Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1088386013876101122

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Say what you want about George Will, the man is one hundred percent committed to :decorum:

that isn't really a compliment but like, this take coming from him is absolutely unsurprising, and him ripping on Graham makes sense cause he thought ol' Linds was too

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, how many days before we see consulate officials killed and #but_her_emails trending?

Well Lindsay Graham’s already pledged to investigate the email investigation so whenever Congress opens back up for the latter.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I am not certain that George Will is a real person and not either a writing team or a moderately advanced AI.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oracle posted:

Well Lindsay Graham’s already pledged to investigate the email investigation so whenever Congress opens back up for the latter.

Should have loving known.

Trump openly sets into motion a scheme to get consulate officials killed in Venezuela.

GOP asks, "Why did Hillary get consulate officials killed in Benghazi?"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I am not certain that George Will is a real person and not either a writing team or a moderately advanced AI.

I have actually met Will in person. He seems saner than the persona presented in his columns, though, so that doesn't really disprove the writing team theory.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Silver2195 posted:

I have actually met Will in person. He seems saner than the persona presented in his columns, though, so that doesn't really disprove the writing team theory.

i recall that krugman anecdote about how he saw george will riding the northeast corridor train from DC to new york...despite having penned an op/ed denouncing focuses on public transportation as :airquote:collectivism:airquote:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

PainterofCrap posted:

Is that a character from Bob’s Burgers?

Looks like Sean Hannity to me, lock him up boys.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

huh.... scientists think they may have just figured out what causes alzheimer's, and they may be less than a year away from testing a vaccine that could prevent and reverse it. Probably too late to help Trump.

https://twitter.com/jasonlouv/status/1088324215604801536

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rigel posted:

huh.... scientists think they may have just figured out what causes alzheimer's, and they may be less than a year away from testing a vaccine that could prevent and reverse it. Probably too late to help Trump.

Uhhh.... *reaches for floss on desk*

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

what if flossing/brushing causes micro-tears in your gums and that's how it gets in the bloodstream? :ohdear:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

How many words did you get in before the conversation became about baseball?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Rigel posted:

I'm not certain how confident you should be in this one, all of the info is directly or indirectly cited to people from the company developing the drug. Science is an okay outlet (it's really inconsistent in quality), and I don't know anything about Advances.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rigel posted:

*flossing intensifies*

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not certain how confident you should be in this one, all of the info is directly or indirectly cited to people from the company developing the drug. Science is an okay outlet (it's really inconsistent in quality), and I don't know anything about Advances.

I did a run-through of this article and related sources. Looks like there are at least a couple of different research groups that have found the same behavior, and the numbers have convinced me there is definitely a huge degree of co-morbidity/co-evolution of the diseases, and probably a directly-causative link. And yes, the results are coming out of corporate labs, but the peer-review at Science is still robust enough (especially for this kind of high-impact result) that I would be confident that they did their due diligence. Obviously none of that means that anything has been Proven, whatever that may entail. So it's appropriate to get excited over this, but don't go around claiming there's gonna be a cure soon.

Edit: Advances is just the side-publication of Science Mag that deals with big new results, like the Letters section in some journals used to be. Nature has one too but I forgot what they call it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah but if you give a vaccine for Alzheimer's to old people then you'll make them autistic and then poo poo posting will overwhelm the internet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but if you give a vaccine for Alzheimer's to old people then you'll make them autistic and then poo poo posting will overwhelm the internet.

I want to see life-or-death Elevator Superiority debates carried out by 90 year old women clutching waifu pillows.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Zachack posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zachack posted:

It's probably dumb but I seriously thought about buying toothpaste with triclosan after reading that article last night. (I actually bought toothpaste with stannous fluoroide which is supposed to also have antibacterial effects).

I'm sure this will end up being disproven or something, and even if it isn't hopefully the vaccine will actually come out, but yikes.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 24, 2019

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mystes posted:

I'm sure this will end up being disproven or something, and even if it isn't hopefully the vaccine will actually come out, but yikes.

It reminds me of a number of historical scientific discoveries that came flying in out of left field. It's so stupid it almost has to be true.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

He’s real.

You wanna understand George Will? He’s a HUGE baseball nut. Knows baseball inside and out. Filter everything about him through baseball. Things are done a certain way. Even if a rule change would make the game better, he’s against it, because he measures policy, people, and all facets of the universe through the rules that were put in play. It’s not about whether the game could be improved; it’s about measuring every human being through the exact same metric. Because if they’re not in that metric, it’s not baseball.

Does that make sense?

mystes
May 31, 2006

mdemone posted:

It reminds me of a number of historical scientific discoveries that came flying in out of left field. It's so stupid it almost has to be true.
There has recently been a lot of interest in the idea that it's caused by a virus, but there have been lots of other random theories like it being fungal (literally, there was a very similar paper a year ago where the authors claimed to find some sort of fungal infection in almost all brain samples from people with alzheimer's or something). I think partly it's just that the drugs based on the amyloid plaque hypothesis all failed so people are looking for other possibilities that would enable drugs to be developed quickly, and it's much too early to be optimistic.

As with attempts to stop aging, the money to develop drugs goes to ideas that would enable easy cures (programmed aging) and not necessarily the ideas that have the most solid evidence but would be hard to cure.

That said, in this case as long as the vaccine can prevent periodontal disease that would be pretty awesome even if it can't prevent/cure alzheimer's.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 24, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I have to wonder if this sort of connection is similar to the connection between periodontal disease and heart disease.

Either that or it's because you're eating poorly. :p

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Dave Grool posted:

what if flossing/brushing causes micro-tears in your gums and that's how it gets in the bloodstream? :ohdear:

That's why you can also use a chlorhexidine mouthwash!

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

I have to wonder if this sort of connection is similar to the connection between periodontal disease and heart disease.

Either that or it's because you're eating poorly. :p

A well established link in the medical literature? Dental cares can cause all sorts of issues. Some people are really lucky considering how poorly they take care of their teeth.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mdemone posted:

I did a run-through of this article and related sources. Looks like there are at least a couple of different research groups that have found the same behavior, and the numbers have convinced me there is definitely a huge degree of co-morbidity/co-evolution of the diseases, and probably a directly-causative link. And yes, the results are coming out of corporate labs, but the peer-review at Science is still robust enough (especially for this kind of high-impact result) that I would be confident that they did their due diligence. Obviously none of that means that anything has been Proven, whatever that may entail. So it's appropriate to get excited over this, but don't go around claiming there's gonna be a cure soon.

Edit: Advances is just the side-publication of Science Mag that deals with big new results, like the Letters section in some journals used to be. Nature has one too but I forgot what they call it.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

He’s real.

You wanna understand George Will? He’s a HUGE baseball nut. Knows baseball inside and out. Filter everything about him through baseball. Things are done a certain way. Even if a rule change would make the game better, he’s against it, because he measures policy, people, and all facets of the universe through the rules that were put in play. It’s not about whether the game could be improved; it’s about measuring every human being through the exact same metric. Because if they’re not in that metric, it’s not baseball.

Does that make sense?

These are both really helpful, thank you!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

This is about the most American thing ever.

quote:

A superintendent from Elwood, Indiana, is facing charges of insurance fraud after police say she used her son's name to get medical treatment for a sick student who didn't have health insurance, CBS affiliate WTTV-TV reports.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/indiana-school-superintendent-casey-smitherman-charged-for-using-health-insurance-to-help-sick-student/

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Neat!

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1088608140277542912

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unfortunately, all classification is under the authority of the executive branch so if Trump wants him to get a clearance he'll get a clearance in the end.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Worth noting wrt classification stuff: they'll hand out clearances to people with all kinds of shady poo poo in their past. Like it alarms people when they hear about all the dirt you can have on you and still get high level clearances.

To get denied repeatedly for a clearance takes some pretty serious concern that 1) you aren't disclosing potentially compromising info and 2) your current situation would lead you to actually consider selling out your country.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Worth noting wrt classification stuff: they'll hand out clearances to people with all kinds of shady poo poo in their past. Like it alarms people when they hear about all the dirt you can have on you and still get high level clearances.

To get denied repeatedly for a clearance takes some pretty serious concern that 1) you aren't disclosing potentially compromising info and 2) your current situation would lead you to actually consider selling out your country.

I know one former coworker who used to have a meth habit get a Q clearance (DOE's version of a TS). Usually it's not owing up to some shady poo poo AND having money problems that gets you denied.

EDIT: Or mental health issues, though depression gets a pass every now and then.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Dipshit posted:

I know one former coworker who used to have a meth habit get a Q clearance...

That explains a lot.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0lrx47YOc0

Clearly, this guy had the right idea.

Edit: He is a historical person, and also appears in Boardwalk Empire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cotton_(doctor)

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

mdemone posted:

I don't have anything to say about your other statements, but the bolded bit isn't right. The so-called big journals have just as much politics and playing the refs as other journals, if not more so. The only thing publication in Science or Nature tells me is either that someone thinks the result will drive readership/pageviews/impact factor or that a highly connected person is on the author list, but says little about the underlying science.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Zachack posted:

Interdental brushes mate

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MickeyFinn posted:

I don't have anything to say about your other statements, but the bolded bit isn't right. The so-called big journals have just as much politics and playing the refs as other journals, if not more so. The only thing publication in Science or Nature tells me is either that someone thinks the result will drive readership/pageviews/impact factor or that a highly connected person is on the author list, but says little about the underlying science.

Surely this is, uh, a bit melodramatic?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Some good news this morning.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1088764877391519744?s=09

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Well, whoever said “Get Me Roger Stone” congratulations on finally getting him!

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lmao this owns I hate this loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
CNN keeps repeating and emphasizing "a senior Trump campaign official was directed to contact Roger Stone"