Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

rgocs posted:

Fox, Calderon and Peña, the three Stooges, deviated from the historical non-intervention policy, yes. AMLO and Ebrard just went back to what Mexico's policy had been before them.

So you're fine with them letting Maduro be, just because it was tradition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

he should prepare an invasion together with trump and bolsonaro

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So you're fine with them letting Maduro be, just because it was tradition?
I support the decision to stay neutral so as to leave an open channel of communication. Similar to how it was done with Cuba.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I heard he doesn't get involved in internal US matters either.

https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/1082994395090219008

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RWhelanWSJ/status/1083872442630660096?s=19

This guy links a bunch of pretty interesting articles in English about Mexico and Latin America.

https://twitter.com/RWhelanWSJ/status/1083838021462458368?s=19

ArnieD
Apr 1, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/RWhelanWSJ/status/1083872442630660096?s=19

This guy links a bunch of pretty interesting articles in English about Mexico and Latin America.

https://twitter.com/RWhelanWSJ/status/1083838021462458368?s=19

https://twitter.com/RWhelanWSJ/status/1083878314853298176

Most of the thread already saw how transparent and full of poo poo you are. At least put more effort in your posts before coming here and posting all the negative AMLO notes you find

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I mean, I was just sharing those articles because they were relevant to the discussion we were having and I thought it was interesting to read opinions from people outside the country, whether you want to check them or not is your call. :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just asking questions!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AMLO isn’t going to make fun of Maduros education nor has he come out for regime change so he must be very much in love with Maduro hmmm are they brothers?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Betrayed stellar examples of Latin American democracies such as Brazil

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean, I was just sharing those articles because they were relevant to the discussion we were having and I thought it was interesting to read opinions from people outside the country, whether you want to check them or not is your call. :shrug:

The story you posted contains half truths. Of course the import volume will decrease once storage capacity is full and the ability to evacuate fuel from the Veracruz to the center of the country by pipes is not operational.

So far this path of action has caused difficulties yeah, but also it has also brought to light the magnitude of what was being stolen and diverted both by PEMEX, government officials and actual fuel thiefs. It'll take some more time to be able to tell whether doing all of this was worth it or not.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Freezer posted:

The story you posted contains half truths. Of course the import volume will decrease once storage capacity is full and the ability to evacuate fuel from the Veracruz to the center of the country by pipes is not operational.

So far this path of action has caused difficulties yeah, but also it has also brought to light the magnitude of what was being stolen and diverted both by PEMEX, government officials and actual fuel thiefs. It'll take some more time to be able to tell whether doing all of this was worth it or not.

The article is acknowledging all of that and is what the twitter guy was clarifying in its following tweet. Here's a link to it for discussions sake

That said, the question now is if the reduction on fuel importations was a decision taken as part of AMLO's strategy to fight huachicoleo or if is a decision taken before that and thus, (mostly) unrelated to said strategy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp

https://twitter.com/RWhelanWSJ/status/1084184054864535557?s=19

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

You as a latin american know 100% full well that him saying "no son serias" does not mean "Ah, they're not serious", and the real translation would be something more like "they cannot be taken seriously" (i.e. "they're fooling us", "they've been done incompetently", "they're taking the piss", etc etc). It might sound like a small difference but I know you're fully aware of how it changes the headline and you're being disingenuous here.

This is without me taking any sort of stance on AMLO at all - you're clearly presenting a distorted interpretation of his speech.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pochoclo posted:

You as a latin american know 100% full well that him saying "no son serias" does not mean "Ah, they're not serious", and the real translation would be something more like "they cannot be taken seriously" (i.e. "they're fooling us", "they've been done incompetently", "they're taking the piss", etc etc). It might sound like a small difference but I know you're fully aware of how it changes the headline and you're being disingenuous here.

This is without me taking any sort of stance on AMLO at all - you're clearly presenting a distorted interpretation of his speech.

If you're familiar with AMLO then you'll know he means both when he dismisses information (regardless of the source) not aligned with his agenda.

That's why fifi has become a meme in social media here.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Here you go buddy, from notable left wing bastion El Financiero Bloomberg. To non-Spanish speakers, apologies for the inconveniences.

The amount of disinformation on social media is pissing me off (WhatsApp groups being the absolute worst offender, naturally).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/NoahHurowitz/status/1085273359544434691

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Queue DT saying this was all AMLO's fault

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Queue DT saying this was all AMLO's fault

the amlo-maduro axis of evil is responsible for this

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
He'll get to the bottom of this with his ground penetrating radar.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Son of Brazil's new president, Flavio Bolsonaro, blinked and leaned on the Supreme Court, getting them to junk a corruption probe into one of his staffers. Said staffer was a driver who mysteriously had 1.2 million bucks flow through his account last year and made dozens of bank deposits back into the Bolsonaro family's accounts*.

The Supreme Court, being historically a bunch of robed coward rubber-stamping whatever autocrat loon is on the rise, granted it without a peep. So while technically a win, it also looks -terrible- for a government that supposedly came to power to fight corruption. Sure, they are trying to shift the focus and say that "fighting leftism is more important than battling corruption", and for a big chunk of their chud base that wrks, but a significant chunk of backers really did expect honesty (willingly ignoring 27 years of Bolsie's small-time crook antics in congress), because after all, only commies are corrupt, you know!

*: To clarify this, let me explain the most basic form of legislative corruption in Brazil. Each congressperson has a staff budget to hire staffers and such. A very common scam is to hire a bunch of friends or even nobodies for $10k a month, then have them send you back $5-8k each month (the percentage depending on how ravenous you are), while never showing up to work. You increase you gains tenfold, they get a nice chunk of cash for nothing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A terrible situation happened a couple of hours ago. A Pemex pipeline in the state of Hidalgo suffered a leak around 6 pm. today and people from the vicinity took the chance to collect all the spilled fuel and unfortunately, the pipeline exploded an hour or so ago. So far Hidalgo's government has reported 20 casualties and more than 70 wounded.

https://twitter.com/revistaproceso/status/1086457910501277696?s=19

If any of you want to look for more info about it, be warned that people are uploading videos and pictures of sensitive nature all over Twitter and Facebook.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
On one hand, that's horrible.

On the other hand, pero que pendejos!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yikes. That was not a smart move, but desperate people take desperate measures I guess.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
People were bathing and frolicking with the fuel.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

People were bathing and frolicking with the fuel.
This exact scenario also happened in Pakistan 2 years ago. Except 150 casualties.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yikes. That was not a smart move, but desperate people take desperate measures I guess.

This is AMLO's explanation for the Army's lack of action before the explosion. Translation mine.

Milenio posted:

El presidente Andrés Manuel López Obrador reconoció que “no existe una orden sino que es una política” de este gobierno que los elementos de seguridad no actúen en contra de aquellos pobladores que “se ven obligados a cometer ilícitos”, pues su plan para acabar con el robo de combustible “no es policiaco ni militar” sino atendiendo las causas. Bajo esta política, los elementos de las fuerzas armadas no reaccionaron ayer en contra de quienes robaban el combustible en Tlahuelilpan, Hidalgo, que desembocó en una explosión que hasta ahora dejó 66 muertos y 76 heridos.

The President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador acknowledged that "there's not an order but rather, a policy" of this government than security forces don't act against those denizen "forced to commit crimes", since his plan to stop combustible theft "isn't police or militar related" but attacking the reasons for it. Due this policy, elements from the army didn't react yesterday against those stealing fuel in Tlahuelilpan, Hidalgo, that led to an explosion that so far has claimed 66 dead and 76 wounded.
http://www.milenio.com/politica/operativo-contra-huachicol-no-es-militar-dice-amlo

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 20, 2019

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It probably would have been wise to cordon off the area for safety reasons, but considering the noise some people have made about the existence of that military force I don't blame him for not wanting a clash

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Some army and police were there already, but the reports state that the people that arrived to collect the gas greatly outnumbered them and they were not able to stop them.

http://www.milenio.com/estados/pemex-recolectaban-combustible-hidalgo-militares-video

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It probably would have been wise to cordon off the area for safety reasons, but considering the noise some people have made about the existence of that military force I don't blame him for not wanting a clash

Especially because huachicoleros almost lynched some soldiers last week.

https://www.reporteindigo.com/reporte/reportan-intento-de-linchamiento-de-militares-en-zona-huachicolera-de-hidalgo-video-fotos/

https://www.jornada.com.mx/ultimas/2019/01/13/retienen-y-amagan-con-linchar-a-tres-militares-en-hidalgo-9397.html

I think the army did the right thing given their situation.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CgTfH4vMqk

The authorities actually warned the people of the risks.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
what the hell is going on in venezuela right now? is it happening? so soon?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

nerdz posted:

If China is extracting oil from the country with the biggest oil reserves in the world as payment for all that money borrowed, you bet your rear end the US has something to say in the matter.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

nerdz posted:

A coordinated effort between the US government and Venezuelan reactionaries to stage a coup.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shibawanko posted:

A coordinated effort between the US government and Venezuelan reactionaries to stage a coup.

No it is not. Maduro is the one who staged the coup several years ago by ignoring the results of a general election that went against his party by unconstitutionally creating a new legislative branch and continuing his policy of eating empanadas from a desk drawer while his cronies steal everything they can. There's seriously a whole thread in D&D about this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No it is not. Maduro is the one who staged the coup several years ago by ignoring the results of a general election that went against his party by unconstitutionally creating a new legislative branch and continuing his policy of eating empanadas from a desk drawer while his cronies steal everything they can. There's seriously a whole thread in D&D about this.

Let me tell you about American imperialism. :smuggo:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Aahehahahaehahahahahaehahaehaehaehaehaeheaheahaehaehaehaeha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/BrazilBrian/status/1088502934197940224?s=19

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Coups suck, but so does Maduro. US Imperialism is bad too, but at this point in history plenty of people should be aware that crying imperialism should not give you a free pass to do anything. I think both the Cold War and its aftermath have proved as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Plutonis posted:

Aahehahahaehahahahahaehahaehaehaehaehaeheaheahaehaehaehaeha

way to elevate the discussion, jackass

It's not particularly clear to me whether "the presidency is vacant because Maduro rigged the election and fabricated a parallel legislature" is more constitutionally valid than "Maduro is president forever because there is no remedy specified in the constitution for violations of the constitution at this level", but that just means it's a constitutional crisis initiated by exactly the events in the post you 'responded' to.

fortunately, the Supreme Court is dominated by Maduro flunkies