an effect on me.

The real reason is because I usually pee in the sink and wash it down with about a quart of water from the tap. That's less than a fifth as much water as a low-flow toilet flush, so now I think that doing anything else (except peeing outside) is extremely wasteful.

I usually put the seat down too because I was a very stubborn and resentful child and I reasoned that that way everybody had to open the toilet back up again the next time it was used, rather than the entire stewardship of all toilet-seat position being put on dudes for no particular reason (which is ironically misogynist) -- oh wait I just read your second paragraph, gross

If flushing the toilet with the lid open gets water droplets everywhere I shudder to think how many pure pee droplets you're getting all over everybody's toothbrushes by peeing in the sink, but one of the big secrets of modern science is that basically everything is covered with poo poo all the time anyway so yeah y'know what still please stop doing that

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not misogyny it’s practicality. Let’s say you have a man and woman who piss and poo poo equally throughout the day. The woman literally never has to touch the toilet seat, so why shouldn’t it fall on the dude to reset the position when he is the only one who needs to gently caress with it?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I just put the lid down because I hate looking at the water that people pee and poop in. It's just preference.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I keep the toilet seat cover down all the time because my apartment is so tiny that I have to use the tank lid as a shelf for shaving cream and stuff, and if the cover were open I'd be constantly knocking things into the toilet

loquacius posted:

If flushing the toilet with the lid open gets water droplets everywhere I shudder to think how many pure pee droplets you're getting all over everybody's toothbrushes by peeing in the sink, but one of the big secrets of modern science is that basically everything is covered with poo poo all the time anyway so yeah y'know what still please stop doing that

Now I'm curious if peeing into the toilet from a standing height splatters more pee/toilet water into the air than peeing into the sink from presumably a few inches above the basin. I bet you could write a paper on it and get it published in some journal of public health

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

I keep the toilet seat cover down all the time because my apartment is so tiny that I have to use the tank lid as a shelf for shaving cream and stuff, and if the cover were open I'd be constantly knocking things into the toilet

Now I'm curious if peeing into the toilet from a standing height splatters more pee/toilet water into the air than peeing into the sink from presumably a few inches above the basin. I bet you could write a paper on it and get it published in some journal of public health

They cancelled Mythbusters too soon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Teaching women that the toilet seat is not something they should ever have to touch or adjust in any way is why the toilet seats in public women's rooms are always completely unusable

They think "I don't know what's happened on that toilet seat, so I'm not using it" but they don't also think "if I'm not using that toilet seat I should put it up" and then they get pee all over the seat, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy

Also if someone leaves the lid open while the toilet is not in use and you have shelving over your toilet it increases the odds 100% that your medication is going to fall in there at some point, ask me about this

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I like to leave the seat down when I pee so I can mark more territory. I hope your urine soaked buttocks spreads my scent far and wide.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
If you always put the toilet seat in the position you need it to be in before you use it, it will always be in the right position for you.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

Yes to both of these. Plus if you have cats you have to keep the lid closed, because they are stupid enough to try to drink from the toilet, fall in and drown.

Lastly, an open toilet is unsightly. I close the lid for aesthetic as well as practical reasons.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
You should be putting the lid down before you flush or you're getting poo-mist everywhere.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The idea of "if you leave the toilet seat up, I might not notice and fall in" doesn't really occur to men who've been single awhile, because you're used to having to check the toilet seat's position. (Even in large public restrooms, since at peak times people might be going into the stalls to piss.)

Putting the lid down inconveniences both men and women equally, which is a lovely egalitarian solution but probably won't win you any arguments over putting the seat down after you piss.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Incoherence posted:

The idea of "if you leave the toilet seat up, I might not notice and fall in" doesn't really occur to men who've been single awhile, because you're used to having to check the toilet seat's position. (Even in large public restrooms, since at peak times people might be going into the stalls to piss.)

Putting the lid down inconveniences both men and women equally, which is a lovely egalitarian solution but probably won't win you any arguments over putting the seat down after you piss.

Checking the seat in a public bathroom is less about the position and more about not wanting to sit in the piss some feral gently caress left there because they didn't bother to lift it up.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Easy solution: everyone sits to piss.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I almost never put the toilet seat down. I just kinda tell my girlfriends/whoever that I do it so they know I wasn't pooping. Win/win for everyone!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I like to leave the seat down when I pee so I can mark more territory. I hope your urine soaked buttocks spreads my scent far and wide.

just lol if u actually use a toilet and don't do a 360 degree piss tornado in the middle of the bathroom for maximum coverage

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I used to just do whatever, but since I learned that if you flush a toilet with the lid up instead of down, you get fuckin feces and piss spread all over your bathroom, and my toothbrush is like a couple meters away, I habitually just drop the lid before flushing.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

McGavin posted:

just lol if u actually use a toilet and don't do a 360 degree piss tornado in the middle of the bathroom for maximum coverage

I prolapse my bladder through my urethra, float it into the middle of the room, and with a single blink of my mind's eye detonate it.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
If you poo poo in your wifes mouth then you don't have to worry about flushing

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Flush with lid down, keep the lid up otherwise. My orchids and mosses need the humidity.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

jobson groeth posted:

If you poo poo in your wifes mouth then you don't have to worry about flushing
What if you're too shy, like the dude from the thread title of the r/relationships thread?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Freudian posted:

I prolapse my bladder through my urethra, float it into the middle of the room, and with a single blink of my mind's eye detonate it.

I bow to the master... :negative:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also can I just say as a 30 year old man I have never in my life pissed on the seat intentionally, not have I ever in my life pissed on the seat and not cleaned it immediately afterwards. Sometimes when I’m using a public restroom it gives me anxiety to think the person responsible for this catastrophe is somehow out there, driving a car or potentially owning a gun, but they can’t seem to manage the most bare bones common courtesy known to man.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

bell jar posted:

I used to just do whatever, but since I learned that if you flush a toilet with the lid up instead of down, you get fuckin feces and piss spread all over your bathroom, and my toothbrush is like a couple meters away, I habitually just drop the lid before flushing.

lol guess what

when you stand up to pee, piss also goes all over your bathroom like a fine aerosolized mist

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's almost like minuscule amounts of bathroom germs aren't that big of a deal!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Amethyst posted:

Easy solution: everyone sits to piss.

jastiger? Is that you?

I will never sit to piss. It just takes too long especially when you're in work clothes. I want to get in and out of there, not bask in everyone else's poo poo gas any longer than I have to.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just pee in the shower while drinking a beer like a grown adult. Amateur hour all up in here.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Everything is always constantly covered in poo poo all the time, stop letting pee molecules determine how you pee

quote:

I went through one semester of college right after I left high school, and it was a disaster on about a million levels. Family poo poo, my own undiagnosed/untreated mental illness, the whole shebang. I've thought about going back, but it freaks me out.

I found (through a coworker who is doing the program) a metaphysical university online that is accredited through the American Association of Drugless Practitioners and the American Alternative Medical Association, and am really loving tempted to apply. It's a little woo-woo, but I have experience with a lot of metaphysical stuff like tarot and energy work, and I feel like I could do some good.

Am I insane? Probably. But I think this might be my calling. I just need to get up the guts to click "apply for enrollment".

I mean, plenty of people make a living out of grifting spacey white people, but the college itself is probably also a grift so I wouldn't go spending my life savings on it if I were you

I don't think anyone goes to get a tarot reading and stops to think "wait, I don't think this tarot reader has a degree from a metaphysical university that is accredited through the American Alternative Medical Association"

Followup from divorced goon who got a weird call from his ex:

quote:

More of a response than I expected, so I'll clear a few things up.

As with loquacious, all my breakups have been quite final, so this is new territory for me too. I never expected to hear from her again. I made it quite clear that I don't do "friends" after a relationship. I can't pedal my feelings backward like that. Once I've been intimate with a person, that permanently changes how I see them in my life.

When I was first contacted by her, I had been on-and-off with a new girl. The new girl was sweet, but she was taking things a little too slowly for my comfort, and I couldn't help but feel like she was just using me for dates and entertainment. The day my ex called the second time, I had broken things off with the new girl that morning. Incidentally, the new girl has suddenly become a lot more attentive and affectionate, but I'm not interested.

My ex is into head games, and she's also kind of the desperate and depressed sort. If this is her feeling me out for a potential return to the relationship, then this is the way she would do it. Going off what I know about her, she's planning an exit from her current relationship and is lining someone up for a new one. She can't tolerate being alone for nearly any length of time.

Why I keep saying "voice call". Sorry, I should have clarified. I say that because it is significant that she typically greatly prefers texting to actual talking over the phone. That she is outright calling me rather than simply texting me these things is very out of the ordinary for her, especially considering how long it has been since we last spoke. So far, the only texting that has happened has been that initiated by myself. She knows I prefer talking over texting, so I kind of think that's why she's doing it.

I was already pretty well on my way to moving on from her before she called. This has caused me to backslide on that, but I just sent her a text. I told her I don't know what she wants from me, but that I told her I don't do "just friends" after a relationship, and she very well knows that. I told her that I'm trying to move on from her and her randomly appearing and asking weird questions about sex shops and random references to her boyfriend are both confusing and painful for me, and she needs to just stop and find some other way for herself to move on. I told her I'm flattered that she feels like she wants me back in her life, but that having her back in mine is just going to be a source of pain and confusion.

Thanks, all.

Excellent response, I think everyone involved is too old for head games

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
If you wanna heal by tapping the energy of the tarot archetypes, join the hogd. Under no circumstances should you pay for an online undergraduate degree, regardless of what it is for

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
A little woo-woo??

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
To quote Tim Minchin, "You know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

I found (through a coworker who is doing the program) a metaphysical university online that is accredited through the American Association of Drugless Practitioners and the American Alternative Medical Association, and am really loving tempted to apply. It's a little woo-woo, but I have experience with a lot of metaphysical stuff like tarot and energy work, and I feel like I could do some good.

Everything in this paragraph is fantastic.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I don't even want to check if either of those associations are real.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Reiki works in the sense that it feels good to lie down on a table and have someone pay attention to you for an hour. It doesn’t work in the sense that it fails to make your health problems go away, and selling it to people as a treatment makes you a very bad person.

I am reiki certified and spent two years training under some of the most serious Reiki instructors in the US, and while I really enjoyed the experience, I know longer practice it because basic meditation does most of the same thing without the doofy hand movements.

Tarot is fine, it’s like a fun wacky thing to do for people with disposable income.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Tarot is fine, it’s like a fun wacky thing to do

So is slamming your dick in the door.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I don't even want to check if either of those associations are real.

Lol they sound so fake and dumb but you know they are real things that surely dozens of people take very seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Teaching women that the toilet seat is not something they should ever have to touch or adjust in any way is why the toilet seats in public women's rooms are always completely unusable

They think "I don't know what's happened on that toilet seat, so I'm not using it" but they don't also think "if I'm not using that toilet seat I should put it up" and then they get pee all over the seat, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy

Also if someone leaves the lid open while the toilet is not in use and you have shelving over your toilet it increases the odds 100% that your medication is going to fall in there at some point, ask me about this
I remember when toilet seat covers became popular for awhile. All that happened is every toilet seat was covered in half-pissed on toilet seat covers. Like, Jesus, just wad up a bunch of toilet paper and wipe the seat down if you have to, don't just piss on the loving seat.