Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

CubeTheory posted:

So here is my question: can anyone help me come up with a cool ability in the Metamagic domain? I need as many suggestions as possible so I can hopefully get one to stick, and they can be fairly game breaking. These abilities are supposed to be powerful, and as the players complete tasks they will be able to improve their abilities and gain new ones within their domains, so they need to be somewhat scalable.

Wild Metamagic, when he casts a spell he rolls a 1d6 or whatever, it applies a random meta magic effect. Or you could have him able to add or change damage types (mentioned), make damage force damage, make it radiant or neurotic necrotic? Maybe make the spells do things like knock the target prone, push them back, etc? Arcane mastery, maybe start with things like empowering cantrips - mage hand can have meta magic applied to it for free, dancing lights can have range boosted, cantrips could be quickened etc. Make progression of these changes to higher level spells gated by creative uses of his current magical effects, maybe reward sorcery points for good uses. Allow him to absorb arcane energy directed at him (reducing spell damage taken) to boost power his own spells/restore slots. Let him create his own spells whenever he gets a new level vs picking new ones. Ask him to create a new meta magic effect that doesnt exist.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

CubeTheory posted:

So here is my question: can anyone help me come up with a cool ability in the Metamagic domain? I need as many suggestions as possible so I can hopefully get one to stick, and they can be fairly game breaking. These abilities are supposed to be powerful, and as the players complete tasks they will be able to improve their abilities and gain new ones within their domains, so they need to be somewhat scalable.
*He can Concentrate on two spells at once.
*Transmute Spell Metamagic: For 2 sorcery points, he can cast a spell, and gain the effect of any spell of the same school of equal or lower level. Spells cast in a higher level slot still use the spell's original level for this purpose.
*Metamorphic Metamagic: He can use his spell slots to cast any spell that he can access through a magic item he possesses (even consumable ones) as if he knew the spell.
*Magical Secrets: He can learn spells from any spell list.
*Spell Redirection: Any spell he Counterspells can instead be retargeted to a different target of his choice. Any spell he Dispel Magics, he can instead move to a target of his choice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Liquid Communism posted:

If you have space, go one better and get a magnetic whiteboard, and some cheap magnets you can layer with PC names, then just slap down in order as people roll initiative up. My old GM always kept one of these standing in the corner of the table, and it really helped speed combat along by letting the party know who was going when.

Yeah, my GM used something like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7HFM3P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bhlsCbRT8TETY

We just cut it into strips and put player names and NPCs and whatever and rearranged them for initiative

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

This + dry erase markers have been invaluable to my game. I use dice to represent enemies https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015IQO2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tLlsCbN9RDEMA

I only bust it out for more intense or pivitol fights, usually stuff I have had planned in advance, and otherwise let theater of the mind do the work. My friend runs exclusively theater of the mind with a small dry erase board to give a rough idea of positions and it works great as well.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm home brewing a rabbit folk race for a player and took Tabaxi as a template then changed the following:

Replaced climb speed with an extra 10ft horizonal and extra 3ft vertical leap.

Replaced slashing unarmed with a 1d6+str kick.

Replaced Stealth proficiency with Acrobatics.

Does that seem reasonable?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

mango sentinel posted:

I'm home brewing a rabbit folk race for a player and took Tabaxi as a template then changed the following:

Replaced climb speed with an extra 10ft horizonal and extra 3ft vertical leap.

Replaced slashing unarmed with a 1d6+str kick.

Replaced Stealth proficiency with Acrobatics.

Does that seem reasonable?

It's probably fine. My usual metric is to ask myself if I'd take this over Variant Human, and if the answer is no, it's probably a non-issue.

Just a couple quick thoughts:

Do you want to put a caveat on the innate Fast Movement? On monks and barbarians, for example, it can't be used in certain classes of armor. Do you think you should limit it to medium armor and lower, for example? Or at least require the character is proficient with their armor and meets the minimum strength requirement, if any.

The unarmed strike is nice, doubly so because it's a weapon you can use while keeping your hands free, which makes sword-and-board gish builds without War Caster a lot better, since now you can have a shield, a weapon, and a free hand to cast spells all at the same time. And for a race with a native DEX bonus, it feels like a shame they can't treat their unarmed strikes as a finesse weapon; personally I'd allow that for Tabaxi as well. There isn't a hard precedent for it per se, but it fits the general pattern of giving finesse access to everyone who would realistically want it.

You could probably make none of these changes and it'd still be pretty functional and fine; these are just a few annoying edge cases to sort out.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I made a rabbit race awhile ago. Ctrl+F for "Sables". Might give you some ideas.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Going through Hoard of the Dragon Queen, we're very close to the end:

We just got to the hunting cabin right outside the portals that came from the castle full of Bullywugs and Lizardmen. Except we killed Rezmere, Snotface and the guy who owned the castle (I cannot remember names) and only the Red Mage escaped. My Barbarian now has Rezmere's sword and it sounds pretty good. 4d6 +18 damage when using GWM. The Cleric has her ebony mask, and we ended the session inside the flying castle. I would like to use this sword before we finish this campaign.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

CubeTheory posted:

Alright, I need some help homebrewing.

...a sorcerer and the least inspired and has had trouble separating himself from 'just make bigger numbers'...

So here is my question: can anyone help me come up with a cool ability in the Metamagic domain?

...they need to be somewhat scalable.

Let me just get this out of the way, your Sorcerer player's a wiener. I mean, there is option paralysis, but man, there's at least two other editions of Sorcerers to pull inspiration from.

That being said, without knowing the extent of the bard's buffs or the druid's diseases, it's hard to pin down an exact level of power for this kind of effect. However, the rogue being able to create minor things out of shadow, or the ranger gaining, essentially, a multi-Mage Hand, leads me to believe you were shooting for 1st, maybe 2nd-level powers tops with these guys.

So, assuming this is what you were looking for, at this point I would say it really depends upon what kind of sorcerer he is. getting meta with the metamagic

Dragon - As you burn through your magic reserves, your inner dragon comes to light. For every two Sorcery Points you have spent, increase the AC offered from your Draconic Resilience class feature by 1 (to a maximum of your Charisma modifier). For example, if you have a total Sorcery Pool of 5, but currently have 3 2 Sorcery Points, you would increase your AC by 1. If you spend another Point, your AC would increase by another 1, for a total of +2 AC. When you cast a spell that deals damage of the type associated with your draconic ancestry, increase the damage dealt by the same amount as the AC increase.

Wild - Magic suffuses your being, untamed and free. Increase your Total Sorcery Points by 1. Whenever you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose to forego the d20 roll of your Wild Magic Surge class feature and instead roll immediately on the Wild Magic Surge table. If you do, you may recover Sorcery Points equal to the spell's level. You can't regain more than 1 Sorcery Point this way until you finish a long rest.

Divine - Your innate radiance spills forth without end. As long as you have spend a Sorcery Point, you shed light as though you were a torch. For each Sorcery Point you have spent, you shed light in a 5 ft. radius (so having spent two Sorcery Points, you would shed light in a 10 ft. radius; 3 Points 15 ft., etc). You can also spend 1 Sorcery Point as a bonus action to blind a creature within your radiance. If the targeted creature fails a Constitution saving throw, it is blinded 1d4 rounds, or until it leaves your light radius, whichever is shorter. Once you use this ability, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Shadow - Your dark energy not only suffuses your soul, but also your magic. By spending 1 Sorcery Point while standing in dim light and casting a spell that deals damage, you can alter the damage type of the spell to necrotic, instead of the original damage type. If you do, reduce each damage die one step, to a minimum of 1d4 (so d8 damage becomes d6, d6 -> d4, etc). You gain temporary HP equal to half the damage dealt, until you either take a rest or spend 1 turn in bright light.

Storm - By spending 1 Sorcery Point as you cast a spell, you can infuse that spell with the storm that rages inside you. Any unfriendly creature targeted by a 1st-level spell you cast will be knocked back 5 ft. directly away from you. This effect increases by 5 ft. for each spell level higher than 1st (so a 2nd-level spell knocks enemies back 10 ft. from you, a 3rd-level spell 15 ft., etc). You can use this ability in addition you any other abilities granted by your Metamagic class feature.

As with everything, completely untested, use at your own risk, no guarantees of balance, tweak as you see fit, batteries not included, quantities limited.

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 24, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

kazr posted:

This + dry erase markers have been invaluable to my game. I use dice to represent enemies https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015IQO2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tLlsCbN9RDEMA

I only bust it out for more intense or pivitol fights, usually stuff I have had planned in advance, and otherwise let theater of the mind do the work. My friend runs exclusively theater of the mind with a small dry erase board to give a rough idea of positions and it works great as well.

Chessex maps are the gold standard. I always used them for any D&D after 2e because it was so built around 5' squares.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

kazr posted:

I run theatre of the mind for DnD, but I also run an all-day every couple of months Dungeon Fantasy (GURPS) game where I've gone all in on maps and tactical battles. I found buying the Pathfinder Pawns box an incredibly good buy. Makes things way clearer (and visually appealing) than dice without a massive outlay in time and money on buying and painting figures.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

IMHO if you're going to use Pathfinder pawns - do yourself a favor, paint some of the bases to more easily tell similar pawns apart. The way they're made to be told apart (colored tags at the bottom of the pawn) kind of doesn't work when you put the bases on. Just use cheap craft store paint in cool colors and save yourself from going "uhhhh which goblin is that again?"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Aniodia posted:

Dragon - As you burn through your magic reserves, your inner dragon comes to light. For every two Sorcery Points you have spent, increase the AC offered from your Draconic Resilience class feature by 1 (to a maximum of your Charisma modifier). For example, if you have a total Sorcery Pool of 5, but currently have 3 Sorcery Points, you would increase your AC by 1. If you spend another Point, your AC would increase by another 1, for a total of +2 AC. When you cast a spell that deals damage of the type associated with your draconic ancestry, increase the damage dealt by the same amount as the AC increase.
Neat idea but bad math? "For every two spent, +1 AC" but once you've spent three you get a +2?

"Your Draconic Resilience unarmored AC (13 + Dexterity modifier) increases by half of the sorcery points you have spent, rounded down, to a maximum of your Charisma modifier. This effect continues until you next regain Sorcery Points."

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've got an open-hand monk levelling up to level 8, DEX is 18 and Wis is 15, and I'm currently trying to decide which I want to put my stat increase into. It's probably going to be the last ability point of the campaign *(Tomb of Annihilation).

I am torn between the +1 to hit and damage, improved initiative, etc, and the fact that the extra point in Wisdom will move my Ki Save DC from 13 to 14. I was planning on putting it into Dex, but I found a +3 staff last session and now I'm not so sure. Stunning strike has been proving super useful and it would be nice for it to be successful more often. If I take Wis now, I can get it up to 15 with the improved proficiency bonus at level 9.

What do you folks think?

e: If I went with Wis, the places I could put the spare point that would make a difference are Str (currently 13), Int (9) or Cha (11), so nothing particularly useful.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 24, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

what are your skill proficiencies?

i ask because increasing save DC and, say, Athletics, isn't a bad thing.

stringless fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 24, 2019

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Acrobatics, insight, medicine, stealth.

FFT posted:

i ask because increasing save DC and, say, Athletics, isn't a bad thing.

Generally our DM lets us choose between Acrobatics or Athletics checks, so it wouldn't make so much difference there because i just use Acrobatics.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 24, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Take Resilient (Wisdom).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

okay well increasing save DC and Insight and Medicine isn't a bad thing. And that's just for one point

You could easily make a judgement call on which of STR, INT, and CHA gets rolled the most and get a +1 to that as well.

or as above, get proficiency in a save and a +1 to that ability score

(i thought about it and was going to say "wait, surely Monks are proficient in Wisdom saves", but that was then and now they've only got STR and DEX proficiency)

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 24, 2019

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm sort of leaning towards Human Determination, now.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Conspiratiorist posted:

Take Resilient (Wisdom).

I'm guessing for the proficiency for saving throws? It's a good thing to consider. At the moment I'm think human determination, but I might have to think about that.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

FFT posted:

Neat idea but bad math? "For every two spent, +1 AC" but once you've spent three you get a +2?

"Your Draconic Resilience unarmored AC (13 + Dexterity modifier) increases by half of the sorcery points you have spent, rounded down, to a maximum of your Charisma modifier. This effect continues until you next regain Sorcery Points."

Yeah, I was doing this super late last night, and I was completely off on that. Your rewrite is exactly what I was going for, thanks.

chippy posted:

What do you folks think?

Human Determination is, AFAICT, still UA-only, but neat if allowed. If your DM doesn't allow UA stuff like that, I'd second Resilient (Wisdom). There's a good amount of spells that target Wisdom saves, so it's always nice to have proficiency with, and you still get the stat boost on top.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Aniodia posted:

Human Determination is, AFAICT, still UA-only, but neat if allowed. If your DM doesn't allow UA stuff like that, I'd second Resilient (Wisdom). There's a good amount of spells that target Wisdom saves, so it's always nice to have proficiency with, and you still get the stat boost on top.

DM has confirmed that he will allow it. I was torn between this and Resilient, the proficiency in Wisdom saves could be good. But I guess I can take them at advantage with Human Determination sometimes, which will help.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm looking for feat advice for my level 4 half orc zealot barbarian. We rolled stats so I have Str 18, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 14, and Cha 14. I was going to take Great Weapon Master originally, but the DM gave me a magic item that let's me take damage equal to my rage damage bonus to make a bonus action attack. I've got 50 HP so I use it every turn, so GWM is partially redundant and I already deal a lot of damage. I'm thinking +2 Str, +2 Con, Lucky, or Charger. Opinions? We rarely have more than a couple of fights per long rest, so I'd be able to get good use out of Lucky.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 24, 2019

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Piell posted:

I'm looking for feat advice for my level 4 half orc zealot barbarian. We rolled stats so I have Str 18, Dex 16, Con 28, Int 13, Wis 13, and Cha 14. I was going to take Great Weapon Master originally, but the DM gave me a magic item that let's me take damage equal to my rage damage bonus to make a bonus action attack. I've got 50 HP so I use it every turn, so GWM is partially redundant and I already deal a lot of damage. I'm thinking +2 Str, +2 Con, Lucky, or Charger. Opinions? We rarely have more than a couple of fights per long rest, so I'd be able to get good use out of Lucky.

Okay but uh

Is that 28 Con a typo?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Malpais Legate posted:

Okay but uh

Is that 28 Con a typo?

Yep, should be 18

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so is the flock of familiar spells technically UA or is it official

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Lucky is really boring and unfun, don't take it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Farg posted:

so is the flock of familiar spells technically UA or is it official

It's official but there's no guidance outside of AL about how to use the three spells from Lost Laboratory of Kwalish. Go for it? I think this is the only example of unique spells players can use in an adventure so there's probably a Crawford tweet out there about it...

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
We're tentatively organizing a Ravnica game. I'm looking to play a viashino that defected from Gruul to Simic in hopes of the Guardian Project turning him into a dragon. The rulebook says that Simic hybrids share their basic form and some traits of the base/original race, but there's no guidance for what to keep. Most are either really similar between viashino and hybrid templates (e.g., ability score increase, age, speed, size) so I figure I'd just go with hybrid on those. Do I keep bite and lashing tail from viashino and and swap out the wiry frame for the animal enhancement (manta glide), or drop the other viashino traits entirely? I'm looking for something fun but fair.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't have the book on me but I think you're basically talking about flavor text. Simic Hybrid has its own stat block and doesn't borrow extra abilities from other races.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I want to thank everyone for suggestions as to the Domain powers for my Sorcerer. I've taken them all into account and I'm working with him now. In the mean time, I thought I'd post a story about an Out of the Abyss session I'm playing in because I'm pretty sure we broke part of the campaign and I thought it was really fun (early in the campaign, arriving in Sloobludop):

Not sure how much homebrew my DM put into this: We arrived in Sloobludop and did some reconnaissance work to get a feel for what was going on. We learned the old leader, a priest of the Sea Mother, had been deposed by his daughter, a follower of the Deep Father. We learned the father was still alive and got in contact with him, and through a side excursion I'm fairly certain my DM made up, we learned that the Deep Father was actually Demogorgon. The daughter had been making sacrifices to him in a bizarre ritual. We also learned that all of this happened fairly recently and the entire population had not yet turned to the Deep Father. Also we learned that the rituals were nearing their goal, to summon or create something, though we didn't really know what. So we came up with a plan. With the father's blessing, we presented ourselves as emissaries of the Sea Mother to his son, a still devout follower of the Sea Mother. We convinced him we had come to anoint him as the chosen one of the Sea Mother, to cast off this new perversion. Once he was good and worked up, we let ourselves become captured, aside from our wizard who evaded detection with a combination of disguise self and invisibility. We were held and then led to a large ceremony where we were to be the final sacrifices in the ritual. The ritual began, but was quickly interrupted. With a combination of an eversmoking bottle, invisibility, thaumaturgy, and major image we made it seem like a sort of fog rose around the docks at the ceremony, and two misty serpents emerged snaking their way through the crowd, twisting together in the center and creating an opening. As this was happening the father who had been docile til this moment announced the Sea Mother had chosen a champion and the son appeared in the middle of the clearing, wearing a Cloak of Billowing we had lent him and a powerful magical trident. The son announced his new divine backing, revealed the truth of the Deep Father, and demanded his sister present her champion. She summoned a demon, and the two began to battle. Through a few well placed stealth buffs and effects, we were able to manipulate the 1 on 1 combat in the son's favor without anyone realizing we had been involved. As the son struck down the demon the sister grew frenzied and attempt to complete the ritual by sacrificing herself. We had foreseen this, however, and during the confusion of the fight we had our wizard make our fighter invisible so he could slip away and approach her. As she drew her blade to kill herself, he sprung seemingly from nowhere and used a disarming strike maneuver to send the blade into the lake. He then successfully grappled her and held her down. From the display of the Sea Mother's power and the victory her champion had won, public opinion quickly turned away from the Deep Father and a speech from father calmed the crowds down and the eventually dispersed and we took the daughter into custody. I really liked this whole encounter because we didn't end up killing anyone at all and we manipulated things behind the scenes to sway public opinion. We figured that we wouldn't we be able to pull it off as foreigners coming into a town and telling them their new god was wrong, so we worked from the edges to make the whole thing seem internal and that we were incidental.

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 24, 2019

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

I want to thank everyone for suggestions as to the Domain powers for my Sorcerer. I've taken them all into account and I'm working with him now. In the mean time, I thought I'd post a story about an Out of the Abyss session I'm playing in because I'm pretty sure we broke part of the campaign and I thought it was really fun (early in the campaign, arriving in Sloobludop):

Not sure how much homebrew my DM put into this: We arrived in Sloobludop and did some reconnaissance work to get a feel for what was going on. We learned the old leader, a priest of the Sea Mother, had been deposed by his daughter, a follower of the Deep Father. We learned the father was still alive and got in contact with him, and through a side excursion I'm fairly certain my DM made up, we learned that the Deep Father was actually Demogorgon. The daughter had been making sacrifices to him in a bizarre ritual. We also learned that all of this happened fairly recently and the entire population had not yet turned to the Deep Father. Also we learned that the rituals were nearing their goal, to summon or create something, though we didn't really know what. So we came up with a plan. With the father's blessing, we presented ourselves as emissaries of the Sea Mother to his son, a still devout follower of the Sea Mother. We convinced him we had come to anoint him as the chosen one of the Sea Mother, to cast off this new perversion. Once he was good and worked up, we let ourselves become captured, aside from our wizard who evaded detection with a combination of disguise self and invisibility. We were held and then led to a large ceremony where we were to be the final sacrifices in the ritual. The ritual began, but was quickly interrupted. With a combination of an eversmoking bottle, invisibility, thaumaturgy, and major image we made it seem like a sort of fog rose around the docks at the ceremony, and two misty serpents emerged snaking their way through the crowd, twisting together in the center and creating an opening. As this was happening the father who had been docile til this moment announced the Sea Mother had chosen a champion and the son appeared in the middle of the clearing, wearing a Cloak of Billowing we had lent him and a powerful magical trident. The son announced his new divine backing, revealed the truth of the Deep Father, and demanded his sister present her champion. She summoned a demon, and the two began to battle. Through a few well placed stealth buffs and effects, we were able to manipulate the 1 on 1 combat in the son's favor without anyone realizing we had been involved. As the son struck down the demon the sister grew frenzied and attempt to complete the ritual by sacrificing herself. We had foreseen this, however, and during the confusion of the fight we had our wizard make our fighter invisible so he could slip away and approach her. As she drew her blade to kill herself, he sprung seemingly from nowhere and used a disarming strike maneuver to send the blade into the lake. He then successfully grappled her and held her down. From the display of the Sea Mother's power and the victory her champion had won, public opinion quickly turned away from the Deep Father and a speech from father calmed the crowds down and the eventually dispersed and we took the daughter into custody. I really liked this whole encounter because we didn't end up killing anyone at all and we manipulated things behind the scenes to sway public opinion. We figured that we wouldn't we be able to pull it off as foreigners coming into a town and telling them their new god was wrong, so we worked from the edges to make the whole thing seem internal and that we were incidental.

As someone DMing a party through Out of the Abyss this was a fun read, thanks!
It looks like your DM eschewed the more railroad-y part of the adventure and gave you much more agency in how you handled the faction war in Sloobludop.
You did miss out on a fairly cool cinematic moment, but I'm sure your DM has other plans.
Kinda spoiler-y for the adventure, so dont look unless you really want to know what the book suggests happens:
The ritual is supposed to be completed by the daughter, and the Demogorgon himself rises from the lake and attacks the city indiscriminately. Everything gets destroyed and most of the kuo-toa are killed, with the party running away or risking death if they dont.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey, it looks like I'm the second guy on this page asking advice for what feat to take at level 4. I'm playing a Dwarf Battlemaster, Protection-style tank who uses heavy armor, 1H weapons and a shield, with a statline of 16/15/17/14/9/10.

I'm considering +2 STR, +1 CON and +1 WIS, Shield Master, Heavy Armor Master, Lucky, or saying "gently caress IT" as loud as I can and taking Tavern Brawler for roleplaying reasons.

Tavern Brawler would allow me to even out my CON score, which is cool, but I wouldn't really get much use out of the feat itself. Our campaign does have an unarmed-combat arena we can abuse to win money, but, there's a monk in our party anyway, so I don't have a HUGE reason to enter that myself. The only reason I'm considering it is that the character's backstory is that he got kicked out of the dwarven army for alcoholism.

In summary my question is: are any of the feats I'm considering good enough metagaming to be a better idea than just taking the ability-score improvements, and if so which one is the best choice? TIA

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

loquacius posted:

Hey, it looks like I'm the second guy on this page asking advice for what feat to take at level 4. I'm playing a Dwarf Battlemaster, Protection-style tank who uses heavy armor, 1H weapons and a shield, with a statline of 16/15/17/14/9/10.

I'm considering +2 STR, +1 CON and +1 WIS, Shield Master, Heavy Armor Master, Lucky, or saying "gently caress IT" as loud as I can and taking Tavern Brawler for roleplaying reasons.

Tavern Brawler would allow me to even out my CON score, which is cool, but I wouldn't really get much use out of the feat itself. Our campaign does have an unarmed-combat arena we can abuse to win money, but, there's a monk in our party anyway, so I don't have a HUGE reason to enter that myself. The only reason I'm considering it is that the character's backstory is that he got kicked out of the dwarven army for alcoholism.

In summary my question is: are any of the feats I'm considering good enough metagaming to be a better idea than just taking the ability-score improvements, and if so which one is the best choice? TIA

My personal ranking of your options, for mechanical purposes:
  1. +2 STR
  2. Dwarven Fortitude
  3. Observant
  4. Resilient (WIS)
  5. +1 CON/WIS
  6. Anything else

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

drat, I'd been using the PHB to look at feats, and Dwarven Fortitude isn't in there, but the campaign is using D&D Beyond for character sheets and it's a valid choice there, and it's a pretty solid option, thanks :tipshat:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Take Resilient (Wisdom).

Kind of a waste over another feat when playing Monk since they get diamond soul which gives them proficiency in all saves

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Kind of a waste over another feat when playing Monk since they get diamond soul which gives them proficiency in all saves

Except you get that at level 14 and ToA ends well before 14.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

He's a Battlemaster though, not a monk...?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Except you get that at level 14 and ToA ends well before 14.

True, in that case sure, if you're not playing the monk again

Remora posted:

He's a Battlemaster though, not a monk...?

Not that post, the one before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

New group is too drat big and DM immediately caved on the heavy rp aim, so we're loaded up on "cast magic missile at the darkness" type goofballs. I'm gonna stick around because schedule attrition might take a couple and I wanna get to know some of the others, but I'm bummed how hard it is to find a group who can keep the giggles to appropriate moments. Was looking forward to leaning into the edge and grimdark.