Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Have you read Deborah Blum's The Poisoner's Handbook? It sounds like it might be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Lester Shy posted:

I've got two audible credits and I find it hard to retain information when listening to novels, so I'm looking for nonfiction recommendations. I'm mainly interested in true crime and history, especially medical history. Something like The Royal Art of Poison is right up my alley.

"Westcork" from audible was amazing for a true-crime series. If you missed "Dirty John" (not the TV adaption, that is hot garbage) stop everything and listen to that right now, best true crime in years :)

EDIT: both are podcasts but whatever, same same.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I'm about to wrap up Jose Saramago's Death with Interruptions, and was wondering if anyone had any recs for books that aren't necessarily similar, but just generally explore a world with a batshit premise.

Maybe something along the lines of Nick Harkaway's The Gone-Away World or Tom Perrotta's The Leftovers?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

eighty-four merc posted:

I'm about to wrap up Jose Saramago's Death with Interruptions, and was wondering if anyone had any recs for books that aren't necessarily similar, but just generally explore a world with a batshit premise.

Maybe something along the lines of Nick Harkaway's The Gone-Away World or Tom Perrotta's The Leftovers?

The Illumination by Kevin Brockmeier
The Age of Miracles by Karen Walker

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hit me with a wildcard for the booklord challenge. Must be available on Kindle

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Finnegans Wake

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Hit me with a wildcard for the booklord challenge. Must be available on Kindle

I’m going to go really wild for you.

the king in the north: the life and times of oswald of northumbria by Max Adams.

Nothing to do with game of thrones but clearly an academic was inspired by his rage at GRRM to write this. Bonus it’s currently on kindle unlimited if you haven’t had the trial.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Okay the Major Major Major Major backstory chapter was a Major step up in terms of enjoyment for me, that sure was spectacular. It felt very much more focused than previous chapters. I'm going to keep going.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Illumination by Kevin Brockmeier
The Age of Miracles by Karen Walker

These look fantastic, thank you.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

eighty-four merc posted:

I think the interesting thing about that book is not so much the setting but the way it discusses death, considering Saramago was 82 when he wrote it. I can't think of another book where death is as lucid yet not so unmorbid

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

eighty-four merc posted:

i would highly recommend this month's book of the month: roadside picnic by arkady and boris strugatsky

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Okay the Major Major Major Major backstory chapter was a Major step up in terms of enjoyment for me, that sure was spectacular. It felt very much more focused than previous chapters. I'm going to keep going.

I believe in you!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

Finnegans Wake

drat, that looks demanding. I'll try and see how it works out

learnincurve posted:

I’m going to go really wild for you.

the king in the north: the life and times of oswald of northumbria by Max Adams.

Nothing to do with game of thrones but clearly an academic was inspired by his rage at GRRM to write this. Bonus it’s currently on kindle unlimited if you haven’t had the trial.

The other poster was faster, but this looks very interesting and I will get it anyway. Thanks!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Subjunctive posted:

I believe in you!

I have no idea what snapped but I feel like a switch flipped and I'm totally adjusted to the writing style and not expecting something the book isn't. It's a long read but I'm feeling pretty comfortable that I'll be able to finish it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for good/fun books on cryptozoology. I don't really care if the writer is a true believer or not (I am definitely not), I just find the subject matter fascinating regardless of how silly it is. Encyclopedia or textbook style is okay, but I'd love something that's a little more... travelogue-y, if that makes sense? I remember reading Mothman Prophecies in high school and loving it, and I'm sure it was probably actually terrible, but something along those lines would be neat.

Also if somebody could tell me whether Mothman Prophecies was, in fact, terrible, that'd be great. If it's okay, I might give it another read.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

drat, that looks demanding. I'll try and see how it works out

You chose well, godspeed!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Burning Rain posted:

You chose well, godspeed!

evil

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Burning Rain posted:

Finnegans Wake

why would you do this to someone

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is Finnegan's Wake like the Finnish classic (which literally no-one has actually read despite claiming otherwise) Alastalon salissa? I quote from Wikipedia (translation my own):

quote:

Alastalon salissa is a story of six hours, during which a group of villagers from Kustavi discuss investing in Herman Mattsson of Alastalo's bark. The most famous episode in the detailing of the meeting, altogether comprising about nine hundred pages, is the choosing of the pipe, wherein the master of Härkäniemi walks to the pipe rack at the back of the hall and chooses the pipe most suiting of his needs. This contemplation and thought processes both related and unrelated to it take about seventy pages worth of text (3. chapter).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is Finnegan's Wake like the Finnish classic (which literally no-one has actually read despite claiming otherwise) Alastalon salissa? I quote from Wikipedia (translation my own):
That sounds more like the Dream of the Red Chamber. Finnegan's Wake is a different type of beast, although I suspect most people have very similar relationship to it.

It is a pretty evil recommendation.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, I read a couple of pages last night, I think there might’ve been a scene in which someone attempted to wash their hair in a bathtub, but the waters parted biblical style, which might’ve been funny. IDK, I’ll decide whether there is anything to be gained by this sometime later.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jerry Cotton posted:

quote:

The entire book is written in a largely idiosyncratic language, which blends standard English lexical items and neologistic multilingual puns and portmanteau words to unique effect. Many critics believe the technique was Joyce's attempt to recreate the experience of sleep and dreams.[3] Owing to the work's linguistic experiments, stream of consciousness writing style, literary allusions, free dream associations, and abandonment of narrative conventions, Finnegans Wake remains largely unread by the general public

It's the equivalent of recommending a book written in a foreign language and not available in translation.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's the equivalent of recommending a book written in a foreign language and not available in translation.

No it isn't, that's silly.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As an example, here's the first few paragraphs:

quote:

riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Sir Tristram, violer d’amores, fr’over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer’s rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County’s gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all’s fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa’s malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.

The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since devlinsfirst loved livvy.

If you're really serious about reading it, there are plenty of reading guides and even support groups available.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Well I’ll need a support group for sure

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve seen Cloud Atlas so read that in Tom Hanks voice and got it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Just picked up Bellefleur, which I'd been vaguely intrigued by for years but never checked out. Any recommendations for more Oates, aside from no-brainers like the other gothic novels and the Wonderland books?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sorry for asking, I guess.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Sorry for asking, I guess.

Try steel cut.

e: misread, my apologies

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Can someone recommend me something with a focus on behind-the-scenes factional struggles/political machinations? Both fiction and non-fiction accessible to a layman will do.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Can anyone recommend me some horror books? I've read some Stephen King stuff over the years and never got the "can't sleep after reading" thing people say they from his books. I wanna be unsettled and freaked the gently caress out. Any type of book is cool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

40-Degree Day posted:

Can anyone recommend me some horror books? I've read some Stephen King stuff over the years and never got the "can't sleep after reading" thing people say they from his books. I wanna be unsettled and freaked the gently caress out. Any type of book is cool.

Might be too unsettling but https://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Risk-Michael-Lewis/dp/1324002646

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

40-Degree Day posted:

Read The Sixth Extinction.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

40-Degree Day posted:

The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Alright, looking for nonfiction manned flight/space-race type books that lean more technical than biographical. Dad was an aero engineer, I'm electrical so I'm fine with charts, graphs, dry stuff, the more technical the better. I like technical details about design, performance, margins, planning, chains of decisions (either in design and planning or in an emergency), critical thinking and risk management. I'm really intrigued about how things work, are supposed to work, don't work when things don't go right, etc. I like being able to read, in as much depth as possible, the root causes of issues (in aviation or space travel there's often a chain of events leading up to a problem that's outside the normal planning process). Even the science planning stuff is interesting, the specific experiments and instrumentation etc. Also doesn't have to be american, I've read some books on the Soviet side and those are interesting as well.

Really anything from the early 50's type stuff through current. I'd be fine reading about the transfer of scientists and engineers after WW2 and the current design and planning stuff for things like the ISS and future lunar/mars plans, but I suspect the largest selection is going to be the X-15 through Apollo years, then the orbiter years and the two losses there.

As background, here are some I've read and my quick hot take if that helps determine my preferences.

Failure Is Not An Option - Generally liked it, good broad overview of a lot of missions and how mission control works. Read a long time ago, don't remember much.
Carrying The Fire - Liked it a lot, less interested in the biographical aspects but at the same time they did inform a lot of the parts that were more interesting like the decisions made under pressure or with imperfect information.
Thirteen - Liked it a lot, just read it recently. Very short but has a lot of focus on design, tech (not very deep but still there), and problem solving that went on. Learned a bunch of new stuff I hadn't known before and I've lost more days on Wikipedia or random websites than I care to count looking into stuff like the Apollo 13 mission.

We saw First Man last night and that's what got me fired back up about this. I see Armstrong's biography First Man and will likely read it so no need to recommend it here. I just bought Rocket Men (Kurson) and Apollo 8 (Kluger), will see how those shake out.

Has anyone read the Outward Odyssey series? Seems like a good bet but maybe someone's read it and can comment.

Lastly feel free to recommend websites, I'm sure there are like forums or sites devoted to these things. I know I've been on a few but nothing I remember clearly. I assume NASA has a lot of this stuff archived and available (like the comms transcriptions and photography), haven't really looked too deeply into other public-domain type resources. I have also dragged my feet on getting some of the technical manual type books as they're hardcover, and I primarily read on my phone (huge bonus if there's a kindle edition with audible companion add-on). I realize charts and graphs and poo poo don't make good audiobooks. That being said those workshop manuals look right up my alley, I'll probably grab one to see how I like them.

Thanks in advance.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Joyce carol oates has written about two good stories ever and one of them is in a horror anthology called “999” alongside stories about telepathic little girls who will tentacle monsters into being

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Will keep in mind, thanks.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
she also blocked me on Twitter

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Goondolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

uwaeve posted:

Alright, looking for nonfiction manned flight/space-race type books that lean more technical than biographical.

Personal recommendations:

Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed, by Ben Rich (second director of the Skunk Works project at Lockheed and successor to the founder thereof). A mix of technical details (especially on stealth technology. Did you know the scientific breakthrough that led to stealth was actually made by a Russian professor?), incredible anecdotes, war stories... and effective project management (really. At its core, it's a book about management, and a pretty good one). The chapter about the F-117 is pretty amusing in hindsight, because on a careful read it reveals every single weakness that was exploited by Serbians to shoot down the "invisible plane", three years after the publication of the book

Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet, by Brian Shul (a unique combination of SR-71 pilot and aerial photographer - the book is illustrated with some of his photos, that capture the incredible sights you could get from the canopy of the Blackbird). A pilot-centric view of the legendary Skunk Works supersonic spy plane. Non-technical, but plenty of (cold) war stories, plus the aforementioned photos. Probably not exactly what you're looking for but a good companion for Skunk Works

Ignition!: An informal history of liquid rocket propellants, by John D. Clark (chief chemist at a military research center on liquid rocket propellants). Rocket science is damned hard, and incredibly dangerous too. John D. Clark gives a brief history of the development of liquid rocket propellants, 40s-70s, mostly for military applications, with many amusing anecdotes, some black humor on the daily realities of working with absolutely deadly forces, and some pretty dense technical information on the chemistry involved that mostly flew over my head. Hard to find in print, but there's a free PDF floating around (not a good scan, but decently readable)