Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vile Pilot posted:

I'll stop disrupting your hugbox.

Like, at least own the things you say instead of pretending that you are the solom speaker speaking passively for republicans. Say that you don't think food riots are a big deal, instead of claiming you have some imaginary republican in your head that tells us to tell you that.

cat tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The embassy in Venezuela getting attacked is probably Trump’s best case scenario because he could open the government without losing face because he needs to start a war.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The embassy in Venezuela getting attacked is probably Trump’s best case scenario because he could open the government without losing face because he needs to start a war.

I doubt Venezuela is stupid enough to actually do anything.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Somethings going on with the Air Traffic Controllers:

From the ATC thread:

From Reddit (https://reddit.com/r/ATC/comments/aj6u1d/got_an_email_about_opms_guidance_on_leave_during/)

Reddit posted:

FOR WIDE DISTRIBUTION:

Please share the message below (pasted below and in the attached word doc) regarding the interpretation by OPM of the Government Employee Fair Treatment Act of 2019:

On January 16, 2019, the President signed into law the Government Employee Fair Treatment Act of 2019 (GEFTA), amending the Antideficiency Act.

Whenever federal personnel law is changed, OPM issues guidance to federal agencies concerning the implementation of applicable laws and regulations.

On January 23, 2019, the Acting OPM Director issued a Memorandum to Heads of Executive Departments and Agencies regarding GEFTA.

EXCEPTED EMPLOYEES (NOT FURLOUGHED)

OPM guidance provides that, retroactive to the start of this shutdown, employees may elect to be charged leave for an approved absence or may elect to be placed in a temporary furlough status for which they will be paid when the government opens.

The guidance further states, “We expect employees generally to choose to allow the default furlough status to be applied to any approved absence, since section 1341(c)(2) provides retroactive pay for furlough periods without charge to leave.”

In addition, the guidance provides that, “The use of such paid leave is subject to
the normally applicable rules for the applicable leave program, including leave request and approval procedures.” This means that the procedures for requesting and approving leave remain covered by the applicable collective bargaining agreement.

We have included below the relevant portion for excepted employees:

[GEFTA] establishes a new requirement, providing that excepted employees who are required to perform work during a lapse in appropriations “shall be entitled to use leave” under 5 U.S.C. chapter 63, if applicable (or under other applicable law if chapter 63 is not applicable), but that compensation for the leave will be paid after the lapse ends. The use of such paid leave is subject to the normally applicable rules for the applicable leave program, including leave request and approval procedures. While excepted employees have the option to use their paid leave (i.e., establish entitlement to paid leave to be paid after the lapse ends), they are not required to use leave to cover periods of authorized absence from work. Instead, they may choose to remain in the default status of being furloughed during any such authorized absence during the lapse. We expect employees generally to choose to allow the default furlough status to be applied to any approved absence, since section 1341(c)(2) provides retroactive pay for furlough periods without charge to leave. (emphasis added)

As another redditor summed it up:

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 24, 2019

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

No Safe Word posted:

elder huckabee refers to her dad who Michael McKean blasted pretty well recently

https://twitter.com/MJMcKean/status/1085940667191242752

"They say 'Brevity is the soul of Wit.' Now if you'll flip to page 3 It will continue to explain why my joke is funny'

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The whole gambit with Venezuela feels like an extremely John Bolton thing to get up to. Destabilize a country and leave Americans in danger as a pretense to go to war if/when they are attacked.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
After watching Better Call Saul it’s been fun seeing Woke McKean making GBS threads on chuds on twitter.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Of the little I know about Venezuela right now, I think Maduro actually is that stupid

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

From the ATC thread:

From Reddit:

Can you add a link to this post to where you found this information? It would be neat to be able to click through for full context and 'reddit' isn't the fastest way to find it.

EDIT: Thanks for the link!

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 24, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

From the ATC thread:

From Reddit:

Ummm, those dates those GEFTA amendments were signed make no sense unless Trump really wants to gently caress himself up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

The whole gambit with Venezuela feels like an extremely John Bolton thing to get up to. Destabilize a country and leave Americans in danger as a pretense to go to war if/when they are attacked.

Yeah uh Venezuela has been falling apart into a destabilized mess long before Bolton came back onto the scene.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

From the ATC thread:

From Reddit:

Sooo this is saying ATCs are free to just not show up and not worry about not getting backpay?

Soooo they will just shut down air travel until the government is reopened?

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

Data Graham posted:

...You can't do those experiments in places like NY or SF or even LA which are totally filled wall-to-wall with legacy structures that you can't replace without years of fighting (sometimes justifiably, i.e. if it weren't for Canal Street rioting on the steps of City Hall there would now be a freeway across Manhattan built by a racist futurist who would have loved to just pave over existing neighborhoods.)

Hi! Not to get too far off the Non-SOTU topic, but I enjoyed your speculative plans for Detroit. What's the Canal Street anecdote? I'd love to read up on it.

I don't claim to have explainable reasons, but I love NYC with a desperate romanticism. Wouldn't live anywhere else, better-smelling or not.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sarsapariller posted:

you should read the Venezuela thread

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

skylined! posted:

After watching Better Call Saul it’s been fun seeing Woke McKean making GBS threads on chuds on twitter.

Mr. Green/Doug from the Good Place/David St. Hubbins has always been pretty okay in my book.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Rebel Blob posted:

Huh, sounds like fighter jets are flying over DC right now. It's completely overcast right now so can't see anything, but could hear them do what sounded like a loop. Pretty unusual, normally I wouldn't be worried, but these aren't normal times.

Pages ago, but it was just a flyover for Arlington Cemetery. Happens 3-4x a month.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Priapus Unbound posted:

Can you add a link to this post to where you found this information? It would be neat to be able to click through for full context and 'reddit' isn't the fastest way to find it.

Done.

Here it is for reference: https://reddit.com/r/ATC/comments/aj6u1d/got_an_email_about_opms_guidance_on_leave_during/

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

No Safe Word posted:

elder huckabee refers to her dad who Michael McKean blasted pretty well recently

https://twitter.com/MJMcKean/status/1085940667191242752

Chuck is funnier than Huckabee. The character, not the actor.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Mike Huckabee is exactly what all the right wing Nazis of Twitter are gonna look like in a few decades. I can't wait to see think pieces from a guy who looks exactly like Mike Huckabee except his wall is covered in big titty anime figurines.

Someone missed out on the glory days of Rob Morrow’s Twitter account.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

you should read the Venezuela thread

What is the attitude of some of the resident tankies vs the Goons actually living there?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

Ummm, those dates those GEFTA amendments were signed make no sense unless Trump really wants to gently caress himself up.

Trump do dumb, self-defeating thing? Shocking!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Current speculation I’ve seen is that they will simply turn off utilities and deny ground deliveries to the embassy until they are annoyed enough to leave on their own.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Boy I hope their interpretation is correct. Shut the loving airports down TOMORROW and let's get the cheetoh and Mitch under some real pressure.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Priapus Unbound posted:

EDIT: Thanks for the link!

I feel kindred spirits between this thread and that thread in that this seems like major news and they are largely talking about if banging in or banging out is what you call skipping work.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Current speculation I’ve seen is that they will simply turn off utilities and deny ground deliveries to the embassy until they are annoyed enough to leave on their own.

Speaking of which, has the White House paid their water bill yet?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Treat them like regular Venezuelans, got it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the attitude of some of the resident tankies vs the Goons actually living there?

at odds to put it lightly

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Those "smart" versions are going to be even more destructive because they are going to give ICE even more tools to play around and brutalize people with

But then again "Fascism but efficient" seems to be where the centrist wing of the democrats want to pivot to, so...

Preventing people from entering the country is not fascism, ICE Gestapo =/= border security

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OctaMurk posted:

Preventing people from entering the country is not fascism, ICE Gestapo =/= border security

American law enforcement is inherently white supremacist, any current “border security” scheme is in fact a euphemism for brutalizing marginalized people.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lightning Knight posted:

That would be the best way to end that. Why go the violent route when you can make them sit in a blazing hot building full of poo poo-filled un-flushed toilets and just laugh at them all the way to the airport (where they’ll find they have to land in Mexico and drive the rest of the way when as there’s no loving ATC in the US lmao).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Remember that hotel in England that owed a contractor like 700 pounds, so he brought his construction equipment in and completely destroyed the hotel, just smashing glass and walls and ceilings and electrical work for like half an hour? Some American contractor is probably going to do that in a government building if this shutdown continues. It'll be a thing to watch.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

Boy I hope their interpretation is correct. Shut the loving airports down TOMORROW and let's get the cheetoh and Mitch under some real pressure.

Yeah this is interesting, but since it's subject to normal approvals, I wouldn't be surprised if management said, "sure so long as we maintain minimum staffing levels." Dunno how much impact that'd have but this is very strange.

Also, why would Trump's OPM allow this?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Somewhat related, the General Services Administration apparently has no plan for paying utilities on commercial spaces some government agencies lease in February.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

OctaMurk posted:

border-security-kicking-over-water-left-for-migrants.gif

Also, superbowl is this sunday and if ATC shuts down there are going to be a lot of very pissed off rich folk who missed the big game

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
We really just gotta stop trying to talk to these morons and start tricking them: agree to fund the wall for $25-50 billion but "forget" to mention location or type, then just use the money to build an eastern seaboard wall to protect against the rising tides.
Like the one trump wants in Ireland for this exact reason.

Or, again, agree to pay for the wall. And the cigarettes and blindfolds.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Remember that hotel in England that owed a contractor like 700 pounds, so he brought his construction equipment in and completely destroyed the hotel, just smashing glass and walls and ceilings and electrical work for like half an hour? Some American contractor is probably going to do that in a government building if this shutdown continues. It'll be a thing to watch.

I mean, there are 4 Million contractors out of work right now so odds are good! There is almost ZERO mention of federal contractors being out of work and that kind of pisses me off

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1088493104963993603

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has the elder Huckabee made any painfully unfunny attempts at comedy at AOC’s expense?

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/1085537749027950592

Q: What does Mike Huckabee have in common with Laurel and Hardy?

A: I prefer their silent comedy

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

OctaMurk posted:

The thousands of bodies of those who died in the Sonoran desert might be a major flaw in this idea.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

The only parts that are questionable are what counts as "approved leave" (aka, if you all tried to go out on leave at once, could your manager just refuse?), and whether or not, even if they could get away with it, we'd end up having Reagan ATC Part II as a result.

quote:

Also, why would Trump's OPM allow this?

My guess is that he's not the type to inspire loyalty among regular federal employees, especially ones not getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You're in Georgia, aren't you? One chud senator (Perdue) and one slightly less chud senator (Isakson), big airline industry...was I close?

Yep. Delta is going to body slam our Senators when/if the TSA finally says "gently caress it."

I'm putting all my eggs in the airline industry basket as what's going to finally force Republicans to vote against Trump.